Author Topic: Heroin  (Read 19923 times)

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
Re: Heroin
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2019, 11:54:00 pm »
https://www.breitbart.com/border/2019/01/31/mexican-president-amlo-no-more-war-on-drugs/
Mexican President AMLO: ?No More War? on Drugs
31 Jan 2019

Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador (AMLO) sent shockwaves after publicly claiming an end to his country?s drug war. The politician said his administration will focus on reducing violent crimes instead of capturing regularly violent drug lords.

?There is no more war, officially there is no war because what we want is peace,? AMLO said during a press conference in Mexico City. The politician said his government would focus on decreasing violent crimes rather than fighting a war on drugs like his predecessors. Since AMLO took office in December, Mexican authorities have not captured any major cartel figures despite the escalating drug violence.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2019, 09:55:26 am »
Not heroin but meth cocaine and heroin  ...  bound for Australia ...

https://www.foxnews.com/us/homeland-security-intercepts-nearly-2-tons-of-meth-bound-for-australia
Homeland Security intercepts nearly 2 tons of meth bound for Australia; 6 arrested
02-09-2019
By Samuel Chamberlain

A joint operation between American and Australian law enforcement led to the seizure of close to two tons of methamphetamine in California that was bound for the land down under, authorities announced late Thursday.

As part of their investigation, the Australian Federal Police and police in the southern state of Victoria arrested six people, including an American couple living in the Melbourne suburb of Woodstock. Police said they had found "[h]undreds of thousands of dollars of proceeds of crime" while executing a search warrant of the couple's property. They were not identified except as a 52-year-old man and a 46-year-old woman.

... the drug shipment intercepted last month was concealed in 850 electrical capacitors stored inside two large containers purported to contain audio equipment. The shipment also included 25 kilograms (55 pounds) of cocaine and five kilograms (11 pounds) of heroin. In all, the entire shipment was worth an estimated $1.3 billion.
Hill said that the quantity of drugs that were intercepted proved that Australia is being targeted by Mexican drug cartels.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2019, 08:59:45 pm »
https://worldtruth.tv/the-oxycontin-cartel-billionaire-family-16th-richest-in-the-u-s/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/sackler-family-accused-in-new-suit-of-causing-opioid-crisis/ar-BBV0gXW?li=BBnbfcN
Sackler Family Accused in New Suit of Causing Opioid Crisis
Jef Feeley
6 hrs ago

(Bloomberg) -- The billionaire family that owns opioid-maker Purdue Pharma LP has been accused by local governments in a new lawsuit of causing the nationwide public-health crisis involving pain-killing medicines that has left hundreds of thousands of Americans dead from overdoses.

More than 500 U.S. cities and counties accused Purdue and eight members of Richard Sackler?s family of racketeering, claiming the company engaged in misleading and illegal marketing of OxyContin. It?s one of a handful of lawsuits to name the Sacklers as individual defendants in the sweeping opioid litigation.

The family has been thrust into the spotlight recently when details of its involvement in Purdue?s OxyContin marketing efforts were made public in a lawsuit filed by Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey. In the wake of a wave of negative headlines, Britain?s National Portrait Galley said this week it declined a $1.3 million donation from the Sacklers? charitable arm.

?This nation is facing an unprecedented opioid addiction epidemic that was initiated and perpetuated by the Sackler defendants for their own financial gain,? lawyers for local governments said in a complaint filed Monday in Manhattan federal court.

According to a 2017 investigation conducted by then Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill, more than 50,000 Americans died from drug overdoses in 2015, with a third of those deaths caused by prescription opioids including OxyContin and Insys Therapeutics Inc.?s Subsys.

Other cities and counties, including New York City and Suffolk County, New York, have named the family as individual defendants in their cases.

PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC - JUNE 17: U.S. businessman and writer Robert Toru Kiyosaki presents his book ' Unfair Advantage: The Power of Financial Education ' on June 17, 2011, in Prague, Czech Republic. (Photo by Ondrej Nemec/isifa/Getty Images)
5 essential lessons from 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad'
Residential housing development
Middle-class homeowners smacked by new tax law

? Education Images/UIG via Getty Images    (Bloomberg) -- The billionaire family that owns opioid-maker Purdue Pharma LP has been accused by local governments in a new lawsuit of causing the nationwide public-health crisis involving pain-killing medicines that has left hundreds of thousands of Americans dead from overdoses.

