Author Topic: *Japan Earthquake 8.9 occured at same time US engaged in simulation [NLE11]  (Read 228903 times)

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
Radiation 1,000 times normal at Japan nuke plant
Officials expand evacuation area around quake-damaged Fukushima plant

TOKYO — Radiation reached around 1,000 times the normal level Saturday in the control room of the No. 1 reactor of the Fukushima nuclear power plant, Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said.

The discovery suggests radioactive steam could spread around the facility operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co., Kyodo news agency reported.

The radiation surge followed Japan's massive earthquake, which caused a power outage that disabled a nuclear reactor's cooling system, triggering the evacuation of about 3,000 residents near the site, as the government declared its first-ever state of emergency at a nuclear plant.

The new surge spurred an expanded evacuation area.

More + Video: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882/ns/world_news-asiapacific/
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it's an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” – Patrick Henry

>>> Global Gulag Media & Forum <<<

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
    * MARCH 11, 2011, 4:37 P.M. ET

Tepco: Radiation Could Already Have Leaked At Nuke Plant -Kyodo
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110311-714604.html

TOKYO (Dow Jones)--Radioactive substances could have already leaked at the quake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, the operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501.TO) said Saturday, Kyodo News reported.

Radiation has been more than eight times the normal level at a monitoring post near the main gate of the plant, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency under the industry ministry said. 
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,

Offline infowarrior_039

• explosions in the sky
    • Truth Archive
10 KM evac from Fukisima #1 and the #2 plant is having cooling issues as well
new Tsunami alerts for much of Coastal Japan

see http://jibtv.com/program/fullscreen.aspx?page=0

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
Do we see any snafu's like the over-early building 7 fall "coverage" by the BBC?

Love, e

Offline wouldntyouliketoknow

I am trying to keep a record of all the news today so we can see what "disappears" and what is spun a few days from now.

They will never tell us how severe the plant leaks are. Remember "the air in NYC is fine" BS?

Offline Flur

News now saying U.S. did NOT send coolant as was reported earlier

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  - 1 John 2:15

Offline jerryweaver

A huge 8.9 Richter scale earthquake rocked Tokyo today resulting in a giant tsunami causing incredible amounts of damage, injuries and deaths.

My first reaction was to check the University of Tokyo’s HAARP induction magnetometer to see if HAARP was fired up around the time of the quake. Sure enough, following a week of electromagnetic silence, HAARP was turned on at approximately 0:00 hours 9 March, 2011 UTC and has been going strong since. Here is the data for the last 36 hours:

Read more and see videos: http://www.pakalertpress.com/2011/03/11/videos-japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-caused-by-haarp-evidence/

From Jordan at:
http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=198682

Title to post: Fulford may be Right - Japan Quake Caused by HAARP.?.... Evidence!

Offline Flur

Earthquake pushed North American plate upwards

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110311D11JFA11.htm
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  - 1 John 2:15

Offline ekimdrachir

• METATRON ON
    • Go Outside
Whirlpool Vortex Caused By Quake?? Look at this!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8WJ5tkghiI

Offline sharpsteve

• Twitter Me
Some respond to Japan earthquake by pointing to global warming
Some examples:

AliceTMBFan said “2 hours of geography earlier talking about Japan has left me thinking…maybe global warming is way more serious then we thought…”

Arbiterofwords tweeted “I’m worried that Japan earthquake, on top of other recent natural ‘disasters’, is a sign we’ve passed point of no return for climate change.”

MrVikas said “Events like the #Japan #earthquake and #tsunami MUST keep #climate change at forefront of policy thought: http://bit.ly/cZe8To #environment

Tayyclayy noted her frustration by tweeting “An earthquake with an 8.9 magnitude struck Japan.. And some say climate change isn’t real?!”

DanFranklin postulated “Never really believed all this global warming talk, but after the earthquake in NZ and today in Japan. Maybe we’ve ruined the world.”

And TeamIanHarding tweeted “While Japan witnessed an earthquake we were talking about the problems that global warming leads to in school. Think. Pray. And change.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/11/some-respond-to-japan-earthquake-by-pointing-to-global-warming/

Offline Flur

Some respond to Japan earthquake by pointing to global warming
Some examples:

AliceTMBFan said “2 hours of geography earlier talking about Japan has left me thinking…maybe global warming is way more serious then we thought…”

Arbiterofwords tweeted “I’m worried that Japan earthquake, on top of other recent natural ‘disasters’, is a sign we’ve passed point of no return for climate change.”

