Author Topic: Sikh 's are cool  (Read 2443 times)

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
Sikh 's are cool
« on: December 31, 2016, 04:48:18 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/12/29/nypd-will-allow-sikh-officers-wear-turbans-grow-beards-policy-change/
NYPD Will Allow Sikh Officers to Wear Turbans and Grow Beards in Policy Change

“It’s a major change in our uniform policy, so we had to go about it carefully. And now I have the opportunity to make the change, and I thought it was about time that we did that.”

O’Neill said the NYPD has about 160 Sikh officers.

He said that even though the NYPD has a strict policy regarding head coverings, officers will be able to wear turbans as head coverings as a religious exemption so long as they get approval first.

The turbans must also be navy blue and have the NYPD insignia attached, the Daily Mail reports.

Male observant Sikhs cover their heads with turbans, which are considered sacred, and don’t shave their beards.

Before the policy change, Sikh officers could wear a smaller wrap known as a patka underneath their department issued cap, said Gurvinder Singh, an NYPD officer and president of the national Sikh Officers Association.

Beards were prohibited because they interfered with wearing gas masks.

Those with a medical or religious exemption could only wear facial hair up to 1 mm in length.

Sikh advocates praised the NYPD’s decision to be more inclusive.

“If the NYPD’s new policy indeed allows for Sikhs to maintain unshorn beards and turbans, that sends a powerful message to the rest of America that Sikhs are an important part of our nation’s fabric,” Harsimran Kaur, legal director of The Sikh Coalition, told NBC News in a statement.

| - - -

http://www.sikharchives.com/?p=23478
King Porus versus Alexander The Great

Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
Re: Sikh 's are cool
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:24:03 pm »
https://www.quora.com/Who-have-been-the-greatest-warrior-races-societies-throughout-history

3. Battle of Saragarhi
The Battle of Saragarhi was fought during the Tirah Campaign on 12 September 1897 between twenty-one Sikhs of the 4th Battalion (then 36th Sikh) of the Sikh Regiment of British India, defending an army post, and 10,000 Afghan and Orakazai tribesmen. The battle occurred in the North West Frontier Province, which formed part of British India.
The tale was mentioned by UNESCO as being as one of eight great stories of collective bravery in human history, and to this day,

every September 12th the people of India celebrate Saragarhi Day.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/2...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat...
http://karteek.selfdabba.com/pos...

Sikh Ancient Martial Art
Shastar vidya was the art of the traditional Indian warriors the 'Kyshatriya'. It was this ancient Sanatan Kyshatriya tradition, which the Sikh Gurus sought to revive so as to overthrow the oppressive foreign tyrannical rule of 'Turk' in the 17th century and scour the oppressed, mainly Hindu, masses of India.
Each of the Khalsa soldier was given training in Shastar Vidya(Weapon's Art) to use weapons to fight against a larger group. The main weapons used were - Kirpaan, Lathi, Chakram, Katar, Javelin, Kukri etc.

Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 05:28:36 pm »
Man check that turbin ...

http://dailyimage.net/news/4369/Religious-warrior-pays-homage-at-Sikh-shrine

Religious warrior pays homage at Sikh shrine

A member of the Sikh Nihang Army – traditional Sikh religious warriors – Baba ‘Jagir’ Singh, wears a turban of some 300 meters in length as he pays homage at the Sikh Shrine, the Golden Temple in Amritsar on the occasion of Martyrdom Day – Jyoti Jot Divas – of Guru Gobind Singh and Sikh warrior, Shaheed Baba Deep Singh.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 05:37:17 pm »

Sikh's in Ireland:

http://news.restoringthepride.com/2007/03/sikhs-in-ireland-cool.html
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
  Sikhs in Ireland? Cool!
Irish Sikh community participate at St Patrick’s Festival Parade in Ireland

Dublin, 22 Mar 2007:

Irish Sikh Community displayed their rich cultural heritage this weekend by participating at the St Patrick’s Day Parade in Dublin, one of the most celebrated events in Ireland.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 05:54:12 pm »
http://exiledonline.com/war-nerd-classic-in-praise-of-sikhs-the-coolest-warrior-tribe-around/
eXile Classic / The War Nerd / August 8, 2012
War Nerd Classic: In Praise Of Sikhs, “The Coolest Warrior Tribe Around
By Gary Brecher

In the wake of this week’s white supremacist massacre of unarmed Sikh worshippers in Wisconsin, The eXiled proudly reposts a War Nerd classic first published in The eXile in July 2007:

FRESNO, CA — I think I’ve finally found a religion I can convert to. I’m thinking of turning Sikh
. And we’ll just slide right by all the puns popping into your little heads, if you don’t mind. The Sikhs are just the coolest warrior tribe around. Take their scripture.

My Bible goes on about beating swords into plowshares — I always hated that bit, because all you’d get was a wrecked sword and a lousy plow. But the Sikh scripture actually says that the sword predates the universe: “After the primal manifestation of the sword, the universe was created.”

See? That’s a god who’s got his priorities in order! No doubt about it, I’m letting my beard grow and practicing wrapping old socks around my head. Gary B. Singh, you can call me from now on.

It all started when I got a letter from a guy named Gill, a Sikh in the UK, whining about how I’d talked up all the other warrior tribes but never had a word to say for the Sikhs. “Give us some love, Gary,” Gill whined.