More than 500 U.S. cities and counties accused Purdue and eight members of Richard Sackler?s family of racketeering, claiming the company engaged in misleading and illegal marketing of OxyContin. It?s one of a handful of lawsuits to name the Sacklers as individual defendants in the sweeping opioid litigation.

The family has been thrust into the spotlight recently when details of its involvement in Purdue?s OxyContin marketing efforts were made public in a lawsuit filed by Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey. In the wake of a wave of negative headlines, Britain?s National Portrait Galley said this week it declined a $1.3 million donation from the Sacklers? charitable arm.

?This nation is facing an unprecedented opioid addiction epidemic that was initiated and perpetuated by the Sackler defendants for their own financial gain,? lawyers for local governments said in a complaint filed Monday in Manhattan federal court.

How the U.S. Opioid Crisis Spiraled Out of Control (Video)

?This complaint is part of a continuing effort by contingency-fee counsel to single out Purdue, blame it for the entire opioid crisis in the United States, and try the case in the court of public opinion rather than the justice system,?? Robert Josephson, a Purdue spokesman, said in an emailed statement.

?These baseless allegations place blame where it does not belong for a complex public health crisis, and we deny them,?? the Mortimer and Raymond Sackler families said in an emailed statement. They also noted OxyContin sales ?represented a tiny portion of the opioid market.??

According to a 2017 investigation conducted by then Missouri Senator Claire McCaskill, more than 50,000 Americans died from drug overdoses in 2015, with a third of those deaths caused by prescription opioids including OxyContin and Insys Therapeutics Inc.?s Subsys.

Other cities and counties, including New York City and Suffolk County, New York, have named the family as individual defendants in their cases.

The suit -- filed by some of the same lawyers who are leading the litigation against opioid makers and distributors consolidated in federal court in Cleveland -- targets the family for making billions of dollars off OxyContin by pushing it on doctors for more than a decade. Those cases are seeking to recoup billions spent to address the fallout from the opioid crisis, which claims the lives of 100 Americans daily.

Related video: Family behind Purdue Pharma accused of profiting off opioid crisis (provided by Today)
Unfortunately, your browser does not support video playback.

More than 30 states also have sued Purdue and other drugmakers, such as Johnson & Johnson and Endo International Plc, along with distributors such as McKesson Corp., seeking to hold them accountable for tax dollars consumed by the opioid epidemic
. Purdue and J&J face the first of those cases to come to trial in Oklahoma in May.

Family members such as Richard Sackler, Purdue?s former chief executive, created a ?public nuisance? through the company?s relentless OxyContin marketing for unapproved uses, according to the New York suit.

Family members directed Purdue employees to dupe doctors into believing the painkillers weren?t addictive and could be used to create an ?enhanced lifestyle,? according to the suit. The Sacklers ?knew about the dangers of prescription opioids and pushed to increase sales despite the devastating consequences of the public health crisis,? attorneys for the local governments said.
Other family members named in the lawsuit are: Beverly Sackler, David Sackler, Ilene Sackler Lefcourt, Jonathan Sackler, Kathe Sackler, Mortimer Sackler and Theresa Sackler. Some of the family members are former Purdue board members. There are no family members on the current board.

The family members ?sought to conceal? their involvement with the OxyContin marketing program and ?are responsible for addiction, overdose, and death that damaged millions of lives,? the cities and counties allege. They say the family ?should be held accountable now.?

The case is Baldwin County, AL v. Richard Sackler, 19-cv-2421, U.S.

| - - - -

https://www.forbes.com/profile/sackler/#757614705d63
#19 Sackler family
2016 America's Richest Families NET WORTH $13B

The family behind popular painkiller drug OxyContin. Three doctors -- brothers Arthur (d. 1987), Mortimer (d. 2010) and Raymond Sackler (pictured above with his wife, Beverly) -- founded Purdue Pharma in 1952 after taking over a small, struggling New York drug manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Sackler
Raymond Sackler (February 16, 1920 ? July 17, 2017)[2][3] was an American physician, billionaire entrepreneur, and philanthropist. Raymond Sackler was, together with his brother Mortimer Sackler, owner of Purdue Pharma, the developer of Oxycontin.[4][5][6]
Born in Brooklyn, New York to a Jewish family, in 1920, Sackler was educated at Erasmus High School, and attended New York University where he received a bachelor's degree in 1938. Due to Jewish quotas imposed by the major U.S. medical schools during that era, he pursued medical education starting at Anderson College of Medicine in Glasgow, Scotland
Sackler was certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (P) in 1957, and was a Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.[11] Sackler, with his two brothers, Arthur and Mortimer, co-founded the Creedmoor Institute for Psychobiological Studies in New York City, where they engaged in research in the psycho-biology of schizophrenia and manic depressive psychosis. They received two awards from the Medical Society of the State of New York: the First Award for Scientific Research; and one year later, Honorable Mention for Scientific Research.

