Author Topic: "Alcohol can be a Gas" by David Blume  (Read 32815 times)

Offline iskdude57

"Alcohol can be a Gas" by David Blume
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:57:39 am »
I am very surprised no one has talked about this yet.  Nor that Alex hasn't talked about this either.  IMO The single MOST important thing to do in order to beat the NWO is to become SELF-SUFFICIENT.  Alcohol is the perfect fuel, EVERYONE on here should read this book.  It's excellent for generators can be used in diesel engines with some minor additives, it can be used for stoves and if your engine is calibrated correctly can get better gas mileage than your current car.  It's sustainable, with improved agricultural practices with the use of more permaculture practices in mind along with mariculture (marine agriculture) we could easily supply all of our energy needs and then some.  Nevermind hydro-dams, wind, solar, tide energies could be used as well...  It's safer, It's cleaner, It's better for your engine, it doesn't emit dangerous fumes... IMO the single best book on alternative energy and sustainability that's not controversial and that's already proven.  In fact Brazil has already proven this and is energy independent. 
Oil is the primary means of controlling us IMO, money is worthless paper that us users give an inherent, abstract value but oil is actually energy that does work and as long as they control that and we are dependent upon them they pretty much control us. 

Offline iskdude57

Re: "Alcohol can be a Gas" by David Blume
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:04:07 am »
I'd just like to add, NO ONE is gonna do this for you!!!!  NO ONE is gonna SAVE YOU!!!!  SOME POLITICIANS MAY HELP A LITTLE BIT IF YOU EVEN MANAGE TO GET THEM ELECTED!!!!  IF YOU WANT TO DO THIS YOU GOTTA DO IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!  PUT YOUR OWN MONEY AND EFFORTS AND TIME INTO THIS!!!!!  BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THIS WORLD!!!!!  We need to start our own coops, and support this...  Buy E-85 anytime you can I already put E-85 in half my tank in my civic it works fine but mileage gets killed a little bit but e-85 is also cheaper...

Let me know what you guys think especially if you're already familiar with this topic...

Offline Lannister

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:04:25 am »
This thread would be more useful with links to information on the subject being supplied.

Just sayin.....

Offline resist.tyranny

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:52:06 am »
If you want a link, try this one:  http://www.permaculture.com/

Remember, Google or Start Page is your friend.  Do your own research.

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger which is E-85 enabled.  I use that whenever I can.  Mileage is worse, but that's OK.  E-85 is cheaper, so it balances out in the end.  I just need to fill up sooner than normal. 

I'd rather give the money to some American corn farmers instead of some oil fat cat.  Although I'm sure they're getting their cut somehow.

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:17 am »
Well, I guess I should've made it clear that I was talking about a book as titled in the thread by the author David Blume.  His website is alcoholcanbeagas.com or permaculture.com  They are the same exact website...  You can check out the reviews on amazon.com  it's a little cheaper for hardcover on amazon but if you buy it directly from his website he'll include a dvd...  I'm just saying people need to read this book, and we need to experiment more, his book is a MUST-HAVE IMO.  There's lots of information in it and it is very large at 550 some pages.  His website also has various interviews mainly on coast to coast am. 

There's online communities and forums for diy auto mechanic types where people make their own contraptions for various uses to modify their cars to run better on alcohol.  If you have knowledge of electronics and programming you can even hack into your own computer ecu to calibrate your car's engine performance to meet that of alcohol's chemical and physical properties moreso. 

I haven't looked deeply into this yet, I'm just trying to spread the word.  If I had more money and time I would've turned both my cars onto alcohol already.  Plus I live in suburbia America and I want my car to run on 100% alcohol not e-85!!!  E-85 is contaminated with gasoline and that can mess up alcohol's characteristics that make it more potent than gasoline.  That said, I don't even know what my local laws are because I haven't looked them up since you need a distillery to make your own alcohol.  But I'm willing to bet that a distillery would be illegal around these parts.  I would just purchase the stuff but I wouldn't really know where to find it.  I've looked up some chemical plants around the area and while they do sell it it's mainly for lab purposes, thus very pure and super expensive.  However, there are some ethanol plants in my state so I could call them up and see if they'd sell it to me wholesale I dunno if they would or not...  Most important is that as many people need to learn about this as possible and as soon as possible because this can free us from being enslaved, not only us but possibly the rest of the world as well.

