Author Topic: Arctic ‘Doomsday Vault’ Filled With World’s Seeds Comes to Life  (Read 13080 times)

Offline DCUBED

• Sieg Heil!
 http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080224/sc_afp/norwayarcticenvironmentwarmingcrops

Biodiversity 'doomsday vault' comes to life in Arctic

LONGYEARBYEN, Norway (AFP) - Aimed at providing mankind with a Noah's Ark of food in the event of a global catastrophe, an Arctic "doomsday vault" filled with samples of the world's most important seeds will be inaugurated here Tuesday.

European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso and Nobel Peace Prize winning environmentalist Wangari Matai will be among the personalities present at the inauguration of the vault, which has been carved into the permafrost of a remote Arctic mountain, just some 1,000 kilometres (620 miles) from the North Pole.

The vault, made up of three spacious cold chambers each measuring 27 x 10 metres (89 x 33 feet), create a long trident-shaped tunnel bored into the sandstone and limestone.

It has the capacity to hold up to 4.5 million batches of seeds from all known varieties of the planet's main food crops, making it possible to re-establish plants if they disappear from their natural environment or are obliterated by major disasters.

"The facility is built to hold twice as many varieties of agricultural crops as we think exist," explained Cary Fowler, executive director of the Global Crop Diversity Trust and project mastermind.

"It will not be filled up in my lifetime, nor in my grandchildren's lifetime," he predicted in a phone interview with AFP.

Norway has assumed the six million euro (8.9 million dollar) charge for building the vault in its Arctic archipelago of Svalbard, where ironically no crops grow.

Secured behind an airlock door, the three airtight chambers have the capacity to house duplicates of samples from all the world's more than 1,400 existing seed banks.

Many of the more vulnerable seed banks have begun contributing to the "doomsday vault" collection, but some of the world's biodiversity has already disappeared, with gene vaults in both Iraq and Afghanistan destroyed by war and a seed bank in the Philippines annihilated by a typhoon.

By the time of the inauguration on Tuesday, the Svalbard Global Seed Vault should hold some 250,000 samples, which will remain the property of their countries of origin.

Pakistan and Kenya, both undergoing periods of serious unrest, have sent seed collections, while samples sent from Colombia have been closely scrutinised by police to avoid the project becoming a vehicle for drug trafficking.

"I've been working in this field for 30 years and I thought I knew at least all the crops," Fowler said.

After receiving a list of all the different seeds in the vault, however, "I must admit there are a number of crops I've never heard of before," he said.

That's a spectacular amount of diversity for Svalbard, where no trees can grow due to the permafrost and where the mercury plummets to an average 14 degrees Celsius below zero (6.8 degrees Fahrenheit) in winter.

The Norwegian archipelago, which is home to some 2,300 people, was selected not despite but because of its inhospitable climate, as well as its remote location far from civil strife.

The seeds of wheat, maize, oats and other crops will be stored at a constant temperature of minus 18 degrees Celsius, and even if the freezer system fails the permafrost will ensure that temperatures never rise above 3.5 degrees Celsius below freezing.

"Svalbard really met all the criteria," Fowler said.

Protected by high walls of fortified concrete, an armoured door, a sensor alarm and the native polar bears that roam the region, the "doomsday vault" has been built 130 metres (425 feet) above current sea level -- high enough that it would not flood if the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets melt entirely due to global warming.

The concrete cocoon has also been built to withstand nuclear missile attacks or a plunging plane, something that could come in handy in light of the 6.4-scale tremor -- the biggest earthquake in Norway's history -- registered near the archipelago on Thursday.
“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”  - Arthur Conan Doyle

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." J. Edgar Hoover

Offline MikiQuick123

Re: Now why would we need this?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:32:12 am »
GEE. How many guesses do we get? ;D

I'm beginning to feel a little unwanted,.....like the other 80% of the earth's population. :'(
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline hellcatjr

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:19:21 am »
Isn't it awesome that all of this is being saved for 'us'!

How wonderful of our world leaders, assholes. >:(
'A Man can only become great, when he understands his place in time' - JPM Jr.

Offline vive_lempereur

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 11:29:01 am »
I wonder if they're going to store gentically modified animals and plant DNA there for future use also. Might be good to at least keep original copies of animal and plant DNA since they (the globalist scum) seem so willing to modify everything.
Only the winners decide what were war crimes.

Offline xaro007

Doomsday' vault opens to protect seeds
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 03:53:25 pm »
Doomsday' vault opens to protect seeds
By DOUG MELLGREN, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 4 minutes ago

LONGYEARBYEN, Norway - It's been dubbed a Noah's Ark for plant life and built to withstand an earthquake or a nuclear attack.

Dug deep into the permafrost of a remote Arctic mountain, the "doomsday" vault is designed by Norway to protect the world's seeds from global catastrophe.

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault, a backup to the world's 1,400 other seed banks, was to be officially inaugurated in a ceremony Tuesday on the northern rim of civilization attended by about 150 guests from 33 countries.

The frozen vault has the capacity to store 4.5 million seed samples from around the globe, shielding them from climate change, war, natural disasters and other threats.

"There are not many countries in the world they could have pulled this off," said Cary Fowler, executive director of the Global Crop Diversity Trust, a partner in the project.

Norway's government owns the vault in Svalbard, a frigid archipelago 620 miles from the North Pole. The Nordic country paid $9.1 million for construction, which took less than a year. Other countries can deposit seeds for free and reserve the right to withdraw them upon need.

The operation is financed by the Global Crop Diversity Trust, which was founded by the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization and Biodiversity International, a Rome-based research group.

European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso, 2004 Nobel Peace Prize winner Wangari Maathai of Kenya, a Crop Diversity Trust board member, and Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg planned to attend the opening ceremony 425 feet deep inside Plataaberget mountain.

It was about 5 degrees outside as reporters were allowed Monday in for a sneak peak. But it was colder inside. Giant air conditioning units have chilled the vault to just below zero, a temperature at which experts say many seeds could survive for 1,000 years.

Inside the concrete entrance, decorated for the opening with an ice sculpture of a polar bear, a roughly 400-foot-long tunnel of steel and concrete leads to three separate 32-by-88-foot chambers where the seeds will be stored.

The first 600 boxes with 12 tons of seeds already have arrived from 20 seed banks around the world, Norwegian Agriculture Minister Terje Riis-Johansen said. The first 75 boxes were to be carried into the vault by guests as part of the opening ceremony.

The seeds are packed in silvery foil packets — as many as 500 in each sample — and will be placed on blue and orange metal shelves inside the vault. Each chamber can hold 1.5 million packets holding all types of crop seeds, from carrots to wheat.

Construction leader Magnus Bredeli-Tveiten said the vault has been designed to withstand earthquakes — successfully tested by a 6.2-magnitude temblor off Svalbard last week — and even a direct nuclear strike.

And even if power fails and cuts off the air conditioning, the permafrost insulating the vault would help keep the seeds "cold for 200 years even in the worst case climate scenario," Fowler said.

He expects the vault's life span to rival that of Egypt's ancient pyramids.

"So much of the value of Svalbard is that it is so far away from the dangers" that affect many other parts of the globe, Fowler said. The archipelago is about 300 miles north of the Norwegian mainland.

Other seed banks are in less protected areas. War wiped out seed banks in Iraq and Afghanistan, and one in the Philippines was flooded after a typhoon in 2006.

Fowler called the vault an insurance policy against the unthinkable. "It's like you get in your car in the morning and drive to the office. You don't expect to get into a car accident, but you buy insurance anyway."

The vault is protected by armed guards, but their rifles aren't meant only to discourage uninvited humans from coming too close.

"My job is to keep away people who aren't supposed to be here — and guard against polar bears," vault worker Jimmy Olsen said, was standing outside the entrance with a rifle slung on his shoulder. There are an estimated 3,000 polar bears on the islands.

Norway has received praise from around the world for building the seed bank. FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf on Monday called it "one of the most innovative and impressive acts in the service of humanity."

But the world spotlight worries some locals, who treasure the isolation of living in the Arctic.

"We like to be here a little bit for ourselves," said Kai Tredal, 42, one of the roughly 2,000 people in Svalbard's main town, Longyearbyen.

___

On the Net:

Norwegian government site on vault: http://www.seedvault.no

Global Crop Diversity Trust: http://www.croptrust.org

Offline Neo

• The constitution is my guide.
Arctic ‘Doomsday Vault’ Filled With World’s Seeds Comes to Life
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:01:54 pm »

An Arctic “doomsday vault” filled with samples of the world’s most important seeds will be inaugurated in Norway today.

The vault aims to provide humankind with a Noah’s Ark of food in the event of a global catastrophe.

European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso and Nobel Peace Prize winning environmentalist Wangari Matai will be among the personalities present at the inauguration of the vault, which has been carved into the permafrost of a remote Arctic mountain, just 1000km from the North Pole.

The vault, made up of three spacious cold chambers each measuring 27m by 10m, creates a long trident-shaped tunnel bored into the sandstone and limestone.

It has the capacity to hold up to 4.5 million batches of seeds from all known varieties of the planet’s main food crops, making it possible to re-establish plants if they disappear from their natural environment or are obliterated by major disasters.