With lessons learned in research, Sackler and his brother Mortimer transitioned into the development of numerous pharmaceutical, manufacturing, and research companies, Sackler being closely associated with the now global reach of Purdue Pharma in the United States and Canada and Mundipharma, Ltd. in Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Purdue Pharma, which is 100% privately owned and operated by the families of Raymond and Mortimer Sackler (families worth $13 billion[12]) is well known for successful research and development, and particularly for marketing[5][4] the opiate drug Oxycontin and related compounds.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2019, 11:39:26 pm »
https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-w18-or-w-18-the-latest-high-risk-drug-3952512
Overview and History of W18 or W-18
By Elizabeth Hartney, PhD
Updated April 10, 2019
History of W-18

In early 2016, W-18 hit the news in Calgary, Canada, when police seized the drug after it was implicated in a large number of drug-related deaths?over 200 people were thought to have lost their lives at least in part due to W-18. Yet the drug was developed many years earlier, in 1984, and was patented in Canada and the United States the same year, in anticipation of its potential use as a painkiller. However, its legitimate use has never been established.

It was not until 2013 when W-18 first seemed to have been discovered as a designer drug, where it was marketed by drug dealers as a legal substitute for other recreational drugs.

| - - -

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/man-arrested-in-connection-with-huntington-heroin-ods/article_7284af6b-5dac-510f-803b-c97c7880e776.html
Man arrested in connection with Huntington heroin ODs
    By COURTNEY HESSLER Aug 27, 2016

HUNTINGTON - An Akron, Ohio, man wanted in connection with an upturn in Huntington heroin overdoses earlier this month has been arrested by federal agents.

Bruce Lamar Griggs, 22, was charged in federal court Thursday with distribution of heroin after more than 27 overdoses hit the Cabell County area in a single day last week, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court.

Twelve doses of naloxone, the opioid overdose-reversing drug, were used to revive victims. Three of those were for one patient. The remaining patients were revived using bag-valve masks, handheld devices used to provide ventilation to patients not breathing.

Days later, law enforcement agencies tied at least one death to a heroin overdose. A man died at Cabell Huntington Hospital after those who had called 911 did not disclose he had a history of drug use and previous overdoses.

It is assumed a batch of heroin laced with an even stronger drug, possibly fentanyl, was to blame for so many overdoses in such a short time.

Fentanyl is an opioid used as part of anesthesia to help prevent pain after surgery or other medical procedures. It is about 50 to 100 times more powerful than morphine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

More than 230 overdoses were reported in Akron in July, 20 of them fatal, and police said evidence of carfentanil was found in some of those cases.

Carfentanil, an elephant sedative that is 100 times more potent than fentanyl, has also been found in heroin in other parts of Ohio and central Kentucky, according to the Associated Press.

Carfentanil is similar to another drug called W-18, which has been found in heroin in New England and Philadelphia, where Jim Johnson, director of the Huntington Mayor's Office of Drug Control Policy, said people "dropped like flies."

Offline oyashango

• 43 Trillion and counting
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2019, 09:10:46 pm »
Who guards the poppy fields?

Who ships it in?

Who launders the money?

Good luck getting a semi-rational answer to any of those questions from a drug war advocate.

Exactly! Another reason why we can't somehow get a wall built. How are the drugs gonna get in if we build a complete wall?

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2019, 01:39:04 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Zevon
Warren William Zevon (/ˈziːvɒn/; January 24, 1947 ? September 7, 2003)[1] was an American rock singer-songwriter and musician.

