Author Topic: Investigative Reporter Wayne Madsen Arrested  (Read 6850 times)

Offline changedname

Investigative Reporter Wayne Madsen Arrested
« on: March 19, 2009, 06:14:36 pm »
Investigative Reporter Wayne Madsen Arrested

Wayne Madsen
Online Journal
Thursday, March 19, 2009

This editor has covered the news in nasty dictatorships and corruption-ridden countries from Rwanda and Uganda to India and Thailand. I have also reported on journalists like our colleague John Caylor, who was arrested in Panama City, Florida, while trying to obtain public documents, pursuant to Florida’s open government law, on that state’s abuse and even murder of prison inmates.

In the eight years of the Bush-Cheney administration, I covered anti-war protests in Washington and never once did I face an arrest situation, although there were some close calls. My arrest-free journalism record was shattered last night in Alexandria, Virginia, while meeting a confidential source.

I hoped to report today on a significant link between “Sir” Allen Stanford’s collapsed Stanford Financial Group and a top Democratic Party lobbyist who is close to the Obama administration. I also hoped to report on the covert activities of Stanford’s operations in Venezuela and Panama.

That story will have to wait, unfortunately.

Last night, while meeting the source in O’Connell’s Irish pub in Alexandria, Alexandria police, who apparently had plainclothes police inside the St. Patrick’s Day-jam packed establishment, arrested my source for no apparent reason while I and the source’s wife looked on in shock. When I asked one of the men who forced the source to the ground outside why they were placing him under arrest, he shouted to me to “back off.” I asked the man if he was a police officer. His response was, “No, I’m a fireman.”

I then told the “fireman” that I was a member of the press, produced my credentials, and wanted to know what the charges were against my source. He then motioned to someone behind me who shoved me up against a police SUV and placed me in handcuffs.

I was taken to Alexandria city jail and booked for “drunk in public.” Of course, there was no blood test or field sobriety test administered by anyone, police or “firemen,” to prove the spurious charge.

Then again, I did not have it as bad as some people who have been victims of America’s “justice” system. I was not hooded, chained, placed on a plane for God-knows-where and subjected to torture by brutish Third World interrogators. Nor was I placed in solitary confinement without seeing the light of day. However, I was not permitted to speak to an attorney nor was I read my Miranda rights in this Kafkaesque post-Miranda era.

I am also quite concerned about the fate of my source whom I only saw once in the “lockup.” The cops were extremely physically rough with him for some unknown reason.

There was also something very unsettling about the police retaining custody of my reporter’s notebook for some three hours while I was under arrest.

In a way, I should not be surprised that this arrest took place in Alexandria. The town has always crawled with intelligence types and other covert players, from neo-Confederates involved with the global small arms business to the CIA-linked International Association of Chiefs of Police and the infamous U.S. Court for the Eastern District of Virginia national security “rocket docket” team of Chief Judge James Cacheris and his attorney brother, Plato. Alexandria is only outdone by trendy McLean for the greatest number of spooks per square mile.

However, Alexandria was not always a center for right-wing ne’er-do-wells. Alexandria was once the home of George Washington, the leader of the American Revolution. Its inns and meeting halls once attracted such revolutionary Virginia notables as Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and George Mason.

In 1735, New York publisher John Peter Zenger was charged with seditious libel and in a case many thought he would lose, he was acquitted of all charges. The Zenger case later spurred the founders of this nation to enshrine the freedom of the press in the First Amendment to the Constitution.

My trial is scheduled for March 25 at 9:30 am in the Circuit Court in Alexandria at 520 King Street in Room 201. I intend to plead not guilty to the charge against me and cite the First Amendment of the Constitution in my defense. I invite all those in the Washington area who value a free press to attend what I will simply call “mini-Zenger II.”

I, for one, will not see a free press in this nation go down without a fight. And I must also say that even in Uganda, a dictatorship, President Yoweri Museveni’s security agents never tried to stage an incident while I met opposition leaders at the Sheraton Hotel in Kampala. Although the agents were intently interested in whom I was meeting, they had much more class than the brutish Alexandria police and the “fireman.”

