Author Topic: THE LEADERSHIP SECRETS OF COLIN POWELL by Oren Harari  (Read 1783 times)

constitutional911

THE LEADERSHIP SECRETS OF COLIN POWELL by Oren Harari
« on: February 20, 2008, 01:38:56 am »
This is the prologue of a book that begins on the premise of 911 and how Colin Powell's Leadership was exemplary. Your comment pls.

THE LEADERSHIP SECRETS OF COLIN POWELL by Oren Harari

http://www.amazon.com/Leadership-Secrets-Colin-Powell/dp/007141861X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203492540&sr=8-1

PROLOGUE

LET ME BEGIN on a personal note. On September 10 2001, I had worked long into the night making revisions to the book that you are now holding. So I was still asleep at 7 a.m., Pacific Standard Time, when a relative called and blurted out something about the World Trade Center in New York City having been attacked by terrorists. Still groggy, I flicked on the TV. From that moment on, I- like millions of other people in America and around the world—found myself glued to the images of that horrific tragedy.

Over the next few days, my deadline seemed unimportant. My book seemed unimportant. The project came to a standstill.

Like much of the world, I was waiting to exhale—and I wasn’t sure exactly how or when that would happen.

Finally, a colleague snapped me out of my malaise. She pointed out to me that the entire world context had shifted in a terrifying few hours on September 11. The rules had changed. If anything, a book about how Colin Powell approaches the challenge of leadership had become even more important to many people around the globe than it had been back when the project was conceived.

That advice got my engine turning over again. And one of the things that kept it going was the figure at the center of this book, whom I had come to know over the previous several years. Colin Powell quickly emerged as one of the key players in our country’s effort to respond to the September tragedies and prevent their recurrence.

So I watched with more than ordinary interest as he conducted his numerous television briefings in the days immediately following the attack. Although he was at the epicenter of a new brand of war in a crisis situation, you wouldn’t have known it to look at him. He appeared calm, assured, dignified, and prepared—just as he had appeared in numerous situations over the preceding several decades.Watching him field questions, I couldn’t see any real change in his demeanor. The rules had changed, and dramatically, but—at least as far as the public could see—Powell had not. In the weeks prior to September 11, Powell had been energetically criticized in certain media outlets. He was called the “odd man out” in the Bush administration because he stubbornly clung to a multilateralist approach in a cabinet that appeared to be dominated by unilateralists.

Now, all that had changed as the U.S. reached out to build a coordinated global front against terrorism.

In the wake of the initial U.S. bombings of Afghanistan in early October, President Bush cited the work that Powell had done in helping to fashion an American response and build that worldwide coalition in the days following the attack.

“The secretary and his team,” Bush said, “did an extraordinary job of raising the levers of freedom to our side.” And so, once again, Powell assumed a key leadership role in shaping the strategic path of the United States, as he had done in so many previous capacities. For an author, there is some peril in being driven by the affairs of the present. We know that something momentous happened in September 2001, but because we’re still living that experience— and may be for many years—we’re unable to put it into any kind of meaningful perspective. So I had to resist recasting large portions of this book in the light of the terrorist attacks and their aftermath.

That is a task for tomorrow’s historians.

Nevertheless, as I put the finishing touches on this manuscript, it was clear that the emerging war on terrorism could provide compelling examples of how Powell’s leadership tenets played out on a real field of battle. And so, where appropriate, I have drawn on these examples.

For instance, some of the central ideas in one chapter were better explained by Powell’s efforts at antiterrorist coalition building than by the examples I had originally included. Similarly, I have revised several sections to reflect the most recent manifestations of those principles. I hope that by so doing, I haven’t overemphasized the history through which we are now living.

Equally, I hope I haven’t underemphasized it. When all is said and done, this book is about Powell’s leadership principles that have stood the test of time. While these principles are especially powerful in times of national crisis, I believe you will find them exceptionally relevant to your own personal and professional environment.

A BRIEF POWELL BIOGRAPHY

Colin Powell has had a truly extraordinary career. It’s a child-ofimmigrants’
tale, reflecting strong values, hard work, discipline, exceptional standards, and high integrity. Today, Powell is viewed as a hero by Americans of all stripes—and also by non-Americans. But he is far from the conventional conception of a military hero. He does not wear his ego on his sleeve...........
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PERSONAL NOTE: WHAT A BUNCH OF LIES!!!!

I sincerely hope tomorrow's historians EXPOSE Powell for the liar and murderer he is.

He is part of the Constitution Destroying PATRIOT ACT.

Pls see the following for some insight on the LIES of Colin Powell etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wHTNQrcCTA