“The facility is built to hold twice as many varieties of agricultural crops as we think exist,” explained Cary Fowler, executive director of the Global Crop Diversity Trust and project mastermind.

“It will not be filled up in my lifetime, nor in my grandchildren’s lifetime,” he predicted.

Norway has assumed the €6 million ($9.6m) charge for building the vault in its Arctic archipelago of Svalbard, where ironically no crops grow.

Secured behind an airlock door, the three airtight chambers have the capacity to house duplicates of samples from all the world’s more than 1400 existing seed banks.

Many of the more vulnerable seed banks have begun contributing to the “doomsday vault” collection, but some of the world’s biodiversity has already disappeared, with gene vaults in both Iraq and Afghanistan destroyed by war and a seed bank in the Philippines annihilated by a typhoon.

By the time of the inauguration, the Svalbard Global Seed Vault should hold some 250,000 samples, which will remain the property of their countries of origin.

Pakistan and Kenya, both undergoing periods of serious unrest, have sent seed collections, while samples sent from Colombia have been closely scrutinised by police to avoid the project becoming a vehicle for drug trafficking.

“I’ve been working in this field for 30 years and I thought I knew at least all the crops,” Mr Fowler said.

After receiving a list of all the different seeds in the vault, however, “I must admit there are a number of crops I’ve never heard of before”, he said.

That’s a spectacular amount of diversity for Svalbard, where no trees can grow due to the permafrost and where the mercury plummets to an average 14C below zero in winter.

The Norwegian archipelago, which is home to some 2300 people, was selected not despite but because of its inhospitable climate, as well as its remote location far from civil strife.

The seeds of wheat, maize, oats and other crops will be stored at a constant temperature of minus 18C Celsius, and even if the freezer system fails the permafrost will ensure that temperatures never rise above 3.5C below freezing.

“Svalbard really met all the criteria,” Mr Fowler said.

Protected by high walls of fortified concrete, an armoured door, a sensor alarm and the native polar bears that roam the region, the “doomsday vault” has been built 130m above current sea level - high enough that it would not flood if the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets melt entirely due to global warming.

The concrete cocoon has also been built to withstand nuclear missile attacks or a plunging plane, something that could come in handy in light of the 6.4-scale tremor - the biggest earthquake in Norway’s history - registered near the archipelago on Thursday.

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/02/24/7264/
"It is discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and
how few by deceit"

Offline Juntawatch

• "This ain't Rock-n'-Roll;     This is Genocide."
Re: Arctic ‘Doomsday Vault’ Filled With World’s Seeds Comes to Life
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:23:55 pm »
Well, this I do know. Svalbard belongs to Norway. The King of Norway finances 'out of his own pocket’ not only some of the UK-based WWT sites, that's wildlife & wetland trust but also Personally financed the building of the Security Council chambers at the UN, that may be in the main Secretariat Tower, I don't know. This I know because I had a Norwegian Friend who worked for one of these organisations personally.

It's a titbit & it's all I know. It's easy to watch that opening on the TV news and conclude. 'These people are going to protect the earth's flora & fauna just in case they do actually succeed in annihilating the humans. They may on the other hand just be obsequious scientists guarding their own careers as much as the beauty of creation around us.

Oh, by the way, in Biblical terms. The United Nations is resolved to be the Wild Beast, 666 & all that by numerous highly qualified theologians.

Oh, God this stuff tires me out.
"The Dog has returned to its own vomit, and the sow that was bathed to rolling in the mire."
2 Peter, 2:2.

'The Intellectual, the Plebitian & the Proletariat could be treated; just as wasps are treated.'
- Sanctimonious III. 1st Century.

Offline geetardiva

"Doomsday Seed Vault" in the Arctic

Bill Gates, Rockefeller and the GMO giants know something we don’t

by F. William Engdahl

Global Research, December 4, 2007

Excerpts:

"On this God-forsaken island Bill Gates is investing tens of his millions along with the Rockefeller Foundation, Monsanto Corporation, Syngenta Foundation and the Government of Norway, among others, in what is called the ‘doomsday seed bank.’ Officially the project is named the Svalbard Global Seed Vault on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, part of the Svalbard island group.

Doomsday Seed Vault

The seed bank is being built inside a mountain on Spitsbergen Island near the small village of Longyearbyen.

It’s almost ready for ‘business’ according to their releases.

The bank will have dual blast-proof doors with motion sensors, two airlocks, and walls of steel-reinforced concrete one meter thick.

It will contain up to three million different varieties of seeds from the entire world, ‘so that crop diversity can be conserved for the future,’ according to the Norwegian government. Seeds will be specially wrapped to exclude moisture. There will be no full-time staff, but the vault's relative inaccessibility will facilitate monitoring any possible human activity.

Did we miss something here?

Their press release stated, ‘so that crop diversity can be conserved for the future.’ What future do the seed bank’s sponsors foresee, that would threaten the global availability of current seeds, almost all of which are already well protected in designated seed banks around the world?

Anytime Bill Gates, the Rockefeller Foundation, Monsanto and Syngenta get together on a common project, it’s worth digging a bit deeper behind the rocks on Spitsbergen. When we do we find some fascinating things.

The first notable point is who is sponsoring the doomsday seed vault. Here joining the Norwegians are, as noted,

the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation;

the US agribusiness giant DuPont/Pioneer Hi-Bred, one of the world’s largest owners of patented genetically-modified (GMO) plant seeds and related agrichemicals;

Syngenta, the Swiss-based major GMO seed and agrichemicals company through its Syngenta Foundation;

the Rockefeller Foundation,

the private group who created the “gene revolution with over $100 million of seed money since the 1970’s; CGIAR,

the global network created by the Rockefeller Foundation to promote its ideal of genetic purity through agriculture change.

CGIAR and ‘The Project’

Financed by generous Rockefeller and Ford Foundation study grants, CGIAR saw to it that leading Third World agriculture scientists and agronomists were brought to the US to ‘master’ the concepts of modern agribusiness production, in order to carry it back to their homeland. In the process they created an invaluable network of influence for US agribusiness promotion in those countries, most especially promotion of the GMO ‘Gene Revolution’ in developing countries, all in the name of science and efficient, free market agriculture.

Genetically engineering a master race?

Now the Svalbard Seed Bank begins to become interesting.

But it gets better.

‘The Project’ I referred to is the project of the Rockefeller Foundation and powerful financial interests since the 1920’s to use eugenics, later renamed genetics, to justify creation of a genetically-engineered Master Race. Hitler and the Nazis called it the Ayran Master Race.

The eugenics of Hitler were financed to a major extent by the same Rockefeller Foundation which today is building a doomsday seed vault to preserve samples of every seed on our planet. Now this is getting really intriguing.

The same Rockefeller Foundation created the pseudo-science discipline of molecular biology in their relentless pursuit of reducing human life down to the ‘defining gene sequence’ which, they hoped, could then be modified in order to change human traits at will.

Hitler’s eugenics scientists, many of whom were quietly brought to the United States after the War to continue their biological eugenics research, laid much of the groundwork of genetic engineering of various life forms, much of it supported openly until well into the Third Reich by Rockefeller Foundation generous grants.2

The same Rockefeller Foundation created the so-called Green Revolution, out of a trip to Mexico in 1946 by Nelson Rockefeller and former New Deal Secretary of Agriculture and founder of the Pioneer Hi-Bred Seed Company, Henry Wallace.

The Green Revolution purported to solve the world hunger problem to a major degree in Mexico, India and other select countries where Rockefeller worked. Rockefeller Foundation agronomist, Norman Borlaug, won a Nobel Peace Prize for his work, hardly something to boast about with the likes of Henry Kissinger sharing the same.

In reality, as it years later emerged, the Green Revolution was a brilliant Rockefeller family scheme to develop a globalized agribusiness which they then could monopolize just as they had done in the world oil industry beginning a half century before.

As Henry Kissinger declared in the 1970’s, ‘If you control the oil you control the country; if you control food, you control the population.’

Agribusiness and the Rockefeller Green Revolution went hand-in-hand.

They were part of a grand strategy which included Rockefeller Foundation financing of research for the development of genetic engineering of plants and animals a few years later.

(cut)

If the large multinational seed

companies were able to control the parental seed lines in house, no competitor or farmer would be able to produce the hybrid. The global concentration of hybrid seed patents into a handful of giant seed companies, led by DuPont’s Pioneer Hi-Bred and Monsanto’s Dekalb laid the ground for the later GMO seed revolution.4

In effect, the introduction of modern American agricultural technology, chemical fertilizers and commercial hybrid seeds all made local farmers in developing countries, particularly the larger more established ones, dependent on foreign, mostly US agribusiness and petro-chemical company inputs. It was a first step in what was to be a decades-long, carefully planned process.

Under the Green Revolution Agribusiness was making major inroads into markets which were previously of limited access to US exporters. The trend was later dubbed “market-oriented agriculture.” In reality it was agribusiness-controlled agriculture.

