Author Topic: What Recovery? Sears And J.C. Penney Are DYING  (Read 25387 times)

Offline Geniocrat

What Recovery? Sears And J.C. Penney Are DYING
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:34:17 pm »
What Recovery? Sears And J.C. Penney Are DYING

Michael Snyder
Economic Collapse
January 18, 2013

Two of the largest retailers in America are steamrolling toward bankruptcy. Sears and J.C. Penney are both losing hundreds of millions of dollars each quarter, and both of them appear to be caught in the grip of a death spiral from which it will be impossible to escape.

Once upon a time, Sears was actually the largest retailer in the United States, and even today Sears and J.C. Penney are “anchor stores” in malls all over the country. When I was growing up, my mother would take me to the mall when it was time to go clothes shopping, and there were usually just two options: Sears or J.C. Penney. When I got older, I actually worked for Sears for a little while. At the time, nobody would have ever imagined that Sears or J.C. Penney could go out of business someday.

But that is precisely what is happening. They are both shutting down unprofitable stores and laying off employees in a desperate attempt to avoid bankruptcy, but everyone knows that they are just delaying the inevitable. These two great retail giants are dying, and they certainly won’t be the last to fall. This is just the beginning.

The Death Of Sears

Sales have declined at Sears for 27 quarters in a row, and the legendary retailer has been closing hundreds of stores and selling off property in a frantic attempt to turn things around.

Unfortunately for Sears, it is not working. In fact, Sears has announced that it expects to lose “between $250 million to $360 million” for the quarter that will end on February 1st.

Things have gotten so bad that Sears is even making commercials that openly acknowledge how badly it is struggling. For example, consider the following bit of dialogue from a recent Sears television commercial featuring two young women…

“Wait, the movie theater is on the other side,” the passenger says.

“But Sears always has parking!” the driver responds.

Sears always has parking???

Of course the unspoken admission is that Sears always has parking because nobody shops there anymore.

I have posted video of the commercial below…

A couple of months ago I walked into a Sears store in the middle of the week and it was like a ghost town. A few associates were milling around here and there having private discussions among themselves, but other than that it was eerily quiet.

You can find 18 incredibly depressing photographs which do a great job of illustrating why Sears is steadily dying right here. This was once one of America’s greatest companies, but soon it will be dead.

The Death Of J.C. Penney

J.C. Penny has been a dead man walking for a long time. In some ways, it is in even worse shape than Sears.

If you can believe it, J.C. Penney actually lost 586 million dollars during the second quarter of 2013 alone.

How in the world do you lose 586 million dollars in three months?

Are they paying employees to flush giant piles of cash down the toilets?

This week J.C. Penney announced that it is eliminating 2,000 jobs and closing 33 stores. The following is a list of the store closings that was released to the public…

Selma, Ala. — Selma Mall
Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. — Arrow Plaza
Colorado Springs — Chapel Hills Mall
Meriden, Conn. — Meriden Square
Leesburg, Fla. — Lake Square Mall
Port Richey, Fla. — Gulf View Square
Muscatine, Iowa — Muscatine Mall
Bloomingdale, Ill. — Stratford Square Mall
Forsyth, Ill. — Hickory Point Mall
Marion, Ind. — Five Points Mall
Warsaw, Ind. — Marketplace Shopping Center
Salisbury, Md. — The Centre at Salisbury
Marquette, Mich. — Westwood Plaza
Worthington, Minn. — Northland Mall
Gautier, Miss. — Singing River Mall
Natchez, Miss. — Natchez Mall
Butte, Mont. — Butte Plaza Shopping Center
Cut Bank, Mont.
Kinston, N.C. — Vernon Park Mall
Burlington, N.J. — Burlington Center
Phillipsburg, N.J. — Phillipsburg Mall
Wooster, Ohio — Wayne Towne Plaza
Exton, Pa. — Exton Square Mall
Hazleton, Pa. — LaurelMall
Washington, Pa. — Washington Mall
Chattanooga — Northgate Mall
Bristol, Va. — Bristol Mall
Norfolk, Va. — Military Circle Mall
Fond du Lac, Wis., Forest Mall
Janesville, Wis. — Janesville Mall
Rhinelander, Wis. — Lincoln Plaza Center
Rice Lake, Wis. — Cedar Mall
Wausau, Wis. — Wausau Mall

The CEO of J.C. Penney says that these closures were necessary for the future of the company…

“As we continue to progress toward long-term profitable growth, it is necessary to reexamine the financial performance of our store portfolio and adjust our national footprint accordingly,” CEO Myron Ullman said in a news release.

Actually, his statement would be a lot more accurate if he replaced “continue to progress toward long-term profitable growth” with ” prepare for bankruptcy”.

It would be hard to overstate how much of a disaster 2013 was for J.C. Penney. The following is an excerpt from a recent CNN article…

It’s been a brutal year for J.C. Penney, its stock falling over 60% in the past 12 months. The company has been losing hundreds of millions of dollars per quarter, and is in the midst of another turnaround effort after ousting former Apple executive Ron Johnson last year.

Overall, shares of J.C. Penney have fallen by an astounding 84 percentsince February 2012. And keep in mind that this decline has happened during one of the greatest stock market rallies of all-time.

For now, J.C. Penney will continue to try to desperately raise more cash from investors that are foolish enough to give it to them, but all that is really accomplishing is just delaying the inevitable.

If you would like to see some photos that graphically illustrate why J.C. Penney is falling apart, you can find some right here.

And of course Sears and J.C. Penney are not the only large retailers that have fallen on hard times. This week the CEO of Best Buy admitted that sales declined at his chain during the holiday season…

Best Buy shares skid on Thursday after the retailer said total revenue and sales at its established U.S stores fell in the all-important holiday season due to intense discounting by rivals, supply constraints for key products and weak traffic in December.

In the immediate aftermath of that announcement, Best Buy stock was down more than 30 percent in pre-market trading.

And Macy’s just announced that it is laying off 2,500 employees in an attempt to move in a more profitable direction.

So why is all of this happening?