Offline HeismaN

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:06:45 pm »

Offline resist.tyranny

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 12:33:36 pm »
If your car can run E-85, you can run 100% ethanol (E-100).  The reason they temper it with gas is so you won't drink it or sell it to others to drink.  I looked a bit into it, and as a small alcohol producer (I think the cutoff is 50,000 gallons a year), you have to have BATF come out for inspections, and you need to keep a detailed log of exactly what you produce, and you are mandated to mix it with regular gasoline immediately after manufacture so it can't be drunk or "stolen" and then be used as moonshine.  

Go on the BATF website and look for information about small fuel producers.  They have all the regulations there. 

Also, he's on Coast to Coast AM often, so check them out.  You can probably call in and ask some questions if the book doesn't answer it.

If you feel real lucky, setup your still and don't tell anyone.  Don't be suprised if you get swat-teamed though.

Well, I guess I should've made it clear that I was talking about a book as titled in the thread by the author David Blume.  His website is alcoholcanbeagas.com or permaculture.com  They are the same exact website...  You can check out the reviews on amazon.com  it's a little cheaper for hardcover on amazon but if you buy it directly from his website he'll include a dvd...  I'm just saying people need to read this book, and we need to experiment more, his book is a MUST-HAVE IMO.  There's lots of information in it and it is very large at 550 some pages.  His website also has various interviews mainly on coast to coast am.  

There's online communities and forums for diy auto mechanic types where people make their own contraptions for various uses to modify their cars to run better on alcohol.  If you have knowledge of electronics and programming you can even hack into your own computer ecu to calibrate your car's engine performance to meet that of alcohol's chemical and physical properties moreso.  

I haven't looked deeply into this yet, I'm just trying to spread the word.  If I had more money and time I would've turned both my cars onto alcohol already.  Plus I live in suburbia America and I want my car to run on 100% alcohol not e-85!!!  E-85 is contaminated with gasoline and that can mess up alcohol's characteristics that make it more potent than gasoline.  That said, I don't even know what my local laws are because I haven't looked them up since you need a distillery to make your own alcohol.  But I'm willing to bet that a distillery would be illegal around these parts.  I would just purchase the stuff but I wouldn't really know where to find it.  I've looked up some chemical plants around the area and while they do sell it it's mainly for lab purposes, thus very pure and super expensive.  However, there are some ethanol plants in my state so I could call them up and see if they'd sell it to me wholesale I dunno if they would or not...  Most important is that as many people need to learn about this as possible and as soon as possible because this can free us from being enslaved, not only us but possibly the rest of the world as well.

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 04:24:25 pm »
I'd like to add to the thread a major advantage of alcohol over gasoline.  Well the major dis-advantage of gasoline is that gasoline is actually a combination of various but similar chemicals called hydrocarbons.  Basically just carbon chains with hydrogen bonds around them.  Ethanol Alcohol or drinking alcohol has two carbon atoms and an Oxygen attached at the end.  The Oxygen has a hydrogen atom connected to it and act more like one 'unit' this -OH bond is what makes a substance an alcohol as there are various different types of alcohols.  Methanol, Ethanol, Butanol, Octanol, etc etc.  The most natural alcohol and the alcohol we are talking about is ETHANOL, CH3-CH2-OH.  The one we drink and that comes from baking yeast or scientifically named, Saccharomyces cerevisiae which can be found on the outside skin of grapes and probably other fruits...

Now inside your combustion chamber it turns out to be the case that not all of your gasoline explodes, much of it is used up as heat or just burns up making it very inefficient.  Alcohol is already more efficient given that you have an engine more calibrated for it.  The main problem with our cars is the oxygen sensor.  Because alcohol has an oxygen atom already attached, your oxygen sensor senses this and thinks there is too much air coming in from the intake and so tells your ecu to put more fuel going into your combustion chamber than is ideal. 

