Author Topic: Do you have a solar panel?  (Read 8893 times)

Offline MrLeN

• Jesus is Lord
    • FreedomWorkshop
Do you have a solar panel?
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:01:40 am »
Do you have a solar panel at your house?

zafada

Re: Do you have a solar panel?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:33:25 pm »
I was thinking about buying some recently and of course I always shop on eBay so look at what I found:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p0.m38.l1313&_nkw=solar+panel&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Sorry guys, I don't care what you say.  I love eBay.  :*)

Offline MrLeN

• Jesus is Lord
    • FreedomWorkshop
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:17:47 pm »
eBay is ok for a lot of things, but Australia doesn't have a very good selection of solar products on eBay. I have already looked before. If I had 2 cents to bless myself with, I'd import a container from China and start selling them myself, lol.

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 08:33:30 am »
I wish I had some. Good thing I didn't order anything from the now shut down kensolar.com and get ripped off!

Offline Georgiacopguy

• 'Cause it's a revolution for your mind...K?!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:56:51 am »
I'd love to have solar panels at my house to subsidize our power usage and to supply hot water, but it's stuff that seems way above my pay grade both in price and knowledge. I have no idea where to start or what the most economical route would be. If anyone has advice, consider me soliciting it.
The resistance starts here. Unfortunately, the entire thing is moving beyond the intellectual infowar. I vow I will not make an overt rush at violent authority, until authority makes it's violent rush at me and you. I will not falter, I will not die in this course. For that is how they win.

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:15:04 am »
I'd love to have solar panels at my house to subsidize our power usage and to supply hot water, but it's stuff that seems way above my pay grade both in price and knowledge. I have no idea where to start or what the most economical route would be. If anyone has advice, consider me soliciting it.

No need for solar panels for hot water. That's done differently than electric-generating solar panels. For water, all your doing is running waterlines through a box thats black inside with a glass cover. No electric usage other than power for pumping the water to the panel, and even that can be eliminated by gravity.

For electricity, that's where it gets expensive, more and more because of the battery costs, as the panels are getting cheaper and new technology now allows panels to be massed produced in sheets like paper, eliminating the big, rigged panel boxes and the supporting structures. It's now possible to have panels lying right on top of your roof, or even have the shingles as panels.

It's getting better and cheaper in solar, but there's a ways to go yet. They MUST get the cost of energy storage WAY down. Collecting it is simple. Storing it is the problem!
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)

Offline Rainchild

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 11:43:28 pm »
If you could get the government to pay you to make your own energy would you do it?
http://www.homemade-solar-power.com/?hop=andrew1056

luckee1

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 11:52:23 pm »
How do the chemtrails affect the solar panel performance? 

Burlyguy made mentioned the chemtrails affected the fruit trees in his area; I am curious about this.  If the sky is obscured with chemtrails........?

Offline nustada

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 02:14:37 am »
No need for solar panels for hot water. That's done differently than electric-generating solar panels. For water, all your doing is running waterlines through a box thats black inside with a glass cover. No electric usage other than power for pumping the water to the panel, and even that can be eliminated by gravity.

For electricity, that's where it gets expensive, more and more because of the battery costs, as the panels are getting cheaper and new technology now allows panels to be massed produced in sheets like paper, eliminating the big, rigged panel boxes and the supporting structures. It's now possible to have panels lying right on top of your roof, or even have the shingles as panels.

It's getting better and cheaper in solar, but there's a ways to go yet. They MUST get the cost of energy storage WAY down. Collecting it is simple. Storing it is the problem!

Unless your plan is to get off the grid, you don't even need storage, just and grid ready inverter.

As far as batteries go, I think it would be better to build you own "flow battery". If you lived of the grid, you could use the electrolyte from the flow battery to run cart motors and things like that.

If you want to go on the cheap, what I am planning on doing in the near future, is to buy sub commercial grade pannels, broken and chipped pannels, then wire them and test with a simple volt meter to get the desired voltage (wire in series) and amperage (wire in parallel). (comparing with one good panel for baseline test)

Offline Georgiacopguy

• 'Cause it's a revolution for your mind...K?!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 02:40:42 am »
I'm not really looking to get enough power to run the house during the day and night. Personally, I'd like enough to run the house and turn the dial backwards, adding power back to the grid to the point that the only billable time they get me is after dark. But in theory, if I turn the dial back enough during the day, then at night, say prime time viewing hours, I m ight catch back up, but at most they'd only get me for a few billable kilowatt hours. I'd be willing ot make that kind of trade off, my question is, how much square footage of solar panel would I need to accomplish this?
The resistance starts here. Unfortunately, the entire thing is moving beyond the intellectual infowar. I vow I will not make an overt rush at violent authority, until authority makes it's violent rush at me and you. I will not falter, I will not die in this course. For that is how they win.

Offline nustada

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 03:14:10 am »
I'm not really looking to get enough power to run the house during the day and night. Personally, I'd like enough to run the house and turn the dial backwards, adding power back to the grid to the point that the only billable time they get me is after dark. But in theory, if I turn the dial back enough during the day, then at night, say prime time viewing hours, I m ight catch back up, but at most they'd only get me for a few billable kilowatt hours. I'd be willing ot make that kind of trade off, my question is, how much square footage of solar panel would I need to accomplish this?

Take you power bill, look at how many KW you use, then go shopping and do the math. The square footage can very widely by the quality of the panel, how you can mount it, and if you can mount it to track the sun and so on.

Offline thegirlthatstays

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 07:15:10 am »
We are thinking of moving to a house pretty soon and I guess I'll definitely inform myself about solar pannels then!

Offline JIDinPhilly

• http://www.sunpowernation.com
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 01:51:19 am »
I own a solar company. If you decide to buy a solar system in the US, you get a 30% federal tax creditnot a deduction. Depending on the state you live in, you get a rebate from the state. For example, the state of PA gives you $2.25 per watt DC. On top of those rebates, some states have a version of solar renewable energy credits. For every 1 megawatt (1,000 kw's) your system produces, you get 1 credit/certificate. In the state of NJ, each one of those credits is worth $500. The way you figure out how many credits your system will produce is multiply 1.25 times the system size. So if you have a 5 kw sized system (average size for an average house) 1.25 x's 5= 6.25 solar renewable energy credits per year. 6.25 x's $500= $3125 in income per year. You can sell those credits for a total of 15 years. PA's credits are worth $280 as well as Ohio. Florida, oddly enough, doesn't have any renewable energy credits. Go figure. But, the state of Florida is offering $4.00 per watt DC. If you want to know what your state offers, go check out www.dsireusa.org . If you add up the state rebate, federal tax credit, electric savings, and renewable energy credits in the state of NJ, your solar system will be paid off in 4 years! And it doesn't matter how big or small the system is, the numbers work out the same. If anybody has any questions about solar, feel free to email me. My company www.sunpowernation.com .

Offline Gandalf

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 05:54:21 pm »

Yeah it's so expensive it takes like 8-12 years for the panels to pay for themselves even WITHOUT storage costs, unless you're in central Africa or somewhere where they have loads of sun. To tell you the truth you would be WAY better off buying silver, gold or palladium instead of blowing your money on some solar panels. I think it's a good idea to have one panel to run a laptop computer or ham radio set but I wouldn't go beyond that for now unless you're loaded with $$$.

Solar water heaters are a different story they are much cheaper per square foot than solar panels and they convert much more energy in to hot water than solar panels which only convert 10 - 15% of the light in to electricity.