Aren’t we supposed to be in the midst of an “economic recovery”?

That is what the Obama administration and the mainstream media keep telling us, but it is simply not true.

In fact, a new Gallup survey has found that the number of Americans that are “financially worse off” than a year ago is significantly higher than the number of Americans that say that they are “financially better off” than a year ago…

More Americans, 42%, say they are financially worse off now than they were a year ago, reversing the lower levels found over the past two years. Just more than a third of Americans say their financial situation has improved from a year ago.

That is why these stores are dying.

Things continue to get even worse for the middle class.

But a lot of people out there will continue to deny what is happening right in front of their eyes. They are kind of like that woman over in California who was conned out of half a million dollars by a Nigerian online dating scam. They will never admit the truth until it is far too late to do anything about it.

So have you been to a Sears or a J.C. Penney lately?

Do you believe that they will survive?

Please feel free to share what you think by posting a comment below…

http://www.prisonplanet.com/what-recovery-sears-and-j-c-penney-are-dying.html

Offline Geniocrat

Re: What Recovery? Sears And J.C. Penney Are DYING
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 12:35:07 pm »
Yeah maybe when they close down the apolitical women and the apolitical homosexual communities will wake up to our economic crisis.

Offline Honor18

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 12:44:04 pm »
Having working in Asset protection for kmart before they went bankrupt and seeing what they went through it was just a matter of time for sears, jcpenny and other retailers ....... there is no middle class anymore hence the customers that shopped at those retailers no longer shop there as they do not have the money they used to have so where do they shop now ..... Dollar General stores !
     I have seen 6 Dollar general stores open in my City alone and we only have a population in the city limits of 72k this says alot as now the middle class has been turned into the poor .... we will see alot more retailers close up shop very soon !

Grocery chains are next .... We have a brand new Harveys down the street and I shop there occasionally and although they have the best prices for grocery in my area when I go in there I have never seen more than maybe 10 to 15 people at once ........... Guess where alot of people here are buying Groceries ..... Yep you guessed it Dollar General !

Offline One Revelator

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:51:21 pm »
Grocery chains are next .... We have a brand new Harveys down the street and I shop there occasionally and although they have the best prices for grocery in my area when I go in there I have never seen more than maybe 10 to 15 people at once ........... Guess where alot of people here are buying Groceries ..... Yep you guessed it Dollar General !

I’m seeing the beginnings of a “seconds” market for certain groceries. Canned and dry foods that get rejected due to damage or expiry are being redistributed to discount stores for cheap resale. Consumer choice becomes very limited. But the option of affordable food is there. Don’t know if this is what Dollar General is doing or not.
The number one cause of all human poverty, misery, and death is not global warming. It’s GLOBAL LYING.

Offline decemberfellow

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 02:58:19 pm »
I’m seeing the beginnings of a “seconds” market for certain groceries. Canned and dry foods that get rejected due to damage or expiry are being redistributed to discount stores for cheap resale. Consumer choice becomes very limited. But the option of affordable food is there. Don’t know if this is what Dollar General is doing or not.

Dollar General/  most food products made in China  people should be careful, saving a buck just may kill em.
Rev21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Who am I
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Fk6dt_uHo

Offline decemberfellow

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:04:41 pm »
I think I better take the time and "renew" my broken craftman tools before its to late.  Dang it love those tools.
Rev21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Who am I
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Fk6dt_uHo

Offline iamc2

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 03:56:53 pm »
I think I better take the time and "renew" my broken craftman tools before its to late.  Dang it love those tools.
Get the old Tools out: as they work the best: most of my tools are 20 years and older: and I do own a Craftsman's Circular Saw and Drill: well used and still with the original boxes [both are at least 30 years in service]!

The fun times are when I bring out my old electric tools and they out preform these New Battery operated pieces of JUNK!

'Dang it I love these tools also, my friend  ;)'

Americans live in a throw away society: and only want New Toys that last, only, for a moment: sad: but true!

Old sayin': 'If it is not broke: Do not try and fix it.'
"When the Truth was murdered:
Common Sense ran away..."

Offline Effie Trinket

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 04:58:10 pm »
Old article, yet prescient.

Been seeing stores I've liked to go to close down over the last few years.  A few new ones noticed 2 weeks ago.  Couple that with overhearing a phone call where the person said "we had to put up our house for sale because we can't afford the mortgage anymore."

Unbelievably terrible.  I can picture the entire country being turned into a ghost town.  Only the elites automated megacorporations will exist, and everyone else will be soft killed, and the patriots quick-killed to prevent the patriots from saving the country.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 09:35:20 pm »
Oh the ol' US Economy is just Busting out into a sprint !!!  Its as lean as a race horse

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jc-penney-closing-33-stores-cutting-2000-jobs/
J.C. Penney closing 33 stores, cutting 2,000 jobs
AP / January 16, 2014, 4: 06 AM

NEW YORK -- Struggling department-store operator J.C. Penney announced it will cut 2,000 jobs and close 33 stores as it tries to get back on the path to profitability.

The news raises concerns that Penney's holiday season sales were not what the company hoped for and that the chain needs to do even more to recover from a turnaround plan that has had disastrous results.

J.C. Penney Co., based in Plano, Texas, said earlier this month it was pleased with its holiday results but declined to give sales figures, raising worries among Wall Street analysts about how the season actually fared.

"It was a season where they realized that they had to do more to reconnect with the customers they've lost," said Brian Sozzi, CEO and chief equities strategist at Belus Capital Advisors.

The cuts announced Wednesday should save more than $65 million annually. The company will take $26 million in pretax charges in the third quarter and $17 million in future quarters. Penney has 116,000 staffers and operates more than 1,100 stores. All the job cuts are related to the store closings.

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2014/01/retail-roundup-macys-loehmanns-sears-kmart-barnesandnoble-holiday-shopping.html
Bad week for retail: Layoffs at Macy's, Loehmann's closing, Sears stock falls
 January 10, 2014

There was no shortage of bad news coming from the retail industry this week. On Wednesday ShopperTrak, a Chicago-based research firm, announced that while sales had increased a modest 2.7 percent during November and December, foot traffic fell 14.6 percent. The Chicago-based firm said that data shows shoppers took a break after Thanksgiving and Black Friday, did more shopping online than in 2012 and relied on last-minute shopping more than usual.
/...

