Author Topic: Magnetic Engine running on the repelling force of magnets  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Kainchild

Magnetic Engine running on the repelling force of magnets
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:35:31 am »
BTW: an error occurred while posting this so I apologize if this is a double post

Don't know if this thing even works but it was an idea I had a while back when I was fiddling with inventing:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/linkzelda/Image2.jpg

The green boxes in the picture are clamps holding rare earth magnets (I preferred to use rectangle magnets 1 length by 3/4 height by 3/4 width.

The premise of the engine is the magnet attached to the grey colored part is held in place forcing the magnet on the arm attached to the middle bar in yellow to turn. the middle bar is connected to a large gear (the translucent circle on top) which is then connected to a smaller gear. this smaller gear is connected via a bar to another gear of the same size.

This gear then connects to a rack with gear teeth that is part of the side of a piece that is interconnected to a part that has a spring built inside.

The small gear connected to the rack will have missing teeth. This will allow one magnet to be held up and in place while allowing the next magnet in the next grey colored piece to go down and out of the way as the magnet on the arm is pushed forward and pass it. Once the clamp is pass the second clamp on the grey piece, the space on the small gear will allow the second clamp to pop up in position behind it.

The spring was suppose to be a unique (double conical compression spring?) (Unfortunately I can't remember the actual name of the spring, but it's the one spring that allowed the pressure to remain the same no matter how much it was compressed with)

Now here are various measurements I made while experimenting with a set of magnets that are the size I described in the beginning. Bare in mind I made a random guess as to how much the second clamp has to move out of the way of the clamp on the arm. The inch on the top of the picture represents the space between the clamps on the grey pieces. The first box on top is the first clamp on the grey piece being held in place by the spring. The second box is the clamp on the arm. The third box is the next clamp on the grey piece that is being pushed down and out of the clamp on the arm. The vertical thick black line represents the spring inside the grey piece. Here's a movie link to what I am talking about:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkpyya_final-version-xvid_tech#.USXnZmcl6Ik

The magnet I used weigh .25 oz. At 3/4 an inch away from each other, the magnets were applying 2 1/8oz pressure. At a distance of 1 inch, they were only applying 1 oz of pressure. When the magnet is not aligned with the other magnet, then pressure at 3/4 inch applied to the second magnet dropped to 1.75 oz pressure. The spring will have to be strong enough to lift the .25 oz magnet while fighting against the combine effort of the magnet and friction of the device. Bare in mind the pressure is lessened due to the fact that the magnet is not in-line with the other magnet as it rises up.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/linkzelda/pressure.jpg

Offline Kainchild

Re: Magnetic Engine running on the repelling force of magnets
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 05:58:19 pm »
BTW this is a picture of the magnet needed for this project (note the poles at the end):

Offline Kainchild

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:01:04 pm »
Also forgot to note, if you hadn't already figured it out, the magnets would be positioned on the clamps with the longer side exposed to each other and not the poles.

Offline Kainchild

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:34:24 pm »
Forgot to ask, if anyone does in fact try and put this thing together, think you could post it here? Thanks.