Author Topic: Global Warming / Climate Change scam  (Read 227071 times)

Offline AnarchyOK

Re: Global Warming / Climate Change scam
« Reply #400 on: October 07, 2010, 02:50:44 am »
Climate debate hijacked again

By Paul Murray

Julia Gillard's new climate change committee has been given the job of building a public consensus for some sort of carbon emissions reduction scheme after the dismal failure of last year's Copenhagen talks around which her predecessor built a fantasy of expectations.

That will be no easy task. Many Australians have turned off the issue, causing it to fall way down the list of public concerns.

Others remain highly agitated about it. They are the ones who reacted dramatically to Kevin Rudd's confusing decision to abandon his carbon trading scheme, bringing Labor within a whisker of losing government.

Building consensus will not be done by denying that such a complex issue is anything but multifaceted and riddled with uncertainties.

There is nothing simple about the politics of global warming and there is growing evidence that it is being used by groups with ulterior motives, which calls for the dispassionate scrutiny of policies that are presented as environmental but are often not.

The Gillard Government's early strategy is to take a totalitarian approach to anyone who is not a hardened adherent of the Chicken Little school of climate change alarmism.

Last week The Royal Society, released a new guide to climate change, which concedes there is major areas of uncertainty in the scientific understanding of what is happening.

"The guide summarises the current scientific evidence on climate change and its drivers, highlighting the areas where the science is well established, where there is still some debate, and where substantial uncertainties remain," is how Britain's foremost scientific body explained its approach.

And the considered response of new Climate Change Minister Greg Combet?

"The Government accepts the climate science," he said. "The debate has moved on."

Well, not according to the Royal Society's experts. But what would they know?

What the new guide shows is that scientists at their best are good at dealing with uncertainty.

Politicians, usually for their own crass objectives, want to create certainty where it doesn't exist.

Frankly, Mr Combet's response was an appallingly arrogant way to treat the public. And it is certainly no way to convince thinking Australians that the Government has the intellectual horsepower to come to terms with this issue.

Ms Gillard's manipulative approach to establishing her new committee is just as bad as Mr Combet's blinkered arrogance.

Her offer to include two coalition MPs as long as they accept the precondition of the need for a carbon price not only ignores the Opposition's contrary policy but backflips on her own rejection of a carbon tax during the election campaign.

It is unprecedented and an affront to the principles of a democracy that a parliamentary committee is established on the basis of its members agreeing to a preordained outcome.

"The committee will start from the position that a carbon price is an economic reform that is required to reduce carbon pollution, to encourage investment in low emissions technologies and complement other measures including renewable energy and energy efficiency," Ms Gillard said.

"A carbon price will build on these efforts and will create an incentive to reduce emissions, drive investment in renewable and low emissions technologies, create certainty for business investment and begin the adjustment of our economy to a cleaner energy future."

A sceptic needs to ask only one question of those seeking to assuage public concerns over climate change: if Australia cut its carbon emissions to zero, what effect would it have on climate change?

The honest answer is none. Zip. Nothing. So why do something economically damaging when it will have no affect on the problem?

The answer is that Australia needs to be part of any global response that has a prospect of success. We can hardly expect those who emit substantial amounts of greenhouse gas to act if we are not prepared to do the same. The trick is to keep in step with those who need to take the biggest strides.

Interestingly, the Gillard Government has had little to say about the United Nations climate talks under way in China this week. The conference seeks to recover from Copenhagen's failure, orchestrated mainly by the Chinese, and prepare a new international agreement for signing next year.

But the Tianjin meeting shows there is still no consensus between developed and developing countries. Of the two biggest emitters, America is still domestically frozen and China will not give up rapid economic growth to limit its own accelerating greenhouse output, continuing to blame the West for the problem.

Once again, the conference has bogged down as global warming is used for ulterior political objectives, such as the redistribution of wealth from rich to poor countries.

And the propaganda coming from non-government organisations (NGOs) who gather at these conferences shows global warming being used to construct new trade barriers, an objective that has more to do with anti-globalisation campaigning than the climate.

This is watermelon politics: green on the outside, red on the inside. The Greens internationally are pushing proposals for punitive tariffs against countries that do not adopt carbon reduction schemes, pushing back decades of global effort to improve competition.

Ms Gillard said her committee would consider various ways of introducing a carbon price "including a broad-based emissions trading scheme, a broad-based carbon levy, a hybrid of both".

Friends of the Earth International told developed nations at the China conference this week to shun carbon trading "which is unjust and makes bankers wealthy but prevents needed emission cuts in developed countries". The group that says it is the world's biggest grassroots environmental network just wants developed countries to make 40 per cent cuts to emissions and take the economic hit on the chin. It even opposes carbon offsets.

So not only the science remains unsettled. There is also much uncertainty around the proper responses to seemingly environmental agendas which often have little to do with the warming climate. Both areas need informed discussion, not heavy-handed attempts to shut down or control the debate.
"fear is the virus they use to divide us "

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #401 on: October 07, 2010, 01:44:51 pm »
Postcards from the future: illustrators imagine how London could be affected by climate change

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/8044199/Postcards-from-the-future-illustrators-imagine-how-London-could-be-affected-by-climate-change.html 

A display of photomontages imagining how London could be affected by climate
  change is on display at the Museum of London from 1 October 2010 to 6 March
  2011. The display and events form part of the Mayor's Story of London
  festival and the events are funded by Renaissance London. Like postcards
  from the future, familiar views of the capital have been digitally
  transformed by illustrators Robert Graves and Didier Madoc-Jones. They bring
  home the full impact of global warming, food scarcity, rising sea levels and
  how all Londoners will need to innovate and adapt to survive.

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline AnarchyOK

« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2010, 06:54:06 pm »
london actually looks quite nice under water .

Offline AnarchyOK

« Reply #403 on: October 13, 2010, 07:29:42 am »
US Professor :  ‘Global warming is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life’

Harold Lewis is Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Here is his letter of resignation to Curtis G. Callan Jr, Princeton University, President of the American Physical Society.

Anthony Watts describes it thus:

This is an important moment in science history. I would describe it as a letter on the scale of Martin Luther, nailing his 95 theses to the Wittenburg church door. It is worthy of repeating this letter in entirety on every blog that discusses science.

It’s so utterly damning that I’m going to run it in full without further comment. (H/T GWPF, Richard Brearley).

Dear Curt:
    When I first joined the American Physical Society sixty-seven years ago it was much smaller, much gentler, and as yet uncorrupted by the money flood (a threat against which Dwight Eisenhower warned a half-century ago). Indeed, the choice of physics as a profession was then a guarantor of a life of poverty and abstinence—it was World War II that changed all that. The prospect of worldly gain drove few physicists. As recently as thirty-five years ago, when I chaired the first APS study of a contentious social/scientific issue, The Reactor Safety Study, though there were zealots aplenty on the outside there was no hint of inordinate pressure on us as physicists. We were therefore able to produce what I believe was and is an honest appraisal of the situation at that time. We were further enabled by the presence of an oversight committee consisting of Pief Panofsky, Vicki Weisskopf, and Hans Bethe, all towering physicists beyond reproach. I was proud of what we did in a charged atmosphere. In the end the oversight committee, in its report to the APS President, noted the complete independence in which we did the job, and predicted that the report would be attacked from both sides. What greater tribute could there be?