MrVikas said “Events like the #Japan #earthquake and #tsunami MUST keep #climate change at forefront of policy thought: http://bit.ly/cZe8To #environment

Tayyclayy noted her frustration by tweeting “An earthquake with an 8.9 magnitude struck Japan.. And some say climate change isn’t real?!”

DanFranklin postulated “Never really believed all this global warming talk, but after the earthquake in NZ and today in Japan. Maybe we’ve ruined the world.”

And TeamIanHarding tweeted “While Japan witnessed an earthquake we were talking about the problems that global warming leads to in school. Think. Pray. And change.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/03/11/some-respond-to-japan-earthquake-by-pointing-to-global-warming/

vomit

Offline Flur

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
seriously ? i would gather it's more reinforcement of the worldwide disaster and mayhem conditioning. just wondering if you have a nugget on how this would actually be possible.

btw are those australians or brits

that was my point...they are just "mayhem conditioning" us like crazy. They want us freaking out over every insane theory to the point of paralyzing numbness available to be scooped up into soylent green manufacturing plants.

WTF...how the hell is HAARP/SDI not being investigated after the first tsunami false flag, then haiti, and now this bullshit!
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
when dealing with batshit crazy psycho from hell false flag operations...sometimes it is worthwhile to think outside the box...

earthquake/tsunami = planes

stuxnet = thermite

how would there be any evidence of stuxnet during a tsunami evacuation of nuke reactors? also, do those reactors use siemens controllers.

And it is not just nuke reactors, it is also power grids, damns, water mains, oil refineries, natural gas pipelines, etc. basically much of the industrial disasters that happened in the movie 2012 could be done with stuxnet and siemens.

not really saying this is a fact, but it may be worthwhile to investigate.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
when dealing with batshit crazy psycho from hell false flag operations...sometimes it is worthwhile to think outside the box...

earthquake/tsunami = planes

stuxnet = thermite

how would there be any evidence of stuxnet during a tsunami evacuation of nuke reactors? also, do those reactors use siemens controllers.

And it is not just nuke reactors, it is also power grids, damns, water mains, oil refineries, natural gas pipelines, etc. basically much of the industrial disasters that happened in the movie 2012 could be done with stuxnet and siemens.

not really saying this is a fact, but it may be worthwhile to investigate.

Also...the tsunami is not a "precision strike" weapon whereas stuxnet has "precision strike" capabilities.

Offline Brocke

• Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
watch out for an arctic blast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Blast_(film)
The plot is centered around a colossal blast of heavily chilled mesosphere air, moving towards the Earth after a solar eclipse. The catastrophic event threatens to engulf the entire world in ice. As coastal Australia undergoes mass evacuation, physicist Jack Tate (Michael Shanks) tries to find a solution while protecting his family.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=js4bMX53ijc

AKA “Polar Vortex” or “Snowpocalypse” and “Snowmageddon”

Warming Arctic linked to big freeze across US and Europe

by ClickGreen staff. Published Wed 02 Mar 2011 11:45

The freak big freezes that have paralysed parts of Europe and US has been linked to the breakdown of an Arctic weather system named the “Polar Vortex”.

Extremely cold winds have swept down through the Northern Hemisphere recently, reaching as far south as the state of Florida and causing record low temperatures in January.

The unusually cold winter of 2009–2010 – which saw massive snowstorms dubbed “Snowpocalypse” and “Snowmageddon” — and the frigid start to 2011 in the eastern United States and Europe have scientists talking about what might be influencing the weather.

Dr. James Overland, a scientist at NOAA’s Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory (PMEL) in Seattle, has studied the changing conditions in the Arctic for 30 years. He believes the deterioration of the Polar Vortex could be leading to some of these extreme winter weather events.

“When the Polar Vortex — a ring of winds circling the Arctic — breaks down, this allows cold air to spill south, affecting the eastern United States and other regions,” says Dr. Overland. “This can result in a warmer-than-average Arctic region and colder temperatures that may include severe winter weather events on the North American and European continents.”