Sears
 The company, which owns 500 stores, released disappointing holiday sales figures on Thursday. During the nine-week holiday shopping season, which ended Jan. 4, the retailer saw sales plummet 9.2 percent. At Kmart, which is owned by Sears, sales fell by 5.7 percent at stores that had been open at least a year. The company's stock fell more than 13 percent in after-hours trading following the announcement

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-crashing-2014-1
SEARS CRASHING AFTER GIGANTIC LOSS
Jan 9 2014

Sears Holdings is down 15% after hours after the company warned of Q4 losses.

The retailer sees a Q4 adjusted loss of $2.01-$2.98. Analysts were looking for earnings of $0.26 per share.

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/More-Store-Closings-Asset-Sales-May-Not-Be-Enough-to-Save-Sears-Analyst-Reports/153939
More Store Closings, Asset Sales May Not Be Enough to Save Sears, Analyst Reports
Also This Week: The latest new property availabilities from firms downsizing and closing up shops in California
By Mark Heschmeyer
November 4, 2013

Sears Holdings Corp. announced a number of actions this past week prior to releasing its earnings report for the third quarter. Sears warned that its third-quarter EBITDA loss will widen to $250 million to $300 million, compared with last year’s comparable-period EBITDA loss of $156 million.

The beleaguered retail giant said it would continue to evaluate its U.S. stores by reviewing each location, including leased locations that are set to expire, and decide whether or not to renew leases for them.

"We expect to improve our financial performance by removing unprofitable locations, and redeploying the capital tied up in those locations, while sharpening our focus around existing Sears and Kmart stores that have higher levels of profitability,” the company said. “We believe this will be accomplished without incurring significant closed store lease liabilities due to the nature of our leases.”

Chicago-based Sears also announced it was evaluating spinning off both its Lands' End and Sears Auto Center businesses.

Also, this week, Sears' Canadian operation announced an agreement to sell five store leases to Cadillac Fairview Corp. for $383 million.

Four of the five stores are in Ontario and the fifth store is British Columbia and co-owned by Ivanhoé Cambridge and Cadillac Fairview. The transaction requires Sears to vacate three of the locations by Feb. 28, 2014 and the other two a year later.
/...
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Offline iamc2

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 05:31:31 am »
             "America is Closed for Business."

the bastard globalists have destroyed our manufacturing; and this is a FACT!

if this continues all of the USA economy will fall off the planet... >:(

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 11:46:04 am »
Notice that the whole "local" distribution economy is disappearing , leaving people completely dependent on this new nearly invisible one that , if it goes, leaves people with nothing. Notice this new system is devoid of any culture or style , no community.  People can't afford to drive to the mall, can't afford to window shop except by internet. The previous store owners can no longer afford the overhead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o00TE3AbtZs
Clip from "Malls R Us" - Segment featuring Deadmalls.com

Filmed summer 2007, the documentary Malls R Us takes us to the mall, not just as a destination, but as a powerful profit-making venture. But, are developers going too far in pursuit of the next best mall, only to turn their profits and then dump the real estate, with no consideration for what was displaced, and what the future brings once the mall is abandoned. Careful thought and lessons learned in the United States are seemingly oblivious when the potential for profit is endless. I encourage you to watch this film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp4q3fKi8hI
ABANDONED MALL | VLOG
Published on Apr 18, 2013  

We went exploring in an old mall that's going to be torn down! We did not mean for this to be creepy or anything just another place we went vlogging!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vcgFkJ9RBI
Abandoned Rolling Acres Mall, Akron 2012
Rolling Acres Mall. A once beautiful, nationally recognized mall for its design; opened in 1975 which would later come to a sharp decline in 2007 and close indefinitely in 2008.

What once stood as a magnificent piece of architecture, including the center of the structure known as The Court of the Twelve Trees has now been thrown to ruins throughout the past 4 years.

This mall housed stores such as O'neil's, Pretzel Time, and JCPenny (Which still oddly stands to this day).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0HbfFyfxuI
Dead Mall - Carousel Mall - San Bernardino, CA
Published on Sep 1, 2013  

This mall is on life support! It's a ghost mall. Only a few lingering shops remain. So sad and dreary here. ... Recorded on Saturday, August 24, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX0Jv3sPGc0
Dead Mall: Mall at the Source Update - March 2013
Published on May 5, 2013  

This is an update on the status of the Mall at the Source in Westbury, NY. This video was made in early March, but I didn't get around to uploading it until now.

in the 6 months between my last video and this one, I'd say that it lost about half of its remaining tenants, including its biggest ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXdoFPvcF_M
Dead Shopping Center in Steele Creek, North Carolina.
Uploaded on May 15, 2011  

This video is shows a dead shopping center. There are many dying or dead shopping centers all over the United States. It shows how the real estate market is not turning around. This video also shows the failed real estate developers and what they leave behind after failing. The American economy is not coming back anytime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yCakVqs3S0
Crestwood Court: Dead Mall in its Final Days (A Walkthrough)
Published on Feb 29, 2012  

Crestwood court, formally the busiest mall in the St. Louis area, has declined dramatically in the past decade. Although the mall has made an attempt to revive itself by introducing "Artspace" (renting out stores to art studios), the mall's fate was sealed when Sears announced the closure of their store. Sears was the last remaining anchor store. Today, we take a walk through the mall 2 days before all art tenants were told to move out. The mall will mostly be torn down and gutted in the coming year, hopefully being turned into a new lifestyle center if the funding is available

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T2FEO1S4E0
Closed North Towne square mall in Toledo Ohio is now a ghost town
Published on Oct 17, 2009  
Another broke and empty Toledo mall

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/09/17/malls-dying-business-memories-column/2820677/
America's dying mall culture
Christopher Leonard 3:50 p.m. EDT September 18, 2013
The crippled and crumbling remains of shopping centers symbolize a golden age.

So it is that people cling to dead towns, dead malls, and the memory of how things used to be. It's irrational, economically — maybe emotionally, too. I should probably accept the waning of the towns and cities I knew growing up. But I still love to drink cheap coffee at places like Jerry's Subs, read nonfiction stories printed on paper and ponder the way things used to be. What can I say? It feels like home.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/2013/11/07/empty-shopping-malls-northeast-ohio/3469689/
Shopping malls sit empty across Northeast Ohio
Maureen Kyle, WKYC 7:47 p.m. EST November 7, 2013

In every part of Northeast Ohio, there's a former shopping mall sitting empty. That means property values drop and communities live with a blighted property.

Decades ago when Euclid Square Mall first opened, the place was bustling with people, fountains bubbled with water and every retail space was occupied. Now it's eerily quiet.

"First impression, it was surreal," says Robert Townsend, who used to work at Euclid Square mall for two years.

It is the first time since 1998 Robert Townsend stepped foot inside.

"It's like a movie where stuff closes or a bomb goes off or zombies. It's like that, it feels like that," he said.

Like other malls in Northeast Ohio, popularity dwindled, anchor stores moved out, and small mom and pops couldn't keep up. Acres of property now sit empty.

A 2006 Cleveland State study found every year, as stores closed, the city of Euclid lost $27,000 dollars in generated income tax.

Most of society is like Townsend, who grew up a mall rat. "I remember my mom would give me money and I would get on the bus and I would go to Randall with a roll of quarters and go to the arcade and play in the arcade or the $2 movie."

But he and so many others moved forward with the changing times.

"It's old fashioned. Like I watch reruns of "Rosanne" and they say 'the mall' and I'm like, 'Wow people don't do that anymore.'

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=cf016974-684e-4838-8165-5af134cc4208
Shopping malls empty out
Recession aftershocks send vacancies to their highest level in more than a decade.
by Kim Peterson Apr 8, 2011 1:35PM

Is the shopping mall an endangered species? Significant changes in the economy and in the way we shop are killing off mall stores.

This spring has seen mall vacancies hit their highest level in 11 years, The Wall Street Journal reports. The vacancy rate is a surprisingly high 9.1%. The situation is really miserable at strip malls, where the vacancy is forecast to surpass 11% later this year -- the highest level in 21 years.

There's another problem. In the past, many of those neighborhood malls did well with a big anchor store, something like a Borders bookstore or a Blockbuster. Both of those chains went into bankruptcy. And remember Mervyn's? I still see floundering shopping centers around the country with an empty Mervyn's space in the middle of them.

Another once-dependable anchor store was Best Buy (BBY), which is in its own identity crisis after losing significant business to places like Wal-Mart (WMT) and Target (TGT).

So can neighborhood shopping centers survive without those anchors? Well, there's one more big problem they're facing: The Internet. Online shopping is a serious threat, accounting for 12% of total spending over the holidays, the Journal reports.

"We will hit a tipping point soon, if we have not already, where online will become so mainstream that retailers will wonder what they need some of these big boxes for, when you have a retail presence in everyone's pocket via your smartphone," one retail analyst told the newspaper.

This is a major change in American culture as well. Losing the shopping mall -- even the smaller strip malls -- removes yet another meeting place and neighborhood center. Already, some cities are turning empty malls into offices and homes. Those are better uses for the land, no doubt, but a little identity disappears along the way.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 10:42:12 pm »
What we need is Disco! Bring disco and Roller rinks back and we will see a thriving economy , just like the unemployed in the late 70's and early eighties! Pre - cocaine and no AIDS!!!

Roller Skating: You've Come a Long Way Zanadu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vprZhrFNL_U
Roller Disco - Roller Boogie (1979)

Sequence of the film Roller Boogie (1979) starring Linda Blair. The film is set in Beverly Hills and is about a girl named Terry Barkley (Linda Blair) who lives with his parents and a wealthy life much money. One day Terry prepares to walk with her best friend Lana (Kimberly Beck), target boards where all skating. Later, Terry goes to a skating rink, where he meets Bobby James (Jim Bray), who is an expert skater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m1UWSD-FaA
Olivia Newton John & ELO - Xanadu
Olivia Newton-John & ELO
Xanadu
Soundtrack Xanadu (1980)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeqXSSLVxm4
The best choreographed roller skating scene ever. (Excuse the poor pixelized quality.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb4WLZHXcds
Olivia Newton John - Xanadu (FULL Film Video Version).mp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V19sDA49Iio
Bisquit - Roller Boogie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mPGPdD2R8g
"Playboy's Roller Disco & Pajama Party" (1979) - Part 1 - Richard Dawson, Dorothy Stratten
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRSBPgmwwkI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973%E2%80%9375_recession
1973–75 recession

The 1973–75 recession or 1970s recession was a period of economic stagnation in much of the Western world during the 1970s, putting an end to the general post-World War II economic boom. It differed from many previous recessions as being a stagflation, where high unemployment coincided with high inflation. The period was also described as one of "malaise" (ill-ease; compare "depression").
Although the economy was expanding from 1975 to the first recession of the early 1980s, which began in January 1980, inflation remained extremely high until the early years of the 1980s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_energy_crisis
The 1979 (or second) oil crisis in the United States occurred in the wake of the Iranian Revolution. Amid massive protests, the Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, fled his country in early 1979 and the Ayatollah Khomeini soon became the new leader of Iran.
Due to memories of oil shortage in 1973, motorists soon began panic buying, and long lines appeared at gas stations, as they had six years earlier during the 1973 oil crisis

Automobiles lining up for fuel at a service station in the U.S. state of Maryland in the United States, in June 1979.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1980s_recession
The early 1980s recession was a severe recession in the United States which began in July 1981 and ended in November 1982.[2][3] The primary cause of the recession was a contractionary monetary policy established by the Federal Reserve System to control high inflation.[4] In the wake of the 1973 oil crisis and the 1979 energy crisis, stagflation began to afflict the economy of the United States.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:13 am »
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/mar/04/radioshack-close-stores-falling-sales
RadioShack to close 1,100 stores due to mounting losses

Despite increased advertising, electronics retailer announces closure of a fifth of its total locations because of falling sales

theguardian.com, Tuesday 4 March 2014 10.33 EST   

RadioShack plans to close 1,100 stores – a fifth of its total – becoming the latest electronics retailer to slash its bricks-and-mortar presence in the face of falling sales.

The company announced the closures as it revealed that a sharp drop in sales over the holidays had left it with a loss of $400m last year, up from a loss of $139.4m in 2012. In the final quarter of the year, traditionally a retailer’s best, RadioShack lost $191.4m, up from a $63.3m loss for the same quarter a year earlier.

The closure announcement comes after RadioShack scored a critical hit at February’s Super Bowl with an ad that lampooned its woes. The spot, the company’s first Super Bowl ad in a decade, featured 1980s celebrities including Hulk Hogan, Twisted Sister singer “Dee” Snider and the puppet Alf and highlighted its efforts to update a tired image.

Offline Bitz

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 11:29:00 am »
I kind of expect that after they dumped whatever they had left on that superbowl commercial.

EvadingGrid

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 11:47:03 am »
I find this rather sad.

I have happy memories of shopping in J.C. Penny when I lived in the USA.

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 12:10:22 pm »
It saddens me because it is all being done by design.

When the façade comes crumbling down, people jumping out of windows due the 1929 crash will pale into insignificance.

People better learn some skills before it does.  :(
Please visit my website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 12:20:49 pm »
http://www.businessinsider.com/shopping-malls-are-going-extinct-2014-1
America's Shopping Malls Are Dying A Slow, Ugly Death
Jan 31 2014

All across America, once-vibrant shopping malls are boarded up and decaying.

Traffic-driving anchors like Sears and JCPenney are shutting down stores, and mall owners are having a hard time finding retailers large enough to replace them. With a fresh wave of closures on the horizon, the problem is set to accelerate, according to retail and real estate analysts.

About 15% of U.S. malls will fail or be converted into non-retail space within the next 10 years, according to Green Street Advisors, a real estate and REIT analytics firm. That's an increase from less than two years ago, when the firm predicted 10% of malls would fail or be converted.

"The risk of failure for a mall increases dramatically once you see anchor closures," said Cedric Lachance, managing director of Green Street Advisors. "Their health is very important ... and most of them are highly likely to continue closing stores."

What will eventually replace these ghost malls are community colleges, business offices, and health care facilities, according to Green Street Advisors.

Until then, many of these former shopping hubs will continue the gradual process of boarding up windows and turning out the lights, one store after another.

http://www.flatheadbeacon.com/articles/article/where_malls_are_dying_in_america
Where Malls are Dying in America

By Kellyn Brown, 05-22-09

The Wall Street Journal has a fascinating story today on where and why dozens of malls across America are losing retailers and “dying.” Retail sales have been hammered by the recession and malls that were struggling before the downturn are now on the brink.

One industry rule of thumb holds that any large, enclosed mall generating sales per square foot of $250 or less – the U.S. average is $381 – is in danger of failure.

Offline chris jones

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 12:51:14 pm »
 Once upon a time the stamp * MADE IN THE U.S.A.  was the winner worldwide. Skill, craft manship, pride in product, guaranteed.

Honors* post hit it, folks are struggling to maintain the lifestyle..cheaper. is the only option.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 03:47:25 pm »
http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/northshore/10284087-113/porters-tahoe-store-truckee
After 54 years, Porters Sports to close final Tahoe/Truckee location

TRUCKEE, Calif. — A longtime iconic Truckee/Tahoe winter gear shop is hanging up its skis for good.

After more than 50 years in business, Porters Sports Lake Tahoe is closing once it sells the remaining merchandise at its Truckee location at the Crossroads Shopping Center on Deerfield

Offline iamc2

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 04:19:48 pm »
http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/northshore/10284087-113/porters-tahoe-store-truckee
After 54 years, Porters Sports to close final Tahoe/Truckee location

TRUCKEE, Calif. — A longtime iconic Truckee/Tahoe winter gear shop is hanging up its skis for good.

After more than 50 years in business, Porters Sports Lake Tahoe is closing once it sells the remaining merchandise at its Truckee location at the Crossroads Shopping Center on Deerfield

Your info. PROVES that America is DEAD when it comes to manufacturing...

...a generation lost to globalism.. :'(

In 50 years these bloody bastards have changed the world...and I have seen this occur in my lifetime..it is all real...the NWO wants you and I DEAD.

Offline BlackRoses

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 07:46:58 pm »
Americans live in a throw away society: and only want New Toys that last, only, for a moment: sad: but true!

Old sayin': 'If it is not broke: Do not try and fix it.'

Okay, I'm not talking about the people that run down to the stores and buy the latest ipad or iphone that comes out. I'm talking about the people that want quality stuff. People pay so much money for crap that barely lasts a few years and that's if it's any good to begin with. Doesn't matter if we're talking a little item or a big item.

I realize this is small potatoes but I have a vcr* and it's at least 20 years old. It doesn't work perfectly anymore...sometimes it'll eat tapes, a few buttons on the remote don't want to work. But the fact it at least lasted about 15 years says something to me. I've had other vcrs that didn't even last the 5 year mark. I realize that's how it is, all by design. "Well, come on out and get a new item for whatever you need replacing. Use it for a few years and come back out and get another one." It's quality for me. That's what I care about. I'd rather have things that last me a long, long, long time instead of having a bunch of piles of *hit products around me.

*lol, yeah, I'm talking about vcrs. Sometimes I think I'm still mentally in 1986 or something. :D

It saddens me because it is all being done by design.

When the façade comes crumbling down, people jumping out of windows due the 1929 crash will pale into insignificance.

People better learn some skills before it does.  :(

True. I really do think some people will survive any *hitstorm that comes their way. And some people aren't. They'll be the ones flipping out, trying to break into other people's houses, hurt or kill other people to get any necessity items they need. And some people really are going to end things because they feel death is better than this,  ya know?