How different it is now. The giants no longer walk the earth, and the money flood has become the raison d’ętre of much physics research, the vital sustenance of much more, and it provides the support for untold numbers of professional jobs. For reasons that will soon become clear my former pride at being an APS Fellow all these years has been turned into shame, and I am forced, with no pleasure at all, to offer you my resignation from the Society.

It is of course, the global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare. (Montford’s book organizes the facts very well.) I don’t believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist.

So what has the APS, as an organization, done in the face of this challenge? It has accepted the corruption as the norm, and gone along with it. For example:

1. About a year ago a few of us sent an e-mail on the subject to a fraction of the membership. APS ignored the issues, but the then President immediately launched a hostile investigation of where we got the e-mail addresses. In its better days, APS used to encourage discussion of important issues, and indeed the Constitution cites that as its principal purpose. No more. Everything that has been done in the last year has been designed to silence debate

2. The appallingly tendentious APS statement on Climate Change was apparently written in a hurry by a few people over lunch, and is certainly not representative of the talents of APS members as I have long known them. So a few of us petitioned the Council to reconsider it. One of the outstanding marks of (in)distinction in the Statement was the poison word incontrovertible, which describes few items in physics, certainly not this one. In response APS appointed a secret committee that never met, never troubled to speak to any skeptics, yet endorsed the Statement in its entirety. (They did admit that the tone was a bit strong, but amazingly kept the poison word incontrovertible to describe the evidence, a position supported by no one.) In the end, the Council kept the original statement, word for word, but approved a far longer “explanatory” screed, admitting that there were uncertainties, but brushing them aside to give blanket approval to the original. The original Statement, which still stands as the APS position, also contains what I consider pompous and asinine advice to all world governments, as if the APS were master of the universe. It is not, and I am embarrassed that our leaders seem to think it is. This is not fun and games, these are serious matters involving vast fractions of our national substance, and the reputation of the Society as a scientific society is at stake.

3. In the interim the ClimateGate scandal broke into the news, and the machinations of the principal alarmists were revealed to the world. It was a fraud on a scale I have never seen, and I lack the words to describe its enormity. Effect on the APS position: none. None at all. This is not science; other forces are at work.

4. So a few of us tried to bring science into the act (that is, after all, the alleged and historic purpose of APS), and collected the necessary 200+ signatures to bring to the Council a proposal for a Topical Group on Climate Science, thinking that open discussion of the scientific issues, in the best tradition of physics, would be beneficial to all, and also a contribution to the nation. I might note that it was not easy to collect the signatures, since you denied us the use of the APS membership list. We conformed in every way with the requirements of the APS Constitution, and described in great detail what we had in mind—simply to bring the subject into the open.<

5. To our amazement, Constitution be damned, you declined to accept our petition, but instead used your own control of the mailing list to run a poll on the members’ interest in a TG on Climate and the Environment. You did ask the members if they would sign a petition to form a TG on your yet-to-be-defined subject, but provided no petition, and got lots of affirmative responses. (If you had asked about sex you would have gotten more expressions of interest.) There was of course no such petition or proposal, and you have now dropped the Environment part, so the whole matter is moot. (Any lawyer will tell you that you cannot collect signatures on a vague petition, and then fill in whatever you like.) The entire purpose of this exercise was to avoid your constitutional responsibility to take our petition to the Council.

6. As of now you have formed still another secret and stacked committee to organize your own TG, simply ignoring our lawful petition.

APS management has gamed the problem from the beginning, to suppress serious conversation about the merits of the climate change claims. Do you wonder that I have lost confidence in the organization?

I do feel the need to add one note, and this is conjecture, since it is always risky to discuss other people’s motives. This scheming at APS HQ is so bizarre that there cannot be a simple explanation for it. Some have held that the physicists of today are not as smart as they used to be, but I don’t think that is an issue. I think it is the money, exactly what Eisenhower warned about a half-century ago. There are indeed trillions of dollars involved, to say nothing of the fame and glory (and frequent trips to exotic islands) that go with being a member of the club. Your own Physics Department (of which you are chairman) would lose millions a year if the global warming bubble burst. When Penn State absolved Mike Mann of wrongdoing, and the University of East Anglia did the same for Phil Jones, they cannot have been unaware of the financial penalty for doing otherwise. As the old saying goes, you don’t have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing. Since I am no philosopher, I’m not going to explore at just which point enlightened self-interest crosses the line into corruption, but a careful reading of the ClimateGate releases makes it clear that this is not an academic question.

I want no part of it, so please accept my resignation. APS no longer represents me, but I hope we are still friends.
    Hal

Harold Lewis is Emeritus Professor of Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara, former Chairman; Former member Defense Science Board, chmn of Technology panel; Chairman DSB study on Nuclear Winter; Former member Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards; Former member, President’s Nuclear Safety Oversight Committee; Chairman APS study on Nuclear Reactor Safety
Chairman Risk Assessment Review Group; Co-founder and former Chairman of JASON; Former member USAF Scientific Advisory Board; Served in US Navy in WW II; books: Technological Risk (about, surprise, technological risk) and Why Flip a Coin (about decision making)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100058265/us-physics-professor-global-warming-is-the-greatest-and-most-successful-pseudoscientific-fraud-i-have-seen-in-my-long-life/

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
    • JACKSON HOLLY'S OLD HOME PLACE
« Reply #404 on: October 13, 2010, 07:35:00 am »

Postcards from the future: illustrators imagine how London could be affected by climate change

What? No exploding children?

St. Augustine: -The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it.
Let it loose; it will defend itself.-

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #405 on: October 14, 2010, 04:26:18 am »
US Professor :  ‘Global warming is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life’

Harold Lewis is Emeritus Professor of Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Here is his letter of resignation to Curtis G. Callan Jr, Princeton University, President of the American Physical Society...[/url]

That is one of the most uplifting articles I have read in weeks! No doubt he will be labeled a crackpot, but who cares perhaps it will give others courage to step up, speak out, and tell the truth.

:)

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #406 on: November 06, 2010, 03:36:33 pm »
Carbon Trading - How it works and why it fails

This accessible, well-researched book provides a devastating critique of both the theory and practice of carbon trading, which lie at the heart of global climate policy.

http://www.tni.org/carbon-trade-fails

Contents

Chapter 1 »
introduces carbon trading, how it works and some of the actors involved.

Chapter 2 »
explores the origins and key actors involved in building the architecture of emissions trading.

Chapter 3 »
examines the performance of the EU ETS and finds that it has generously rewarded polluting companies while failing to reduce emissions. Many of the scheme’s fl aws, from the overallocation of permits to pollute onwards, are found to be fundamental to the cap and trade approach more generally.

Chapter 4 »
outlines the performance of the CDM and looks at four case studies of CDM projects in Thailand, India, Indonesia and Brazil; it argues that off sets projects, even those that promote renewable energy, will not be a solution to climate change.

Chapter 5 »
outlines what could work and ways forward for political organising around questions of climate change.

~Aldous Huxley

Offline AnarchyOK

« Reply #407 on: November 11, 2010, 09:17:27 am »
where do i find it ?