The Polar Vortex is a strong wind flowing around a low-pressure system normally present over the Arctic in winter. Average December values from 1968–1996 show the Polar Vortex remaining strong and helping to keep the cold air in the Arctic region. During winter of 2009–2010, this normal pattern broke down, and a weakened Polar Vortex allowed cold Arctic air to move southward.
http://www.clickgreen.org.uk/analysis/general-analysis/121969-warming-arctic-linked-to-big-freeze-across-us-and-europe.html

Frigid Winters and the Polar Vortex

January 25, 2011, 8:12 am

By JUSTIN GILLIS
A car that slid into a power pole during a snowstorm in Charlotte, N.C., this month.Associated Press A car slid into a power pole during a snowstorm in Charlotte, N.C., this month.
Green: Science

In Tuesday’s paper, I write about the weakening of the polar vortex that keeps cold air penned up in the Arctic, a change that has contributed to two bitter winters in a row in Europe and the United States. In the piece, I mentioned that several scientists were pursuing ideas about how the drastic decline of sea ice in the Arctic might be playing a role in this pattern.

Readers who want to know more about the ideas of Judah Cohen, a scientist at Atmospheric and Environmental Research in Lexington, Mass., may wish to read an article about him posted a couple of years ago by the National Science Foundation, which has financed some of his work. Those who want to read the science behind Dr. Cohen’s approach can download many of his papers at a Web site he maintains.
http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/25/frigid-winters-and-the-polar-vortex/

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jofortruth

Cooling Equipment Fails at Plant #2:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/12_27.html

Don't believe me. Look it up yourself!

Offline jofortruth

Offline seon

Re: Japan hit again!!! Earthquake 7.9
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2011, 06:54:32 pm »
I don't know, but I'd be panicked to all heck if I lived there, I mean it's plain as the nose on anyone's face...an earthquake...a tsunami.  These things kill and these things have aftershocks.  The video doesn't lie.  They're lucky they have built with these natural disasters in mind or we'd be seeing a very different picture, the ones we've seen most recently, elsewhere, with many more deaths.

Oh don't get me wrong, Hawaii people should be scared but I'm talking about the waves across the American and Australia cost etc. I think it's just fear mongering. And I was right to an extent, nothing has happened across the American coast line or anything. See, I was starting to get afraid and then realized "Wait a minute, is this the reaction they want from me?"

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
Is there any word on how long for tsunami to hit Hawaii & the west coast?

Offline NWOSCUM

• "Yuppie Scum"
Is there any word on how long for tsunami to hit Hawaii & the west coast?

Tsunami's go FASTER than jet airplanes.  They have already hit.
"The receptivity of the great masses is very limited, their intelligence is small, and their power of forgetting is enormous." --Adolph Hitler, "Mein Kampf"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-japan-quake-nuclear-us-analysis-idUSTRE72B04C20110312

Snap analysis: Japan may have hours to prevent nuclear meltdown

Reuters) - Japanese officials may only have hours to cool reactors that have been disabled by Friday's massive earthquake and tsunami or face a nuclear meltdown.

Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) (9501.T) is racing to cool down the reactor core after a highly unusual "station blackout" -- the total loss of power necessary to keep water circulating through the plant to prevent overheating.

Daiichi Units 1, 2 and 3 reactors shut down automatically at 2:46 p.m. local time due to the earthquake. But about an hour later, the on-site diesel back-up generators also shut, leaving the reactors without alternating current (AC) power.

That caused Tepco to declare an emergency and the government to evacuate thousands of people from near the plant. Such a blackout is "one of the most serious conditions that can affect a nuclear plant," according to experts at the Union of Concerned Scientists, a U.S. based nuclear watchdog group.

"If all AC power is lost, the options to cool the core are limited," the group warned.

The Kyodo news agency says the cooling system has failed at three reactors at a nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture in northeastern Japan and that the coolant water's temperature has reached boiling level.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-japan-quake-nuclear-20110312,0,4134525.story?track=rss

Offline jofortruth

Press Release (Mar 12,2011)
Impact to TEPCO's Facilities due to Miyagiken-Oki Earthquake (as of 7 AM)

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031211-e.html

Offline decepticon

• Bury the past, rob us blind, leave nothing behind.

