Author Topic: What do you think this might be?  (Read 7774 times)

Offline tehowe

• Splitters, splitters!
    • Aleatoric
What do you think this might be?
« on: February 28, 2008, 06:28:43 am »

Is the telescreen talking to me again, or is there some anonymous truther with deep pockets in Toronto...

(Seen on a subway sign.)
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Offline Amd304912

• Ietsism (Dutch “ietsisme” - "Somethingism")
    • Israel-centered-neoconservative-death-cult-of-evangelican-born-again-Xtians-Are-you-one?                                      Im Not.
Re: What do you think this might be?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 06:31:13 am »
that is awesome, stickin up big brothers advertising ... :D
faith basers make me as sick as free basers Surah 75 سورة القيامة - محمد [ http://powerofthadolla.freeforums.org/ ] An Almond for a Parrot
€∀§M_ ³ حتى الآلهة الحمار الاحتفاظ زنجي الخراء تمشيا   أنت كافر نكاح تفرز من الشيطان الاكبر يا  ح

Offline Sylvester Syndrome

• 'Whatever you Say, Chief!'
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 07:31:08 am »
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they don't assume that you are paranoid and that everyone isn't out to get you.
http://torontoist.com/2008/02/obay.php

I see the difficulty Americans will have with this. It's a viral marketing campaign for an advocacy organisation employing IRONY as it's premise.
Advocates represent people in legal, employment, education, medical and other scenarios where the subject of a tribunal or other hearing believes they will not receive fair thrift on their own, without that second pair of ears or representation in some cases. I know, because I've used an advocacy organisation, of which there are precious few since it is not a widely available service in for example, the UK.

"Since fake pharmaceutical ads for a drug called "Obay" starting appearing across Ontario (and elsewhere) last week, everyone from street artist Frank Shepard Fairey (aka OBEY) to Scientologists to comedian Maggie Cassella has been fingered as the culprit behind them.

Last Friday, three days after the ads seem to have launched, we traced them, with no small amount of confidence, to a substantially less dramatic source––Colleges Ontario, an advocacy organization representing twenty-four colleges across the province. The organization would neither confirm nor deny their involvement to either Torontoist or, several days later, The Star, but still told us all to wait a few weeks for...something. As far as mysterious ad campaigns go, this one was almost perfect: only breadcrumbs to trace back to the source, a city left to talk about the ad and its message and what it all meant (which, of course, was precisely the point).

But it's finally official: Rob Savage, Colleges Ontario's Director of Communications, called Torontoist moments ago to confirm that Colleges Ontario is indeed behind the ads, and the organization just sent out a press release with information about a media launch event next Monday at (fittingly) Centennial College that promises to reveal "the news behind Obay and its side effects on Ontario’s Post-secondary Education." Torontoist will be there."

"You know I'm dealing with the Devil,
 in everyone I meet".
- 'Black Capricorn Day', - Jamiroquai.

"War is declared and battle come down".
— The Clash

Offline netizen_x

• When Spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion
    • The Wild East
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:43:22 am »
brilliant. We should try to get ads like this up all over the world.
"Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, then honest people must do the same" ~ Leo Tolstoy

Offline tehowe

• Splitters, splitters!
    • Aleatoric
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:14:23 am »
So the upshot is - you shouldn't go to university even if your parents tell you to because (community) college is more practical. (!?) Gah. Well, yeah, if what you want is technicians. Those places are yuppie spawning grounds. I know, I went to one. Which bites as I was really hoping that this ad would be from some herbal company taking a swipe at Prozac (and shilling some alt remedy like st. john's wort).

In case you can't read the script on the bottle, it says "If they can't see it your way it's time for Obay".

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they don't assume that you are paranoid and that everyone isn't out to get you.

i knew i saw an agent on the platform as the train pulled out of limbo station - lol
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Offline tehowe

• Splitters, splitters!
    • Aleatoric
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:37:46 am »
brilliant. We should try to get ads like this up all over the world.

Now that's a good idea. Why stop having viral media stunts just because Ron Paul has slowed his schedule down? We don't need blimps, just mysterious ads in the newspaper that employ irony to devastating effect on memes floated by: big pharma, the UN, neo-con warmongers, prohibitionists, deep ecologists, and sundry globalists.

Since I'm assuming that none of us is in a good position to pay for that sort of thing, maybe I'll start a foundation and solicit donations.  ::)

T

Offline Amd304912

• Israel-centered-neoconservative-death-cult-of-evangelican-born-again-Xtians-Are-you-one?                                      Im Not.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:41:53 am »
Now that's a good idea. Why stop having viral media stunts just because Ron Paul has slowed his schedule down? We don't need blimps, just mysterious ads in the newspaper that employ irony to devastating effect on memes floated by: big pharma, the UN, neo-con warmongers, prohibitionists, deep ecologists, and sundry globalists.

MKALPHA could be like easter eggs :o
faith basers make me as sick as free basers Surah 75 سورة القيامة - محمد [ http://powerofthadolla.freeforums.org/ ] An Almond for a Parrot
€∀§M_ ³ حتى الآلهة الحمار الاحتفاظ زنجي الخراء تمشيا   أنت كافر نكاح تفرز من الشيطان الاكبر يا  ح

Offline Kregener

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 09:46:59 am »
A good photoshop is what it is.
Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than going to a hospital makes you a doctor.

Stop thinking in terms of left and right and start thinking in terms of right and wrong

Offline Amd304912

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 09:51:40 am »
xray :D

Offline tehowe

• Splitters, splitters!
    • Aleatoric
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:11:44 am »
A good photoshop is what it is.
I'm not that good. I couldn't imagine how much work that would be, trying to get the CMOS noise consistent across the image.

Offline Kregener

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 10:17:00 am »
Okay...I was wrong.

World Press

Keep your eyes pealed in the next couple of weeks for some very interesting, and otherwise unorthodox advertising. If you have been browsing casually on the subway in the past few days, you may have discovered these seemingly anti-pharmaceutical ads for a product called “Obay” (a play on “obey”, in case you didn’t catch that).

You can see some examples of the different ads at the following website.

http://torontoist.com/2008/02/the_ones_that_m.php
Going to church does not make you a Christian any more than going to a hospital makes you a doctor.

Stop thinking in terms of left and right and start thinking in terms of right and wrong

Offline gEEk squad

• You're World Delivered... to the NSA
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 10:20:17 am »

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 10:24:29 am »
INFO-WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline powderisdry

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 12:27:50 pm »
Ideas are indeed BULLETPROOF!!

Offline goulash

• shine the light spread love practice peace
    • http://web.me.com/bikebox/bong_gong/Welcome.html
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 12:44:22 pm »
 i have made a couple of hundred panels   mostly political satirical  and some time ironic

http://gallery.mac.com/bikebox#gallery
  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PASS THEM AROUND

ALSO  MOVIES ON  THE SAME PAGE   they may be out there but  ... enjoy   PS they don't stay forever so please download what you like or can use  copy left

also http://www.youtube.com/djgoulash

new look blog soon  peace goulash
peace  is war enjoy ..where's the  war  were  always at war ™ ' said harry i do like  it so'

the real cost of  war

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 02:46:29 pm »

new look blog soon 

hey you ain't going anywhere bro!
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately