Author Topic: GUN SHOPPING  (Read 73258 times)

Offline jkm1864

• I drink Cool-Aid
Re: GUN SHOPPING
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2009, 12:37:25 am »
The article was good except for one mistake that he made. The M14 is not tapped or threaded for a scope and was never designed for a scope. You would have to get a after market scope mount that only mounts on two points meaning it can loose its zero. I have tried to mount a 2300 dollar scope on mine and the cheek weld sucks so bad I decided to put it on my new AR15 instead. The reason that is important is because when You put Your cheek to the stock You want to have an instant target instead of spending Your time moving Your head around trying to acquire a target. I will more than likely have to get a custom stock that has a raised stock so I will be able to mount a scope on it effectivly. I hope I am not discouraging anyone from buying one because in my opinion its the finest battle rifle ever produced by american craftsmanship. The rifle has the best iron sights bar none and nothing compares. I know out of all the rifles I have thats the one I would carry especially since it can punch through 2 vests with two rifle plates at the same time.

Offline d3adp00l

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2009, 10:57:04 pm »
Prefered setup for myself

9mm carbine/smg for 100m and less.

308 rifle semi, 100m and beyond.

calico 950/ar10

in lue of that there are options

G3 is a great rifle, but it does do a number on brass, which makes reloading not possible, but if your not reloading then it dont matter

The fn fal is a bit heavy to haul around, and the ar10 is pricey, and mags are too,

The rock river lar8 uses fn fal mags which is nice.

I would like to see a keltec rfb I like the bullpup style of it, gives you long gun range in a package that is manuverable. But not having one makes it a decision I cant give a thumbs up or down on yet.

Everyone knows of the mp5 and it is a great 9mm carbine, but very pricey, Bushmaster carbon 15 9mm is a good alt for 9mm carbine, and the keltec sub 2000 is a cheap choice but they do the job, The LAR-9 is another good one. Basically something that can have a lot of rounds, it won't punch armor, but thats what the 308 is for.

another combo to mention is the fn 5-7 piston and the ar57, both take 5.7 ammo and the piston is 20 rounds stock, the ar uses p90 mags which means 50 rounds, damned good if you can get the good ammo. The stuff the sell here is a toned down version of it and is not nearly as effective as the mil 57 rounds.

And the 57 is not a commonly carried round, which makes it a bit harder to um, barrow from a "buddy" while "at the range"

Offline KoWBoY

• Super Patriot
    • WAR ON YOU
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2009, 11:03:40 pm »

Everyone knows of the mp5 and it is a great 9mm carbine, but very pricey, Bushmaster carbon 15 9mm is a good alt for 9mm carbine, and the keltec sub 2000 is a cheap choice but they do the job, The LAR-9 is another good one. Basically something that can have a lot of rounds, it won't punch armor, but thats what the 308 is for.

And the 57 is not a commonly carried round, which makes it a bit harder to um, barrow from a "buddy" while "at the range"

You get shot at a lot?
Placement is Key.
Violence Begets Compliance.
Ignorance is Temporary. Stupid is Forever.
I HUNT! Because the voices in my head tell me to.
http://waronyou.com/forums/index.php

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2009, 01:21:25 pm »
If I am able to obtain the proper rifle & ammo for my husband & myself, where would we go to learn to shoot them?

Offline KoWBoY

• Super Patriot
    • WAR ON YOU
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2009, 01:27:34 pm »
If I am able to obtain the proper rifle & ammo for my husband & myself, where would we go to learn to shoot them?

Where you are located will determine where to learn to shoot.

Do you know anyone or have friends or family that are familiar with firearms?

Placement is Key.
Violence Begets Compliance.
Ignorance is Temporary. Stupid is Forever.
I HUNT! Because the voices in my head tell me to.
http://waronyou.com/forums/index.php

Offline freeflying

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2009, 06:32:23 am »
All of the new ones at least from the 80's on are actually tapped and ready for scopes, scoped sniper rifles are the m-21. Springfield Armory is a M1A1, m-14 clone. If you do need a scope mount all the good ones use 3 points of contact and the mounts can be bought for as little as 40 bucks. Do some research on it before you buy. Many of the m-14 had receiver, barrel axis problems and this can be alleviated by Burris Z rings. I know.... ::)

Your bad 2300 dollar cheek weld ::) is easily alleviated by a cheap 20$ cheek pad that straps in place. Mine shoots 1/2" at a hundred when I am on target... 8) Is most definitely the best battle rifle ever made and is 50 state legal.

Putting a $40 scope mount on a $2000 rifle is just lame. They are not heat treated and will flex leading to poor accuracy. The quality mounts will stay in place for the life of the barrel if installed correctly but I have seen the cheap ones come loose and start throwing shots off in as little as 50 rounds with the Springfield mount which is the worst one. Burris rings are pretty much bottom of the barrel as well. If you are going to go through the trouble of mounting a scope get a good mount and good rings. A quality mount starts at $200 and good rings start at $150 and go up from there

Maybe the cast Springfield or other brand receivers had axis issues but I have never seen a actual military M-14 receiver have the problems you are talking about. Commercial rifle production standards suck and I have had issues trying to barrel some of them but actual real M-14 receivers are simple as it all lines up perfectly. Putting this one back together tomorrow.

Offline freeflying

« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2009, 06:54:59 am »
The article was good except for one mistake that he made. The M14 is not tapped or threaded for a scope and was never designed for a scope. You would have to get a after market scope mount that only mounts on two points meaning it can loose its zero. I have tried to mount a 2300 dollar scope on mine and the cheek weld sucks so bad I decided to put it on my new AR15 instead. The reason that is important is because when You put Your cheek to the stock You want to have an instant target instead of spending Your time moving Your head around trying to acquire a target. I will more than likely have to get a custom stock that has a raised stock so I will be able to mount a scope on it effectivly. I hope I am not discouraging anyone from buying one because in my opinion its the finest battle rifle ever produced by american craftsmanship. The rifle has the best iron sights bar none and nothing compares. I know out of all the rifles I have thats the one I would carry especially since it can punch through 2 vests with two rifle plates at the same time.

All the real M-14's i own are tapped, threaded and slotted on the side for a mount. There are some commercial rifles that were made without this provision.

Offline Unintelligable Name

« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2009, 08:45:04 pm »
Yeah cheap parts on an expensive gun never made sense to me.

Cheap scope rings coupled with an expensive scope, or a cheap scope on an expensive gun are really comical.

I have a friend who threw a Leupold Rifleman series scope that cost about $250 on his $4,300 .50 BMG with $40 scope rings...

You want the good shit, you have to fork out the cash -- but speaking from my own experience, it's generally worth it.

Offline mad_norwegian

« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2009, 10:49:39 pm »

50 Cal M82 Barrett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NCJFI7T6Zc&feature=related

Penetrates a manhole cover 3 1/2 inches thick, “bullet resistant" glass  3/4 inches thick, 4 cinderblocks and a 600 pound safe.

Cost about $7,500 and available for purchase at your local Cabela's sporting goods outlet.

Absolutely! one i would have in my arsenal if i could buy it here in europe. My army have this rifle plus G3 plus glocks model 17 and 19. I live in norway, with very harsh artic climate. FN-FAL's froze here when guys from the british army were up here training some years back. I'd go for either a FN-FAL or G3, but my personal pref in the conditions up here would be a G3.

I would go for durability and reliability plus its millitary value ALL THE WAY! Guns are not likely to be used in a war now, but in 20-30 years, who knows. Probably your son or grandson will be the one that would need them, so get guns that will last and work long after guns are banned, in a time where spare parts is almost impossible to get.

Heres what I would buy:

- A .50 cal rifle (like this barret) since its truly a supreme long range sniper rifle and will have a big millitary value
- G3 rifle(s) (PTR-91 are said to be good american-made G3 clones)
- Glocks (.45 is a civilian round, 9mm is used by armies world wide and seems to be a standard, so i'd go for a 9mm)

There you have an excellent setup. Maybe add an AK47, a heavy barrel 308 rifle like remington 700 in case .50 ammo is impossible to get and a shotgun also (like remington 870) if you have money for it. Probably you dont, but these things might come handy too.

Get spare parts, springs, extra barrel etc, lots of ammo, oil it well and hide it for a bad day. A PVC pipe you seal with silicon and dig down in a semented drum or something somewhere nobody will find it.

Then as a second priority i would buy bulletproof vests, helmet, night optics etc. Not likely to be banned/regulated.
Third priority extra food, water-purifyer, antibiotics/first aid equipment, gassmask, solar cell panels, ovens so you can heat your house by firewood (in a cold climate), gold, pay off debt.

But remember, guns will be more valuable than gold if outlawed and will give you a good bargain for trade in those circumstanses.

Offline mad_norwegian

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2009, 10:27:02 am »
I shot my .50 nine times today and everyone on the range was scared to shoot it.... With Ap rounds it will travel through at least 24" of wood. ;D

Theyre actually ment for armored wihecles, theyre the poor man's bazooka and you can hit targets 2000 yards away (thats about whats considered "effective range" on these rifles) and thats why its such a great rifle millitarily speaking. Its the ultimate weapon of war. In kosovo, 50 or so of these rifles got in the hands of the albanians and played a significant role in the war there.

Each family should have a .50. Learn your wife to shoot and handle a .50, she'll be an excellent sniper. Men should focus on close-combat. I would say sniping is the perfect combat-role for women, they can be at a safe distance from the target with a .50 or give you cover-fire when you engage the enemy if youre family are threatened.

Offline Tsul777

« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2009, 01:58:27 am »
Couldn't help it!!

Merry Merry!
I AM POLITICALLY AGNOSTIC AND PROUD OF IT - John Tsul

Offline BlackPowderBill

• Purchase reloading components
    • BlackPowderBill
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2009, 11:01:46 am »
Thanks for the link.  That helps.  It seems that buck-shot would be ideal for home defense (short-range).

birdshot more pellets and it will cut through a 2" board at 20 feet.
FFL, Muzzle Loaders, Lead, Brass n' Bullets
BPBRS on www.GunBroker.com
WWW.BlackPowderBill.com

Offline VulpesVafrae

• el-CIA(duh!)
« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2009, 01:25:16 pm »
No way on birdshot, yes it can kill, but I wouldn't rely on it. Remember that guy cheney shot? Its like shooting a bunch of low power .22s compared to shooting a bunch of .45s. But its good to carry some bird shots around because it makes your SHTF gun more versatile. Allows you to easily get small game in a survival situation.
America is doubleplusgood today. It has always been doubleplusgood.