Offline iamc2

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 11:48:00 am »
Okay, I'm not talking about the people that run down to the stores and buy the latest ipad or iphone that comes out. I'm talking about the people that want quality stuff. People pay so much money for crap that barely lasts a few years and that's if it's any good to begin with. Doesn't matter if we're talking a little item or a big item.

I realize this is small potatoes but I have a vcr* and it's at least 20 years old. It doesn't work perfectly anymore...sometimes it'll eat tapes, a few buttons on the remote don't want to work. But the fact it at least lasted about 15 years says something to me. I've had other vcrs that didn't even last the 5 year mark. I realize that's how it is, all by design. "Well, come on out and get a new item for whatever you need replacing. Use it for a few years and come back out and get another one." It's quality for me. That's what I care about. I'd rather have things that last me a long, long, long time instead of having a bunch of piles of *hit products around me.

*lol, yeah, I'm talking about vcrs. Sometimes I think I'm still mentally in 1986 or something. :D

True. I really do think some people will survive any *hitstorm that comes their way. And some people aren't. They'll be the ones flipping out, trying to break into other people's houses, hurt or kill other people to get any necessity items they need. And some people really are going to end things because they feel death is better than this,  ya know?
You have stated a long lost truth my friend; and that is: 'WE Can Survive with Time Tested Ways' and We as The People have the Skills to Survive... ;)

Offline Geniocrat

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 03:14:00 pm »
I never would have believed it either.   Americans would rather go into the poor house rather than vote 3rd party or secede.

Chuck Baldwin back in 2008 was campaigning to put a stop to all of this and only the infowarriors listened.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 03:44:32 pm »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-31/wtf-going-real-disposable-income-plummets-most-40-years
Real Disposable Income Plummets Most In 40 Years
Tyler Durden's pictureSubmitted by Tyler Durden on 01/31/2014 09:11 -0500

We may not know much about "Keynesian economics" (and neither does anyone else: they just plug and pray, literally), but we know one thing: when real disposable personal income drops by 0.2% from a month earlier, and plummets by 2.7% from a year ago,  the biggest collapse since the semi-depression in 1974, something is wrong with the US consumer

[ Notice this chart shows 1974-75 and how it compares with today...  Which is more as to why malls are dying - You don't buy what you can't buy. ]

Offline Geniocrat

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 04:03:18 pm »
That is the big problem in general adults have a bare minimal functioning understanding of economics much less banking.

The kicker is that the films are online for all to see.

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 04:59:35 pm »
The Death & Decay

This is yet another symptom of decay.  Decay of our culture and society is the result of what is called divide & conquer.  Divide & conquer is a ploy being used against America, that works.  There are many examples to be seen of divide & conquer's success.

Just by observing, one can see a dying, failing culture and society in many ways.  Lack of values, rampant corruption, destruction of the family unit, the death of major store chains are out-in-the-open symptoms we all easily see.

What else is there to do?

Say you are a ~weaker~ order and you need what others have because you cannot produce yourself.  Or, maybe you simply want what others have.  And/or maybe you want lord over  out of an ego problem in proving you have the better genetics.

A weaker smaller peoples use a ploy to loot and plunder their chosen enemy.  This ploy is that the targeted enemy is slotted to destroy itself.  It is pretty smart if it can be pulled off.  No wonder the enemy is viewed as cattle when they fall for the machinations.   So, for the enemy to destroy itself,  divide & conquer operations are deployed.

What Ploy & Operations?

There are so many fronts to the divide & conquer operations.  It is overwhelming to even think about any one of them, let alone all.  The call went out a long time ago to pick an area of interest and work to set it right.  Many use the enemy's tactic of infiltration, then they whistleblow.  Divide & Conquer attack operations include:

Propaganda "We are your friends"
Snitch System:  Snitch on each other and destroy those around you
Snitch System:  Laws require doctors, lawyers, landord, store clerk etc. to Snitch
Disarmament:  No right to bear arms, disarm your enemy
No Free Speech
No Freedom of Religion
No Right to a Speedy Trial
Taxation without Representation
Isolation of Citizens: No gathering & talking.  Watch TV.  Don't trust your neighbor.
The Family Destruction through Child Protective Services (which circumvents the law)
Economics:  Obamacare
Economics:  Illegal Immigration
Economics:  Fraudulent Mortgage Scam resulting in millions losing their homes
Lack of Transparency:  FOIA (government's seedy ~compliances~)
Lack of Transparency:  9/11 and President John F. Kennedy
Corrupt Judges
Corrupt Police
Corrupt Business Operations & Scams
Corrupt Educational Systems: Universities and Schools
Corrupt Educational Systems:  Attack on homeschooling
Mass Water Poisoning (fluoride)
Mass Poisoning through Vaccines (sterilization of youth)
Big Pharma Operations
Banksters Operations (end the fed)
Open Lying & Corrupt Operations by Leaders:   Meant to Demoralize their enemy
Subversion of Youth through Satanic Values:  Results in destruction from within
Subversion of Youth through Violence in Media:  Movies, what is cool, video games
Subversion of Youth through anti-values:  Thug culture, dishonesty, lack of respect

Please add to the list.
Please pick a front and work to correct it through peaceful means.

Offline chris jones

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 05:08:48 pm »
This nations populace mindset is shredded.
 Truth addicts get the picture, then there are the majority they may not have all the facts but understand were in trouble though have no idea what to do-about given up, disqusted, feel hopless, fearfull etc..
 The remainder live in a impenetrable bubble.

That leaves only the powermongering, rat bastard parasites suking this nations blood.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 11:25:31 am »
http://sharon.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/staples-closing-more-than-200-stores-nationwide
Staples Closing More Than 200 Stores Nationwide

Move comes as retailer continues to cut costs, reinvent itself.
Posted by  Liz Taurasi  (Editor) , March 06, 2014

As the office supply retailer continues to reinvent itself, Staples has announced it’s closing 225 stores by the end of 2014.