And that was before Islam was added to the subcontinental mix. By the time Sikhism started, about 400 years ago, the Mughal emperors, basically a bunch of land pirates who swooped down out of Afghanistan to plunder the plains, had tried to convert India to Islam by using the time-honored method of appealing to the prospect’s common sense: “Convert or we’ll hack you into a million tiny pieces.”

The Hindu majority, under the thumbs of hundreds of feudal kings, tried to weasel out of conversion so they could hang on to their own homegrown miseries, like the caste system. The Hindus’ ultimate weapon was simple inertia and birthrate. The Afghans’ sword arms just got tired after a while, hacking in that heat, and they said, “Aw, the Hell with it.” Northern India settled into a lazy routine with the occasional massacre, a lot of bribery, nasty little village snobs hating each other.

Then along comes the founder of Sikhism, Nanak, and says, “There is no Muslim, there is no Hindu.” Meaning the Hell with both of you. Sikhs were radicals from the start. All the little traditions people know about them started out as in-your-face rebel yells in the Punjab. Like those beards: only the Mughal were allowed to wear long hair and beards. So the Sikh all let theirs grow longer than John and Yoko’s. That name, “Singh,” every Sikh guy has? It means “Lion” but the real point is that it replaced all the caste names they had before. Like Malcolm making his last name “X.”

The Mughals didn’t like it. They said so pretty clearly. Take the early career of the sixth Sikh guru, an orphan named Gobind Rai. It was the Mughals who made him an orphan, by torturing his dad to death. See, in the old Punjab, death was nothing; death was what you got if the head man was in a good mood.

Most of the time they weren’t in a very good mood, so you got real slow, horrible deaths. At least somebody at the Mughal court was nice enough to FedEx Gobind a package with his dad’s head in it, Seven-style.

Gobind decided right about then to end the whole peacenik tradition of Sikhism. He had a sense of style, so to set the mood he called all the Sikhs together and came onstage with a big huge sword and said, “My sword wants blood. Who wants to supply it? I need a volunteer!” Well, he would’ve bombed as a stage magician because there was a looooooong silence, no hands raised, till an Untouchable convert came up.

Gobind took him into a tent and came out alone, bloody as an apprentice butcher. Four more volunteers and the crowd was beginning to grumble. Then Gobind revealed the trick, which you’ve all probably guessed already especially if you remember Sunday school, Isaac and Abraham: the five dudes were alive! Heroes! All in new armor! Ready to kill!

These “Five Beloved” were the core of the Akala, the Immortals, an elite Sikh unit that wore these ridiculous Harry Potter turbans with metal rings on them. The rings, called “quoits,” were supposedly sharp and you can throw them as weapons. But I’m sorry, I’d be willing to stand all day in front of some dude in a wizard’s hat throwing sharpened frisbees at me.

The Sikhs’ real weapon was the flintlock. A grumbly Muslim Afghan wrote that “these dogs [the Sikhs] invented the musket, and nobody knows these weapons better. These bad-tempered people discharge hundreds of bullets on the enemy, on the left and right and back.” Aww, poor little Afghan! Those pesky bad-tempered Sikhs, shooting at you when all you want to do is massacre them for their unbelief and steal their stuff along the way! No-friggin’-fair!

The Sikhs were more than happy to fight hand-to-hand whenever it made sense, and even got praise from the Brits for hacking Brit soldiers to death with their swords even after being spitted on the redcoats’ bayonets. But the Sikhs were also sensible people: Why risk getting cut when you can lure the enemy into an ambush and knock him out of the saddle at long range?

The Sikhs evolved a theory of warfare called “the two-and-a-half strikes.” You got a full point for ambushes and hit-and-run attacks, but only a half point for pitched battles where you lost a lot of your own men. Nathan Bedford Forrest, Francis Marion and Patton himself would have agreed.

By 1810 the Sikhs had driven the Mughals out of the Punjab. They owned the place, literally: They had an independent Sikh kingdom running there, and by all accounts it was the one place in India where something sorta resembling law and order actually prevailed.

The only reason the Sikhs didn’t go on to run all of India and maybe the world is simple: They ran into the Brits. Same reason the Zulu didn’t get to own all of southern Africa. A lot of big, strong tribes were on the movie in Queen Victoria’s time, and the same thing happened to most of them: They met the Brits, and that was all she wrote.

Ranjit Singh, the ruler of the Punjab, was smart enough to sign a treaty with the Brits
, keep a strong army to back it up, and avoid the sort of little faked “border incidents” the Raj loved to use to start a war. When he died in 1839, the Punjab fell into the usual bickering, and the Brits pounced.

I keep telling you, the Brits circa 1840 weren’t the cute little Monty Python guys you imagine. They were stone killers, the best since the Romans, totally ruthless, no more conscience than a drain contractor. They saw the Sikhs fighting among themselves and went for it.

Offline EvadingGrid

• Truthers are not Trumpers
    • Trump Bot Free Zone
Re: Sikh 's are cool [ Sat Sri Akaal ]
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 05:59:51 am »
Sat Sri Akaal

"Truth is the Ultimate God", or "God is the Ultimate Truth"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sat_Sri_Akaal
“Hey, I’m a nationalist and a globalist”
-- Donald Trump

Article : "A Limited Hangout Operation ?"