Anyways, author David Blume says in his book that Gasoline is ATOMIZED into your combustion chamber.  Which means it's sprayed into your chamber much like a hand held mister.  The advantage of alcohol is that it is only one substance when pure.  And thus can be used in a vaporized combustion engine.  When the fuel is vaporized the burn or explosion is much more complete and efficient.  Used in a HCCI engine or Homogenous Charged Compression Ignition Engine, David Blume claims in his book that vaporized alcohol can get up to 80 MPG or better.  One cannot vaporize gasoline due to it being a mixture of different substances and additives with different physical and chemical characteristics and thus different boiling points etc...

HCCI engines already can get 15 percent better fuel efficiency on gasoline and work much like a diesel engine but with less emissions due to smaller compression ratios.  I can only imagine what a vaporized alcohol HCCI engine mileage would get due to alcohol's higher octane value and gaseous form.  But of course no research has been done on this.  Even though HCCI engines aren't anything new and neither is alcohol as a fuel... 

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 09:38:08 pm »
cool 1500 hits in 10 days hopefully that number will keep on going up, exponentially I hope!  ;D  Read the book and spread the word all of you!  Seriously this is the answer if there ever was a single answer to all this madness...  We don't need welfare, money, or any of that junk.  We can create our own energy and enterprise our own solutions in our own economy with our own money if we have to.  Let's get off of the grid people, we could also build our own sustainable homes...

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:42:42 am »
 This is an alcohol stove made from a can in which you can use ethanol, and other alcohol fuel types as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrGofPAb0wI

Offline RabidSheep

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 07:55:27 am »
A  sterno. Really. A can filled with flammable liquid invented in 1918.  Great,  one bottle of everclear. Check. One old rusty can. Check.  Few cotton swabs. Check. So David Blume teaches what I learned in grade school chemistry and boy scouts? David Blume is nothing more than an old hippie with old ideas. Prove me wrong. I have a 6 cylinder gas engine. My Avg mpg is 14 and I drive 100 miles a day. How much alcohol would I use in a week? How much would I need to make? What equipment do I need to make alcohol fuel? Where do I dispose of the waste from making the alcohol fuel? Got answers?

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 10:07:51 am »
A  sterno. Really. A can filled with flammable liquid invented in 1918.  Great,  one bottle of everclear. Check. One old rusty can. Check.  Few cotton swabs. Check. So David Blume teaches what I learned in grade school chemistry and boy scouts? David Blume is nothing more than an old hippie with old ideas. Prove me wrong. I have a 6 cylinder gas engine. My Avg mpg is 14 and I drive 100 miles a day. How much alcohol would I use in a week? How much would I need to make? What equipment do I need to make alcohol fuel? Where do I dispose of the waste from making the alcohol fuel? Got answers?

Wow the negativity and name-calling.  Seriously though the world WOULD IN FACT be better off if there were more hippies than right-wingers who've dominated the American political scene traditionally.  That is to say, more of your stereotypical liberals are better people than your stereotypical republicans and your stereotypical liberal isn't necessarily a hippy.  Libertarianism which is what this country is founded on resides more on the left than it does on the right.  But that's another topic for another thread...
The fact that you actually learned this in grade school is highly unlikely, I'm not saying you didn't, although you probably did learn it in boy scouts.  It just goes to show how crappy the educational system is.  And that is pretty much the point of a forum is it not? to educate, discuss, and debate?  There's lots of things that have been discovered 100 years ago that have been hidden or suppressed.  That's the literal meaning of Illuminati, to be enlightened, it means you have esoteric knowledge that others don't for whatever reason and that makes you/them more enlightened and thus better than those who aren't... 

Not everyone knows about survival but people have been doing it for thousands of years so what's your point? 

All of your answers are in the book, you'd need to enterprise your own solutions for the time being unless you have access to e-85, if you buy e-85 instead of gas, more of your money is actually going to fund these solutions so they can operate on a larger and larger scale.  Voting with your dollar is always, and probably will be the most effective way to get shit done, at least in my opinion.  However there is still a significant difference between e-85 and e-98 (basically  the same as e-100).

If you want to make alcohol yourself you'd have to have your own distillery, your own source of carbohydrates, you'd have to convert your vehicle to run on alcohol and you'd have to have a fence in your backyard and follow the requirements set by the ATF regulators If you want better gas mileage why are you driving a 6 cylinder to start with anyways?  As David Blume explains it in his book, gasoline has more overall energy potential but not as much "work" potential.  Or gasoline wastes most of it's energy on heat, and alcohol having a high octane can be compressed further to get out more of it's energy for actual work.  But our cars' engines are designed from the ground up to run on gasoline and so have smaller compressions ratios as well as other factors like the ecu settings. 

Also you can't use ANY combustible liquid in a stove, gasoline burns right up really fast.  Alcohol on the other hand burns very, very, slowly in a nice, cool, controllable burn.  Nevermind the toxic fumes that would come from gasoline itself and the combustion products and the leftover black carbon crude that gasoline leaves as it's ash.  Shit, have you ever tried carrying around gasoline in a red 5-gallon gas tank in your car trunk? Stinks up your whole car really quick, not to mention breathing that stuff in while your driving, gives me a headache.  Somehow I doubt that's good for you...  See, you can hardly even store gasoline, much less carry it around in your car.  Pure alcohol wouldn't do that just go to a bar and see how "dangerous" the fumes are. 

Offline Effie Trinket

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:31:31 am »
Nevermind the toxic fumes that would come from gasoline itself and the combustion products and the leftover black carbon crude that gasoline leaves as it's ash.
Burning ethanol alcohol emits toxins that are MORE dangerous to human health than burning pure gasoline.  But you won't ever hear the EPA, or the Nazi world government architect f*cks at the Aspen Institute admit that.  What toxins am I talking about?  Acetaldehyde and Formaldehyde emissions.  Real poisons, not like the non-poison of carbon dioxide that plants breathe.  I know that gas creates more than just CO2 when it burns but that's besides the point.  The so-called "environmentalists" who are pro-Ethanol are hypocritical f*cks because, the facilities that make ethanol (which gets put in our gas- and lowers gas mileage btw), waste millions of gallons of water per day, while they simultaneously put out propaganda that Americans are evil sons of bitches for taking showers that are too long, or not turning the water off when brushing our teeth.

Also BRB justifying and helping criminal corporations like Monsanto to flourish by giving them a fraudulently created market for them to sell their poisonous GMO crops to for biofuel bullsh*t.

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:42:12 pm »
Burning ethanol alcohol emits toxins that are MORE dangerous to human health than burning pure gasoline.  But you won't ever hear the EPA, or the Nazi world government architect f*cks at the Aspen Institute admit that.  What toxins am I talking about?  Acetaldehyde and Formaldehyde emissions.  Real poisons, not like the non-poison of carbon dioxide that plants breathe.  I know that gas creates more than just CO2 when it burns but that's besides the point.  The so-called "environmentalists" who are pro-Ethanol are hypocritical f*cks because, the facilities that make ethanol (which gets put in our gas- and lowers gas mileage btw), waste millions of gallons of water per day, while they simultaneously put out propaganda that Americans are evil sons of bitches for taking showers that are too long, or not turning the water off when brushing our teeth.

Burning anything will probably emit toxic fumes of some sort or another.  But the main products of combustion is carbon dioxide and water.  I doubt the gases are created in high enough amounts to be of a major concern unless your standing over the fire and breathing it in.  But if you got any links for proof I'd like to know more because I'm open minded and always learning.  I highly doubt the NWO is pro-ethanol due to the fact that ethanol is a sustainable commodity.  The overwhelming majority of our food crops don't even go for food.  Most of it is used to feed cows.  It's funny you mention this, because if you'd have read the book he addresses this issue.  Cows can't even eat carbohydrates, they eat cellulose, we could with our current less than ideal mono-crop agriculture ferment the corn or whatever and give the leftovers to the cows and the cows would even be healthier and thus produce even more milk!!!!!!  David Blume is definitely not pro-GMO, (I believe) because he is against big agribusinesses and thus anti-Monsanto.  In fact he says that big corporations have no real economic advantage, and are in fact at a disadvantage when it comes to ethanol production due to the fact that the less centralized ethanol production is the more efficient it is.  Because you'd have to waste ethanol fuel on transport...  David Blume points out in his book how we actually have lots of land, more than enough to meet our energy needs, especially with better agricultural practices and better crop choices.  I don't feel like researching the numbers right now, why don't you go read the book instead... 