Through the Green Revolution, the Rockefeller Foundation and later Ford Foundation worked hand-in-hand shaping and supporting the foreign policy goals of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and of the CIA.

One major effect of the Green Revolution was to depopulate the countryside of peasants who were forced to flee into shantytown slums around the cities in desperate search for work.

That was no accident; it was part of the plan to create cheap labor pools for forthcoming US multinational manufactures, the ‘globalization’ of recent years.

When the self-promotion around the Green Revolution died down, the results were quite different from what had been promised.

Problems had arisen from indiscriminate use of the new chemical pesticides, often with serious health consequences.

The mono-culture cultivation of new hybrid seed varieties decreased soil fertility and yields over time. The first results were impressive: double or even triple yields for some crops such as wheat and later corn in Mexico.

That soon faded.

The Green Revolution was typically accompanied by large irrigation projects which often included World Bank loans to construct huge new dams, and flood previously settled areas and fertile farmland in the process. Also, super-wheat produced greater yields by saturating the soil with huge amounts of fertilizer per acre, the fertilizer being the product of nitrates and petroleum, commodities controlled by the Rockefeller-dominated Seven Sisters major oil companies.

Huge quantities of herbicides and pesticides were also used, creating additional markets for the oil and chemical giants. As one analyst put it, in effect, the Green Revolution was merely a chemical revolution. At no point could developing nations pay for the huge amounts of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. They would get the credit courtesy of the World Bank and special loans by Chase Bank and other large New York banks, backed by US Government guarantees.

Applied in a large number of developing countries, those loans went mostly to the large landowners. For the smaller peasants the situation worked differently. Small peasant farmers could not afford the chemical and other modern inputs and had to borrow money.

Initially various government programs tried to provide some loans to farmers so that they could purchase seeds and fertilizers. Farmers who could not participate in this kind of program had to borrow from the private sector. Because of the exorbitant interest rates for informal loans, many small farmers did not even get the benefits of the initial higher yields. After harvest, they had to sell most if not all of their produce to pay off loans and interest. They became dependent on money-lenders and traders and often lost their land. Even with soft loans from government agencies, growing subsistence crops gave way to the production of cash crops.5

Since decades the same interests including the Rockefeller Foundation which backed the initial Green Revolution, have worked to promote a second ‘Gene Revolution’ as Rockefeller Foundation President Gordon Conway termed it several years ago, the spread of industrial agriculture and commercial inputs including GMO patented seeds.

Gates, Rockefeller and a Green Revolution in Africa

It is no accident that the Rockefeller and Gates foundations are teaming up to push a GMO-style Green Revolution in Africa at the same time they are quietly financing the ‘doomsday seed vault’ on Svalbard. The GMO agribusiness giants are up to their ears in the Svalbard project.

Indeed, the entire Svalbard enterprise and the people involved call up the worst catastrophe images of the Michael Crichton bestseller, Andromeda Strain, a sci-fi thriller where a deadly disease of extraterrestrial origin causes rapid, fatal clotting of the blood threatening the entire human species. In Svalbard, the future world’s most secure seed repository will be guarded by the policemen of the GMO Green Revolution--the Rockefeller and Gates Foundations, Syngenta, DuPont and CGIAR.

The Svalbard project will be run by an organization called the Global Crop Diversity Trust (GCDT).

Who are they to hold such an awesome trust over the planet’s entire seed varieties? The GCDT was founded by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and Bioversity International (formerly the International Plant Genetic Research Institute), an offshoot of the CGIAR.

Why now Svalbard?

We can legitimately ask why Bill Gates and the Rockefeller Foundation along with the major genetic engineering agribusiness giants such as DuPont and Syngenta, along with CGIAR are building the Doomsday Seed Vault in the Arctic.

Who uses such a seed bank in the first place?

Plant breeders and researchers are the major users of gene banks.

Today’s largest plant breeders are Monsanto, DuPont, Syngenta and Dow Chemical, the global plant-patenting GMO giants.

Since early in 2007 Monsanto holds world patent rights together with the United States Government for plant so-called ‘Terminator’ or Genetic Use Restriction Technology (GURT).

Terminator is an ominous technology by which a patented commercial seed commits ‘suicide’ after one harvest.

Control by private seed companies is total.

Such control and power over the food chain has never before in the history of mankind existed.

This clever genetically engineered terminator trait forces farmers to return every year to Monsanto or other GMO seed suppliers to get new seeds for rice, soybeans, corn, wheat whatever major crops they need to feed their population.

If broadly introduced around the world, it could within perhaps a decade or so make the world’s majority of food producers new feudal serfs in bondage to three or four giant seed companies such as Monsanto or DuPont or Dow Chemical.

That, of course, could also open the door to have those private companies, perhaps under orders from their host government, Washington, deny seeds to one or another developing country whose politics happened to go against Washington’s.

Those who say ‘It can’t happen here’ should look more closely at current global events.

The mere existence of that concentration of power in three or four private US-based agribusiness giants is grounds for legally banning all GMO crops even were their harvest gains real, which they manifestly are not.

These private companies, Monsanto, DuPont, Dow Chemical hardly have an unsullied record in terms of stewardship of human life.

They developed and proliferated such innovations as dioxin, PCBs, Agent Orange.

They covered up for decades clear evidence of carcinogenic and other severe human health consequences of use of the toxic chemicals.

They have buried serious scientific reports that the world’s most widespread herbicide, glyphosate, the essential ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide that is tied to purchase of most Monsanto genetically engineered seeds, is toxic when it seeps into drinking water.9  Denmark banned glyphosate in 2003 when it confirmed it has contaminated the country’s groundwater.10

The diversity stored in seed gene banks is the raw material for plant breeding and for a great deal of basic biological research. Several hundred thousand samples are distributed annually for such purposes.

The UN’s FAO lists some 1400 seed banks around the world, the largest being held by the United States Government.

Other large banks are held by China, Russia, Japan, India, South Korea, Germany and Canada in descending order of size.

In addition, CGIAR operates a chain of seed banks in select centers around the world.

CGIAR, set up in 1972 by the Rockefeller Foundation and Ford Foundation to spread their Green Revolution agribusiness model, controls most of the private seed banks from the Philippines to Syria to Kenya.

In all these present seed banks hold more than six and a half million seed varieties, almost two million of which are ‘distinct.’ Svalbard’s Doomsday Vault will have a capacity to house four and a half million different seeds.

GMO as a weapon of biowarfare?

Now we come to the heart of the danger and the potential for misuse inherent in the Svalbard project of Bill Gates and the Rockefeller foundation.

Can the development of patented seeds for most of the world’s major sustenance crops such as rice, corn, wheat, and feed grains such as soybeans ultimately be used in a horrible form of biological warfare?

The explicit aim of the eugenics lobby funded by wealthy elite families such as Rockefeller, Carnegie, Harriman and others since the 1920’s, has embodied what they termed ‘negative eugenics,’ the systematic killing off of undesired bloodlines.

Margaret Sanger, a rapid eugenicist, the founder of Planned Parenthood International and an intimate of the Rockefeller family, created something called The Negro Project in 1939, based in Harlem, which as she confided in a letter to a friend, was all about the fact that, as she put it, ‘we want to exterminate the Negro population.’

A small California biotech company, Epicyte, in 2001 announced the development of genetically engineered corn which contained a spermicide which made the semen of men who ate it sterile. At the time Epicyte had a joint venture agreement to spread its technology with DuPont and Syngenta, two of the sponsors of the Svalbard Doomsday Seed Vault. Epicyte was since acquired by a North Carolina biotech company. Astonishing to learn was that Epicyte had developed its spermicidal GMO corn with research funds from the US Department of Agriculture, the same USDA which, despite worldwide opposition, continued to finance the development of Terminator technology, now held by Monsanto.

Is it a coincidence that these same organizations, from Norway to the Rockefeller Foundation to the World Bank are also involved in the Svalbard seed bank project?

According to Prof. Francis Boyle who drafted the Biological Weapons Anti-Terrorism Act of 1989 enacted by the US Congress, the Pentagon is ‘now gearing up to fight and win biological warfare’ as part of two Bush national strategy directives adopted, he notes, ‘without public knowledge and review’ in 2002. Boyle adds that in 2001-2004 alone the US Federal Government spent $14.5 billion for civilian bio-warfare-related work, a staggering sum.

Rutgers University biologist Richard Ebright estimates that over 300 scientific institutions and some 12,000 individuals in the USA today have access to pathogens suitable for biowarfare. Alone there are 497 US Government NIH grants for research into infectious diseases with biowarfare potential. Of course this is being justified under the rubric of defending against possible terror attack as so much is today.

Many of the US Government dollars spent on biowarfare research involve genetic engineering. MIT biology professor Jonathan King says that the ‘growing bio-terror programs represent a significant emerging danger to our own population.’ King adds, ‘while such programs are always called defensive, with biological weapons, defensive and offensive programs overlap almost completely.’ 13

Time will tell whether, God Forbid, the Svalbard Doomsday Seed Bank of Bill Gates and the Rockefeller Foundation is part of another Final Solution, this involving the extinction of the Late, Great Planet Earth.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=7529

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F. William Engdahl is the author of Seeds of Destruction, the Hidden Agenda of Genetic Manipulation just released by Global Research. He also the author of A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order, Pluto Press Ltd.. To contact by e-mail: [email protected].

