Author Topic: Bottled water has contaminants too, study finds  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Matthew

Bottled water has contaminants too, study finds
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:51:33 am »
Not the typical propaganda because this article acknowledges chemicals in tap water as well.

This doesn't surprise me:

Bottled water has contaminants too, study finds

By JEFF DONN – 12 hours ago

Tests on leading brands of bottled water turned up a variety of contaminants often found in tap water, according to a study released Wednesday by an environmental advocacy group.

The findings challenge the popular impression — and marketing pitch — that bottled water is purer than tap water, the researchers say.

However, all the brands met federal health standards for drinking water. Two violated a California state standard, the study said.

An industry group branded the findings "alarmist." Joe Doss, president of the International Bottled Water Association, said the study is based on the faulty premise that a contaminant is a health concern "even if it does not exceed the established regulatory limit or no standard has been set."

The study's lab tests on 10 brands of bottled water detected 38 chemicals including bacteria, caffeine, the pain reliever acetaminophen, fertilizer, solvents, plastic-making chemicals and the radioactive element strontium. Though some probably came from tap water that some companies use for their bottled water, other contaminants probably leached from plastic bottles, the researchers said.

"In some cases, it appears bottled water is no less polluted than tap water and, at 1,900 times the cost, consumers should expect better," said Jane Houlihan, an environmental engineer who co-authored the study.

The two-year study was done by the Washington-based Environmental Working Group, an organization founded by scientists that advocates stricter regulation. It found the contaminants in bottled water purchased in nine states and Washington, D.C.

Researchers tested one batch for each of 10 brands. Eight did not have contaminants high enough to warrant further testing. But two brands did, so more tests were done and those revealed chlorine byproducts above California's standard, the group reported. The researchers identified those two brands as Sam's Choice sold by Wal-Mart and Acadia of Giant Food supermarkets.

In the Wal-Mart and Giant Food bottled water, the highest concentration of chlorine byproducts, known as trihalomethanes, was over 35 parts per billion. California's limit is 10 parts per billion or less, and the industry's International Bottled Water Association makes 10 its voluntary guideline. The federal limit is 80.

Wal-Mart said its own studies did not turn up illegal levels of contaminants. Giant Food officials released a statement asserting that Acadia meets all regulatory standards. Acadia is sold in the mid-Atlantic states, so it isn't held to California's standard. In most places, bottled water must meet roughly the same federal standards as tap water.

The researchers also said the Wal-Mart brand was five times California's limit for one particular chlorine byproduct, bromodichloromethane. The environmental group wants Wal-Mart to label its bottles in California with a warning because the chlorine-based contaminants have been linked with cancer. It has filed a notice of intent to sue.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Shannon Frederick said the company was "puzzled" by the findings because testing by suppliers and another lab had detected no "reportable amounts" of such contaminants. She said Wal-Mart would investigate further but defended the quality of its bottled water.

The researchers recommend that people worried about water contaminants drink tap water with a carbon filter.
On the Net:

* Environmental Working Group: http://www.ewg.org

Offline california

Re: Bottled water has contaminants too, study finds
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:54:48 am »

My Berkey water filter gets more valuable all the time.

If I was  a NWO devil, 

I'd LOAD bottled water with bacteria and toxic chemicals too.

Thank God we woke up.

Offline GlobalCordon

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:01:02 pm »
Rain water is the best way apart from a filter..... Well it would be if they whernt polluting the sky's with fuc*ing chemtrails!

Offline Elvis M.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 12:07:13 pm »
I heard somewhere that the fluoride molecules are the same size as water molecules, so once the water is contaminated, there is no way to filter it out.  Anybody know about this?  I'm trying to find a safe bottled water that I can buy from the store as I don't have enough money to drop on a Berkey.  I have been getting Pure Life because it is reverse osmosis filtered.  However... it is made by nestle, and I believe they had a representative at Bilderburg this year.
"Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds"

~Albert Einstein~

Offline Neutron

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 12:08:05 pm »
Distilled water is the best. Then run through a Berkey. I suggest buying a dehumidifier and using the water it accumulates and then run that through the Berkey. The Ecoloblue is essentially a high output dehumidifier.

Offline HYDROGENPAL

• Friends Of Austin, unite and create a plan..
    • Run your car on water.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:12:23 pm »
I heard somewhere that the fluoride molecules are the same size as water molecules, so once the water is contaminated, there is no way to filter it out.  Anybody know about this?  I'm trying to find a safe bottled water that I can buy from the store as I don't have enough money to drop on a Berkey.  I have been getting Pure Life because it is reverse osmosis filtered.  However... it is made by nestle, and I believe they had a representative at Bilderburg this year.
NESTLE no, the rev osm. does not filter the flouride. just do a google search for a flouride filter they have them for home water systems or showers which you should consider also.

I drink distilled water only as I dont trust anything.
You can make cheap water diistillers very easy do a google video search and you will find a bunch.
plus if you end up out in the tent cities you have learned how to make clean water for you and yours and even sell it to the mass im sorry trade it only.
“He who fails to assert his rights has none.”

Offline HYDROGENPAL

• Run your car on water.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:13:18 pm »
Distilled water is the best. Then run through a Berkey. I suggest buying a dehumidifier and using the water it accumulates and then run that through the Berkey. The Ecoloblue is essentially a high output dehumidifier.

thats it true true true

Offline GlobalCordon

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 12:16:29 pm »

Dude step away from Nestle.... Serious. They are responsible for thousands of infant deaths in the 3rd world, if not 100,000's.

