Author Topic: No death benefits for military during shutdown  (Read 2885 times)

Offline America2

• Romans 10:9-10 King James Version
No death benefits for military during shutdown
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:55:17 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110408/ap_on_re_us/us_us_shutdown_military

LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Lolita C. Baldor, Associated Press 51 mins ago
WASHINGTON In the event of a government shutdown, the Pentagon would have to delay payments of the $100,000 death benefit that families receive if a military service member dies in the line of duty, a senior defense official said Friday,

Families would get the money eventually after the government re-opens, but they could have problems paying expenses, including for the funerals, the official said, adding that the Pentagon will reach out to various military aid agencies to help those who need it.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss personnel details, said as many as 150 death benefits are paid out every month.

The death benefit is one of many Pentagon payments and services that could be curtailed if the government shuts down at midnight Friday and they range from paychecks to performances by military bands and the famed Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels air demonstration squadrons.

read more

Offline chris jones

Re: No death benefits for military during shutdown
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:12:53 pm »

But, lookey here, they do get a coffin, and flag drapped!! My humor lacks, admittedly.
Ive got to say it despite the fact I'm trying to stop ranting.
I was home on leave from Nam, still in uniform. A funeral for a fallen brother, Nam vet, was taking place.
 I removed my hat and stood still watching, this boys hatchetfaced proud mother was standing next to the coffin in the middle of the pallbearas wiggling a handheld flag over the coffin, "my son gave his life for this country"..
  I was very much awake in regards to the war, seeing this caused me to get sick, I covered my face as I relased the vomit.
   Everyt ime I hear a bout a vet funeral this image attacks me.

Offline agentbluescreen

Re: No death benefits for military during shutdown
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:55:06 pm »
Well the answer is simple, if you're not getting paid by them, don't kill yourself...

Obviously, they aren't!