BIG G as I like to call them, just wants a cut into the ethanol industry probably because they want a cut into any industry.  Look at the organic industry, I heard even wal-mart is gonna start selling organic food in their stores which is a total laugh...  This is why I said that voting with your dollars is and probably always will be the most effective way of getting shit done.  Why do you think Rothschild said, "Give me control of a nation's money supply and I care not who makes their laws"  Because above and beyond even the most brainwashed person, the love of money will even conquer them.  Thus why Jesus said the root of all evil comes from money.  In the book "Aquariums of Pyongyang: Ten Years in a North Korean Gulag" The author who escaped North Korea had monetary connections and was able to bribe brainwashed guards with dreams of fancy fridges and other nice materialistic commodities and thus was able to escape in that way. 

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »
 :)

Offline Effie Trinket

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 03:08:15 am »
I highly doubt the NWO is pro-ethanol due to the fact that ethanol is a sustainable commodity.
The entire "sutainability" agenda is the elite's agenda.  It is an interim step to ultimately lead to genociding the population by progressively rationing food and energy consumption of humans worldwide.  "Sustainability" tricks people because they believe they're "being responsible in helping to actually preserve the environment"--while the globalists seize more and more control over your life in ways that they have never had before.  There is no better way to enslave a population than by getting the population to enslave themselves willingly; out of ignorance, fear, and a fraudulent, religious fanaticsism that man made global warming ingrains into the unlearned.

The overwhelming majority of our food crops don't even go for food.  Most of it is used to feed cows.  It's funny you mention this, because if you'd have read the book he addresses this issue.  Cows can't even eat carbohydrates, they eat cellulose, we could with our current less than ideal mono-crop agriculture ferment the corn or whatever and give the leftovers to the cows and the cows would even be healthier and thus produce even more milk!!!!!! 
Cows aren't supposed to eat corn, they are supposed to eat organic, non-GMO, non-poisoned grass.  The crap most cows are fed makes them extremely toxic for human consumption (which is their agenda, because you're supposed to be soft-kill genocided).

Online JT Coyoté

• "REMEMBER THE ALAMO!"
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 04:43:11 am »
Corn is a grass... as is wheat, rice, barley, rye, and bamboo... cows eat them all just fine... Now green alfalfa, which is not a grass... well, that makes the cow rather explosive...

JTCoyoté

"If your actions inspire others to
dream more, learn more, do more
and become more, you are a leader."

~John Adams

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 05:48:41 am »
Now green alfalfa, which is not a grass... well, that makes the cow rather explosive...

Shhh... someone will want to put carbon meters on cow's butts.
Al Gore is probably investing in them now!
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 07:43:20 am »
The entire "sutainability" agenda is the elite's agenda.

No, not the ENTIRE SUSTAINABILITY MOVEMENT is the elite's agenda.  Why would they do that?  Our society is based on a fragile infrastructure of dependency.  The truth is they are trying to hijack the sustainability movement.  You really ought to read the book if you didn't already...  It's just like the Organic food market, which Wal-Mart is now even getting into which is like a total joke...  Why do you think they'll outlaw backyard gardening once the police state arrives.  Very little research has been done on ethanol as a fuel considering that making ethanol is humanity's second oldest profession...  They want control and power, if people made their own fuel they couldn't control us except through direct military intervention.  Who cares if they control the money supply if we made our own energy?  We'd just be like go f*** off b****s.  In WWII, the government propagandized that the population have Victory Gardens, we ought to do the same today for those with the time and opportunity and land...  Because we are in a war, an INFOWAR!!!

Corn is a grass... as is wheat, rice, barley, rye, and bamboo... cows eat them all just fine...

Cow's aren't meant to eat the starches in those grasses.  They actually eat cellulose and aren't necessarily only grass eaters but also foragers...  Well at least according to what I read  :P  Makes sense to me though since they eat cellulose... Thus we can literally use the food we get now and ferment the useless starches and give the cows the cellulose and protein leftover mash which will result in healthier cows and more fuel.