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #409 on: December 20, 2010, 01:31:04 pm »
Bitter summer freeze bites eastern states as summer gives way to snow and cold

* By Dana McCauley and news.com.au
    * December 21, 2010 12:00AM

Hikers at Charlotte Pass lookout in the NSW Snowy Mountains were greeted with 10cm of fresh snow as a cold snap hits the eastern coast of Australia. Picture: Steve Cuff Source: The Daily Telegraph
Bondi

* Victoria, NSW hit by bitter cold snap and snow
    * Wind and rain wreak havoc in other states
    * Comes as Europe also hit by big freeze

THONGS and board shorts gave way to beanies and scarves yesterday as summer gave way to a wintry blast of snow and icy temperatures in the country's southeast.

While the bitter freeze in Europe continues, Victoria and NSW have had a cold snap of their own, with off-season ski slopes transformed into winter wonderlands.

About 30cm of snow fell at Perisher in NSW yesterday, while Victoria's Mount Hotham received a 10cm dusting on Sunday.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/bitter-summer-freeze-bites-eastern-states-as-summer-gives-way-to-snow-and-cold/story-e6frfkvr-1225974173962#ixzz18gKqhdWT

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Celebrome

« Reply #410 on: December 20, 2010, 01:37:55 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/8044199/Postcards-from-the-future-illustrators-imagine-how-London-could-be-affected-by-climate-change.html 

A display of photomontages imagining how London could be affected by climate
  change is on display at the Museum of London from 1 October 2010 to 6 March
  2011. The display and events form part of the Mayor's Story of London
  festival and the events are funded by Renaissance London. Like postcards
  from the future, familiar views of the capital have been digitally
  transformed by illustrators Robert Graves and Didier Madoc-Jones. They bring
  home the full impact of global warming, food scarcity, rising sea levels and
  how all Londoners will need to innovate and adapt to survive.

Watts up with that had a good news articles on almost the same thing but was from National Geographic. Even after doubling the speed at wich the Ocean are supposed to be rising, it would take 23 300years to  rise to the level they were giving.

I still remember in the 90's we were wishing for snow here in Montreal for Christmas eve and they were telling us that soon we wouldnt have any more snow before at least the end of Januray. Its December and we have lots of snow and for the last 5 years we had really early snow storm and lots of it.

Offline AnarchyOK

« Reply #411 on: January 05, 2011, 08:01:57 am »
boy are they really hammering the global warming scam bigtime at the moment now, ive heard it on radio station news that 2010 was our hottest year on record thanks to climate change, A new program on BBC knowledge i think about global warming, all the fish that is washing ashore dead in new zealand, arkansas, & massachussetts ,media is blaming it on warmer water temps thanks to global warming, they're upping the ante, im sure i missed a couple others in the paper aswell to do with icebergs and sea level rise here in perth. I think they are trying to convince themselves its real.

Offline Celebrome

« Reply #412 on: January 05, 2011, 08:53:55 am »
boy are they really hammering the global warming scam bigtime at the moment now, ive heard it on radio station news that 2010 was our hottest year on record thanks to climate change, A new program on BBC knowledge i think about global warming, all the fish that is washing ashore dead in new zealand, arkansas, & massachussetts ,media is blaming it on warmer water temps thanks to global warming, they're upping the ante, im sure i missed a couple others in the paper aswell to do with icebergs and sea level rise here in perth. I think they are trying to convince themselves its real.

Yup!! dead fish are caused by warmer water even if colder temperature were observed during the couple of day before they started to die. They keep trying to claim that Cold is hot. Just look at whats going on all over the world. Chili had a winter colder then Antartica and record snow because its getting hotter. Brazil had snow storm for the first time because its hotter there now because of global warming. Huge snow storm and extreme cold are suppose to hit the West coast because of Global warming. Europe isnt getting colder, its getting warmer, that why they have big snow storm and cold record.  Mongolia last winter had more then 20 millions cattle dying from the cold but its only because its getting warmer.  These poeple tell you the opposite of reality.

1 month ago they were all claiming that global warming would give us warmer weather and that cold was something of the past then one studies from the same group that has been caught lying to us again and again are claiming that they said it would get colder and now all thoses green freak are like LOOK!!!!! WE TOLD YOU!!!! when in reality they never said a thing about colder weather. Hansen was behind this new studies about colder weather. This guy was there in 70's claiming a new ice age was about to hit, then he switched to global warming and CO2. He is also the guy that was telling us a couple of week ago that all the earth quake were made because of global warming when everybody knows that climate change does not affect the movement of the tectonic plate. He has also been involved in many data manipulation and false studies that were all proven has totaly wrong.

Offline Celebrome

« Reply #413 on: January 06, 2011, 10:59:46 am »
here is some of thoses crazy people who bought in to the big lies.

They are not only recommanding that we put stuff in the water but now they have lots of other ideas such has putting something in Cigarets to kill thoses who smoke. They also recommand that instead of using animal for lab test that they use thoses who smoke....  They are also telling you that Vasectomy is the best thing you could do for the earth and reducing CO2.

A guy joined the page and he has a photo of him and is baby...... they are insulting him and acting bad toward of him because he has a Larvae.... they dont even call them Baby anymore but Larvae..... this is sick!!! these people are dangerous !!!

Offline Celebrome

« Reply #414 on: January 06, 2011, 11:03:41 am »

Offline AnarchyOK

« Reply #415 on: January 07, 2011, 02:48:30 am »
Yup!! dead fish are caused by warmer water even if colder temperature were observed during the couple of day before they started to die. They keep trying to claim that Cold is hot. Just look at whats going on all over the world. Chili had a winter colder then Antartica and record snow because its getting hotter. Brazil had snow storm for the first time because its hotter there now because of global warming. Huge snow storm and extreme cold are suppose to hit the West coast because of Global warming. Europe isnt getting colder, its getting warmer, that why they have big snow storm and cold record.  Mongolia last winter had more then 20 millions cattle dying from the cold but its only because its getting warmer.  These poeple tell you the opposite of reality.

1 month ago they were all claiming that global warming would give us warmer weather and that cold was something of the past then one studies from the same group that has been caught lying to us again and again are claiming that they said it would get colder and now all thoses green freak are like LOOK!!!!! WE TOLD YOU!!!! when in reality they never said a thing about colder weather. Hansen was behind this new studies about colder weather. This guy was there in 70's claiming a new ice age was about to hit, then he switched to global warming and CO2. He is also the guy that was telling us a couple of week ago that all the earth quake were made because of global warming when everybody knows that climate change does not affect the movement of the tectonic plate. He has also been involved in many data manipulation and false studies that were all proven has totaly wrong.

yeah its unbelievable isnt it,and alot of people still believe this !
Totally unrelated but does anyone know why the wikileaks section was removed from the forum ? or was it moved somewhere else ?

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #416 on: January 07, 2011, 08:19:05 pm »
Lakes emit greenhouse gases, scientists claim

* January 08, 2011 1:15AM

GREENHOUSE gas emissions from inland waters is greater than previously thought, according to a Swedish-led team of international scientists, indicating that the environment's ability to absorb pollution might be exaggerated.

"In the debate, one often hears that the natural sinks can offset human fossil fuel emissions. Our results show that one cannot rely on it fully," said Professor David Bastviken, of Linkoping University, who led the study published on Thursday in the journal Science.

