Author Topic: 'Very dangerous earthquake' rocks China - 7.5 on Richter Scale  (Read 43400 times)

Offline releasethebonds

• 2+2=5
BEIJING, China (CNN) -- An earthquake capable of causing major damage shook central China on Monday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

People gather outside on a street in Beijing, China, shortly after Monday's earthquake.

It registered a magnitude of 7.5, the survey said.

Two more earthquakes -- measuring 6.0 and 5.4 magnitudes -- happened nearby over the next hour, the USGS reported.

China's state-run CCTV reported no serious damage in Chengdu, a city of more than 10 million that is about 60 miles from the epicenter, in the eastern part of China's Sichuan province.

"This is a very dangerous earthquake," said Bruce Presgrave, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake has the potential to cause major damage because of its strength and proximity to major population centers, he said. In addition, the earthquake was relatively shallow, Presgrave said, and those kinds of quakes tend to do more damage near the epicenter than deeper ones.

The ground shook as far away as Beijing, which is 950 miles (1,528km) from the epicenter. They felt "a very quiet rolling sensation" that lasted for about a minute, according to CNN correspondent John Vause.

"Our building began to sway," he said.

Thousands of people were evacuated from Beijing high rises immediately after the earthquake.

The first earthquake happened at 2:28 p.m. local time (2:28 a.m. ET), the USGS said.

The earthquake was also felt in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taiwan, and as far away as Hanoi, Vietnam, and Bangkok, Thailand, according to the Hong Kong-based Mandarin-language channel Phoenix TV.
" The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." --J. Edgar Hoover

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
Re: 'Very dangerous earthquake' rocks China - 7.5 on Ricksters Scale
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:44:10 am »
China stocks end up, quake disrupts trade
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSSHA13550820080512
Mon May 12, 2008 3:57am EDT

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Chinese stocks rose 0.37 percent on Monday, bouncing from an early dip on fears that higher inflation may prompt economic cooling steps, but trade was disrupted by a strong earthquake in southwest China that rocked buildings in Shanghai nearly half an hour before the market closed.

The benchmark Shanghai Composite Index ended at 3,626.982 points. The index hit its intraday high of 3,668.857 around the time the earthquake hit.

Gaining stocks in Shanghai outnumbered losers by 636 to 245, while turnover in Shanghai A shares was active at 116.4 billion yuan ($16.7 billion), compared with Friday's 128.5 billion yuan.

Financial shares were mixed with Industrial & Commercial Bank of China, the country's biggest lender, rising 0.33 percent to 6.16 yuan.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 03:46:26 am »
China's tallest building evacuated after earthquake
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSSHA23731720080512
Mon May 12, 2008 3:57am EDT

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China's tallest building, the Jinmao Tower, and other high-rise buildings in Shanghai's financial district were ordered evacuated on Monday after tremors were felt from a strong earthquake in southwestern China's Sichuan Province, witnesses said.

On Monday, an earthquake measuring 7.5 rocked Sichuan province less than 100 km (60 miles) from the provincial capital of Chengdu, the U.S. Geological Survey said on its website.

It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties or damage from the tremor.

The tremor, centered 92 km northwest of Chengdu, was felt as far away as Beijing and Shanghai and in the Thai capital Bangkok, where office buildings swayed with the impact.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 03:47:06 am »
Strong China quake felt as far as Thailand
http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSSP239734
Mon May 12, 2008 3:42am EDT

* 7.5 magnitude quake hits Sichuan province, China

* Rescue teams en route to epicentre

* No tsunami warning (Adds quotes, details)

By Lindsay Beck

BEIJING, May 12 (Reuters) - An earthquake with a magnitude of 7.5 struck China's Sichuan province on Monday, less than 100 km (60 miles) from the provincial capital of Chengdu.

The quake was felt across much of China and as far southwest as Bangkok, Thailand's capital, some 3,300 km (2050 miles) away, where office buildings swayed for several minutes.

Chengdu a fast-growing metropolis of 10 million people and home to the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base is around 1,300 km (2070 miles) southwest of Beijing.

"All the buildings are swaying back and forth," said a university student in the central city of Wuhan, adding that people had rushed outside and one single-storey building had collapsed.

"We felt continuous shaking for about two or three minutes," said another office worker. "All the people in our office are rushing downstairs. We're still feeling slight tremblings."