In interviews, Zevon described a lifelong phobia of doctors and said he seldom consulted one. He had started working out, and he looked physically fit. Shortly before playing at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival in 2002, he started feeling dizzy and developed a chronic cough. After a period of suffering with pain and shortness of breath, Zevon was encouraged by his dentist to see a physician; he was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma, a cancer (usually caused by exposure to asbestos) that affects the pleura, a thin membrane around the lungs and chest lining. Zevon was deeply shaken by the news and fell off the wagon after 17 years of sobriety.[23] Although Zevon never revealed where he may have been exposed to asbestos, his son, Jordan, suggests that it came from Zevon's childhood, playing in the attic of his father's carpet store in Arizona. Refusing treatments he believed might incapacitate him, Zevon instead began recording his final album, The Wind, which includes performances by close friends including Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh, David Lindley, Billy Bob Thornton, Emmylou Harris, Tom Petty, and Dwight Yoakam. At the request of the music television channel VH1, documentarian Nick Read was given access to the sessions and made the television film Inside Out: Warren Zevon.[24]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gACg4fdaEGI
Warren Zevon - Carmelita (Live 1977)

https://www.discogs.com/Warren-Zevon-Warren-Zevon/release/13103846
Warren Zevon ‎? Warren Zevon
Label: Rhino Records (2) ‎? RB1 1060
Format : Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, 180g
Released: 22 Jan 2019
Genre: Rock
Style: Classic Rock

I hear Mariachi static on my radio
And the tubes they glow in the dark
And I'm there with her in Ensenada

And I'm here in Echo Park

Carmelita hold me tighter
I think I'm sinking down
And I'm all strung out on heroin
On the outskirts of town

Well, I'm sittin' here playing solitaire
With my pearl-handled deck
The county won't give me no more methadone
And they cut off your welfare check

I think I'm sinking down
On the outskirts of town

Well, I pawned my Smith Corona
And I went to meet my man

He hangs out down on Alvarado Street
By the Pioneer Chicken stand

I think I'm sinking down
On the outskirts of town

I think I'm sinking down
On the outskirts of town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSpjCZTy7Hs

WarrenZevon
Addict
Published on Apr 18, 2011
Live on Night Music with David Sanborn, 1989.
An amazing "Splendid Isolation" version with David Sanborn on saxophone

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2019, 03:58:13 pm »
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/gov-desantis-brevard-sheriff-to-announce-result-of-significant-criminal-investigation
Brevard drug bust nets enough fentanyl to kill 500,000, dozens arrested, sheriff says
Sheriff: Largest drug operation in county history, 104 arrest warrants out
By ClickOrlando.com staff
Posted: 11:29 AM, May 01, 2019

COCOA, Fla. - A six-month Brevard County investigation resulted in the seizure of 3 pounds of lethal fentanyl, 75 firearms, the arrests of 60 people and more than 100 warrants for arrest, Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey said alongside Gov. Ron DeSantis on Wednesday.

Ivey said the drug operation was the largest in Brevard County's history, spanned across the county and has far-reaching implications in other states.

The Brevard County Sheriff's Office seized kilos of fentanyl and heroin and $100,000 in cash. Ivey said they confiscated enough opioids for 500,000 lethal doses.

"That is enough fentanyl to kill everyone in Brevard County," Ivey said.
“These are the faces of your next-door neighbor,"
Ivey said, standing in front of two posters with more than 100 faces of suspects. “These are the faces of people selling poison.”

Attorney General Ashley Moody said opioids are killing 17 people a day in Florida and the numbers show "drastic action" is needed. In April, Moody was appointed the chair of Florida’s Task Force on Opioid Drug Abuse.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2019, 09:24:28 am »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-09/us-authorities-seize-jp-morgan-owned-container-ship-used-13-billion-cocaine-bust
Ship Seized In Record $1.3 Billion Cocaine Bust Belongs To JPMorgan

Wed, 07/10/2019 - 07:21

A few weeks ago we reported that around $1 billion worth of cocaine (15,500 kilos) was seized from a container ship at a Philadelphia port after having stopped in Colombia, Chile, Peru, Panama and the Bahamas (subsequently it turned out that it was a record $1.3 billion, or 18,000 kilos worth).

Today we learn that the vessel, the MSC Gayane, is owned by JP Morgan, and has been seized by US authorities according to the Wall Street Journal.  The Gayane is the world's second-largest container ship - operated by Switzerland-based Mediterranean Shipping Co, MSC.

"A seizure of a vessel this massive is complicated and unprecedented—but it is appropriate because the circumstances here are also unprecedented," said US Attorney William McSwain in a statement. "When a vessel brings such an outrageous amount of deadly drugs into Philadelphia waters, my office will pursue the most severe consequences possible against all involved parties in order to protect our district—and our country."