AKA “Polar Vortex” or “Snowpocalypse” and “Snowmageddon”

i was going to tell dig that looked like the episode of southpark where everyone was running from global warming  ;D  it's over there now !!!
it may be real, but taxing my breath isn't going to stop it.

last night i had some time to kill so i ended up on this PTB website, childrens radio network or something. they talk to some kid in africa, he says one of the reasons to "fight global warming" or climate change, whichever is more convenient, is that the dinosaurs died in the ice age, and that was climate change, so we don't want to go out like the dinosaurs. ??? guess they had a lot of unregulated coal power plants.

they spend some money to brainwash these kids, all over the world.
/drift
Ron Paul 2012...because Liberty is too big to fail.
Beat Bailout Barry!!!!!!!!

Offline decepticon

• Bury the past, rob us blind, leave nothing behind.
that was my point...they are just "mayhem conditioning" us like crazy. They want us freaking out over every insane theory to the point of paralyzing numbness available to be scooped up into soylent green manufacturing plants.

WTF...how the hell is HAARP/SDI not being investigated after the first tsunami false flag, then haiti, and now this bullshit!

might makes right i suppose.

there is also so much co-intel distortion. between solar flares, the magnetosphere, tectonic plates and HAARP, you have intangible elements. coming to conclusions requires alot of scientific research into diverse fields, so conclusions are diverse and require alot of, eh, digging. of course when we don't know wtf HAARP is doing that doesn't help our research.
Ron Paul 2012...because Liberty is too big to fail.
Beat Bailout Barry!!!!!!!!

Offline GeorgeDubya

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but here goes.  Any ideas on what this has done to the Cascadia subduction zone i.e. increased or decreased stress.  Also any thoughts on what kind of effect this may have on Yellowstone.

JackFreeman

GOOGLE WORD OF DAY SHOULD BE William Cohen QUOTE ABOUT EARTHQUAKES:

Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen:

"Others are engaging even in an eco- type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves."

http://www.defense.gov/transcripts/transcript.aspx?transcriptid=674

Offline ekimdrachir

• METATRON ON
    • Go Outside
Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:54pm EST

* People buried under rubble cry for help   
 * Residents near reactor evacuated, radiation leak likely   
 * Dozens of countries offer assistance   
 * Houses, ships, cars tossed around like toys   

By Chris Meyers and Kim Kyung-hoon   

FUKUSHIMA, Japan, March 12 (Reuters) - Japan scrambled on
Saturday to reduce pressure in two nuclear plants damaged after
a massive earthquake and tsunami struck its northeast coast
probably killing at least 1,300 people.   

A day after the biggest quake on record in Japan, the
government said it was still too early to grasp the full extent
of damage or casualties. The confirmed death toll so far is
almost 300, though media reports say it is at least 1,300.   

"Unfortunately, we must be prepared for the number to rise
greatly," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters.   

The tremor, with a magnitude of 8.9, was so huge that
thousands fled their homes from coastlines around the Pacific
Rim, as far away as North and South America, fearful of a
tsunami.   

Most appeared to have been spared anything more serious than
some high waves, unlike Japan's northeast coastline which was
hammered by a 10-metre high tsunami that turned houses and ships
into floating debris as it surged into cities and villages,
sweeping aside everything in its path.   

"I thought I was going to die," said Wataru Fujimura, a
38-year-old sales representative in Koriyama, Fukushima, north
of Tokyo and close to area worst hit by the quake.   

"Our furniture and shelves had all fallen over and there
were cracks in the apartment building, so we spent the whole
night in the car... Now we're back home trying to clean
everything up."   

The government warned of a possible radiation leak as
authorities began trying to reduce pressure at damaged two
nuclear plants, sending tens of thousands of residents out of
the area to avoid possible contamination.   

Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco) said it had begun
steps to release pressure at its two nuclear power plants in
Fukushima, some 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo.    

But Kyodo news agency quoted the company as saying it was
having difficulties opening a valve at its Daiichi reactor to
release pressure.   

Experts and the government both insisted there would be no
radioactive disaster.   

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of
coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the
reaction," Naoto Sekimura, a professor at the University of
Tokyo, said.   

"Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some
radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion.
If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage.
Certainly not beyond the 3 km radius."   

The unfolding natural disaster, which has been followed by
dozens of aftershocks, prompted offers of search and rescue help
from 50 countries.    

In one of the worst-hit residential areas, people buried
under rubble could be heard calling out for rescue, Kyodo news
agency reported. TV footage showed staff at one hospital waving
banners with the words "FOOD" and "HELP" from a rooftop.   