China's tallest building, the Jinmao Tower in Shanghai, as well as other highrise buildings were ordered evacuated after the quake and aftershocks.

Many workers poured from their buildings in Bejing's financial centre, but there were no visible signs of damage. The subway system was unaffected.

The U.S. Geological Survey said on its website (http://earthquake.usgs.gov) that the quake struck at 0628 GMT at a depth of 29 km (18 miles). The agency originally put the strength of the quake at 7.8.

Japan's meteorological agency said no warnings for a tsunami has been issued.

Sources said there was no immediate impact to the Three Gorges Dam project, the weight of whose massive reservoir, hundreds of kms from Chengdu, experts have said could increase the risk of tremors.

A source at the biggest refinery in western China, Lanzhou, said the plant also appeared unaffected by the quake.

An official with the Sichuan provincial seismic bureau said the epicentre of the quake was in Wenchuan county, in the Aba Tibetan and Qiang Autonomous Prefecture, a mountainous area populated mostly by Han Chinese but with sizeable Qiang and Tibetan populations.

On Chinese state television, a reporter said that telephone calls to Wenchuan were not connecting. State TV also said the government was preparing to send rescue and aid teams to the region.

A receptionist at the Tibet Hotel in Chengdu said the hotel had evacuated its guests, but said things were "calm" there now. "It was very sudden and I am not sure what has happened elsewhere, but we are OK here," the receptionist said.

The quake was felt as far away as Vietnam and Thailand, startling office workers in high-rise buildings.

"We have a number of reports that high buildings along Sukhumvit and Sathorn roads (in Bangkok) felt the tremors, but there are no reports of damage," a geologist at Thailand's Meteorological Department told Reuters.

High-rise residential and office towers in the western suburbs of Vietnam's capital, Hanoi also shook for several seconds, witnesses said, but there was no visible damage. Hundreds of residents and office workers left the buildings as a precaution.

Offline releasethebonds

• 2+2=5
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:54:31 am »
In SANE for 4x posts on the POSTS SCALE ... sorry ... I am on 6 shots of tequila
" The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." --J. Edgar Hoover

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:30:43 am »
Tectonic and Volcanic Activity
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=38677.msg168309#msg168309

There are a lot of earthquakes in the news lately.

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 07:08:03 am »
Over 7 is a pretty strong quake, and aftershocks of over 5, wow. That ground was rockin'. Seeing the Chinese government is rather press-shy, most likely we won't learn what damage was really done.

It does seem there has been a few "unusual" quakes is less-prone areas, like in the Mid-West recently. Maybe the planets moving into alignment(increase/change in gravitational pull) thats schedued for 2012 really is having an affect. Or its nothing more than standard ground settle that naturally takes place, as the earth is really dynamic, and though it seems solid, its actually moving all the time, and stuff is banging into other stuff. Tends to make things go boom.  ;)
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)

Offline baldguy

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:47:29 am »
I am starting to believe in the 2012 end of time thing. Historical cycles of destruction. But the "end of time" being the end of time as we know it only. Calendars based on the spin of the earth and the rotation of the earth around the sun might not be as stable as we think. Chaos in the heavens as well as on earth. What I find confusing is how so many ancient civilizations were aware of these disruptions, and today with all of our technology we know little and speculate. It might be nice to find a little more time and slow the world a little. ::) Have to think positive or be really scared.

Offline netizen_x

• When Spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion
    • The Wild East
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:13 am »
In SANE for 4x posts on the POSTS SCALE ... sorry ... I am on 6 shots of tequila

I noticed the olive stirring the martini by itself and felt my self swaying on a long, slow wave but thought I was just a little drunk.

It was real though.

What number was it on the Tricksters Scale?

I think about, 20.
"Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, then honest people must do the same" ~ Leo Tolstoy

Offline netizen_x

• The Wild East
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 08:27:01 am »
I am starting to believe in the 2012 end of time thing. Historical cycles of destruction. But the "end of time" being the end of time as we know it only.

So now, every earthquake signals an event according to 2012, just as a typhoon, cyclone, or any other cataclysmic climatic event constitutes 'proof of global warming'.

Make an ideal prophecy and head towards it.
"Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, then honest people must do the same" ~ Leo Tolstoy

Offline baldguy

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 09:14:26 am »
Make an ideal prophecy and head towards it.