William Engdahl is a Research Associate of the Centre for Research on Globalization (CRG). His writings can
be consulted on www.engdahl.oilgeopolitics.net and on Global Research.

Offline geetardiva

What Bill Gates, Rockefellers and Monsanto know that we don't?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 10:50:10 pm »
where's the post?*

I thought this article speak to different, more specific issues and warrants enough separate topics to post separately.   

It deals more with the factors of Rockefeller, Gates and Monsanto, not simply regarding the Doomsday Vault.   

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:13:19 pm »
Well, this I do know. Svalbard belongs to Norway. The King of Norway finances 'out of his own pocket’ not only some of the UK-based WWT sites, that's wildlife & wetland trust but also Personally financed the building of the Security Council chambers at the UN, that may be in the main Secretariat Tower, I don't know. This I know because I had a Norwegian Friend who worked for one of these organisations personally.

It's a titbit & it's all I know. It's easy to watch that opening on the TV news and conclude. 'These people are going to protect the earth's flora & fauna just in case they do actually succeed in annihilating the humans. They may on the other hand just be obsequious scientists guarding their own careers as much as the beauty of creation around us.

Oh, by the way, in Biblical terms. The United Nations is resolved to be the Wild Beast, 666 & all that by numerous highly qualified theologians.

Oh, God this stuff tires me out.

ummm, this did not take long to figure out, but the sovereignty has...limitations (especially where the environment is concerned)...

Politics of Svalbard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Svalbard
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Svalbard

Treaties and Acts-Svalbard Treaty

Svalbard began as a territory free of a nation, with multiple people from different countries participating in industries including fishing, whaling, mining, tourism, and research. Having no nation left Svalbard free of any regulations or laws, though conflicts were avoided as the area was largely restricted to only whaling and research. However, by the twentieth century mine deposits were found in Svalbard and continual conflicts between miners and owners created a need for a government. By February 9, 1920 the Svalbard Treaty was signed in Paris during the Versailles negotiations after World War I. In this treaty, international diplomacy recognized Norwegian soreveignty (the Norwegian administration went in effect by 1925) as well as other principles relating to Svalbard. This includes:
----------------------------
Svalbard is part of Norway: Svalbard is completely controlled and part of the Kingdom of Norway.

However Norway's power over Svalbard is restricted to limitations listed below

Taxation: This allows taxes to be collected, but only enough to support Svalbard and the Svalbard government. This results in lower taxes than mainland Norway and the exclusion of any taxes on Svalbard supporting Norway directly. Also, Svalbard's revenues and expenses are separately budgeted than mainland Norway.

Environmental conservation: Norway must respect and preserve the Svalbard environment

Non-discrimination: All citizens and all companies of every nation under the treaty are allowed to become residence and to have access to Svalbard including the right to fish, hunt or undertake any kind of maritime, industrial, mining or trade activity. The residents of Svalbard must follow Norwegian law though Norwegian authority cannot discriminate or favor any residents of a certain nationality.

Military restrictions: Article 9 prohibits naval bases and fortifications and also the use of Svalbard for war-like purposes. It is, however, not entirely demilitarized.

Signatories
The following 39 countries are participating in the treaty: Afghanistan, Albania, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, the Dominican Republic, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Italy, Japan, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK, the USA and, Venezuela.

Because citizens of various other countries have rights to exploit mineral deposits and other natural resources "on a footing of absolute equality", a permanent Russian settlement was established up at Barentsburg. Another Russian settlement at Pyramiden was abandoned by 2000. At one time, the Russian (or Soviet) population of Svalbard considerably exceeded the Norwegian population, although this no longer applies.

Svalbard Act
The Svalbard Act of June 17, 1925, made Svalbard officially part of Norway. Norwegian civil, penal, execution and court procedural law was given application on Svalbard. Other statuatory provisions, such as administrative law are not given effect for Svalbard unless expressly specified. The act also specifies the organization of the Svalbard administration as well as ownership over land on the archipelago. The act did not specify a particular date for entering into force, which was left to the King to decide. It was decided on August 7, 1925 that the act should enter into force when Norway officially took control of Svalbard, which was August 14, 1925.

Svalbard Environmental Protection Act
The Svalbard environmental Protection Act came into effect on July 1, 2002. The act includes area protection, species management (such as flora and fauna), waste disposal, land use plans, pollution, human artefacts, traffic as well as cabins.

Schengen area
Norway is part of the Schengen area, meaning there is no passport check for travellers to other Schengen countries and a common Visa policy for visitors from outside areas. But Svalbard is not a part of the Schengen Area, because of the special rules about who can settle here. This means that a passport or a Nordic ID card has to be shown when travelling to Norway.

Governor of Svalbard
The governor of Svalbard (or sysselmann in Norwegian) represents the Norwegian government in exercising its limited sovereign authority over the archipelago. The governor reports to the Norwegian ministry of justice, but it maintains all Norwegian interests in the area, including environmental protection, law enforcement, representation, mediation, and matters related to marriage, divorce, etc. A major governor's role is to maintain healthy relations with Barentsburg, the Russian community.

The governor's office controls multiple helicopters, snowscooters, speedboats, and other equipment needed to meet its responsibilities. Norwegian Storting determines the office's annual budget (about NOK 60 million). Most of it is used for transportation.

Staff

Tasks
A list of major governor tasks. The following was taken by Svalbard's main government website.

Main Tasks
To uphold Norwegian Sovereignty
To look after and coordinate the interests of the state
To apply himself for the good of Svalbard as a whole

Department of Environment
To survey and monitor the environment
To ensure that environmental principles are adhered to in plans for land use, construction and commercial activity
To manage protected areas
To manage game and fish resources
To manage outdoor recreation, tourism and traffic in the wilds
To handle pollution issues and waste management
To update records and studies of human artefacts
To administer the upkeep of memorials
To control import and export of animals
To coordinate veterinary services

Police
Investigation
Traffic restriction at sea and on land
Airport surveillance
Preventive measures
Renewal of driving licences
Maintenance of public order
The issuing of passports
Rescue services
Oil pollution services
Upkeep of motor vehicles records
Maritime authority
Traffic control
Legal enforcement
The issuing of firearms permits

Other
That of licensing divorces and marriages
Parent mediation
The solemnising of marriages
Prosecution in criminal cases
The functions of Notary Public
The provision of legal advice
Board of Health tasks
Fire prevention
Information
Representation
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 11:16:03 pm »
And as a general comment, I do not believe that Rothschild/Rockefeller/Gates/Buffett give a flying f**k about "sovereignty" as they proudly orated over 15 years ago (and in secret for 3,000 years).
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline onehundredmonkeys

• onehundredmonkeys
    • onehundredmonkeys
Re: Arctic ‘Doomsday Vault’ Filled With World’s Seeds Comes to Life:FTM
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 05:14:43 am »
WHO is paying for it
Not only Norway i'm sure?
FTM: Follow The Money(trail)
All it takes is, another monkey

Offline chris jones

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 06:42:05 am »
Good one.

I suppose it can be said that the Elites are vegitarians or will be.
Curious, what of animal life, at this point it would not suprise me if they a had a Naohs Arc NO>2 in the planning. Self propeled dynamic postioning oil platforms, reconstructed to house animal life.

Offline goulash

• shine the light spread love practice peace
    • http://web.me.com/bikebox/bong_gong/Welcome.html
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 06:57:48 am »
SOLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE  THERE  OUT OF THERE  GORD'S™ :D :D
 you have to laugh  otherwise ..there  plan would be working ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :'(
peace  is war enjoy ..where's the  war  were  always at war ™ ' said harry i do like  it so'

the real cost of  war

Offline industria

• industria
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 07:05:45 am »
WHO is paying for it
Not only Norway i'm sure?
FTM: Follow The Money(trail)

Bill Gates (see following post)
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - MLK

industria jewelry
on Etsy
on Trunkt

Offline industria

• industria
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 07:06:02 am »
Bill Gates, Rockefeller and the GMO giants know something we don’t
Doomsday Seed Vault in the Arctic
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=7529

December 4, 2007
By F. William Engdahl

In 2006 when most people in such a situation might think of retiring to a quiet Pacific island, Bill Gates decided to devote his energies to his Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the world’s largest ‘transparent’ private foundation as it says, with a whopping $34.6 billion endowment and a legal necessity to spend $1.5 billion a year on charitable projects around the world to maintain its tax free charitable status. A gift from friend and business associate, mega-investor Warren Buffett in 2006, of some $30 billion worth of shares in Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway put the Gates’ foundation into the league where it spends almost the amount of the entire annual budget of the United Nations’ World Health Organization.

So when Bill Gates decides through the Gates Foundation to invest some $30 million of their hard earned money in a project, it is worth looking at.

No project is more interesting at the moment than a curious project in one of the world’s most remote spots, Svalbard. Bill Gates is investing millions in a seed bank on the Barents Sea near the Arctic Ocean, some 1,100 kilometers from the North Pole. Svalbard is a barren piece of rock claimed by Norway and ceded in 1925 by international treaty.