The findings suggested that naturally-occurring methane gas released from freshwater areas changes the net absorption of greenhouse gases by at least 25 percent.

Previous studies on greenhouse gas exchanges failed to account for methane gas naturally released from lakes and running water, the scientists concluded.

Prof Bastviken added that the volume of lake emissions is probably even greater than the researchers' estimates because methane bubbles are difficult to capture.

“The bottom line is that we have uncovered an important accounting error in the global carbon budget. Acre for acre, lakes, ponds, rivers and streams are many times more active in carbon processing than seas or land surfaces, so they need to be included in global carbon budgets,” said John Downing, an Iowa State University professor involved in the study.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/lakes-emit-greenhouse-gases-scientists-claim/story-e6frfku0-1225983993043#ixzz1APFXk5zQ

~Aldous Huxley

Offline AnarchyOK

« Reply #417 on: January 07, 2011, 09:25:49 pm »
Lakes emit greenhouse gases, scientists claim

* January 08, 2011 1:15AM

GREENHOUSE gas emissions from inland waters is greater than previously thought, according to a Swedish-led team of international scientists, indicating that the environment's ability to absorb pollution might be exaggerated.

"In the debate, one often hears that the natural sinks can offset human fossil fuel emissions. Our results show that one cannot rely on it fully," said Professor David Bastviken, of Linkoping University, who led the study published on Thursday in the journal Science.

The findings suggested that naturally-occurring methane gas released from freshwater areas changes the net absorption of greenhouse gases by at least 25 percent.

Previous studies on greenhouse gas exchanges failed to account for methane gas naturally released from lakes and running water, the scientists concluded.

Prof Bastviken added that the volume of lake emissions is probably even greater than the researchers' estimates because methane bubbles are difficult to capture.

“The bottom line is that we have uncovered an important accounting error in the global carbon budget. Acre for acre, lakes, ponds, rivers and streams are many times more active in carbon processing than seas or land surfaces, so they need to be included in global carbon budgets,” said John Downing, an Iowa State University professor involved in the study.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/lakes-emit-greenhouse-gases-scientists-claim/story-e6frfku0-1225983993043#ixzz1APFXk5zQ

Quick drain all the lakes. How ridiculous, when are they going to tell the public we exhale carbon too ,maybe we should stop breathing, According to environmentalists, everything causes Global Wariming, apart from anything they do themselves.

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #418 on: February 02, 2011, 07:17:15 pm »
CLIMATE CONCERNS
HOW DO YOU Save the Planet When You Don't Even Allow Others the Right to Discuss It....

An encapsulation of Richard Giles' presentation at Accidentally Carbon Street in Maleny on April 23rd, 2010

In 2006 I, like many of us here, saw the movie from Al Gore - "An Inconvenient Truth " and I had already accepted a lot of the data that he passed on in the movie - but , within another year I had begun to become a concerned climate questioner. I use the term 'questioner' as I am not and cannot be called a 'denialist'.
What is a denialist? My immediate reaction to defining the word based on what is discussed in newspapers around the world today is that a 'denialist' seems to be someone who denies that global warming is happening and further denies that carbon dioxide is the main culprit in the global warming phenomena.

The Macquarie dictionary says of 'denial'...
1.  a contradiction of a statement,
2.  refusal to believe a doctrine,
3.  refusal to recognise or acknowledge.

It seems that the word 'denial' has taken on a new meaning. As someone who's been active and instrumental in the environment movement for over 25 years I am now nonplussed by the anger and vehemence that some in the green movement express to attack those who question the scientific 'consensus' on climate, carbon dioxide and temperature. The role of the democratic right to question and query orthodox views seems to have been thrown right out the window. Those who do this are those who previously espoused the rights of all citizens to protest it is a democratic right to do so. But, no more is this allowed!
PM Kevin Rudd in a speech in November 2009 said that those who question the climate consensus have the fate of all children's lives on their conscience. In the UK a conference has been held to discuss the notion that climate denialism is a "mental illness". In February 2008 Dr David Suzuki publicly called for politicians sceptical of a man-made climate crisis to be thrown " into jail because what they are doing is a criminal act ".

Meteorologist Hajo Smit of Holland 
PM Kevin Rudd in a speech in November 2009 said that those who question the climate consensus have the fate of all children's lives on their conscience. In the UK a conference has been held to discuss the notion that climate denialism is a "mental illness". In February 2008 Dr David Suzuki publicly called for politicians sceptical of a man-made climate crisis to be thrown " into jail because what they are doing is a criminal act ".

Al Gore's movie caused some considerable ruckus in schoolrooms across the western world as some teachers and parents objected to the use of the movie in schools maintaining it was not educational but political and thus had no place in the education system. In the UK a parent by the name of Stewart Dimmock legally challenged the use of the film as an educational aid.

I quote from Wikipedia on the case - "The plaintiff sought to prevent the educational use of An Inconvenient Truth on the grounds that schools are legally required to provide a balanced presentation of political issues. The court ruled that the film was substantially founded upon scientific research and fact and could continue to be shown, but it had a degree of political bias such that teachers would be required to explain the context via guidance notes issued to schools along with the film. The court also identified nine errors in the film, and ruled that the guidance notes must address these errors specifically."

The British court cited nine supposed 'facts' passed off as science in the Gore movie:

1.   The film claims global warming is responsible for the gradual retreat of the alpine glacier atop Africa's Mount Kilimanjaro.
Scientists have conclusively demonstrated no such link exists.

2.   The film presents graphs indicating that fluctuating carbon dioxide levels have always preceded and caused global temperature fluctuations.
In fact, temperature changes have always preceded carbon dioxide changes.

3.   The film suggests global warming caused Hurricane Katrina.
Few hurricane experts believe this, and substantial scientific evidence indicates global warming is having no impact on hurricane frequency or intensity.

4.   The film asserts global warming is causing Central Africa's Lake Chad to dry up.
In fact, land use practices are causing the drying up of Lake Chad, and Central Africa is in an unusual and prolonged wet period.

5.   The film asserts global warming is leading to polar bear deaths by drowning.
Yet the only documented drowning deaths occurred due to a freak storm, and polar bear numbers are growing substantially.

6.   The film claims global warming threatens to halt the Gulf Stream and initiate a new ice age.
The vast majority of scientists who have studied the issue have determined such a scenario is implausible.

7.   The film asserts global warming is causing the destruction of coral reefs through bleaching.
Scientists have identified other causes for coral bleaching and have additionally noted bleaching is a natural process by which coral continually selects ideal symbiotic algae.

8.   The film asserts Greenland is in danger of rapid ice melt that will raise sea levels by 20 feet or more.
The scientific consensus is that any foreseeable Greenland ice melt will be gradual and will take centuries to substantially raise sea levels.

9.   The film asserts the Antarctic ice shelf is melting.
In fact, only a small portion of Antarctica is getting warmer and losing ice mass, while the vast majority of Antarctica is in a prolonged cold spell and is accumulating ice mass.

There are a considerable number of pressures put onto those people who have decide to move from the climate change and carbon dioxide theory and go over towards a more questioning role.

Prof. Garth Paltridge, CSIRO Atmospheric Researcher         
Right here in Australia we have a clear example of the CSIRO's leading atmospheric physicist and Chief Research Scientist with the Division of Atmospheric Research, Emeritus Professor Garth Paltridge. He was Director of the Institute of Antarctic and Southern Ocean Research Studies and CEO of the Antarctic Co-operative Research Centre.