The $90 million ship that can carry around 10,000 containers remains anchored at the Delaware River near the Philadelphia port, and will stay there for quite some time according to the Journal.

Eight crew members from Samoa and Serbia were arrested, while many others have been charged in the scheme according to those interviewed. The ship's second officer and another crew member were also charged, and have been accused of helping to bring the contraband aboard.

In February, Customs agents also seized 1.6 tons of cocaine on another MSC vessel, the Carlotta, upon entry into the Port of Newark, NJ.

As a result of the two busts, MSC's Customs-Trade Partnership certification has been temporarily suspended, meaning that the company's cargo will be subject to enhanced scrutiny and can no longer be classified as "low risk." MSC says it expects minimal disruption from the suspension.

"It is strange that such a modern and expensive vessel is involved in such a blatantly criminal case, like moving 20 tons of cocaine."

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2019, 09:17:07 am »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-09/us-authorities-seize-jp-morgan-owned-container-ship-used-13-billion-cocaine-bust
Ship Seized In Record $1.3 Billion Cocaine Bust Belongs To JPMorgan
Wed, 07/10/2019 - 07:21

A few weeks ago we reported that around $1 billion worth of cocaine (15,500 kilos) was seized from a container ship at a Philadelphia port after having stopped in Colombia, Chile, Peru, Panama and the Bahamas (subsequently it turned out that it was a record $1.3 billion, or 18,000 kilos worth).

Today we learn that the vessel, the MSC Gayane, is owned by JP Morgan, and has been seized by US authorities according to the Wall Street Journal.  The Gayane is the world's second-largest container ship - operated by Switzerland-based Mediterranean Shipping Co, MSC.

"It is strange that such a modern and expensive vessel is involved in such a blatantly criminal case, like moving 20 tons of cocaine."

https://www.thelocal.ch/20180309/five-swiss-cities-among-top-ten-in-europe-for-cocaine-use
Five Swiss cities among top ten in Europe for cocaine use
9 March 2018
09:40 CET+01:00

Zurich, Basel, Bern, St-Gallen and Geneva feature among the ten European cities where cocaine is most used, according to a European study.

The data came out of the latest wastewater analysis study of 56 European cities in 19 countries undertaken by sewage analysis centre Score and the EU drugs agency in March 2017.

The results, released by the European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drugs addiction (Emcdda) on Wednesday, show that cocaine is highly prevalent in five Swiss cities, and ecstasy to a lesser extent, while use of amphetamines and crystal meth is low by European standards.

Zurich placed second behind Barcelona as the European city with the highest use of cocaine – overtaking the Spanish city on the weekends – with St Gallen in fourth place, followed by Geneva (5th), Basel (8th) and Bern (9th).
Zurich places fourth for ecstasy use, behind Amsterdam in first place, Eindhoven and Antwerp. Geneva is eighth, with the other three Swiss cities all featuring within the top 20.

After most cities observed sharp increases in traces of ecstasy during 2011-2016, the latest data shows a stabilizing trend, said the Emcdda.
Cities in Germany and Czech Republic dominate the top ten for methamphetamine use, with Zurich placing 12th.

The study found that levels of cocaine and ecstasy in wastewater rise sharply at weekends in most cities, while amphetamine use appears to be more evenly distributed throughout the week.

| - - - -

https://www.msc.com/usa

MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company is a global business engaged in the shipping and logistics sector. Present in 155 countries, MSC facilitates international trade between the world’s major economies, and among emerging markets across all continents.

Founded in 1970 and headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, since 1978, MSC is a privately-owned organisation driven by the Aponte family. A world leader in container shipping, MSC has evolved from a one vessel operation into a globally-respected business with a fleet of 520 vessels and more than 70,000 staff.

https://theloadstar.com/msc-diego-aponte/
Diego Aponte takes over as family firm MSC anoints a new president and CEO

By Gavin van Marle 03/10/2014

The king is dead, long live the king! Well, not quite, but nearly in the case of yesterday’s announcement from Mediterranean Shipping Co that heir to the throne Diego Aponte appears to have undergone his coronation after being named president and chief executive of the world’s second-largest shipping line.

Much of shipping remains a dynastic business – think of the Greek and Norwegian shipowners and their kin that dominate the tanker markets.

