Author Topic: This can't be real  (Read 8520 times)

Offline DCUBED

• Sieg Heil!
This can't be real
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:36:53 pm »
 http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080227/lf_nm_life/robot_dog_dc

Robot as good as real dog at easing lonely hours

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A friendly dog can make older people feel less isolated -- and it appears to make little difference if that wagging tail belongs to a robot doggie or the real thing.

Researchers at Saint Louis University in Missouri compared a 35-pound (16 kg), floppy-eared mutt named Sparky with AIBO, a far-from-lifelike robot dog, to see how residents of three U.S. nursing homes would respond.

"The most surprising thing is they worked almost equally well in terms of alleviating loneliness and causing residents to form attachments," said Dr. William Banks, a professor of geriatric medicine who worked on the study reported in the Journal of the American Medical Directors Association.

Banks said pets have been shown to help older people feel less isolated. "It really improves loneliness considerably," he said in a telephone interview.

But many senior citizens are too frail to care for a pet or have had to give up their own animals when they went to the nursing home. "They really miss that bond," he said.

Banks and colleagues decided to see if a faux fido might offer some comfort.

The researchers studied 38 nursing home residents who were divided into three groups. One got regular visits from Banks' pet Sparky, another got visits from the AIBO Entertainment Robot, a shiny robot dog formerly made by Sony Corp that used artificial intelligence to interact with its environment and express emotion.

The third group got no visits from either dog.

Banks said he had been sure Sparky would have the edge, but to his surprise, both dogs provided virtually equal comfort after seven weeks of visits.

While AIBO has been discontinued, Banks thinks similar robots could offer companionship for older people and might even be programmed to keep tabs on their owners, alerting emergency workers of a sudden fall.

"Loneliness is common in nursing homes. Robots may be very useful for people who cannot for whatever reason have access to a living dog," Banks said.
“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”  - Arthur Conan Doyle

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." J. Edgar Hoover

Offline Amd304912

• Ietsism (Dutch “ietsisme” - "Somethingism")
    • Israel-centered-neoconservative-death-cult-of-evangelican-born-again-Xtians-Are-you-one?                                      Im Not.
Re: This can't be real
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:40:58 pm »
at times of war to building the cars soon to receive babies and now to comfort the old.
faith basers make me as sick as free basers Surah 75 سورة القيامة - محمد [ http://powerofthadolla.freeforums.org/ ] An Almond for a Parrot
€∀§M_ ³ حتى الآلهة الحمار الاحتفاظ زنجي الخراء تمشيا   أنت كافر نكاح تفرز من الشيطان الاكبر يا  ح

Offline trixi1

• He is watching. Smile because Jesus is Lord.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:59:03 pm »
See the movie 'I-Robot'. Creepy, by the way.

John 3:16 teaches us: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 says:  "I am the way the truth and the life; NO MAN cometh unto the Father BUT BY ME."

Offline netizen_x

• When Spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion
    • The Wild East
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 11:04:24 pm »
Why can't she have a real dog? Have they vaccinated her to the point she's allergic to reality?

This is not the future! I want a real future with real dogs.

"Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, then honest people must do the same" ~ Leo Tolstoy

Offline MikiQuick123

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 11:09:03 pm »
Why can't she have a real dog? Have they vaccinated her to the point she's allergic to reality?

Two souls would benefit. :)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline trixi1

• He is watching. Smile because Jesus is Lord.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

It's called CONDITIONING.

"More to come this way so get used to it bub! We'll get you and your little dog too, haa  haaa haaaa ahaaaa as their evil laughter fills the air." (as I very poorly paraphrase some of Wizard of Oz here)

Let's not accept this and pass it off nonchalantly thinking it's neat--wow, do the Japanese ever invent advanced technology, etc.

No way. There's a message to be learned here and it is not for the betterment of mankind. We all need to learn that and not be passive.

As well, think of 'alternate reality' shows, video games, they're more pervasive into everything we enjoy on a day-to-day basis, and yet, it seperates us more and more from what reality really is.

John 3:16 teaches us: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 says:  "I am the way the truth and the life; NO MAN cometh unto the Father BUT BY ME."

Offline MikiQuick123

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 11:14:35 pm »
You know the really sad part of this? Where are PEOPLE?
Some of these poor folks are so lonely even mechanical company is better than no company.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 11:17:47 pm »
Have you ever seen the way some people watch TV. Like it's the most interesting thing they have ever seen. Well, there's your answer; if you can sit and watch a glowing box of plastic spout garbage all day then a moving dog shaped robot is fascinating too.

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Damascus

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 11:25:57 pm »
Were you ever attached to a stuffed animal or a blanket when you were young? Would it be different if you had a live pet or close friends? Would it matter more if people actually came to visit you and didn't stuff you into a home so they could sell your possessions? At some point any interaction is better then nothing. Irony seems to be running rampant in these later times.

