Author Topic: Austin's Police Chief is Out for Blood  (Read 922 times)

Offline New Whirled Order

Austin's Police Chief is Out for Blood
« on: October 18, 2008, 10:00:10 pm »
This has been all over the news here for the last couple of days....  There is audio from Friday's news conference imbedded in the link from the original story. 

http://www.590klbj.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=1033795

Austin's Police Chief is Out for Blood
Newsroom
10/17/2008

Austin's top law man says he plans to pull out all the stops to keep drunken drivers off the capital city's streets and highways.

Police Chief Art Acevedo said Friday his department will press for search warrants in the event drivers pulled over and arrested for Driving While Intoxicated refuse a blood alcohol test.

"With those parties, we're seeing more and more people drinking. If you drink excessively and you drive, the Austin Police Department is going to be out there to save you from hurting somebody and to hold you accountable," Acevedo said. "We'll have an enforcement posture that if you're arrested for DWI and you refuse a chemical test, we'll then take all legal action to obtain that blood test."

More at link....

Offline jkm1864

• I drink Cool-Aid
Re: Austin's Police Chief is Out for Blood
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 10:42:05 pm »
I don't blame him one bit. When I was younger I was an idiot and drove really drunk. The drunk driving ended when I almost killed my friends in the car with me. Now I sit around the house instead of going to the bar. Now if I goto a bar I call a cab and guess what its alot funner because no one has to worry about driving. So what is a better deal 20$ with more fun or driving drunk and killing a family or paying 5k+ in fines. I think drunk drivers are selfish people and if one ever kills my family I'll probably kidnap the f**ker and drown his ass in whiskey.

Offline New Whirled Order

Re: Austin's Police Chief is Out for Blood
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 10:59:20 pm »
Over the years, folks have learned to refuse the breathalyzer test because it isn't very accurate or reliable.  Without a breathalyzer reading, cases are a little tougher to prosecute in court.