I am not a prophet and do not make prophecy,I was just responding to the previous post. I have more questions than answers. Global warming or climate change or weather pattern disruptions , all to complicated for me.

Offline netizen_x

• The Wild East
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 09:22:38 am »
Or its nothing more than standard ground settle that naturally takes place, as the earth is really dynamic, and though it seems solid, its actually moving all the time, and stuff is banging into other stuff. Tends to make things go boom.  ;)

It was an adjustment between the Eurasian and Himalayan plate. It's a big cog in the earth's techtonic machinery.

Offline jesqueal

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 09:24:46 am »
hmm what's the bets Fulford will say the US did this? - as part of the ultimatum game going on

zafada

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 01:52:32 pm »

Yay tequila.  So maybe this whole planet x thing is coming about?  Or possibly just haarp?  No wait, it could just be the earth, but I'd rather blame corrupt humans.

user111

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 03:04:53 pm »
And for those folks that shop at Wal (China) Mart,,your deliveries will be just abit late.

Offline Livefreeordie

• ~ Matthew 5:11,12 ~
    • Seek and Ye shall find!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 03:20:48 pm »
One natural disaster after another it seems. Very interesting times we are living in these days indeed.

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" ~ {2 Corinthians 6:14}

Offline mrwise

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 03:23:19 pm »
hmm what's the bets Fulford will say the US did this? - as part of the ultimatum game going on

HAARP or some other fancy toy might have been used for the Myanmar thing, but I think this Chinese EQ seems to be natural--no way Lord Rothchild/Rockefeller have toys this powerful.

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 04:05:21 pm »
HAARP or some other fancy toy might have been used for the Myanmar thing, but I think this Chinese EQ seems to be natural--no way Lord Rothchild/Rockefeller have toys this powerful.
They do:
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/december2004/291204earthquakeweapons.htm
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/january2005/170105hr2977.htm
Doesn't prove that they caused this earthquake,there's no way to tell if they did, since we don't know enough about it yet, but they're definitely capable of it.

Offline DCUBED

• Sieg Heil!
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 04:47:54 pm »
I think if the NWO was to create an earthquake in China they would of waited to do it during the Olympics.
“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”  - Arthur Conan Doyle

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." J. Edgar Hoover

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 05:01:18 pm »
I think if the NWO was to create an earthquake in China they would of waited to do it during the Olympics.
That'd make the plausible deniability very implausible. Anyway, I wonder why we're seeing all these disasters in the same time. Vulcano in Chili, cyclone in Burma, and now the Earthquake in China. Murphy's law?

Offline Pressed_Rat

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 05:07:19 pm »

WRONG!

The "terrorists" he is referring to is obviously not al-Qaeda, either.

Offline xereau

• Thread Killer
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 05:59:43 pm »
That'd make the plausible deniability very implausible. Anyway, I wonder why we're seeing all these disasters in the same time. Vulcano in Chili, cyclone in Burma, and now the Earthquake in China. Murphy's law?

I will personally need to see many more disasters in the coming few weeks to have even the slightest bit of suspicion that so called 'scalar weapons' and the Illuminati are behind them.

Anyone familiar with Project Blue Beam knows that this technology (if it exists) is going to be used to unearth some ancient civilization with artifacts that not only destroy all modern religion, but give us free energy.  Until this part of the plan unfolds, like I mean I SEE TEMPLES WITH CRYSTALS AND CRAP ON TV, I am going to assume this is just all natural.
Government is the Entertainment Division of the military-industrial complex. --  Frank Zappa

Offline xereau

• Thread Killer
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 06:08:27 pm »
HAARP is massively powerful, focussed radio waves.

The alleged type of technology that Project Blue Beam will use (earthquake creating technology included) involves something called SCALAR TECHNOLOGY.

Scalar technology is only myth at the moment according to all of the google searches I have tried on it.

This is supposed to be a form of directed magnetic resonance.... which breaks the known laws of physics.  It would take a unified theory to get a handle on concentrating magnetic beams, from what I can gather.

There isn't even a wikipedia entry debunking scalar tech.

I am not saying that ST does not exist, but, IT WOULD BE DETECTABLE and IT WOULD TAKE A MASSIVE ENERGY SOURCE, which in and of itself would be detectable.