On this God-forsaken island Bill Gates is investing tens of his millions along with the Rockefeller Foundation, Monsanto Corporation, Syngenta Foundation and the Government of Norway, among others, in what is called the ‘doomsday seed bank.’ Officially the project is named the Svalbard Global Seed Vault on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen, part of the Svalbard island group.

The seed bank is being built inside a mountain on Spitsbergen Island near the small village of Longyearbyen. It’s almost ready for ‘business’ according to their releases. The bank will have dual blast-proof doors with motion sensors, two airlocks, and walls of steel-reinforced concrete one meter thick. It will contain up to three million different varieties of seeds from the entire world, ‘so that crop diversity can be conserved for the future,’ according to the Norwegian government. Seeds will be specially wrapped to exclude moisture. There will be no full-time staff, but the vault's relative inaccessibility will facilitate monitoring any possible human activity.

Did we miss something here? Their press release stated, ‘so that crop diversity can be conserved for the future.’ What future do the seed bank’s sponsors foresee, that would threaten the global availability of current seeds, almost all of which are already well protected in designated seed banks around the world?

Anytime Bill Gates, the Rockefeller Foundation, Monsanto and Syngenta get together on a common project, it’s worth digging a bit deeper behind the rocks on Spitsbergen. When we do we find some fascinating things.

The first notable point is who is sponsoring the doomsday seed vault. Here joining the Norwegians are, as noted, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; the US agribusiness giant DuPont/Pioneer Hi-Bred, one of the world’s largest owners of patented genetically-modified (GMO) plant seeds and related agrichemicals; Syngenta, the Swiss-based major GMO seed and agrichemicals company through its Syngenta Foundation; the Rockefeller Foundation, the private group who created the “gene revolution with over $100 million of seed money since the 1970’s; CGIAR, the global network created by the Rockefeller Foundation to promote its ideal of genetic purity through agriculture change.

CGIAR and ‘The Project’

As I detailled in the book, Seeds of Destruction, in 1960 the Rockefeller Foundation, John D. Rockefeller III’s Agriculture Development Council and the Ford Foundation joined forces to create the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Los Baños, the Philippines.1 By 1971, the Rockefeller Foundation’s IRRI, along with their Mexico-based International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center and two other Rockefeller and Ford Foundation-created international research centers, the IITA for tropical agriculture, Nigeria, and IRRI for rice, Philippines, combined to form a global Consultative Group on International Agriculture Research (CGIAR).

http://www.cgiar.org/index.html

CGIAR was shaped at a series of private conferences held at the Rockefeller Foundation’s conference center in Bellagio, Italy. Key participants at the Bellagio talks were the Rockefeller Foundation’s George Harrar, Ford Foundation’s Forrest Hill, Robert McNamara of the World Bank and Maurice Strong, the Rockefeller family’s international environmental organizer, who, as a Rockefeller Foundation Trustee, organized the UN Earth Summit in Stockholm in 1972. It was part of the foundation’s decades long focus to turn science to the service of eugenics, a hideous version of racial purity, what has been called The Project.

To ensure maximum impact, CGIAR drew in the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization, the UN Development Program and the World Bank. Thus, through a carefully-planned leverage of its initial funds, the Rockefeller Foundation by the beginning of the 1970’s was in a position to shape global agriculture policy. And shape it did.

Financed by generous Rockefeller and Ford Foundation study grants, CGIAR saw to it that leading Third World agriculture scientists and agronomists were brought to the US to ‘master’ the concepts of modern agribusiness production, in order to carry it back to their homeland. In the process they created an invaluable network of influence for US agribusiness promotion in those countries, most especially promotion of the GMO ‘Gene Revolution’ in developing countries, all in the name of science and efficient, free market agriculture.

Genetically engineering a master race?

Now the Svalbard Seed Bank begins to become interesting. But it gets better. ‘The Project’ I referred to is the project of the Rockefeller Foundation and powerful financial interests since the 1920’s to use eugenics, later renamed genetics, to justify creation of a genetically-engineered Master Race. Hitler and the Nazis called it the Ayran Master Race.

The eugenics of Hitler were financed to a major extent by the same Rockefeller Foundation which today is building a doomsday seed vault to preserve samples of every seed on our planet. Now this is getting really intriguing. The same Rockefeller Foundation created the pseudo-science discipline of molecular biology in their relentless pursuit of reducing human life down to the ‘defining gene sequence’ which, they hoped, could then be modified in order to change human traits at will. Hitler’s eugenics scientists, many of whom were quietly brought to the United States after the War to continue their biological eugenics research, laid much of the groundwork of genetic engineering of various life forms, much of it supported openly until well into the Third Reich by Rockefeller Foundation generous grants.2

The same Rockefeller Foundation created the so-called Green Revolution, out of a trip to Mexico in 1946 by Nelson Rockefeller and former New Deal Secretary of Agriculture and founder of the Pioneer Hi-Bred Seed Company, Henry Wallace.

The Green Revolution purported to solve the world hunger problem to a major degree in Mexico, India and other select countries where Rockefeller worked. Rockefeller Foundation agronomist, Norman Borlaug, won a Nobel Peace Prize for his work, hardly something to boast about with the likes of Henry Kissinger sharing the same.

In reality, as it years later emerged, the Green Revolution was a brilliant Rockefeller family scheme to develop a globalized agribusiness which they then could monopolize just as they had done in the world oil industry beginning a half century before. As Henry Kissinger declared in the 1970’s, ‘If you control the oil you control the country; if you control food, you control the population.’

Agribusiness and the Rockefeller Green Revolution went hand-in-hand. They were part of a grand strategy which included Rockefeller Foundation financing of research for the development of genetic engineering of plants and animals a few years later.

John H. Davis had been Assistant Agriculture Secretary under President Dwight Eisenhower in the early 1950’s. He left Washington in 1955 and went to the Harvard Graduate School of Business, an unusual place for an agriculture expert in those days. He had a clear strategy. In 1956, Davis wrote an article in the Harvard Business Review in which he declared that “the only way to solve the so-called farm problem once and for all, and avoid cumbersome government programs, is to progress from agriculture to agribusiness.” He knew precisely what he had in mind, though few others had a clue back then--- a revolution in agriculture production that would concentrate control of the food chain in corporate multinational hands, away from the traditional family farmer.3

A crucial aspect driving the interest of the Rockefeller Foundation and US agribusiness companies was the fact that the Green Revolution was based on proliferation of new hybrid seeds in developing markets. One vital aspect of hybrid seeds was their lack of reproductive capacity. Hybrids had a built in protection against multiplication. Unlike normal open pollinated species whose seed gave yields similar to its parents, the yield of the seed borne by hybrid plants was significantly lower than that of the first generation.

The ICARDA genebank located in Aleppo, Syria, holds approximately 25 % of the CGIAR's total germplasm collections.

That declining yield characteristic of hybrids meant farmers must normally buy seed every year in order to obtain high yields. Moreover, the lower yield of the second generation eliminated the trade in seed that was often done by seed producers without the breeder’s authorization. It prevented the redistribution of the commercial crop seed by middlemen. If the large multinational seed

companies were able to control the parental seed lines in house, no competitor or farmer would be able to produce the hybrid. The global concentration of hybrid seed patents into a handful of giant seed companies, led by DuPont’s Pioneer Hi-Bred and Monsanto’s Dekalb laid the ground for the later GMO seed revolution.4

In effect, the introduction of modern American agricultural technology, chemical fertilizers and commercial hybrid seeds all made local farmers in developing countries, particularly the larger more established ones, dependent on foreign, mostly US agribusiness and petro-chemical company inputs. It was a first step in what was to be a decades-long, carefully planned process.

Under the Green Revolution Agribusiness was making major inroads into markets which were previously of limited access to US exporters. The trend was later dubbed “market-oriented agriculture.” In reality it was agribusiness-controlled agriculture.

Through the Green Revolution, the Rockefeller Foundation and later Ford Foundation worked hand-in-hand shaping and supporting the foreign policy goals of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and of the CIA.

One major effect of the Green Revolution was to depopulate the countryside of peasants who were forced to flee into shantytown slums around the cities in desperate search for work. That was no accident; it was part of the plan to create cheap labor pools for forthcoming US multinational manufactures, the ‘globalization’ of recent years.

When the self-promotion around the Green Revolution died down, the results were quite different from what had been promised. Problems had arisen from indiscriminate use of the new chemical pesticides, often with serious health consequences. The mono-culture cultivation of new hybrid seed varieties decreased soil fertility and yields over time. The first results were impressive: double or even triple yields for some crops such as wheat and later corn in Mexico. That soon faded.

The Green Revolution was typically accompanied by large irrigation projects which often included World Bank loans to construct huge new dams, and flood previously settled areas and fertile farmland in the process. Also, super-wheat produced greater yields by saturating the soil with huge amounts of fertilizer per acre, the fertilizer being the product of nitrates and petroleum, commodities controlled by the Rockefeller-dominated Seven Sisters major oil companies.