Offline RabidSheep

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 05:57:09 am »
Our society is based on a fragile infrastructure of dependency.

Cow's aren't meant to eat the starches in those grasses.  They actually eat cellulose and aren't necessarily only grass eaters but also foragers...  Well at least according to what I read  :P  Makes sense to me though since they eat cellulose... Thus we can literally use the food we get now and ferment the useless starches and give the cows the cellulose and protein leftover mash which will result in healthier cows and more fuel.

I suggest reading the food safety and modernization act. Then realize where his ideas completely miss the point. Who cares about creating our own fuel from left over cellulose. The "centralized" powers passed a law basically making it illegal.

Completely irrelevant.

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 05:42:10 pm »
I suggest reading the food safety and modernization act. Then realize where his ideas completely miss the point. Who cares about creating our own fuel from left over cellulose. The "centralized" powers passed a law basically making it illegal.

Completely irrelevant.

OK, what's your point?  I never said to lay down and let the government walk all over us...  We ought to fight them in every arena they bring us in.  Legal, political, economic.  So basically you're saying that such pursuits don't matter and that we are in a fast-moving, terminal period of time in which the powers that be will basically overrun us if we don't squelch them out of power right now???  I get it, but a sustainable economy IMO is not only to our advantage but fundamental.  They may not get us legally, but then again they may.  They can also attack us economically which IS WHAT I'M TRYING TO GET AT!!!!  I'm trying to move us out under their control grid.  Liquid fuel IS THE MOST IMPORTANT SINGLE COMMODITY IN OUR CIVILIZATION!!!!  We literally need it,  Money, Gold, technology, don't matter and would be worthless if there is no food in the stores.  And who controls it, well certainly not us, because the gas prices are high enough.  The economics of supply and demand doesn't apply to oil because oil is a monopoly.  If you don't have the means to move a semi-truck because no more oil is being piped in from wherever then we are screwed don't you get it!!!!  Ethanol is something that anyone with land or water for that matter can create.  Why aren't we doing this?  It's basic common sense, it shouldn't be about economics or saving gas money, it has to be about a fundamental pillar of society so that society can progress and move on w/o worrying about oil  But as I'm sure as you've already seen, basic common sense is lacking in most people...  That's what a totalitarian state is, it's where common sense and logic is thrown out the window.

And if there's something out there better and more sustainable than ethanol like some "free-energy" device then great, bring it on...

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 07:47:46 am »
 :)

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 09:13:05 pm »
Here's an example of FUEL-VAPOR technology from regular gasoline

http://www.greentechgazette.com/index.php/hybrid-cars/fuel-vapor-technologies-ale-running-on-fumes/

http://horsepowersports.com/fuel-vapor-technology-3-wheels-180hp-92mpg/

http://www.fuelvaporcar.com/

92 mpg, and as fast as a corvette on regular gasoline...  The advantage of alcohol is that it is easier to vaporize and uniformly vaporizes at a higher octane level and thus a much higher compression.  David Blume claims upwards to 200 mpg in his book...  It's probably true, it's probably on a 1.3 liter or smaller or on a motorcycle or something like that.  Even so anything even close to 100 mpg for any car is truly amazing by our pathetic standards.  That said, alcohol probably IS more than sustainable even with a crappy yielding crop like corn on conventional alcohol given that your engine vaporizes the fuel and runs it efficiently... 

Offline iskdude57

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »
Something I seemed to have missed out on, Ethanol's Octane rating is 113.8.  But impure 98 percent Ethanol which is more economically feasible for all intents and purposes has a practical rating of 110.  David Blume quotes a compression ratio of 18:1 which is huge is the maximum safety limit of compression in a piston engine with e98 ethanol.  Your car most likely has a compression ratio of 9:1 if it's a high performance car then it need premium gasoline which has an octane rating of 91-93 and your car probably has a compression ratio of 11:1 or somewhere around there.  I've heard of e85 getting up to 16:1 not sure if it's true though, but 13:1 14:1 is easily obtainable with e85 ethanol which has an octane rating of 105.  But of course varies in winter due to the e85 turning down the ethanol content to e70 70% alcohol the octane rating would probably go down a bit also.  So the higher the compression the better the gas mileage and efficiency...