When he made a comment in the mainstream media about his doubts about global warming, within two days of the comment he was told from in the highest levels of the CSIRO that if he should make such public comments again then it (the CSIRO) would not support his Antarctic research centre just then about to be set-up. After the event of the threat he found that the CSIRO was about, in his words "to abstract many millions of dollars of new climate research money from the federal government. "

He also informed us in his book ( The Climate Caper , 2009) of Dr Brian Tucker who was former Chief of CSIRO's Division of Atmospheric Research and a specialist in climate modelling. When he retired he began to write on all his concerns about global climate modelling and took a strong stance against the "sacred cows" of the global warming establishment. They eventually attempted to write him off by labelling him a 'usual suspect' in the pay of industry. This is a great label, Garth Paltridge says, which sidelines all those who question the influence of the "politically correct" line on warming.

The CSIRO and the BOM now present a joint front on global warming and Paltridge points out that there is no independent source of publicity for data on climate in Australian apart from a few scattered retirees out of these bodies, and they are usually marginalised.

Dr William Briggs, climate statistician 
At the International Conference on Climate Change in the held USA in 2008 in New York, it featured about 100 speakers including a team of international scientists who've formed an alternative body to the UN's IPCC. At this conference participant scientists revealed the lack of tolerance for alternative and sceptical views on climate and the role of merciless science journal editors when trying to get papers published that explored non-consensual views on climate.

Dr William Briggs, climate statistician, US Meteorological Society Probability and Statistics Committee and associate editor of Monthly Weather Review said at the conference, " Some of the guys had absolute horror stories of what happened to them when they tried getting papers published that explored non-consensus views. Really outrageous and unethical behaviour on the parts of some editors. I was shocked."
Meteorologist Joseph D'Aleo, director of Meteorology at the Weather Channel and former chairman of the US Meteorological Society's Committee on Weather Analysis noted that the fear of retribution kept many of his colleagues from the conference as they feared their attendance might affect their employment status. He noted in a speech that its very likely a silent majority of scientists in climatology, meteorology and allied sciences do not endorse what is said to be the 'consensus' position.

Dr. Joanne Simpson Atmospheric Scientist & Victor Manuel Velasco Herrera
The issue of polar bear numbers in the northern hemisphere prompts a similar debate and a putdown over dissenting scientists. In a Wall Street Journal news story of 2009, leading polar-bear biologist Mitchell Taylor says he has been ostracised by former colleagues for his views that global warming isn't man-made, and therefore, he says, it’s hard to predict what will happen to the climate or polar bears in the future.
"For the sake of polar bear conservation," Mr. Taylor's views "are extremely unhelpful," says fellow polar-bear biologist Andrew Derocher, explaining why most of Mr. Taylor's colleagues wouldn't welcome him at an international meeting.

Here in our own community of Maleny the Maple Street Coop published in their December 2008 edition an article by our Maleny resident Jon Woodlands titled "Global Warming: A Crisis of Credibility". The article dealt with a number of issues arguing inconsistency in the data on temperature rises and the state of the ice in Antarctica. It also dealt with the belief in carbon dioxide as a key global warming culprit pointing out that carbon dioxide constitutes about 0.038 % of the earth's atmosphere whereas water vapour makes up a half to 1 percent of the atmosphere. It ought to be considered a key contributor to warming on the planet but is not.

The publication of the newsletter hit the streets of Maleny like an Icelandic volcano. Within days the Coop email address was deluged with emails complaining about or supporting the article. The editor was deluged with emails as well and the resultant pressure caused her considerable distress. The email 'offensive' continued for weeks and even resulted in a couple of Maleny people threatening legal action if the Coop did not retract the article. Maple Street Coop hadn't seen much like this since the WTC came down after being hit by a couple of jet airliners (my exaggeration).

The anger directed at Jon Woodlands as author and the Coop and editor was simply not the sort of result that should have come from a community of people dedicated to creating a better world. The role of democracy in our system, which gives us the right to hold divergent views, seemed to fall away for weeks after that newsletter issue hit the streets. There were even accusations that copies of the newsletter were taken from outside the Coop and dumped in the bin.

Why does this happen in Maleny? Why does an article questioning global warming and putting an alternative point of view create such fear, loathing and anger? This is something that I'd really like you to address to each other in the audience here tonight and understand why we have allowed members of our community and Coop to be virtually persecuted because they hold a divergent view. If you strongly support global warming theory what makes you so angry at dissenters and questioner? Ask yourself why. What's the anger about? This is a legitimate question to ask.

The hoary issue of multinational funding of dissenters does not need a mention here in Maleny. You don't need to be told that no-one here is on the payroll of Enron, Shell, BHP or WalMart. It simply doesn't apply.
I'll close on this note from James Lovelock, developer of the Gaia Hypothesis, from the BBC to show how divergent scientist's views can be.

"Professor James Lovelock, the scientist who developed Gaia theory, has said it’s too late to try and save the planet. The man who achieved global fame for his theory that the whole earth is a single organism now believes that we can only hope that the earth will take care of itself in the face of completely unpredictable climate change. What is more, he predicts, the earth's climate will not conveniently comply with the models of modern climate scientists.

As the record winter cold testifies, he says, global temperatures move in "jerks and jumps", and we cannot confidently predict what the future holds. Scientists, he says, have moved from investigating nature as a vocation, to being caught in a career path where it makes sense to "fudge the data".

At the age of 90, Prof Lovelock is resigned to his own fate and the fate of the planet. Whether the planet saves itself or not, he argues, all we can do is to "enjoy life while you can". Trying to save the planet 'is a lot of nonsense'. "

http://www.maleny.net.au/AccidentallyCarbonStreet_RichardsSlides.php

~Aldous Huxley

Offline AnarchyOK

« Reply #419 on: February 13, 2011, 06:23:35 am »
brilliant post.

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #420 on: February 13, 2011, 04:11:16 pm »

Dr. Richard S. Lindzen ( b. February 8, 1940) is the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology, Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

He is one of the leading global warming skeptics and is a member of the Science, Health, and Economic Advisory Council, of the Annapolis Center, a Maryland-based think tank which has been funded by corporations including ExxonMobil. Writing in the Washington Post, Joel Achenbach wrote that "of all the skeptics, MIT's Richard Lindzen probably has the most credibility among mainstream scientists, who acknowledge that he's doing serious research on the subject."

Lindzen has been a keynote speaker at media events and conferences of a range of think tanks disputing climate change including the Heartland Institute and the Cooler Heads Coalition.

Richard Lindzen lecture on "The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming"

On scientists quoting the IPCC publications
"...any and every statement is justified by an appeal to athority (the IPCC) and rather than scientific argument..."

Lecture and Q&A at Fermilab 2-10-2010

1 of 9 Richard Lindzen - The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming - Fermilab Colloquium 2-10-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMkyjyk-VEk

2 of 9 Richard Lindzen - The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming - Fermilab Colloquium 2-10-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5AeI2DUgM

3 of 9 Richard Lindzen - The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming - Fermilab Colloquium 2-10-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqfRy1mjfc

4 of 9 Richard Lindzen - The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming - Fermilab Colloquium 2-10-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XnvYfgsSHk

5 of 9 Richard Lindzen - The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming - Fermilab Colloquium 2-10-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UneiApsqb2g

6 of 9 Richard Lindzen - The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming - Fermilab Colloquium 2-10-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOQhm45XJw

7 of 9 Richard Lindzen - The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming - Fermilab Colloquium 2-10-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcjiLZdc4Ns

8 of 9 Richard Lindzen - The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming - Fermilab Colloquium 2-10-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN3A14apN9A

9 of 9 Richard Lindzen - The Peculiar Issue of Global Warming - Fermilab Colloquium 2-10-2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mhm2wgylUQ

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #421 on: February 17, 2011, 04:24:58 am »

Surprise, surprise... ::)

Scientists connect global warming to extreme rain

* By Seth Borenstein in Washington
    * February 17, 2011 11:03AM

EXTREME rainstorms and snowfalls have grown substantially stronger, two studies suggest, with scientists for the first time finding the tell-tale fingerprints of man-made global warming on downpours that often cause deadly flooding.

Two studies today's issue of the journal Nature link heavy rains to increases in greenhouse gases more than ever before.

One group of researchers looked at the strongest rain and snow events of each year from 1951 to 1999 in the Northern Hemisphere and found that the more recent storms were 7 per cent wetter. That may not sound like much, but it adds up to be a substantial increase, said the report from a team of researchers from Canada and Scotland.

The study didn't single out specific storms but examined worst-of-each-year events all over the Northern Hemisphere. While the study ended in 1999, the close of the decade when scientists say climate change kicked into a higher gear, the events examined were similar to more recent disasters: deluges that triggered last year's deadly floods in Pakistan and in Nashville, Tennessee, and this winter's paralysing blizzards in parts of the US.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/scientists-connect-global-warming-to-extreme-rain/story-e6frfku0-1226007449781#ixzz1ED6Z5gbN

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #422 on: February 24, 2011, 04:27:36 pm »

Families will be worse off under Julia Gillard's emissions trading scheme for carbon

By Simon Benson and Alison Rehn
February 25, 2011 1:25AM

* Average house $300-500 worse off a year
    * Accusations a key promise has been broken
    * Gillard - Hung parliament changed everything

STRUGGLING families will be compensated with cash for rising energy costs when the Federal Government imposes a carbon tax on Australians from July 1 next year.

But most households won't be able to escape Prime Minister Julia Gillard's new emissions trading scheme, with forecasts that it will push power bills higher by between $300 and $500 a year.

Accused yesterday by the Opposition of betraying Australians, Ms Gillard formally broke a key election pledge and announced that the Government would impose a price on pollution from July 1, 2012, with a full emissions trading scheme to be operating as early as 2015.

It will be the most complex and broad-ranging carbon tax of almost any country in the world.

The actual carbon price has yet to be set, but industry experts claim that the flow-on costs of a moderate $26 price per tonne of carbon would result in a $300 rise in electricity bills due to the country's reliance on coal-fired power generation.

The price could be as high as $40 a tonne by 2020, adding anywhere up to $500 a year to bills. Petrol prices would also be expected to rise by 6.5c a litre.

The fixed carbon price would operate for between three and five years before a full market-based emissions trading scheme would come into operation between 2015 and 2017, with a floating price then to be set by the market.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/cash-to-smooth-labors-path-of-broken-promises/story-e6frfkvr-1226011690878#ixzz1Euy76EHA

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Letsbereal

• Know Thyself
« Reply #423 on: February 24, 2011, 04:52:53 pm »
Also have a look at this section of FPP:

PrisonPlanet Forum > ***THE MAIN BOARDS - Welcome to the Prison Planet Educational Forum and Library*** > General Discussion for the Prison Planet Educational Forum and Library >

MEXICO/CARBON TAX SUMMIT (Per Alex) > *CLIMATEGATE: Whistleblower exposes global warming is a HOAX! http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?board=435.40
->>>|:-) THE CITY INDIANS (-:|<<<-

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
Carbon Measuring Satellite fails - Second such mishap in two years
« Reply #424 on: March 04, 2011, 06:55:40 pm »

US satellite fails to reach orbit

* By Kerry Sheridan in Washington
    * March 05, 2011 7:41AM

A NASA satellite that aimed to study the impact of aerosols on climate has plunged into the Pacific Ocean, delivering a $US424 million ($418.43 million) blow to the US space agency.

The failure of the Glory satellite launch overnight was the second bungle for NASA climate science efforts in two years, and closely resembled a botched carbon satellite launch involving the same company, Orbital Sciences Corp, in 2009.

Glory could not reach orbit after its protective clamshell-like nose cone cover failed to detach after launch, engineers said as they struggled to figure out why the expensive technology collapse had happened yet again.

"We are all pretty devastated," said Ron Grabe, executive vice-president and general manager of the Virginia-based Orbital's Launch Systems Group, which made both the rocket and satellite.

Mr Grabe appeared at a press conference overnight along with other grim-faced executives and NASA experts as the US space agency announced the creation of a "Mishap Investigation Board to evaluate the cause of the failure."

"We encountered no anomalies" early on, NASA launch director Omar Baez said.

But a few minutes into the flight, it became apparent that separation of the cover, known as a fairing, had not occurred.

"We didn't see the indication of fairing separation," said Mr Baez. "We failed to make orbit and all indications are that the satellite and rocket are in the southern Pacific Ocean somewhere."

The launch of the satellite - to measure aerosols in the earth's atmosphere to help clarify their impact on climate - was delayed on February 23 after an unexpected ground control reading 15 minutes before liftoff.

On Friday local time it blasted off from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California aboard a four-stage Taurus-XL rocket at 2.09am (9.09pm AEDT), but NASA soon reported that it was slowing down and would not reach orbit.

A similar mishap took place in February 2009, when a satellite designed to monitor global carbon dioxide emissions plummeted into the ocean near Antarctica after failing to reach orbit, in a setback for climate science.

There too, a fatal mission error occurred minutes after liftoff when the fairing, which protects the satellite during its ascent, failed to separate properly.

But experts said it was too early to know if the Glory failed for the exact same reason, and that more analysis was needed.

"Right now we are crunching the data but there is not enough data that has been processed to tell any more than the fairing did not deploy," said Rick Straka, deputy general manager at Orbital.

Mr Grabe said engineers had done extensive research on the previous failure, and went so far as to completely change out the initiation system and replace it with another one that had flown successfully three times.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/us-satellite-fails-to-reach-orbit/story-e6frfku0-1226016257320#ixzz1FgJodPqw

~Aldous Huxley

Offline agentbluescreen

« Reply #425 on: March 04, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »
There is a G-d up there, protecting us!

the US space agency announced the creation of a "Mishap Investigation Board to evaluate the cause of the failure."

Well tell them not to make up any stories or throw out any evidence without checking wether the parts they can find came from the "satellite".

Funny they can investigate victimless crashes for private corporations getting rich off of the hoax of globalist warming with our money, yet they can't investigate airplane crashes when they involve the murders of 4,000 dead Americans

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #426 on: March 04, 2011, 10:39:55 pm »
There is a G-d up there, protecting us!

