Author Topic: Smart Grid: Technology for Big Brother  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Freeski

Smart Grid: Technology for Big Brother
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:49:35 am »
Great piece from News With Views:

SMART GRID: TECHNOLOGY FOR “BIG BROTHER”
By Sarah Foster, September 14, 2011
© 2011 NewsWithViews.com
http://www.newswithviews.com/NWV-News/news273.htm

It’s not been two years since utility companies rolled out Smart Grid, the massive project to restructure the nation’s electrical system, which includes replacing existing old analogue meters on homes and businesses with ones that transmit information by radio frequency. “Smart grid delivers electricity from suppliers to consumers using two-way digital technology to control appliances at consumers’ homes to save energy, reduce costs, and increase reliability and transparency.”

But despite glowing promises of energy savings and lower rates, the project from the outset has faced opposition from a public that does not want a technology that can “control appliances” from a point outside the home, and is increasingly alarmed by the threat the meters pose to health and privacy. And that opposition is growing.

“There is a major war being waged in this country, although you'd never know it by the silence from the old, disgraced media (ABC, CBS, NBC) and all the cable ‘news’ networks,” writes columnist Devvy Kidd in a recent report for NewsWithViews. “This new assault on our bodies and privacy is over another relatively new piece of technology that allegedly will save energy … When I say millions of Americans are up in arms over this, I am not exaggerating.”

-----

"They believed that capitalism was dead and the resulting society should be micro-managed by experts like themselves."

(sends chills down my spine - as Wells said, there is only one right answer for everything)
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.