The Framingham, MA-based retailer says it’s aggressively cutting costs to become more efficient as nearly half of the company’s sales are now generated online.
Staples as 2,200 stores worldwide with 1,500 locations in the United States. The store closings will impact Staples locations in the United States.

The plan is expected to help the company save approximately $500 million by 2015.

| - - - -

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/plunging-mall-traffic-is-killing-some-restaurants-and-stores/
Plunging mall traffic is killing some restaurants and stores
Kim Peterson/MoneyWatch/March 6, 2014,

Shopping malls are slowly turning into ghost towns, and that's taking a toll on the stores and restaurants inside of them.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the mall food court. Several fast-food chains that were once a primary source of sustenance for bored teens are crumbling, unable to stay in business as shoppers spend their money elsewhere.

The latest victim is Sbarro, the pizza and pasta chain that was a staple at mall food courts. The company could file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection as early as next week, The Wall Street Journal reported late Wednesday, citing sources familiar with the matter.

Also struggling is Hot Dog on a Stick, an employee-owned chain with locations primarily in the West and Midwest, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last month. The company says that expensive mall leases were the main reason its business is failing, according to news reports.
Onetime teen darling Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF) has also struggled, and expects to close 60 to 70 U.S. stores this year. RadioShack (RSH) is closing up to 1,100 stores this year.
"The problem is when people come to that mall, they think about what it used to be," one former store owner told The Tennessean.
"And when they walk around and see the empty spaces, there's no reason for them to come back."

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 11:43:39 am »
There was a nice, large mall, the first one in town.  Great parking.  Great location.   It was remodeled two times, most lovely and functioning.   I am sure there were bathrooms in every store spot.

Out the window everything went.  Instead of a place to let homeless live.. families thrown out on the street... it was razed instead.

Now there is a huge empty, asphalt-paved lot with weeds growing up through the cracks and a delapidated cyclone fence eyesore right in the main streets corner of town.

Plenty of seagulls.  They live there now.

The perfectly-functioning gorgeous all marble courthouse?  They want to raze that too.   At the same time,  public areas, more and more, seem to sport a new "sculpture" obviously satanic in design and nature.  No, they don't look good.  They are well-kept and given prominence in location with lots of space around them.

The regular parks with swings for the kids look like delapidated inner city dumps.  People don't go there with their kids.

Public toilets sure have taken a turn.  Immigrants who were never indoctrinated into American society run 7-11's and the like.  They don't use a toilet to do #2.  (I honestly don't know about #1)  Instead, it is in piles on the floor all around the toilet.  I came out so pissed, and they begged me to please not tell anyone and said they would clean it up right away.  Obviously, it had been addressed before.  This is right in a main street in town.

Public facilities in general all over America are places I don't want to touch.  Nothing is clean anymore and it smells.  I'll take the clean dirt out in the back 40 anytime compared to what has become the norm.

The sad thing is, there are generations now, who know no differently and do accept it as the norm.

And sorry, there never used to be tagging and graffiti everywhere.  Destruction and making an eyesore of gorgeous brick buildings where it is nearly impossible to remove.  It took illegal immigration to bring that to town.  To the tune of 3000-5000 per month for over a year, flooding in.

Offline iamc2

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 11:59:58 am »
There was a nice, large mall, the first one in town.  Great parking.  Great location.   It was remodeled two times, most lovely and functioning.   I am sure there were bathrooms in every store spot.

Out the window everything went.  Instead of a place to let homeless live.. families thrown out on the street... it was razed instead.

Now there is a huge empty, asphalt-paved lot with weeds growing up through the cracks and a delapidated cyclone fence eyesore right in the main streets corner of town.

Plenty of seagulls.  They live there now.

The perfectly-functioning gorgeous all marble courthouse?  They want to raze that too.   At the same time,  public areas, more and more, seem to sport a new "sculpture" obviously satanic in design and nature.  No, they don't look good.  They are well-kept and given prominence in location with lots of space around them.

The regular parks with swings for the kids look like delapidated inner city dumps.  People don't go there with their kids.

Public toilets sure have taken a turn.  Immigrants who were never indoctrinated into American society run 7-11's and the like.  They don't use a toilet to do #2.  (I honestly don't know about #1)  Instead, it is in piles on the floor all around the toilet.  I came out so pissed, and they begged me to please not tell anyone and said they would clean it up right away.  Obviously, it had been addressed before.  This is right in a main street in town.

Public facilities in general all over America are places I don't want to touch.  Nothing is clean anymore and it smells.  I'll take the clean dirt out in the back 40 anytime compared to what has become the norm.

The sad thing is, there are generations now, who know no differently and do accept it as the norm.

And sorry, there never used to be tagging and graffiti everywhere.  Destruction and making an eyesore of gorgeous brick buildings where it is nearly impossible to remove.  It took illegal immigration to bring that to town.  To the tune of 3000-5000 per month for over a year, flooding in.

I have seen this same thing here in Western New York: and these 'Strip Malls' are Empty and Decaying. America is Rotting to the core.. :-[

Our whole world is spinning out of control and those in control of this spin are having the time of their lives.

Nazis' love chaos  wherever it is...and at this point this infection is global... :'(...and GOD is crying !

Offline Bitz

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 01:56:37 am »

Staples to close up to 225 stores

Staples Inc., the big office supply retailer trying to reinvent itself in the face of intense Internet competition, plans to close up to 225 stores and slash $500 million in annual costs by the end of next year.

The Framingham company has closed about 40 locations and shrunk the size of another 40 superstores in the past year. The more aggressive plans detailed Thursday follow disappointing sales results for the Christmas period and forecasts for more business declines.

“Now I want to make it clear that we’re not getting out of the retail business,” Staples chief executive Ron Sargent said in a call with analysts. “That said, stores have to earn the right to stay open, and we are committed to making tough calls when it’s necessary.”

The planned cuts will reduce the number of Staples stores in North America by about 12 percent. There are 75 Staples stores in Massachusetts. It was unclear how many could be affected by the new plan.

Staples first revealed plans to radically reshape its business in 2012, reacting to heightened competition and a diminishing demand for such core products as paper, ink, and toner in the digital age. The company unveiled a multiyear plan to reduce its retail footprint and emphasize online and mobile sales.

