Author Topic: Kroger Customer Deeply Concerned About Epsilon Security Breach  (Read 6450 times)

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
You can keep your "rewards" cards!! 

Kroger Customer Deeply Concerned About Epsilon Security Breach

Jeanne Rose Jeanne Rose – Mon Apr 4, 4:24 pm ET

COMMENTARY | The Los Angeles Times reports that Epsilon, an online marketing company that manages customer data for many major retail stores, was hacked into this past week. Some of the customer data that was compromised includes those who receive e-mails from Kroger, Best Buy, US Bank, JPMorgan Chase and Walgreens. It was reported that only customer e-mail addresses and names were hacked into.

Unfortunately, I am one of millions affected by this security breach.

I am a longtime customer of Kroger, so when I received my Kroger Savings Card over six years ago, I gave them my personal information thinking it would be kept confidential. I signed up for the Kroger e-mails because they alert me to special savings going on in my area and also alert me of promotions going on within the company.

I received an e-mail this weekend alerting me of the security breach but it assured me that only names and e-mail addresses were exposed -- I find that hard to believe. I do not see how the breach only affects names and e-mail addresses in the customer database when there is a lot of sensitive information tied to your Kroger account.

The e-mail also said that I might receive spam e-mails and not to open anything I am not familiar with, which is currently what I do anyway when it comes to protecting my computer from malware. I always get a lot of spam e-mails due to the various free samples I sign up for through websites, so honestly I doubt I would notice a few more in my spam folder each day, but it will definitely have me on high alert. I am now going to be suspicious of any e-mail that comes from Kroger because I will not be able to tell a legitimate e-mail from a spam message.

I am very concerned about this security breach with Kroger because I have given them basically all of my personal information in order to link my Kroger account so I could download coupons digitally. I know that Kroger has my name, age, phone number, Kroger Savings Card number, address, and e-mail address. This is a huge security risk because even if someone only has a name and e-mail address, there are plenty of ways they can find out who you are. Most people who sign up for an e-mail account give information such as their city or state, so someone could easily figure out where you live. I am deeply concerned that the sensitive information I gave Kroger in order to better my service with the company will lead to spam e-mails and maybe even telemarketing calls.

Continued...
Please visit my website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

Offline Valerius

Re: Kroger Customer Deeply Concerned About Epsilon Security Breach
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:38:36 am »
Kroger owns a lot of different branded grocery stores, I wonder if it includes them as well.

It's an amazing thing how dang quickly those cards penetrated into our society. Do 20-30 somethings have an appreciation for that speed generally speaking?  It's not really a technological phenomena as much as sociological.

I'm still reeling.
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline kerrymti

• The truth will set us free..and..open their eyes.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:22:36 pm »
Yeah, I got the same email from Citi (my student loan).  I have the same question, how can the breach just affect email addresses.  Plus, since I received the email from them early yesterday, my spam has gone from 5-6 a day to over 50, and climbing.  I am sooo pissed.

Offline Valerius

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:09:41 am »
Hey, maybe they'll give you a sweet deal on credit report watching.
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline MonkeyPuppet

• aut libertas aut mors
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:28:09 pm »

Hmm, seems I'm finding more and more uses for this commentary by comedian Bill Burr regarding chain stores... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ymW-STJiJw

Income Tax: Shattering The Myths
w w w . original intent . o r g

The 1911 in .45 ACP... don't leave home without it!  Safety first!!

Offline kerrymti

• The truth will set us free..and..open their eyes.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:14:24 pm »
Hey, maybe they'll give you a sweet deal on credit report watching.

No, they said that none of my personal information was given out except my email address and it is not a problem....

Offline ghost hacked

• Watching you watching me!
    • o.h.m.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 01:53:16 pm »
No, they said that none of my personal information was given out except my email address and it is not a problem....

Even your email address is private. If they give that out then, yes your private data is being given out and that IS a problem.
'We play the game with the bravery of being out of range.' - Roger Waters