Well tell them not to make up any stories or throw out any evidence without checking wether the parts they can find came from the "satellite".

Funny they can investigate victimless crashes for private corporations getting rich off of the hoax of globalist warming with our money, yet they can't investigate airplane crashes when they involve the murders of 4,000 dead Americans

Yes, and the second such failure in as many years. I'm assuming the data collected from the satellites would be available to ALL who are interested in global warming including those of us called "deniers". Perhaps there are interests that would prefer that this type of data be made public.

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
    • JACKSON HOLLY'S OLD HOME PLACE
« Reply #427 on: March 05, 2011, 07:31:35 pm »

It would be interesting to know the exact nature of the dead satellite's proposed
"study". Were they aiming to measure, from space, the reflection from the mucky
overcast they are creating? What? My guess is it was military to "study" new,
destructive capacities for their chemical muck.

St. Augustine: -The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it.
Let it loose; it will defend itself.-

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #428 on: March 05, 2011, 09:07:59 pm »
Pricing carbon to give certainty: Garrett

* March 06, 2011 10:53AM

PRICING carbon will give Australian businesses much needed certainty about the direction of the local economy, cabinet minister Peter Garrett said today.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced 10 days ago she would move towards imposing a fixed carbon price from mid-2012, followed by an emissions trading scheme (ETS) with a flexible price and an emissions target from as early as 2015.

Mr Garrett said Labor was always committed to an ETS but did not elaborate on the controversial issue of introducing a carbon tax beforehand.

He defended the government's decision to introduce a policy it had effectively ruled out before the last federal election.

"It is agreed generally that the best and lowest cost option of reducing emissions is to have a price for carbon," Mr Garrett told Sky News.

"We can't afford to have a lack of certainty in the investment community or more generally in business about what appropriate actions will be taken to deal with reducing greenhouse gas emissions."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/pricing-carbon-to-give-certainty-garrett/story-e6frfku0-1226016590752#ixzz1FmFNaqd4

Newstopia - What's in a joke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwHUB7VbmG8

Peter Garrett Song - The Chaser's War On Everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRHbrRdhMPs

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #429 on: March 10, 2011, 02:04:12 pm »
Seas 'will swamp Sydney yearly'

* By Simon Benson
    * March 11, 2011 12:00AM

New report shows seas "will swamp Sydney yearly"
Alreadys a three-fold increase in inundation events
Scientists may have underestimated sea level rises

SYDNEY will suffer major sea level inundation events once a year instead of every 100 years, according to an alarming new report on climate change impacts from the Government's chief adviser.

And scientists may have underestimated the sea level rises expected by 2100, The Daily Telegraph reported.

Professor Ross Garnaut, the Federal Government's climate change adviser, called for deeper cuts to emissions and a more rapid move to a carbon tax based on the findings of his fifth official report.

Professor Garnaut acknowledged that public opinion was now divided over the issue and the debate had moved from science to politics.

In the report, major cities - particularly Sydney - are shown to be under much more immediate threat from sea level rises than previously predicted. It warned that there had already been a three-fold increase in inundation events in Sydney, according to data taken from Fort Denison in Sydney Harbour.

"The increase in incidence of extreme sea level events for some of Australia's largest cities is a factor of 1000, and for Sydney it is 10,000," the report said.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/seas-will-swamp-sydney-yearly/story-e6frfkvr-1226019439913#ixzz1GEFYJKaK

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
Calif. seeks right to sue power companies over greenhouse gases
« Reply #430 on: March 15, 2011, 07:33:21 pm »
Calif. seeks right to sue over greenhouse gases

Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer
San Francisco Chronicle March 15, 2011 04:00 AM

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

California and five other states are urging the U.S. Supreme Court to let them sue power companies whose plants emit greenhouse gases, saying legal action is needed as a backup for the Obama administration's embattled efforts to curb pollution that contributes to global warming.

The case, to be argued April 19, pits the states and environmental organizations against an unusual alliance: the energy industry, which opposes the emissions limits, and the Obama administration, which says such restrictions should be imposed by Congress and federal agencies, not the courts.

The Environmental Protection Agency plans to issue regulations in May 2012 that would limit emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases from the coal-burning plants that are the targets of the states' lawsuit.

Read more:
Code: [Select]
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/15/BAAH1IAOQ6.DTL

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2011, 06:54:27 am »

Wet March goes down in record books - BoM

* April 04, 2011 8:47PM

AUSTRALIA has recorded its wettest March since records began more than a century ago.

The country's average rainfall was 133.3mm, making it Australia's sixth wettest month ever, after February climbed to fourth on the list.

The Bureau of Meteorology's latest special climate statement said March was the month for breaking records, with almost half the country recording top-10 heaviest rainfalls.

The Northern Territory and Queensland led the charge, with both having their wettest March on record.

Southwest Queensland was particularly wet, with stations Bedourie and Glengyle achieving rainfalls of more than double the previous records which were set last year.

The heavy rain and resultant cloudiness also saw March record its coldest maximum temperature on record, of an average 29.82 degrees, 2.19 degree below average.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/wet-march-goes-down-in-record-books-bom/story-e6frfku0-1226033599086#ixzz1IYR8R0X1

~Aldous Huxley

Offline iks83

« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2011, 02:48:08 am »
PRICING carbon will give Australian businesses much needed certainty about the direction of the local economy, cabinet minister Peter Garrett said today.

And certainty they will get... they will with certainty go out of business.

Professor Ross Garnaut, the Federal Government's climate change adviser, called for deeper cuts to emissions and a more rapid move to a carbon tax based on the findings of his fifth official report.

Professor Garnaut acknowledged that public opinion was now divided over the issue and the debate had moved from science to politics.

In the report, major cities - particularly Sydney - are shown to be under much more immediate threat from sea level rises than previously predicted. It warned that there had already been a three-fold increase in inundation events in Sydney, according to data taken from Fort Denison in Sydney Harbour.

"The increase in incidence of extreme sea level events for some of Australia's largest cities is a factor of 1000, and for Sydney it is 10,000," the report said.

Insanity.... how is sea level rise linked to CO2? What about the sinking of the land? Or the rising of the ocean floor cause of volcanic activity? Hows a carbon tax fixing that? Their BS juggling of numbers is pissing me off..... yeah sea level events increase 1000 to 10000 fold... right... based on what data? They never tell you that in those silly articles. They probably redifined the term so suddenly much more events are considered extreme. The usual deception.

Calif. seeks right to sue over greenhouse gases

Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer
San Francisco Chronicle March 15, 2011 04:00 AM

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

California and five other states are urging the U.S. Supreme Court to let them sue power companies whose plants emit greenhouse gases, saying legal action is needed as a backup for the Obama administration's embattled efforts to curb pollution that contributes to global warming.

The case, to be argued April 19, pits the states and environmental organizations against an unusual alliance: the energy industry, which opposes the emissions limits, and the Obama administration, which says such restrictions should be imposed by Congress and federal agencies, not the courts.

The Environmental Protection Agency plans to issue regulations in May 2012 that would limit emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases from the coal-burning plants that are the targets of the states' lawsuit.

Read more:
Code: [Select]
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/15/BAAH1IAOQ6.DTL

I hope this will backfire one day. Can you imagine those retards go to court and real scientists show up proving that there is no connection of CO2 to climate change and whatnot? And they lose and coal plants can emmit as much CO2 as they want as long they dont emmit real pollution with it.