In Tokyo, tens of thousands of office workers were stranded
overnight after the quake shut down public transport. Many were
forced to bed down where they could, with newspapers to lie on
and briefcases for pillows.   

Kyodo said at least 116,000 people in Tokyo had been unable
to return home on Friday evening due to transport disruption.   

The northeastern Japanese city of Kesennuma, with a
population of 74,000, was hit by widespread fires and one-third
of the city was under water, Jiji news agency said on Saturday.   

The airport in the coastal city of Sendai, home to one
million people, was on fire, it added.       

"Sendai (city) is now completely sunk underwater," said
limousine driver Yoshikatsu Takayabe, 52. "What do I want the
government to do? I can't flush the toilet, I want the water
back on in my house."   

TV footage from Friday showed a black torrent of water
carrying cars and wrecked homes at high speed across farmland
near Sendai, 300 km (180 miles) northeast of Tokyo. Ships had
been flung onto a harbour wharf, where they lay helplessly.   

Kyodo news agency reported that contact had been lost with
four trains in the coastal area.    

The disaster poses a huge challenge for Kan's government
which has come under such concerted attack from the opposition
and within the ruling Democratic Party (DJP) that it has
struggled to implement any policy.   

Just hours before the quake struck, Kan was rejecting
demands that he resign, his political future looking
increasingly bleak and unable even to muster enough support to
ensure the passage of bills needed to enact the new budget.   

But after the tremor, politicians pushed for an emergency
budget to fund relief efforts, with Kan urging them to "save the
country", Kyodo reported.    

Japan is already the most heavily indebted major economy in
the world, meaning any additional borrowing by the government
would be closely scrutinised by financial markets.   

MANY FIRES   

The quake, the most powerful since Japan started keeping
records 140 years ago, sparked at least 80 fires in cities and
towns along the coast, Kyodo said.   

"When I felt the quake yesterday, I actually thought it was
a strong wind slamming the door," said Emiko Nakahara, 61.   

"But then my husband said no, it's a quake. I was frightened
like I've never been before."   

Other nuclear power plants and oil refineries were shut down
and one refinery was ablaze. Power to millions of homes and
businesses was knocked out. Several airports, including Tokyo's
Narita, were closed on Friday and rail services halted. All
ports were shut.     

Nuclear power plant operator Tepco warned of severe power
shortages over the weekend.   

The central bank said it would cut short a two-day policy
review scheduled for next week to one day on Monday and promised
to do its utmost to ensure financial market stability.

The disaster struck as the world's third-largest economy had
been showing signs of reviving from an economic contraction in
the final quarter of last year. It raised the prospect of major
disruptions for many key businesses and a massive repair bill
running into tens of billions of dollars.     

The earthquake was the fifth most powerful to hit the world
in the past century. It surpassed the Great Kanto quake of Sept.
1, 1923, which had a magnitude of 7.9 and killed more than
140,000 people in the Tokyo area.    

The 1995 Kobe quake caused $100 billion in damage and was
the most expensive natural disaster in history.    

(Writing by Jonathan Thatcher; Editing by Andrew Marshall)   

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/japan-quake-idUSL3E7EC00820110312

NHK Live Feed: 21,000 Gallons of water being pumped in. Fuel Rods exposed. Pressure is rising. Possible damage to the container. Operation has been suspended. May try a remote control system.

Offline infowarrior_039

• explosions in the sky
    • Truth Archive

http://ow.ly/4cXEO

JAPAN'S quake-hit nuclear power plant, the Fukushima No. 1, located about 250km north-east of Tokyo, may be 'experiencing a nuclear meltdown', Kyodo and Jiji news reported on Sunday.

Offline sharpsteve

• Twitter Me
NHK Live Feed: 21,000 Gallons of water being pumped in. Fuel Rods exposed. Pressure is rising. Possible damage to the container. Operation has been suspended. May try a remote control system.

Link?

Offline ekimdrachir

• METATRON ON
    • Go Outside
Nuke-experts-japan-may-have-only-hours-before-meltdown

After today's earthquake in Japan, there was concern over the country's nuclear power plants: though 13 of the affected plants automatically shut down, two caused a scare. This raises the question: how does a nuclear plant stay safe during an earthquake, and why were there problems in Japan?
How do earthquakes affect nuclear power plants?