Offline Elvis M.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »
I had actually thought about running the dehumidifier water through a berkey.  Can't afford a berkey though.  Distilled water is prob the way to go.  Is the stuff in the stores fine, or is it absolutely essential that I purchase a water distiller?  I'm not opposed to the idea, and I would like to eventually get one when I can.
"Small is the number of people who see with their eyes and think with their minds"

~Albert Einstein~

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 12:27:14 pm »
Dude step away from Nestle.... Serious. They are responsible for thousands of infant deaths in the 3rd world, if not 100,000's.

Thanks for mentioning that. It's true, if anyone wants to read more about it, I made a topic about it here:
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=54951.0
Alex' sponsor, the Berkey waterfilter, would be a better alternative, it's made in America by a small American businessman.

Offline GlobalCordon

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 12:35:29 pm »
Thanks for mentioning that. It's true, if anyone wants to read more about it, I made a topic about it here:
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=54951.0
Alex' sponsor, the Berkey waterfilter, would be a better alternative, it's made in America by a small American businessman.

Cheers for the PP forum link. I was just wondering if that was on here!

Offline hellcatjr

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 01:35:49 pm »
Rain water is the best way apart from a filter..... Well it would be if they whernt polluting the sky's with fuc*ing chemtrails!

IMO, rain water is probably as bad as tap if you're living in a city area or near heavy industrialization, as well as not to forget those lovely chemtrails! Get them radioactive isotopes people! You must have cancer!!
'A Man can only become great, when he understands his place in time' - JPM Jr.

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 02:10:29 pm »
Cheers for the PP forum link. I was just wondering if that was on here!
Any underreported large scale injustice will eventually be exposed here. That's the beauty of the PP forum.

Offline california

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 02:18:50 pm »
  Can't afford a berkey though.  

good news.... the Berkey Lite I bought is AWESOME and around $200....

Thank God we woke up.

Offline HYDROGENPAL

• Run your car on water.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 03:56:52 pm »
I had actually thought about running the dehumidifier water through a berkey.  Can't afford a berkey though.  Distilled water is prob the way to go.  Is the stuff in the stores fine, or is it absolutely essential that I purchase a water distiller?  I'm not opposed to the idea, and I would like to eventually get one when I can.
the berkey
JUST BUY THE REPLACEMENT filters and you can make the bottem parts yourself

Offline HYDROGENPAL

• Run your car on water.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 03:58:31 pm »
good news.... the Berkey Lite I bought is AWESOME and around $200....

you wasted 100$ as the bottem peices are just plastic and a bib. lol

i took 2 old 5 gall. bottels and drilled some holes slide the berkeys in there and put it over a new bucket and drilled in a bib. thats it.

Offline Elvis M.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 04:00:41 pm »
the berkey
JUST BUY THE REPLACEMENT filters and you can make the bottem parts yourself
Thank you, smart thinking.  That might be doable for us.  

~Albert Einstein~

Offline HYDROGENPAL

• Run your car on water.
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 04:03:23 pm »
Thank you, smart thinking.  That might be doable for us.  
i took pictures ill try and get them on here tonight when i get home.

Offline Elvis M.

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 04:06:57 pm »
Awesome!  I really appreciate it.  It will be good to save some money and still be able to drink toxin free water.

~Albert Einstein~

Offline KiwiClare

• Either you're with us or with the terrorists
    • Northland New Zealand Chemtrails Watch
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 07:22:26 pm »
To be persuasive, we must be believable,
To be believable, we must be credible,
To be credible, we must be truthful.
- Edward R. Murrow

Offline HYDROGENPAL

• Run your car on water.
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 08:05:45 pm »
as i promised here are the pix of my berkey filters

and finished product

all i did was order the replacment filters yes it was 100 bucks but it will pay off when i am the only one with clean water

i cut the bottem off one bottel and drilled holes in the other thats all

Offline larsonstdoc

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 10:23:04 pm »

I'll take bottled water over tap water any day in my town.  We distill water and we find a cup of sand and other crap at the bottom of the distiller.  YIKES!
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline HYDROGENPAL

• Run your car on water.
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 12:07:15 pm »
as i promised here are the pix of my berkey filters

and finished product

all i did was order the replacment filters yes it was 100 bucks but it will pay off when i am the only one with clean water

i cut the bottem off one bottel and drilled holes in the other thats all
HAD TO BUMP THIS

Offline UpsetBrit

• I'M SPARTACUS!
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 12:13:44 pm »

It's not foolproof though. I saw a youtube video of a guy evaporating some water which has food dye in it. The sun evaporated water, which you might expect to be pure, contained the dye which he put in the original container. We can expect the same with rainwater and chemicals. I suppose you all knew this anyway.

I gotta shoot. Another death in the family...  :(
One mind at a time...

zafada

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 12:16:02 pm »
Good job man.  Glad to see some of are putting our minds to things.

I however, for some reason find that stream water from the mountains in upstate New York tastes cleaner than bottled or tap water.  I've never been sick from it and it's always been clean minus the cellular guys.

If animals can live a happy and healthy life, there's no reason why we can't.