Author Topic: Van Morrison  (Read 486 times)

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
Van Morrison
« on: May 15, 2018, 03:03:30 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Morrison

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/van-morrison-details-authorized-bang-collection-w473583

Sir George Ivan Morrison OBE (born 31 August 1945) is a Northern Irish singer-songwriter, instrumentalist and record producer. In 2016, he was knighted for his musical achievements and his services to tourism and charitable causes in Northern Ireland.[1]

Known as "Van the Man" he started his professional career when, as a teenager in the late 1950s, he played a variety of instruments including guitar, harmonica, keyboards and saxophone for various Irish showbands, covering the popular hits of that time. Van Morrison rose to prominence in the mid-1960s as the lead singer of the Northern Irish R&B band Them, with whom he recorded the garage band classic "Gloria". His solo career began under the pop-hit oriented guidance of Bert Berns with the release of the hit single "Brown Eyed Girl" in 1967. After Berns's death, Warner Bros. Records bought out his contract and allowed him three sessions to record Astral Weeks (1968).[2] Though this album gradually garnered high praise, it was initially a poor seller.

George Ivan "Van" Morrison was born on 31 August 1945, at 125 Hyndford Street, Bloomfield, Belfast, Northern Ireland, as the only child of George Morrison, a shipyard electrician, and Violet Stitt Morrison, who had been a singer and tap dancer in her youth.[8] Morrison's family were working class Protestants descended from the Ulster Scots population that settled in Belfast.[9][10][11] From 1950 to 1956, Morrison, who began to be known as "Van" during this time, attended Elmgrove Primary School.[12] His father had what was at the time one of the largest record collections in Ulster (acquired during his time in Detroit, Michigan, in the early 1950s)[13] and the young Morrison grew up listening to artists such as Jelly Roll Morton, Ray Charles, Lead Belly, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, and Solomon Burke;[12][14] of whom he later said, "If it weren't for guys like Ray and Solomon, I wouldn't be where I am today. Those guys were the inspiration that got me going. If it wasn't for that kind of music, I couldn't do what I'm doing now."

https://www.legacyrecordings.com/2017/03/30/3cd-van-morrison-anthology-authorized-bang-collection-release-april-28/
3CD Van Morrison Anthology ‘The Authorized Bang Collection’ To Be Released April 28
March 30, 2017

March 30, 2017- New York, NY– A deluxe 3CD library set, Van Morrison – The Authorized Bang Collection is the first official comprehensive anthology ever assembled chronicling Morrison’s musical output during a brief-but-astounding musical association with Bang Records, the groundbreaking hit-making label founded by legendary American producer/songwriter Bert Berns–whose writing credits include “Twist & Shout” (!), “Cry to Me,” “Piece of My Heart,” and “Everybody Needs Somebody to Love” and “Here Comes The Night,” a #2 UK breakout hit for Them in March 1965.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5