The space machines in orbit, as seen in the 10 to 12 part series on www.rense.com, could be for this purpose.

But again until someone with magnetic resonance detection equipment shows the public beams coming from these things in orbit, I really think that scalar technology is New Age voodoo meant to intimidate and frighten.
Government is the Entertainment Division of the military-industrial complex. --  Frank Zappa

Offline cueball7

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 06:16:08 pm »

I really doubt Haarp antennas could pinpoint an exact spot for an earthquake-your talking almost Godlike powers to achieve that. Maybe an atomic bomb positioned at the correct place could cause an earthquake, but for the most part we're talking about a geological event that is constantly happening on our globe.

Now, if you want to talk about why we've seen an unprecidented amout of larger earthquakes, many active volcanos, freak storms and unusual weather(snow in May, tornados, etc.), you need look no farther then into the heavens. Planet X is real!!! The PTB will continue to keep this under wraps til the cows come home. We will be able to start seeing planet X with the naked eye next year. That will not be able to be debunked. Right now, about 90% of the articles on planet X, are trying to debunk its existence. But if you dig deep enough, you'll find out that this is the mother of all coverups.

Why do I mention this? Because Planet X has been passing by earth about every 3,650 years. And every time it passes by it causes a pole shift, which cataclismically changes the earths geography.

Be prepared for weather and seismic activity to pick up going toward the end of 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmdazwAcgw

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 06:24:27 pm »
I don't know guys, but when it involves breaking the laws of physics secret planet's that noone except for people on the internet will tell us about and stuff like that, it gets a little to crazy for me. There's reason to believe Nargis was engineered, and we know they can create earthquakes, but that's as far as I'll go. Fake second coming's of Christ and free energy is Rense territory to me.

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2008, 06:25:33 pm »
I really doubt Haarp antennas could pinpoint an exact spot for an earthquake-your talking almost Godlike powers to achieve that. Maybe an atomic bomb positioned at the correct place could cause an earthquake, but for the most part we're talking about a geological event that is constantly happening on our globe.

If they can pinpoint a communications satellite, why couldn't they focus a H.A.A.R.P. type technology on a 3 dimensional coordinate in the earth?

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

Offline jesqueal

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2008, 06:26:08 pm »

Now, if you want to talk about why we've seen an unprecidented amout of larger earthquakes, many active volcanos, freak storms and unusual weather(snow in May, tornados, etc.), you need look no farther then into the heavens. Planet X is real!!! The PTB will continue to keep this under wraps til the cows come home. We will be able to start seeing planet X with the naked eye next year. That will not be able to be debunked. Right now, about 90% of the articles on planet X, are trying to debunk its existence. But if you dig deep enough, you'll find out that this is the mother of all coverups.

Why do I mention this? Because Planet X has been passing by earth about every 3,650 years. And every time it passes by it causes a pole shift, which cataclismically changes the earths geography.

Be prepared for weather and seismic activity to pick up going toward the end of 2008.

nope. Just nope.

Offline Pressed_Rat

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008, 06:35:34 pm »
I don't know guys, but when it involves breaking the laws of physics secret planet's that noone except for people on the internet will tell us about and stuff like that, it gets a little to crazy for me. There's reason to believe Nargis was engineered, and we know they can create earthquakes, but that's as far as I'll go. Fake second coming's of Christ and free energy is Rense territory to me.

So you're saying there is no such thing as free energy?

Offline Pressed_Rat

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 06:37:54 pm »
So you believe in Planet X disinfo, yet you don't think HAARP is capable of causing earthquakes over a certain location, when it's admitted in the Bernard Eastlund patent.

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 06:48:53 pm »
So you're saying there is no such thing as free energy?
I strongly doubt it. I've heard some stories about plants creating energy and stuff like that but it just doesn't sound very credible to me. I also can't see how something like that could still be kept secret. But please don't hesitate to prove me wrong, it's an interesting subject.

Offline xereau

• Thread Killer
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 07:05:49 pm »
I really do not think HAARP technology causes earthquakes.

HAARP super excites ions in our upper atmosphere (mostly sodium) to the point of reflecting various wavelengths of EM radiadtion.  It quite literally makes a mirror out of gas.

This is all it does.

HAARP is thrown around constantly as some magical technology.  It is based on the exact same principle as your microwave oven.  In a microwave, the EM spectrum used is .. microwaves.  The specific frequency and amplitude used happens to have a harmonic resonance with water.  And whats in most if not all foods?  Water

HAARP uses the EM spectrum of radio waves.  Very powerful ones.  They are shot up into the ionosphere, which has harmonic resonance with sodium ions.  These ions are excited to the point where they will reflect other communications EM radiation.  The sodium ions can be excited to the point where they can emit light, hence the auroral part of the acronym.  The 'antennae' in the sky made by HAARP are specifically shaped and oriented 'panels' of excited sodium ions.  They are NOT capable of anything other than reflecting other EM radiation to other HAARP antennae.

HAARP can not cause earthquakes.  This is complete ignorance of the technology, or deliberate disinfo.

Like I mentioned above, scalar technology, something not proven to exist, period, is the alleged culprit of man made earthquakes.  Also as mentioned, these outbursts, from orbit, would be detectable, and as far as I know, never have been detected.

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2008, 07:07:34 pm »
HAARP is one technology that we know of. What have they got that we don't know about?

~Aldous Huxley

drewt431

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2008, 08:45:50 pm »
Massive quake kills nearly 10,000 in China
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24573168/

Offline Pressed_Rat

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2008, 12:57:44 am »
I strongly doubt it. I've heard some stories about plants creating energy and stuff like that but it just doesn't sound very credible to me. I also can't see how something like that could still be kept secret. But please don't hesitate to prove me wrong, it's an interesting subject.

Are you kidding me??  Do you even know what free energy is??  Free energy exists and is proven.  It's not a conspiracy theory just because the government has been suppressing it.

Offline Pressed_Rat

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:36 am »
HAARP is one technology that we know of. What have they got that we don't know about?

A lot.

Scalar interferometry, for one.

Offline Pressed_Rat

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2008, 01:03:28 am »
You speak without doing any research.  YOU are the one peddling disinfo.  It's admitted in the Eastlund patent that HAARP can cause earthquakes.  Where do you think that energy goes after it bounces off the ionosphere??  It goes into the earth, penetrating everything in its path along the way, including humans.  Why do you think it can also be used for mass mind control?  If you can send enough EM energy into the earth, you can trigger a massive earthquake.

It is an admitted fact that HAARP can create earthquakes. 

Get your facts straight before you call disinfo next time.

This is basic knowledge to anyone who knows anything about HAARP and EM weaponry.  It's common knowledge HAARP can cause earthquakes.

Read Nick Begich's book.

I really do not think HAARP technology causes earthquakes.

HAARP super excites ions in our upper atmosphere (mostly sodium) to the point of reflecting various wavelengths of EM radiadtion.  It quite literally makes a mirror out of gas.

This is all it does.

HAARP is thrown around constantly as some magical technology.  It is based on the exact same principle as your microwave oven.  In a microwave, the EM spectrum used is .. microwaves.  The specific frequency and amplitude used happens to have a harmonic resonance with water.  And whats in most if not all foods?  Water

HAARP uses the EM spectrum of radio waves.  Very powerful ones.  They are shot up into the ionosphere, which has harmonic resonance with sodium ions.  These ions are excited to the point where they will reflect other communications EM radiation.  The sodium ions can be excited to the point where they can emit light, hence the auroral part of the acronym.  The 'antennae' in the sky made by HAARP are specifically shaped and oriented 'panels' of excited sodium ions.  They are NOT capable of anything other than reflecting other EM radiation to other HAARP antennae.

HAARP can not cause earthquakes.  This is complete ignorance of the technology, or deliberate disinfo.

Like I mentioned above, scalar technology, something not proven to exist, period, is the alleged culprit of man made earthquakes.  Also as mentioned, these outbursts, from orbit, would be detectable, and as far as I know, never have been detected.

Offline menace

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2008, 01:18:51 am »
China quake death toll rises to about 10,000

A powerful earthquake toppled buildings, schools and chemical plants Monday in central China, killing about 10,000 people and trapping untold numbers in mounds of concrete, steel and earth in the country's worst quake in three decades.

The 7.9-magnitude quake devastated a region of small cities and towns set amid steep hills north of Sichuan's provincial capital of Chengdu. Striking in midafternoon, it emptied office buildings across the country in Beijing and could be felt as far away as Vietnam.