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2011, 03:12:37 am »
There is no logic to their insanity because it's all about the love of money and nothing else. Everything else is just smoke and mirrors.
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #434 on: April 17, 2011, 11:42:48 pm »

Food industry joins carbon tax fight

AUSTRALIA'S food and grocery sector has waded into the climate change debate saying Labor's proposed carbon tax could cut competitiveness, cost jobs and slash living standards.

Nineteen manufacturers, including Nestle, Bulla Dairy and Kimberly-Clark Australia, have joined the big miners in co-signing a letter to the Federal Government urging it to tread carefully.

The letter says without international action a carbon price could damage Australia's export and import markets.

That would also lead to job losses, a decrease in investment and a reduction in "the living standards of all Australians".

"Moreover, this could lead to a perverse outcome whereby global greenhouse gas emissions actually increase as market share or new investment shifts to nations using less efficient production methods," the letter states.

read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/food-industry-joins-carbon-tax-fight/story-e6frf7ko-1226040771726

~Aldous Huxley

Offline iks83

« Reply #435 on: April 18, 2011, 12:50:34 am »
Its really a joke when you think about it. Do you really think a conglomerate like Nestle has absolutely no power and influence to activly turn around the CO2 scam? To help expose it? Oh no they sign letters to the government to "tread lightly". Yeah right.

Its like with the oil companies. When Germany was forced to switch to 10% Ethanol fuel the oil industry complained and bitched... as if they absolutely have no influence on politics what so ever. Its all a charade. They act all as if its only the fault of the government and blame them cause those puppets are easily replaced and the people believe things change to the better and wont bother the corporations.

If its government doing it most people go along. If its corporations they are more willing to resist. But now the corporations can whine and say we dont like it either but the government forces us.... yeah right.

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #436 on: April 18, 2011, 04:17:55 am »
Its really a joke when you think about it. Do you really think a conglomerate like Nestle has absolutely no power and influence to activly turn around the CO2 scam? To help expose it? Oh no they sign letters to the government to "tread lightly". Yeah right.

Its like with the oil companies. When Germany was forced to switch to 10% Ethanol fuel the oil industry complained and bitched... as if they absolutely have no influence on politics what so ever. Its all a charade. They act all as if its only the fault of the government and blame them cause those puppets are easily replaced and the people believe things change to the better and wont bother the corporations.

If its government doing it most people go along. If its corporations they are more willing to resist. But now the corporations can whine and say we dont like it either but the government forces us.... yeah right.

It's probably a case of them just covering their asses. So later on when profits are down and jobs are lost they can say "we told you so". "it's not our fault."

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #437 on: May 15, 2011, 05:00:42 pm »

Consolidation.  >:(

Carbon tax may risk energy sector investment

Published 6:58 AM, 16 May 2011 Last update 6:58 AM, 16 May 2011

The Gillard government's proposed carbon tax may pose a risk to investment in the energy sector over several decades, according to a report obtained by the Australian Financial Review .

The government-commissioned report said the tax could result in an exodus of existing electricity generators and foreign investors if the price settings are not right.

Produced by the Investor Review Group – which includes Australian Energy Market Commission chair John Pierce and Australian Energy Regulator Andrew Reeves – the report says a "credible, stable and long-term pricing mechanism" by itself will not guarantee new investment in the energy market.

"Subject to the ultimate design, the carbon price mechanism has the potential to result in an unparalleled level of generator exit and entry in the Australian energy sector during a single investment cycle," the report says, according to the AFR.

more: http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/Carbon-tax-to-hit-industry-consumers-hard-reports-pd20110516-GVRLN?OpenDocument&src=hp3

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #438 on: June 09, 2011, 12:46:44 am »

Kill a feral camel and claim a carbon credit, says Dr Tim Moore

June 09, 2011 6:32AM

Feral camels decimate the environment and are found in high numbers throughout WA, NT, SA and NSW. Picture: AAP

Calls to cull Australia's 1.2 million wild camels
    Beasts produce an average of one tonne of carbon
    Plan to claim carbon credit for kills being considered

THE Federal Government is considering awarding carbon credits for getting rid of feral camels under an initiative to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

Although the Carbon Farming Initiative has yet to pass parliament, three proposals are undergoing formal assessment, including one to "manage" Australia's feral camel population.

The other two options include early burn-offs and inoculating cattle to stop them burping.

Tim Moore, the managing director of Adelaide-based Northwest Carbon who proposed the camel cull idea, said more than 1.2 million camels are roaming Australia's rangelands, covering Western Australia, the Northern Territory, South Australia and NSW.

Already considered a pest produce an average methane equivalent of one tonne of carbon dioxide a year, making them one of Australia's big emitters.

One camel produces 45kg of methane a year which is equivalent of one tonne of carbon dioxide. It is the same amount of carbon dioxide produced by a plane on a 7000km flight.

In comparison a cow produces 35kg of methane annually or 0.8 tonnes, while the average car emits four tonnes when driven over 20,000km annually.

"They live anywhere from 30 to 50 years in the wild, there's 1.2 million of them and that figure is doubling every nine years, so it's a huge problem," Dr Moore said.

Under his proposal, camels would be shot from helicopters or four-wheel drives, or mustered and then sent to an abattoir for either human or pet consumption.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/kill-a-feral-camel-and-claim-a-carbon-credit-says-dr-tim-moore/story-e6frfkw9-1226072092428#ixzz1Oiyc7ggU

~Aldous Huxley

Offline Brocke

• Global Moderator
    • Vimeo page
Australian children are being terrified by climate change lessons
« Reply #439 on: July 08, 2011, 05:55:47 pm »

Australian children are being terrified by climate change lessons

By Bruce McDougall and Jenny Dillon
    July 09, 2011

PRIMARY school children are being terrified by lessons claiming climate change will bring "death, injury and destruction" to the world unless they take action.

On the eve of Prime Minister Julia Gillard's carbon tax package announcement, psychologists and scientists said the lessons were alarmist, created unneeded anxiety among school children and endangered their mental health.

Climate change as a "Doomsday scenario" is being taught in classrooms across Australia.

Resource material produced by the Gillard government for primary school teachers and students states climate change will cause "devastating disasters".

Australian National University's Centre for the Public Awareness of Science director Dr Sue Stocklmayer said climate change had been portrayed as "Doomsday scenarios with no way out".

Dr Stocklmayer said she was not a climate-change sceptic but worried that "too much time was spent presenting scary scenarios, especially to young people".

"(Children) feel incredibly despondent and helpless in the face of all this negative information," she said. "To put all of this before our children ... is one of the most appalling things we can do to (them).

Child psychologist Kimberley O'Brien also said the language of climate change should be "toned down".

"(Educators) should stick to the facts," she said.

"They should be aware that kids do have nightmares."

Psychologist Michael Carr-Gregg called on educators to be "more circumspect and present both sides (of the climate-change debate)".

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/australian-kids-are-living-in-climate-of-fear/story-e6frfkvr-1226091097398#ixzz1RYc8vIZ2

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/australian-kids-are-living-in-climate-of-fear/story-e6frfkvr-1226091097398#ixzz1RYaEC8K8

~Aldous Huxley