Author Topic: Conan O'Brien ribs Obama over Jamming L.A. traffic: 'Skype works'  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Bitz

President Obama was in Century City on Wednesday night to accept a serious award from the USC Shoah Foundation — but his warmup act, comedian Conan O’Brien, still wasn’t over what Angelenos were calling Wednesday’s #Obamajam on major routes around town.

“As a resident of Los Angeles, I'm furious about what you do to traffic when you visit this city,” O’Brien said to laughter at the foundation's 20th anniversary gala. “What the hell? I know you left Washington six hours ago, but I left Burbank seven hours ago.”

“There are two things that make traffic shut down in this town — a visit from the president and a light drizzle,” O’Brien continued. “Now, I mean this with the greatest respect, Sir, but do you have to physically come here? We love you. This town loves you. You’ve got our vote. You’re good.

“Audience, what do you say to — next time we give President Obama a Los Angeles award, we mail it to him? And then we fly down the 405,” the comedian said. 

As the president laughed, O’Brien added that “Skype works” and that if he insisted on continuing to come to Los Angeles, he owed everyone a ride home in his helicopter.

O’Brien delivered his punch lines between speeches at the Shoah Foundation gathering, telling the crowd that the organization’s founder, Steven Spielberg, had insisted that he provide a little levity. Bruce Springsteen also performed two songs before Obama accepted the organization’s Ambassador for Humanity award.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-pn-conan-obrien-la-traffic-obama-20140507,0,1052059.story