Offline MikiQuick123

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 11:32:48 pm »
Were you ever attached to a stuffed animal or a blanket when you were young? Would it be different if you had a live pet or close friends? Would it matter more if people actually came to visit you and didn't stuff you into a home so they could sell your possessions? At some point any interaction is better then nothing. Irony seems to be running rampant in these later times.
My point exactly. Those in their decline should be comforted by any means we can give them. Preferably human interaction. But a trip to a nursing home tells the true tale of loneliness and abandonment. I would never begrudge them a "toy" if it eases their minds.

Offline DCUBED

• Sieg Heil!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 12:22:27 am »
They shouldn't have to be entertained by something that isn't real (especially at that age)  What's wrong with giving her a REAL dog. If she can change the batteries out of a robot dog, she can feed a real dog.
“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”  - Arthur Conan Doyle

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." J. Edgar Hoover

Offline MikiQuick123

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 12:50:17 am »
They shouldn't have to be entertained by something that isn't real (especially at that age)  What's wrong with giving her a REAL dog. If she can change the batteries out of a robot dog, she can feed a real dog.
The article you posted said that many are too frail to care for a real dog or had to give them up upon entering a home.
The nursing homes barely manage to care for their residents, let alone the added burden of dogs.ie; walking, feeding, bathing, vet visits. Some in my city have private programs that fund "resident" dogs rescued from the pound, But they don't place one in a private home when the person is reliant on home health aides.The "real" thing is of course preferable and when they CAN care for one, they place them. But sadly, like some children there will always be those who prefer the stuffed toy to the real dog too. Those, would you deny?

Offline DCUBED

• Sieg Heil!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 01:10:02 am »
They don't have to own the dog, just have it for the day. If they want a robot dog instead, that's fine. I just can't relate to wanting a robot over the real thing. To each their own I guess.

Offline thought_criminal

• Conspiracy of one.
    • my myspace page about building 7
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 01:24:34 am »
  C'mon...  robots are great at replacing labor and costing people there jobs... but I wouldn't find a robot comforting at all. I'd be more inclined to attempt to reprogram it to do something funny, like walk in circles or jump off the roof and do stunts. I can't imagine any machine replacing a dog or a cat... 
  What a goofy ass story.
"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to Question Authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline MikiQuick123

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 01:25:38 am »
They don't have to own the dog, just have it for the day. If they want a robot dog instead, that's fine. I just can't relate to wanting a robot over the real thing. To each their own I guess.

I do share your sentiment, I own two. ;D

Damascus

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 09:57:37 am »
the elderly should be at home with their family. If a toy helps in this mixed up situation then use it, but in the long term people need to be less self centered and take care of the people that cared for them. A few Animals kept at the home and taken care of by the staff would be wonderful for both the care givers and the inmates. There are shelters around my area that have a program that helps animals and the elderly. It has been proven before that pet interaction has added great value to peoples lives. The electronic dog is just a less expensive cop out to shut people up. Here's your toy now get back in your room and STFU so I can read the paper.

Offline changedname

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 10:23:37 am »
Pet owners could drop off their pets at the local nursing homes so that the elderly there can enjoy them throughout the day while the owners were working.. That way the pet does not have to be alone all day and the patients have the companionship!  A type of doggie day care with benefits to all!!   :D

Offline rawiron1

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 10:27:01 am »
What about that Japanese guy that built the Japanese girl robot that looks real and can even fool people when placed at a front desk.  It is programed to be a receptionist.  Then some other guy came out and said that he is building one for sex.  Hmm.  I wonder how much an Asian android girlfriend would cost?

Jason
Jason the Fed

Offline life0repeats

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 10:33:26 am »
what they don't mention is that those dogs have built in cameras where the eyes would be.  the sony store advertised those dogs as a way to keep track of a nanny since you can access the video from the camera via the special page for your dog on the internet that's password protected.  so they are a great way for the government to watch people live in their own homes.

Offline netizen_x

• When Spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion
    • The Wild East
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 10:36:37 am »
what they don't mention is that those dogs have built in cameras where the eyes would be.  the sony store advertised those dogs as a way to keep track of a nanny since you can access the video from the camera via the special page for your dog on the internet that's password protected.  so they are a great way for the government to watch people live in their own homes.

Yes. These would be very useful to watch over servants.
"Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, then honest people must do the same" ~ Leo Tolstoy

Offline Truthseeker93

• "From the darkness we fight the darkness"
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 03:53:14 pm »

LOL haha, good one. But yeah this is totally ridicoulous, AI can't be life!
"From the darkness we fight the darkness"