Huge quantities of herbicides and pesticides were also used, creating additional markets for the oil and chemical giants. As one analyst put it, in effect, the Green Revolution was merely a chemical revolution. At no point could developing nations pay for the huge amounts of chemical fertilizers and pesticides. They would get the credit courtesy of the World Bank and special loans by Chase Bank and other large New York banks, backed by US Government guarantees.

Applied in a large number of developing countries, those loans went mostly to the large landowners. For the smaller peasants the situation worked differently. Small peasant farmers could not afford the chemical and other modern inputs and had to borrow money.

Initially various government programs tried to provide some loans to farmers so that they could purchase seeds and fertilizers. Farmers who could not participate in this kind of program had to borrow from the private sector. Because of the exorbitant interest rates for informal loans, many small farmers did not even get the benefits of the initial higher yields. After harvest, they had to sell most if not all of their produce to pay off loans and interest. They became dependent on money-lenders and traders and often lost their land. Even with soft loans from government agencies, growing subsistence crops gave way to the production of cash crops.5

Since decades the same interests including the Rockefeller Foundation which backed the initial Green Revolution, have worked to promote a second ‘Gene Revolution’ as Rockefeller Foundation President Gordon Conway termed it several years ago, the spread of industrial agriculture and commercial inputs including GMO patented seeds.

Gates, Rockefeller and a Green Revolution in Africa

With the true background of the 1950’s Rockefeller Foundation Green Revolution clear in mind, it becomes especially curious that the same Rockefeller Foundation along with the Gates Foundation which are now investing millions of dollars in preserving every seed against a possible “doomsday” scenario are also investing millions in a project called The Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa.

AGRA, as it calls itself, is an alliance again with the same Rockefeller Foundation which created the “Gene Revolution.” A look at the AGRA Board of Directors confirms this.

It includes none other than former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan as chairman. In his acceptance speech in a World Economic Forum event in Cape Town South Africa in June 2007, Kofi Annan stated, ‘I accept this challenge with gratitude to the Rockefeller Foundation, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and all others who support our African campaign.’

In addition the AGRA board numbers a South African, Strive Masiyiwa who is a Trustee of the Rockefeller Foundation. It includes Sylvia M. Mathews of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; Mamphela Ramphele, former Managing Director of the World Bank (2000 – 2006); Rajiv J. Shah of the Gates Foundation; Nadya K. Shmavonian of the Rockefeller Foundation; Roy Steiner of the Gates Foundation. In addition, an Alliance for AGRA includes Gary Toenniessen the Managing Director of the Rockefeller Foundation and Akinwumi Adesina, Associate Director, Rockefeller Foundation.

To fill out the lineup, the Programmes for AGRA includes Peter Matlon, Managing Director, Rockefeller Foundation; Joseph De Vries, Director of the Programme for Africa’s Seed Systems and Associate Director, Rockefeller foundation; Akinwumi Adesina, Associate Director, Rockefeller Foundation. Like the old failed Green Revolution in India and Mexico, the new Africa Green Revolution is clearly a high priority of the Rockefeller Foundation.

While to date they are keeping a low profile, Monsanto and the major GMO agribusiness giants are believed at the heart of using Kofi Annan’s AGRA to spread their patented GMO seeds across Africa under the deceptive label, ‘bio-technology,’ the new euphemism for genetically engineered patented seeds. To date South Africa is the only African country permitting legal planting of GMO crops. In 2003 Burkina Faso authorized GMO trials. In 2005 Kofi Annan’s Ghana drafted bio-safety legislation and key officials expressed their intentions to pursue research into GMO crops.

Africa is the next target in the US-government campaign to spread GMO worldwide. Its rich soils make it an ideal candidate. Not surprisingly many African governments suspect the worst from the GMO sponsors as a multitude of genetic engineering and biosafety projects have been initiated in Africa, with the aim of introducing GMOs into Africa’s agricultural systems. These include sponsorships offered by the US government to train African scientists in genetic engineering in the US, biosafety projects funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the World Bank; GMO research involving African indigenous food crops.

The Rockefeller Foundation has been working for years to promote, largely without success, projects to introduce GMOs into the fields of Africa. They have backed research that supports the applicability of GMO cotton in the Makhathini Flats in South Africa.

Monsanto, who has a strong foothold in South Africa’s seed industry, both GMO and hybrid, has conceived of an ingenious smallholders’ programme known as the ‘Seeds of Hope’ Campaign, which is introducing a green revolution package to small scale poor farmers, followed, of course, by Monsanto’s patented GMO seeds. 6

Syngenta AG of Switzerland, one of the ‘Four Horsemen of the GMO Apocalypse’ is pouring millions of dollars into a new greenhouse facility in Nairobi, to develop GMO insect resistant maize. Syngenta is a part of CGIAR as well.7

industria jewelry
on Etsy
on Trunkt

Offline industria

• industria
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 07:06:39 am »

Continued from above:

Move on to Svalbard

Now is it simply philosophical sloppiness? What leads the Gates and Rockefeller foundations to at one and the same time to back proliferation of patented and soon-to-be Terminator patented seeds across Africa, a process which, as it has in every other place on earth, destroys the plant seed varieties as monoculture industrialized agribusiness is introduced? At the same time they invest tens of millions of dollars to preserve every seed variety known in a bomb-proof doomsday vault near the remote Arctic Circle ‘so that crop diversity can be conserved for the future’ to restate their official release?

It is no accident that the Rockefeller and Gates foundations are teaming up to push a GMO-style Green Revolution in Africa at the same time they are quietly financing the ‘doomsday seed vault’ on Svalbard. The GMO agribusiness giants are up to their ears in the Svalbard project.

Indeed, the entire Svalbard enterprise and the people involved call up the worst catastrophe images of the Michael Crichton bestseller, Andromeda Strain, a sci-fi thriller where a deadly disease of extraterrestrial origin causes rapid, fatal clotting of the blood threatening the entire human species. In Svalbard, the future world’s most secure seed repository will be guarded by the policemen of the GMO Green Revolution--the Rockefeller and Gates Foundations, Syngenta, DuPont and CGIAR.

The Svalbard project will be run by an organization called the Global Crop Diversity Trust (GCDT). Who are they to hold such an awesome trust over the planet’s entire seed varieties? The GCDT was founded by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and Bioversity International (formerly the International Plant Genetic Research Institute), an offshoot of the CGIAR.

The Global Crop Diversity Trust is based in Rome. Its Board is chaired by Margaret Catley-Carlson a Canadian also on the advisory board of Group Suez Lyonnaise des Eaux, one of the world’s largest private water companies. Catley-Carlson was also president until 1998 of the New York-based Population Council, John D. Rockefeller’s population reduction organization, set up in 1952 to advance the Rockefeller family’s eugenics program under the cover of promoting “family planning,” birth control devices, sterilization and “population control” in developing countries.

Other GCDT board members include former Bank of America executive presently head of the Hollywood DreamWorks Animation, Lewis Coleman. Coleman is also the lead Board Director of Northrup Grumman Corporation, one of America’s largest military industry Pentagon contractors.

Jorio Dauster (Brazil) is also Board Chairman of Brasil Ecodiesel. He is a former Ambassador of Brazil to the European Union, and Chief Negotiator of Brazil’s foreign debt for the Ministry of Finance. Dauster has also served as President of the Brazilian Coffee Institute and as Coordinator of the Project for the Modernization of Brazil’s Patent System, which involves legalizing patents on seeds which are genetically modified, something until recently forbidden by Brazil’s laws.

Cary Fowler is the Trust’s Executive Director. Fowler was Professor and Director of Research in the Department for International Environment & Development Studies at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences. He was also a Senior Advisor to the Director General of Bioversity International. There he represented the Future Harvest Centres of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) in negotiations on the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources. In the 1990s, he headed the International Program on Plant Genetic Resources at the FAO. He drafted and supervised negotiations of FAO’s Global Plan of Action for Plant Genetic Resources, adopted by 150 countries in 1996. He is a past-member of the National Plant Genetic Resources Board of the US and the Board of Trustees of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center in Mexico, another Rockefeller Foundation and CGIAR project.

GCDT board member Dr. Mangala Rai of India is the Secretary of India’s Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE), and Director General of the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). He is also a Board Member of the Rockefeller Foundation’s International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), which promoted the world’s first major GMO experiment, the much-hyped ‘Golden Rice’ which proved a failure. Rai has served as Board Member for CIMMYT (International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center), and a Member of the Executive Council of the CGIAR.

Global Crop Diversity Trust Donors or financial angels include as well, in the words of the Humphrey Bogart Casablanca classic, ‘all the usual suspects.’ As well as the Rockefeller and Gates Foundations, the Donors include GMO giants DuPont-Pioneer Hi-Bred, Syngenta of Basle Switzerland, CGIAR and the State Department’s energetically pro-GMO agency for development aid, USAID. Indeed it seems we have the GMO and population reduction foxes guarding the hen-house of mankind, the global seed diversity store in Svalbard. 8

Why now Svalbard?

We can legitimately ask why Bill Gates and the Rockefeller Foundation along with the major genetic engineering agribusiness giants such as DuPont and Syngenta, along with CGIAR are building the Doomsday Seed Vault in the Arctic.

In February, researchers and executives involved in the Svalbard International Seed Vault gathered at the future site of the vault 1,000 kilometers north of Norway to break ground. The vault can hold up to 3 million varieties of seeds.

Who uses such a seed bank in the first place? Plant breeders and researchers are the major users of gene banks. Today’s largest plant breeders are Monsanto, DuPont, Syngenta and Dow Chemical, the global plant-patenting GMO giants. Since early in 2007 Monsanto holds world patent rights together with the United States Government for plant so-called ‘Terminator’ or Genetic Use Restriction Technology (GURT). Terminator is an ominous technology by which a patented commercial seed commits ‘suicide’ after one harvest. Control by private seed companies is total. Such control and power over the food chain has never before in the history of mankind existed.

This clever genetically engineered terminator trait forces farmers to return every year to Monsanto or other GMO seed suppliers to get new seeds for rice, soybeans, corn, wheat whatever major crops they need to feed their population. If broadly introduced around the world, it could within perhaps a decade or so make the world’s majority of food producers new feudal serfs in bondage to three or four giant seed companies such as Monsanto or DuPont or Dow Chemical.

That, of course, could also open the door to have those private companies, perhaps under orders from their host government, Washington, deny seeds to one or another developing country whose politics happened to go against Washington’s. Those who say ‘It can’t happen here’ should look more closely at current global events. The mere existence of that concentration of power in three or four private US-based agribusiness giants is grounds for legally banning all GMO crops even were their harvest gains real, which they manifestly are not.

These private companies, Monsanto, DuPont, Dow Chemical hardly have an unsullied record in terms of stewardship of human life. They developed and proliferated such innovations as dioxin, PCBs, Agent Orange. They covered up for decades clear evidence of carcinogenic and other severe human health consequences of use of the toxic chemicals. They have buried serious scientific reports that the world’s most widespread herbicide, glyphosate, the essential ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide that is tied to purchase of most Monsanto genetically engineered seeds, is toxic when it seeps into drinking water.9  Denmark banned glyphosate in 2003 when it confirmed it has contaminated the country’s groundwater.10

The diversity stored in seed gene banks is the raw material for plant breeding and for a great deal of basic biological research. Several hundred thousand samples are distributed annually for such purposes. The UN’s FAO lists some 1400 seed banks around the world, the largest being held by the United States Government. Other large banks are held by China, Russia, Japan, India, South Korea, Germany and Canada in descending order of size. In addition, CGIAR operates a chain of seed banks in select centers around the world.

CGIAR, set up in 1972 by the Rockefeller Foundation and Ford Foundation to spread their Green Revolution agribusiness model, controls most of the private seed banks from the Philippines to Syria to Kenya. In all these present seed banks hold more than six and a half million seed varieties, almost two million of which are ‘distinct.’ Svalbard’s Doomsday Vault will have a capacity to house four and a half million different seeds.

GMO as a weapon of biowarfare?

Now we come to the heart of the danger and the potential for misuse inherent in the Svalbard project of Bill Gates and the Rockefeller foundation. Can the development of patented seeds for most of the world’s major sustenance crops such as rice, corn, wheat, and feed grains such as soybeans ultimately be used in a horrible form of biological warfare?

The explicit aim of the eugenics lobby funded by wealthy elite families such as Rockefeller, Carnegie, Harriman and others since the 1920’s, has embodied what they termed ‘negative eugenics,’ the systematic killing off of undesired bloodlines. Margaret Sanger, a rapid eugenicist, the founder of Planned Parenthood International and an intimate of the Rockefeller family, created something called The Negro Project in 1939, based in Harlem, which as she confided in a letter to a friend, was all about the fact that, as she put it, ‘we want to exterminate the Negro population.’ 11

A small California biotech company, Epicyte, in 2001 announced the development of genetically engineered corn which contained a spermicide which made the semen of men who ate it sterile. At the time Epicyte had a joint venture agreement to spread its technology with DuPont and Syngenta, two of the sponsors of the Svalbard Doomsday Seed Vault. Epicyte was since acquired by a North Carolina biotech company. Astonishing to learn was that Epicyte had developed its spermicidal GMO corn with research funds from the US Department of Agriculture, the same USDA which, despite worldwide opposition, continued to finance the development of Terminator technology, now held by Monsanto.

In the 1990’s the UN’s World Health Organization launched a campaign to vaccinate millions of women in Nicaragua, Mexico and the Philippines between the ages of 15 and 45, allegedly against Tentanus, a sickness arising from such things as stepping on a rusty nail. The vaccine was not given to men or boys, despite the fact they are presumably equally liable to step on rusty nails as women.

Because of that curious anomaly, Comite Pro Vida de Mexico, a Roman Catholic lay organization became suspicious and had vaccine samples tested. The tests revealed that the Tetanus vaccine being spread by the WHO only to women of child-bearing age contained human Chorionic Gonadotrophin or hCG, a natural hormone which when combined with a tetanus toxoid carrier stimulated antibodies rendering a woman incapable of maintaining a pregnancy. None of the women vaccinated were told.

It later came out that the Rockefeller Foundation along with the Rockefeller’s Population Council, the World Bank (home to CGIAR), and the United States’ National Institutes of Health had been involved in a 20-year-long project begun in 1972 to develop the concealed abortion vaccine with a tetanus carrier for WHO. In addition, the Government of Norway, the host to the Svalbard Doomsday Seed Vault, donated $41 million to develop the special abortive Tetanus vaccine. 12

Is it a coincidence that these same organizations, from Norway to the Rockefeller Foundation to the World Bank are also involved in the Svalbard seed bank project? According to Prof. Francis Boyle who drafted the Biological Weapons Anti-Terrorism Act of 1989 enacted by the US Congress, the Pentagon is ‘now gearing up to fight and win biological warfare’ as part of two Bush national strategy directives adopted, he notes, ‘without public knowledge and review’ in 2002. Boyle adds that in 2001-2004 alone the US Federal Government spent $14.5 billion for civilian bio-warfare-related work, a staggering sum.

Rutgers University biologist Richard Ebright estimates that over 300 scientific institutions and some 12,000 individuals in the USA today have access to pathogens suitable for biowarfare. Alone there are 497 US Government NIH grants for research into infectious diseases with biowarfare potential. Of course this is being justified under the rubric of defending against possible terror attack as so much is today.

Many of the US Government dollars spent on biowarfare research involve genetic engineering. MIT biology professor Jonathan King says that the ‘growing bio-terror programs represent a significant emerging danger to our own population.’ King adds, ‘while such programs are always called defensive, with biological weapons, defensive and offensive programs overlap almost completely.’ 13

Time will tell whether, God Forbid, the Svalbard Doomsday Seed Bank of Bill Gates and the Rockefeller Foundation is part of another Final Solution, this involving the extinction of the Late, Great Planet Earth.

industria jewelry
on Etsy
on Trunkt

Offline pac522

• Peace sells, but who's buying?
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 07:16:28 am »
They spend untold billions to dig a hole in the arctic to preserve seeds for growing food, yet there are millions of people starving on the planet.

Ask yourself what sense does that make?
This country did not achieve greatness with the mindset of "safety first" but rather "live free or die".

Truth is the currency of love. R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution!

We are all running on Gods laptop.
The problem is the virus called the Illuminati.  ~EvadingGrid

The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Offline andy1033

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 07:20:48 am »
Do you think this has anything to do with gm foods and seeds. Are they storing these in case gm seeds and foods go wrong, so they know they have a base of what nature made in the first place.

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 07:40:59 am »
Do you think this has anything to do with gm foods and seeds. Are they storing these in case gm seeds and foods go wrong, so they know they have a base of what nature made in the first place.
That's exactly what this is for. The stuff they've created can give rise to superviruses. The DNA has dormant viruses, but to activate the genes they insert they use certain genes called promoters that can also end up activating the dormant viruses because everything they insert into the genome isn't stable but can start moving around and doing things they didn't expect. It's very disturbing. Here's some information about it: http://home.intekom.com/tm_info/rw90113.htm#11
We're dependant upon them to give us the original crops again when this ends up going wrong and gives rise to these new viruses.

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 07:58:53 am »
Some more information on these new viruses:
http://www.saynotogmos.org/virus_hazard.htm
Don't count on these companies to help us out when this starts causing disasters. The same companies creating GMO crops are the ones that are responsible for the aspartame in your food and created Agent Orange that's still causing deformed children to be born with bulging eyes in Vietnam.

Offline Artmic

Doomsday seed preservation for the new world order?
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 02:18:31 pm »
new world order trying to preserver some seeds before they f-k with the DNA of the current crops.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/02/26/norway.seeds/index.html

Offline pac522

• Peace sells, but who's buying?
Re: Doomsday seed preservation for the new world order?
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 05:35:36 pm »
new world order trying to preserver some seeds before they f-k with the DNA of the current crops.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/02/26/norway.seeds/index.html

7000 different apples, 6800 are now extinct? And why? It's a man made extinction. We've run out of land? The world's food supply is not sustainable? The programing has begun.