Japan is a big proponent of nuclear energy, with 55 power plants spread across the island, and 15 located within the region affected by the earthquake. But Japan is also located between four tectonic plates, which could potentially cause a nuclear meltdown if the quake is strong enough to disrupt the reactor core.

The main worry with nuclear power plants and earthquakes is the structural integrity of the plant containing the nuclear reactors and the temperature of the reactor core. When the reactor core overheats, it melts down. And when it melts down, it releases radioactive steam and other materials into the containment room surrounding it. And I'm pretty sure you know what happens after that. Thus, much effort is put into the cooling systems designed to keep those cores within a stable temperature range.

Of course, those who design power plants are cognizant of this fact and integrate safeguards, to help prevent meltdowns as a result of seismic shock.
What are these preventative measures?

The first (and primary) line of defense against the threat of earthquake-related nuclear incidents are seismic sensors which pickup oncoming earthquakes, and immediately shutdown nuclear reactors, working to neutralize any overheating. Seismic sensors work by detecting peak ground acceleration (PGA), which is the force at which an earthquake shakes the ground around the sensor.

Most nuclear plants around the world are designed to withstand a PGA under .2g (2 m/s^2). When PGA exceeds that number, the sensors will generally alert the nuclear reactors, forcing a shutdown. In general, seismic activity registering over a 6.0 on a richter scale can generate a PGA well over .2g. But magnitude alone isn't the sole determining factor of PGA.

For example, Alaska had a 9.2 magnitude earthquake that was 23km deep, and only generated a PGA of 1.8g. The recent New Zealand earthquake, on the other had, was a lesser 6.3 magnitude quake, but the depth was only 5km deep and had a staggering PGA of 2.2g. Today's earthquake in Sendai was a 9.0 magnitude, with a depth of 24km, and it generated a PGA of .82g

According to the New Scientist, once the seismic sensors go to work, the nuclear reactor is shut down from active duty and emergency cooling systems kick in, working double time to keep the core at a safe temperature:

After a nuclear plant is shut down, control rods are normally inserted into the reactor core to quench the fission reaction. But the reactor remains hot and still needs cooling.

So what happened with the two Japan plants?

While most of the affected nuclear plants in Japan shut down and resumed operation with minimal issues, two of them experienced larger problems. In the Fukushima power plant, which was most affected by the quake, the power systems were compromised by the earthquake and ensuing tsunami. After a shut down, the cooling systems rely on both standard and backup cooling systems to keep the core stable. As a result, the cores remained hot as the tsunami consumed everything around it. Here's a detailed explanation from All Things Nuclear:

The boiling water reactors at Fukushima are protected by a Reactor Core Isolation Cooling (RCIC) system, which can operate without AC power because it is steam-driven and therefore does not require electric pumps. However, it does require DC power from batteries for its valves and controls to function.

If battery power is depleted before AC power is restored, however, the RCIC will stop supplying water to the core and the water level in the reactor core could drop. If it drops far enough, the core would overheat and the fuel would become damaged. Ultimately, a "meltdown" could occur: The core could become so hot that it forms a molten mass that melts through the steel reactor vessel. This would release a large amount of radioactivity from the vessel into the containment building that surrounds the vessel.

Apparently, the U.S. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton offered to have the Air Force fly in a giant batch of coolant to help quell the threat of a nuclear leak, but Japan turned it down. Instead, the power plant operators are venting some of the slightly radioactive gas inside of the reactor to reduce pressure around the core (and they're evacuating anyone within a 3 kilometer range, because there's no such thing as a safe vent). But apparently, all the cooling mechanisms at the plant have cut out, and some experts are very concerned it could cause a meltdown within hours.

The other plant in Onagawa (which was closest to the epicenter) fell victim to a fire in its turbine generator, which didn't pose a direct threat to the reactor, but it does generate more heat and steam, which could have potentially been a HUGE issue. Luckily, reports indicate the fire is out and that plant is safe for the time being.

While this nuclear power plant cooling failure could still be an issue, it looks like some anticipatory planning in previous years leading up to this disaster may help Japan dodge the bullet. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Contact information for this author is not available.

http://ca.gizmodo.com/5781167/how-nuclear-power-plants-save-themselves-from-earthquake+related-meltdowns

Offline infowarrior_039

• explosions in the sky
    • Truth Archive

Link?