UPDATE 1X: WMR can report that our source was released from Alexandria jail and is doing fine today.

Offline Kain

Re: Investigative Reporter Wayne Madsen Arrested
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 07:18:23 pm »
I did not author what I am about to post, nor do I support it, and I paste it here only as an example of what an increasing number of folks think about the police state we live in.

Something I read on another board:

“What they do unto us, must be done unto them, but by a hundredfold. Let them suffer as we suffer, let them anguish as we anguish, let them feel the pain themselves, instead of acting as if they are above the people and are a special class of citizen.

Perhaps when the starvation starts they will have to choose which of their children to let die from lack of food, and they will realize that they should have stood WITH us, instead of against us. How shallow then shall their petty tyrant power trip seem to them? Let them, starving and dying, feast on the bloated entrails of their own dead children for sustenance, and then this behavior will stop.”

Graphic, to say the least, but I think what the person meant is that when it comes down to it, those who think they are above the people, will realize how low on the totem pole they really are, and will starve along with the rest of us. And then, and only then, when people are faced with cannibalism to eat the dead or die, will they realize what fools they were.
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome." - River Tam

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:07:10 pm »
I did not author what I am about to post, nor do I support it, and I paste it here only as an example of what an increasing number of folks think about the police state we live in.

Something I read on another board:

“What they do unto us, must be done unto them, but by a hundredfold. Let them suffer as we suffer, let them anguish as we anguish, let them feel the pain themselves, instead of acting as if they are above the people and are a special class of citizen.

Perhaps when the starvation starts they will have to choose which of their children to let die from lack of food, and they will realize that they should have stood WITH us, instead of against us. How shallow then shall their petty tyrant power trip seem to them? Let them, starving and dying, feast on the bloated entrails of their own dead children for sustenance, and then this behavior will stop.”

Graphic, to say the least, but I think what the person meant is that when it comes down to it, those who think they are above the people, will realize how low on the totem pole they really are, and will starve along with the rest of us. And then, and only then, when people are faced with cannibalism to eat the dead or die, will they realize what fools they were.

They should investigate Hitler's SA (brought Hitler into power then discarded so that the "pure blood" SS could take over) or Dresden.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline justin_o_guy

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 11:36:57 am »
To initiate the "Slowing of the Opression" I am waiting to see a few cops "Arrested" by a few citizens & detained & questioned after it surfaces that the cop has brutalized a Free Citizen for no reason. I dont want to see it & I am happy to report that where I live Ive seen nothing that would require any form of "Waking them up to rem,ember WHO they work for", but I know I would just be beside myself if I lived in the same town where some of these people get shot, tazed, beaten & generally mistreated by the very people whio have been taking the tax money from these same people in their paychecks. The courts have not kept police brutality in check, the leadership in the departments has not stopped it in the places where weve seen it as a problem,so, IF it will be brought under control, WHO will be the ones doing it?

Now, IF that was accomplished, would that tend to translate into Less Corruption UPstream, or is it just a reflection of corruption from above, doomed to exist until the cops see themselves as working for a Right & Righteous system?
I think the problem is more complex than a few cops actually behaving criminally. How we managed to Hire those who Want to be brutal, how they are protected instead of being held to a higher standard. I think it reveals a very broken system, corrupted from the top down.

Mike Philbin

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 03:07:40 am »
Last night, I was watching the story of Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceauşescu.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolae_Ceau%C5%9Fescu

Just looking at the austerity that bloke imposed on his countrymen was sickening. Well, it took them fifteen years of suffering but, once the army had mutinied Nicolae Ceauşescu was arrested, underwent a military tribunal for a couple of hours, then was taken outside and shot, his ranting wife beside him.

And you go. Yes, that's how We The People should resolve tyranny, tyrants and tyrannical corporate activies against us. Not by going along with it as those inculcated into the Nazi regime did for fear of their lives, but by being strong and demanding justice.