I'm in Bizzaro world again. Goodbye. Hello.

This country did not achieve greatness with the mindset of "safety first" but rather "live free or die".

Truth is the currency of love. R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution!

We are all running on Gods laptop.
The problem is the virus called the Illuminati.  ~EvadingGrid

The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 07:09:40 pm »
WAKE UP!!!

I mean how much more fricking obvious does it get?

This one thread has converted so many people that the entire iraq war has not.  I mean some people just live in an "it's ok, they are over ther" world like in Vietnam.  But this issue is the entire planet.  They are left bewildered, shocked, confused.  that is the right time to show them endgame.

i mean wtf elites, do you think we all of a sudden have no brain?

Offline Div

• Don't Tread On Me
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 07:14:59 pm »
I guess Norway didn't like the idea of depending on UN food rations.
Is a man not entitled to the sweat on his brow?
"No", says the man in Washington, "it belongs to the poor!"
"No", says the man in the Vatican, "it belongs to God!"
"No", says the man in Moscow, "it belongs to everybody!"

• onehundredmonkeys
    • onehundredmonkeys
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 04:03:26 am »
Bill Gates (see following post)
Thanks for relaying this excellent article.

• onehundredmonkeys
    • onehundredmonkeys
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 04:18:52 am »
"countries can deposit seeds for free and reserve the right to withdraw them upon need."
Does than not sound a bit worrying also?
It looks like a banking-scheme, i am sure the 'withdrawl' will NOT be free?

Is it another power tool? To make countries dependant to 'the bank' (after 'they' sprayed their own crops and whatnot)

Also, what is WITH the exclusive plant stuff?
Everyone should know we live in a biosphere in-where all life is dependant to eachother.
To safe only one or 2 lifeforms, will not do.
At least the 'real' arch of Noah, had some diversity in lifeforms.
(this is my first reaction, i will read on and see if i missed something?   ??? )

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 05:20:06 am »
Most of the information on the true reason for Disney's EPCOT center is lost in American History, but here are a few of the remnants:
------------------------------------
http://www.orlando-vacation-villa-rentals.com/epcot.html

MONSANTO HOUSE OF THE FUTURE

Author Stewart Brand concludes that there is a "shocking lack of data" about how buildings "behave" over time.  In theory, EPCOT would be constantly learning as technology changed.  As the Monsanto House of the Future indicated, change can come rapidly and in unpredictable ways.  As the rate of technological change increases, EPCOT's structured-for-change environment becomes increasingly relevant in design and construction.

Living With the Land

Continuing on the ecological trail, this is an informative boat ride through Disney's living laboratories where you get to find out about some of the developments in food production which are helping countries with poor harvests and lack of food.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.orlando-vacation-villa-rentals.com/epcot.html

EPCOT was not originally supposed to be a theme park; Disney wanted to really make it an "experimental prototype community of tomorrow" and let people live in the many different places of the park.
REPORTED: Ellen S. 01 SEP 96

While EPCOT Center was originally planned as an "Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow", we all know that financial as well as other considerations dictated that the dream of Walt Disney be changed from a city to a new gated attraction. Now, the Disney company has created Celebration. Celebration will be a true planned community including a downtown, health center, school, post office, town hall, golf course, single family homes, townhouses and apartments. Disney used the services of top-name architects in developing the plans for Celebration.
CONFIRMED: TR Shaw 02 SEP 96

This is an Epcot fact. Epcot no longer stands for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. The name now is just Epcot If you notice Disney now spells it with upper and lower case letters and not all capitals. I was told that an acronym is not able to be copyrighted and so legally it had to be changed to a word.
CONFIRMED: Michele Cawley 05 SEP 96

The actual reason for the change in name from EPCOT to Epcot is that the name has now become recognizeable, and no longer needs the anagram. Not to mention the fact that it is not a community. The official name is now Epcot plus whatever year it may be, ie Epcot '96.
CONFIRMED: Cary Kirby 09 DEC 96

I am a professional futurist with the World Future Society -- and have had access to a lot of information regarding the original purposes of EPCOT. The real purpose of EPCOT was as you have stated: An Experimental Prototype Community of Tommorrow (there's a book out that goes into great detail about the utopian vision of Disney -- called "Disney's World"). The concept was a utopian community -- a university in the medevial sense -- where the best and brightest from around the world (World Showcase) would be able to share their culture with all; -- where companies from around the world would work on creating a better future; -- using the students from the community to perform research projects in the areas of advanced communications (Spaceship earth), energy and resources (Energy), construction and engineering (horizons), transportation (world of transportation), food production (the land), and entertainment (imagination center). Disney got his idea from the 1964 world's fair NYC which he worked on in earnest.

You are incorrect in saying that it was not to be a "gated" attraction. It was. Disney thought that education and research on the future could be advanced greatly if the world could "come into the research university" and see how things are thought up first-hand. He envisioned that people would pay money -- not just to see this; but also to experience it through what he envisioned as the "Disney University" -- not a physical structure, but the world's first virtual university -- pulled together within the Communication Core structure (where Innoventions is now situated). The Communications Core according to Disney was to have on-site conference and classrooms -- a center for educators who would visit Epcot -- and a video production and computer production facility with the latest state-of-the art equipment linked by satellite broadcasting to the schools of the world. He envisioned that EPCOT's mission would be to "always remain 30 years in the future" solving mankind's biggest problems. And, then providing working solutions to the rest of society from the broadcast center in the Communication Core.

He was very moved by Buckminster Fuller, Alvin Toffler, Arthur C. Clarke, Ted Gordon and other futurists and he invited SRI International and RAND Corporation to become involved in EPCOT's early planning. His ultimate goal was to use his creations to enhance society and make it a better place.

The concept of EPCOT as a working virtual university of the best and brightest from around the world has always intrigued me. Especially because Walt had the insight to recognize that the Corporate World had to be involved in the vision as well. Walt died before EPCOT was completed. His brother Roy, an accountant by training, never shared Walt's utopian vision for Florida. He saw it as a money losing proposition that would have buried the Disney empire. I just wonder what would have happened if Walt had stayed alive long to see EPCOT completed and the first graduating class from his university concept?
UPDATE: Frank Sowa 09 DEC 96

EPCOT was indeed originally supposed to be a place where people would actually live. Science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke liked Walt's original conception so much that he incorporated it into his sequal novel for 2001: A Space Odyssy. In the introduction to the novel 2010, he makes it clear that the mother of Dave Bowman (the astronaut who undergoes the transformation because of the encounter he had with the monolith at Jupiter in the original movie and novel) is actually living at EPCOT. The novel out came and EPCOT opened at about the same time (I don't remember now which came first). Although the park's nature had changed a great deal from Walt's original vision of a working community, Clarke had already written it into his novel. It is interesting, and maybe a little sad, to see how different EPCOT is now.
UPDATE: Scott Frank 05 AUG 97

I'm a cast member from the 80's when the EPCOT Center theme park first opened. In dear old Walt's grand plan, the entire property making up WDW was considered as the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. The EPCOT Center theme park was created to be a showcase of new technologies and world cultures.
UPDATE: Jim Taylo 11 FEB 00

• onehundredmonkeys
    • onehundredmonkeys
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 11:01:38 am »
Most of the information on the true reason for Disney's EPCOT center is lost in American History, but here are a few of the remnants:

Yep, it's deja-vue alloveragain.
not to mention the 'Biosphere-2 project'
(oops did i mention it? scrap..)

Offline r3dbull

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 02:01:13 pm »
They spend untold billions to dig a hole in the arctic to preserve seeds for growing food, yet there are millions of people starving on the planet.

Ask yourself what sense does that make?

I think it's about 3 billion people starving, If I remember correctly.

Offline Amishism

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 06:44:36 pm »
Dangers of Genetically Engineered Foods

For a more in-depth look at 65 health risks of GM foods, excerpted from Jeffrey Smith's comprehensive new book Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods, click here.

The biotech industry claims that the FDA has thoroughly evaluated GM foods and found them safe. This is untrue. Internal FDA documents made public from a lawsuit, reveal that agency scientists warned that GM foods might create toxins, allergies, nutritional problems, and new diseases that might be difficult to identify.(131-140) Although they urged their superiors to require long-term tests on each GM variety prior to approval, the political appointees at the agency, including a former attorney for Monsanto, ignored the scientists. Official policy claims that the foods are no different(130) and do NOT require safety testing. A manufacturer can introduce a GM food without even informing the government or consumers.(146) A January 2001 report from an expert panel of the Royal Society of Canada said it was "scientifically unjustifiable"(136) to presume that GM foods are safe. Likewise, a 2002 report by the UK's Royal Society said that genetic modification "could lead to unpredicted harmful changes in the nutritional state of foods," and recommended that potential health effects of GM foods be rigorously researched before being fed to pregnant or breast-feeding women, elderly people, those suffering from chronic disease, and babies.(263)

How could the government approve dangerous foods? A close examination reveals that industry manipulation and political collusion-not sound science-was the driving force.

(Footnotes refer to pages in the book Seeds of Deception by Jeffrey M. Smith.)

Buying Non-GMO