No link. I am following the NHK live feed on twitter. I should have said it was from their live twitter feed. I apologize.

Offline ekimdrachir

• METATRON ON
    • Go Outside

Press Release (Mar 12,2011)
Impact to TEPCO's Facilities due to Miyagiken-Oki Earthquake (as of 10AM)

Below is major impact to TEPCO's facilities due to the Miyagiken-Oki
Earthquake that occurred yesterday at 2:46PM.
*new items are underlined

[Nuclear Power Station]
Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station:
  Units 1 to 3: shutdown due to earthquake
  Units 4 to 6: outage due to regular inspection
* The national government has instructed evacuation for those local
residents within 10km radius of the periphery.
* Measurement of radioactive material (Iodine, etc.) by monitoring car
indicates increasing value compared to normal level. One of the
monitoring posts is also indicating higher than normal level. We will
continue monitoring discharge of radioactive material from exhaust stack
and discharge canal, etc.
* Considering the increasing pressure with in the reactor containment
vessel of Unit 1, the national government has instructed us to
implement measures to reduce the pressure of the reactor containment
vessel (partial discharge of air containing radioactive materials) in
order to fully secure safety.

Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Station:
  Units 1 to 4: shutdown due to earthquake
* The national government has instructed evacuation for those local
residents within 3km radius of the periphery and indoor standby for those
local residents between 3km and 10km radius of the periphery.
* At present, we have decided to prepare implementing measures to reduce
the pressure of the reactor containment vessel (partial discharge of air
containing radioactive materials) in order to fully secure safety.
These measures are considered to be implemented in Units 1 to 4 and
accordingly, we have reported and/or noticed the government agencies
concerned.

Kashiwazaki Kariwa Nuclear Power Station:
  Units 1, 5, 6, 7: normal operation
  Units 2 to 4: outage due to regular inspection

[Thermal Power Station]
Hirono Thermal Power Station Units 2 and 4: shutdown due to earthquake
Hitachinaka Thermal Power Station Unit 1: shutdown due to earthquake
Kashima Thermal Power Station Units 2, 3, 5, 6: shutdown due to earthquake
Ohi Thermal Power Station Units 2, 3: shutdown due to earthquake
Higashi-Ohgishima Thermal Power Station Unit 1: shutdown due to earthquake

[Hydro Power Station]
5 stations in Fukushima Prefecture were shutdown due to earthquake.
Power stations in Yamanashi Prefecture have been restored.

[Transmission System, etc.]
5 substations shown below have been shutdown:
- Naka Substation
- Shin Motegi Substation
- Joban Substation
- Ibaraki Substation
- Nishi Mito Substation

[Blackout in TEPCO's Service Area]
Total of about 1 million households are out of power.
Tokyo: 0
Kanagawa Pref.: 5,533
Tochigi Pref.: 214,817
Chiba Pref.: 134,611
Saitama Pref: 0
Gunma Pref.: 0
Ibaraki Pref: 642,657
Yamanashi Pref: 0
Shizuoka Pref: 0 (east of Fuji River)

[Supply and Demand Status within TEPCO's Service Area to Secure Stable
Power Supply]
Backup supply from Shinshinano Conversion Station: 600MW
Backup supply from Sakuma Conversion Station: 300MW
Backup supply from Higashi Shimizu Conversion Station: 100MW

Because TEPCO's facilities have been seriously damaged, power shortage
may occur.
TEPCO appreciates customers' cooperation in reducing electricity usage by
avoiding using unnecessary lighting and electrical equipment.

We are taking all measures to restore power, however, we expect extremely
difficult situation in power supply for tomorrow as well.
We kindly ask our customers to cooperate with us in reducing usage of
power.

Please do NOT touch cut-off electric wires.

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/press/corp-com/release/11031216-e.html

Offline jofortruth

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet; shifted Earth's axis
By Kevin Voigt, CNN
March 12, 2011 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)

(CNN) -- The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).

The temblor, which struck Friday afternoon near the east coast of Japan, killed hundreds of people, caused the formation of 30-foot walls of water that swept across rice fields, engulfed entire towns, dragged houses onto highways, and tossed cars and boats like toys. Some waves reached six miles (10 kilometers) inland in Miyagi Prefecture on Japan's east coast.

More: http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.earthquake.tsunami.earth/index.html?hpt=T1

Offline jofortruth

Interesting article, Route!