As Tuesday dawned, rescuers were frantically searching for more survivors, but rain was compounding the difficulty. Premier Wen Jiabao, who flew to the region, said rain was forecast for the next several days.

The government was pouring in troops to aid in the disaster recovery. Xinhua said 16,000 were in the area and 34,000 more were en route.

Snippets from state media and photos posted on the Internet underscored the immense scale of the devastation. In the town of Juyuan, south of the epicenter, a three-story high school collapsed, burying as many as 900 students and killing at least 50, the official Xinhua news agency said. Photos showed people using cranes, mechanical hoists and their hands to remove slabs of concrete and steel.

The news agency reported on Tuesday that another 1,000 students and teachers were buried and feared dead when a high school collapsed in Beichuan county. The building was reduced to a pile of rubble two yards high, it said.

Buried teenagers struggled to break free from the rubble in Juyuan, "while others were crying out for help," Xinhua said. Families waited in the rain near the wreckage as rescuers wrote the names of the dead on a blackboard, Xinhua said.

Parents of the dead students built makeshift religious altars at the site, resting the corpses on any available piece of plywood or cardboard, and burning paper money and incense in a traditional honor for their child in the afterlife, according to NPR's Melissa Block.

The earthquake hit one of the last homes of the giant panda at the Wolong Nature Reserve and panda breeding center, in Wenchuan county, which remained out of contact, Xinhua said. But the agency reported that 60 pandas at another breeding center in Chengdu were safe.

In Gansu province, which neighbors Sichuan, a 40-car freight train derailed and caught fire in the earthquake, Xinhua reported.

The freight train was carrying 13 tankers full of gasoline and was still burning Tuesday, when the first official confirmation of the accident came. Xinhua said there were fears the burning oil tanks, which had been buried by the rocks, could explode. More than 900 local residents were evacuated, it said.

In Chengdu, it crashed telephone networks and hours later left parts of the city of 10 million in darkness.

"We can't get to sleep. We're afraid of the earthquake. We're afraid of all the shaking," said 52-year-old factory worker Huang Ju, who took her ailing, elderly mother out of the Jinjiang District People's Hospital. Outside, Huang sat in a wheelchair wrapped in blankets while her mother, who was ill, slept in a hospital bed next to her.

The overall death toll increased to about 10,000, the official Xinhua News Agency reported Tuesday. It said nearly 10,000 people died in central China's Sichuan province alone and 300 others in three other provinces and the mega-city of Chongqing.

Worst affected were four counties including the quake's epicenter in Wenchuan, 60 miles northwest of Chengdu. Landslides left roads impassable Tuesday, causing the government to order soldiers into the area on foot, state television said, and heavy rain prevented four military helicopters from landing.

Wenchuan's Communist Party secretary appealed for air drops of tents, food and medicine. "We also need medical workers to save the injured people here," Xinhua quoted Wang Bin as telling other officials who reached him by phone.

To the east, in Beichuan county, 80 percent of the buildings fell, and 10,000 people were injured, aside from 3,000 to 5,000 dead, Xinhua said. State media said two chemical plants in an industrial zone of the city of Shifang collapsed, spilling more than 80 tons of toxic liquid ammonia. The news agency said about 600 people died in Shifang and up to 2,300 were buried by rubble.

Though slow to release information at first, the government and its state media ramped up quickly.

Wen, a geologist by training, held an early morning emergency meeting near Chengdu and ordered troops and police to clear the road north to Wenchuan.

"We must try our best to open up roads to the epicenter and rescue people trapped in disaster-hit areas," he said. Wen said the earthquake "was more serious" than expected.

Television footage showed large boulders and downed trees blocking the road to Wenchuan.

Disasters always pose a test for the communist government, whose mandate rests heavily on maintaining order, delivering economic growth, and providing relief in emergencies.

Pressure for a rapid response was particularly intense this year, with the government already grappling with public discontent over high inflation and a widespread uprising among Tibetans in western China while trying to prepare for the Aug. 8-24 Beijing Olympics.

"I am particularly saddened by the number of students and children affected by this tragedy," President Bush said in a statement.

U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said no aid requests had been made by China.

International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge sent his condolences to President Hu Jintao, adding: "The Olympic Movement is at your side, especially during these difficult moments. Our thoughts are with you."