In the case of MSC however, it has remained firmly in the hands of the Aponte family, and in particular its legendary founder Gianluigi Aponte, father of Diego and, in a move somewhat reminiscent of the opening scenes of King Lear, has now been named group executive chairman and will “continue to oversee all group related activities as well as supporting Diego in shaping the future of MSC”, according to a statement from the company.

| - --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gianluigi_Aponte
Gianluigi Aponte (Italian pronunciation: [dʒanluˈiːdʒi aˈponte]; born 27 June 1940) is an Italian billionaire businessman, and the founder, owner and chairman of Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC), the second-largest container shipping line in the world after Maersk.
 As of 2014, he has retired from the position of CEO and president in favour of his son, Diego Aponte, and took on a role as executive chairman within MSC

https://gazettereview.com/2016/06/top-10-richest-people-switzerland/
Top 10 Richest People in Switzerland – 2018 List
By Jake Briscoe -
April 15th, 2017

Believe it or not, Switzerland is actually one of the wealthier countries in the entire world.
#3 – Gianluigi Aponte ($8.2 Billion)

Gianluigi Aponte is Italian by birth, but he has lived in Geneva, Switzerland for some time now.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2019, 10:20:34 pm »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-12/drugmaker-pays-largest-opioid-settlement-history-make-investigations-go-away
Drugmaker Pays Largest Opioid Settlement In History To Make Investigations Go Away
 Fri, 07/12/2019 - 21:45

A UK-based drugmaker has agreed to pay a record $1.4 billion settlement to the US government in order to end criminal and civil probes into allegations of illegal marketing of opioid addiction treatment medication, according to the Justice Department.

The settlement with Reckitt Benckiser Group (RB Group) will include multiple investigations into a subsidiary, Indivior (formerly Reckitt Benckiser Pharmaceuticals Inc.).

On April 9, a federal grand jury in Virginia indicted Indivior for "allegedly engaging in an illicit nationwide scheme to increase prescriptions of Suboxone," according to the DOJ. The company denied the charges and trial is scheduled to start in May 2020.

Federal prosecutors charged that Indivior allegedly marketed a version of Suboxone (Suboxone Film) to medical professionals as less addictive and safer than other drugs containing its active ingredient, the opioid buprenorphine, according to the DOJ statement. -ABC News
Indivior's "Here to Help" web and phone resources actually funneled opioid-addicted patients to doctors who were actively prescribing Suboxone and other opioids "to more patients than allowed by federal law, at high doses, and in a careless and clinically unwarranted manner."
Included in the settlement is an immunity agreement, while RB Group will forfeit $647 million of proceeds from the sale of Indivior - nor will it manufacture, market or sell Schedule 1 - 3 controlled substances for three years.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2019, 08:22:04 am »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-07-17/76-billion-opioid-pills-bombshell-report-unmasks-who-responsible-epidemic
76 Billion Opioid Pills: Bombshell Report Unmasks Who Is Responsible For Epidemic
 Wed, 07/17/2019 - 13:16

US District Judge Dan Polster presiding over nationwide opioid litigation dismissed an order that now allows the general public, for the first time ever, to examine opioid sales from the Drug Enforcement Administration's Automation of Reports and Consolidated Orders System (ARCOS) that details how the opioid epidemic exploded into almost every community across the US from 2006 through 2012.

"The public release of pre-2012 ARCOS data, which shows how prescription opioid pills flooded American communities, is a positive and transparent step forward," plaintiffs attorneys Paul Hanley, Paul Ferrell and Joe Rice said in a statement released Monday.

"The data provides statistical insights that help pinpoint the origins and spread of the opioid epidemic."

As per The Washington Post, the ACROS data showed big pharmaceutical companies pumped 76 billion oxycodone and hydrocodone pills from 2006 through 2012 into nearly every zip code across the country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/76-billion-opioid-pills-newly-released-federal-data-unmasks-the-epidemic/2019/07/16/5f29fd62-a73e-11e9-86dd-d7f0e60391e9_story.html?_view=prod&utm_term=.734fd523f43c

The data provides an unparalleled view of how legal opioid pills from big pharma fueled the opioid epidemic, which has resulted in approximately 100,000 deaths in those 4 years.

Only six companies distributed 75% of all the painkillers during the six years: McKesson Corp., Walgreens, Cardinal Health, AmerisourceBergen, CVS, and Walmart.