Staples intended to close some stores and shrink others while retaining most of the business conducted at those locations with more robust online sales of its own. But the retail world was changing faster than Staples itself and the company failed to keep pace with steep declines in sales and customer traffic in stores.

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
  • 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.911truth.org
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 03:24:07 am »
Doesn't this make one wonder why so many "conservatives" and right-leaning "libertarians" are infatuated with the idea of taxing sales even more than we do already?

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=254684.0
"Abolish all taxation save that upon land values." -- Henry George

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

http://schalkenbach.org
http://www.monetary.org
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=203330.0

EvadingGrid

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 01:05:25 pm »
Doesn't this make one wonder why so many "conservatives" and right-leaning "libertarians" are infatuated with the idea of taxing sales even more than we do already?

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=254684.0

Your joking surely ?

Increase taxes ?

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
  • 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.911truth.org
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 02:08:44 pm »
Your joking surely ?

Increase taxes ?

On sales, yes.  "And don't call me 'surely.'"   ;)

To be more specific, at the moment there's no national sales tax in the U.S. So if there's an explanation as to why the institution of such a tax would not constitute a net "increase" in the overall tax burden on "sales," I've yet to hear one.
"Abolish all taxation save that upon land values." -- Henry George

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

http://schalkenbach.org
http://www.monetary.org
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=203330.0

Offline Waltraut

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 07:30:21 pm »
yeah - I've always been a Sears, Penneys clothes shopper. Sears has been bothering me lately with their insistent info tracking requests. At the cash register after offering you a credit card, the Sears clerk insistently asks for your email address and home address. I give them a fake address each time, and then as they type in the data they have responded "oh, we don't have a record for you yet... I'll have to start a new profile for you". It's like... cut it out and just take my money please

Offline Waltraut

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 07:40:47 pm »
on the mall topic - Seattle has a lot of complaints of sharply rising rents and prices near where amazon.com has their offices north of downtown. Amazon is what is displacing a lot of shopping.

My parents have been living by a closed steel mill and a dead mall called Totem Lake - which has been nearly empty for years due to a mixture of business going to outlying strip malls with more self-standing stores, and bad management. The newspaper recently announced that google wants the city to set up special transit options or a train ending at this mall and that made me realize that tech companies have their eyes on it as a new facility. I hope this area doesn't become like Silicon valley or something.

Offline Bitz

Walgreens closing 76 stores by August 2014
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 12:56:24 am »

Illinois-based Walgreen Co. plans to close 76 unprofitable stores by August 2014.

The closures affect less than one percent of all Walgreen’s locations in the U.S. according to Walgreen Chief Executive Greg Wasson, who announced the closings during a Tuesday, March 25 discussion of the company’s second-quarter 2014 financial results.

Walgreens also planned to open new stores in 2014, resulting in a net increase of 55 to 75 locations. Walgreens operates more than 8,600 drugstores.

The company did not specify which stores would close. Most of the closings were planned for locations where real estate values have declined dramatically or where another Walgreens store opened nearby.

Employees affected by the closings will be reassigned according to Wasson.

Walgreen Co. is based in Deerfield.

http://wqad.com/2014/03/25/walgreens-closing-76-stores/

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 02:44:45 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIdGxR-aU6o
http://cdn.theatlanticcities.com/img/upload/2012/01/23/BluesBrothers.main/largest.png

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-dying-breed-the-american-shopping-mall/
Today, malls across the U.S. are dying.
No new enclosed mall has been built since 2006,

and Lewis predicts fully half of all our malls will close in the next 10 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316114/The-story-25m-shopping-mall-trashed-Blues-Brothers-epic-police-chase-just-torn-30-years.html
The untold story of the $25m shopping mall trashed in Blues Brothers epic police chase that was only just torn down after 30 years
Dixie Square Mall, one of the first of many more to come in suburban America, began as a bustling center of commerce but went bust after only 13 years
The 800,000 square foot shopping mall sat festering for 30 years as a hot bed of gang activity outside Chicago

By Joshua Gardner

Published: 10:32 EST, 28 April 2013  | Updated: 14:34 EST, 28 April 2013

Failed: Built in 1966 and closed after only 13 years, Harvey, Illinois's Dixie Square Mall became memorable for good reasons and bad

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316114/The-story-25m-shopping-mall-trashed-Blues-Brothers-epic-police-chase-just-torn-30-years.html#ixzz4DGawhsvI
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Geniocrat

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 03:17:44 pm »

http://www.constitutionparty.com  The Official Website

Constitution Party Promotional Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_SobkISNrY

Well America we do have options if you ever want to end this FED induced DEPRESSION !!!!

Offline Bitz

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 12:38:58 pm »

Family Dollar to Close 370 Stores, Cut Jobs

Family Dollar Stores Inc. (FDO), facing an increase in retail competition, is closing about 370 stores and conducting a review to improve its business.

The closings, about 4.6 percent of the company’s 8,100 locations, will generate as much as $45 million in annual cost savings beginning in the fiscal third quarter, the Matthews, North Carolina-based company said today in a statement. The review includes cutting an unspecified number of jobs, lowering prices on about 1,000 items and slowing new store growth.

Family Dollar, whose largest shareholder is billionaire hedge-fund manager John Paulson, is contending with more competition from rival discount chains and big-box retailers such as Target Corp. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Revenue at Family Dollar is projected to rise 1.7 percent this fiscal year, according to the average of analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg, after gaining 11 percent last year.

The company will book a restructuring charge in the second half of this fiscal year of $85 million to $95 million related to the job cuts and store closings, according to the statement.

Chief Executive Officer Howard Levine said fiscal second-quarter results “did not meet our expectations,” as the company faced more competition and a more cash-strapped customer. Sales fell 6.1 percent to $2.72 billion in the quarter ended March 1.

The shares fell 3.2 percent to $57.17 at the close in New York. They have lost 12 percent this year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-10/family-dollar-to-close-370-stores-cut-jobs.html