The quake was the deadliest since one in 1976 in the city of Tangshan near Beijing that killed 240,000 — although some reports say as many as 655,000 perished — the most devastating in modern history. A 1933 quake near where Monday's struck killed at least 9,000, according to geologists.

Monday's quake occurred on a fault where South Asia pushes against the Eurasian land mass, smashing the Sichuan plain into mountains leading to the Tibetan highlands — near communities that held sometimes violent protests of Chinese rule in mid-March.

Much of the area has been closed to foreign media and travelers since then, compounding the difficulties of getting information. Roads north from Chengdu to the disaster area were sealed off early Tuesday to all but emergency convoys.

In Chengdu, the region's commercial center, the airport closed for seven hours, reopening only for emergency and a few outbound flights. A major railway line to the northeast was ruptured, stranding about 10,000 passengers, Xinhua said. Although most of the power had been restored by nightfall, phone and Internet service was spotty and some neighborhoods remained without power and water.

Nervous residents spent the night outside, some playing cards or heading to the suburbs. State media, citing the Sichuan seismology bureau, reported 313 aftershocks.

"Traffic jams, no running water, power outs, everyone sitting in the streets, patients evacuated from hospitals sitting outside and waiting," said Ronen Medzini, an Israeli student in Chengdu, via text message.

When it hit shortly before 2:30 p.m., the quake rumbled for nearly three minutes, witnesses said, driving people into the streets in panic.

"It was really scary to be on the 26th floor in something like that," said Tom Weller, a 49-year-old American oil and gas consultant staying at the Holiday Inn. "You had to hold on to something like that or you'd fall over. It shook for so long and so violently, you wondered how long the building would be able to stand this."

While most buildings in the city held up, those in the countryside tumbled. On the outskirts of Chongqing, a school collapsed, killing at least five people. Residents said teachers kept the children inside, thinking it was safer.

The city of Mianyang ordered all able-bodied males under 50 to take water and tools and walk or drive to Beichuan, where most of the buildings had collapsed.

State TV broadcast tips for anyone trapped in the earthquake. "If you're buried, keep calm and conserve your energy. Seek water and food, and wait patiently for rescue," CCTV said.

China's two stock exchanges suspended trading Tuesday in 66 companies based in the region in an effort to minimize potential disruptions from the disaster. In Tokyo, Toyota Motor Corp. spokesman Toshiaki Hori said production had been suspended at the company's Chengdu factory.

Although initially measured at 7.8 magnitude, the U.S. Geological Survey later revised its assessment of the quake to 7.9. Its depth — about six miles below the surface, according to the USGS — gave the tremor such wide impact, geologists said.

The earthquake also rattled buildings in Beijing, 930 miles to the north, causing evacuations of office towers. People ran screaming into the streets in other cities, where many residents said they had never felt an earthquake.

In Beijing, where hundreds of thousands of foreign visitors are expected for the Olympics, stadiums, arenas and other venues for the games were undamaged.

Li Jiulin, a top engineer on the 91,000-seat National Stadium — known as the Bird's Nest and the jewel of the Olympics — was conducting a site inspection when the quake struck. He told reporters the building was designed to withstand a 8.0 quake.

"The Olympic venues were not affected by the earthquake," said Sun Weide, a spokesman for the Beijing organizing committee. "We considered earthquakes when building those venues."

Some 660 miles to the east in Anhui province, chandeliers swayed in the lobby of the Buckingham Palace Hotel. "We've never felt anything like this our whole lives," said a hotel employee surnamed Zhu.

The massive Three Gorges dam, the world's largest about 350 miles to the east of the epicenter, was not affected, according to the information office of State Council Three Gorges Construction Committee. The area around the enormous dam remains increasingly precarious as rising waters in the reservoir have led to landslides.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/ap_on_re_as/china_earthquake

Offline iks83

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2008, 03:06:36 am »
The reason why there are so many earthquakes recently could be because
a) the earth is suddenly growing faster
b) just more reports on them in mainstream media

Its pushing the end of times and global warming and its a free distraction from more important issues. Like Bill Hicks said, you turn on the news and hear, WAR, FEMINE, DEATH, AIDS, HOMELESS, DEPRESSION, RECESSION, DROUGHT, FLOOD, FIRE... PITBULL!

Offline baldguy

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 04:22:53 am »
Since the first earthquake, there has been 35 more 4.5 or better in the last 30 hours. That is a whole lot of shaken for one area.