Author Topic: Some Vegetable Seeds Are Already Cleaned Out  (Read 983 times)

Offline Catalina

• Government Censorship, Protecting You From Reality
Some Vegetable Seeds Are Already Cleaned Out
« on: March 04, 2011, 02:29:30 pm »
We purchased garden seeds last weekend and noticed that some retailers are already cleaned out, listing availability as "unknown" for certain varieties, certain types. This is specfically the case at major retailer, Seeds of Change.

Here are a few examples of out of stock seeds: Arkansas Traveler Heirloom Tomato, Tuffy Acorn Squash, Sugar Baby Watermelon, Purple Dove Bush Bean and Oregon Giant Snow Pea. Many others were also noticeably sold out.

Repeatedly, when I clicked for bulk seeds, those were hardest to find. This is very telling about people's views of the necessity of growing your own food and having ample seeds on hand for multiple seasons.

Take heart. This is not the case for all seeds or all produce. If specific seeds are sold out at one location, try another, or multiple sites. I used several companies to make a complete order.

Yes, it would have been smarter to shop a couple weeks ago, but Stan is giving so many interviews, seeds had to wait. We had a hunch this would be a tight seed season – tighter than last year – and it's proving correct. People are buying early, buying in quantity to save $$.

Keep in mind, too, that some fruits and veggies have been hammered by intense cold and freezing temps both here in America and in Mexico, which supply a lot of produce to the US and Canada. So even if veggies are available in stores, they will cost dearly and taste like cardboard.

Last week, tomatoes in local grocery stores looked like they'd come from Libya's war zone; bruised, dented, scarred, green as grass and hard as hockey-pucks. Tasteless too. Tasteless still. Many fast food chains aren't even offering tomatoes due to weather's onslaught.

Because the world is chaotic and uncertain with food and fuel prices skyrocketing, we purchased a lot of seeds, I mean a lot of seeds – enough for several seasons. Garden Gold again proved invaluable.

http://standeyo.com/NEWS/11_Food_Water/110303.seed.picked.over.html
Spare no cost for truth's sake, neither depart from it for any gain. -Proverbs 23:23

Bestow not the gifts that God has given you to get worldly riches. -Proverbs 23:4

Offline GH0STMASTER

• Get Your Geek On!
Re: Some Vegetable Seeds Are Already Cleaned Out
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:20:25 pm »
I bought extra seed, and some that were just there even though i don't eat that much of it.  Tomatoes are popular regardless the variety.  If they have them grab em cause you can barter these.  Some will unfortunately get the hybrids by mistake.  I even got a few flowers, some perennials, some not. This coming month i will stock up on potting soil.  Some wont think to do this, but trust me when i say you need too.  If you have someone stealing your veggies in the yard you need to grow what you can inside.  Plus just in case your crop fails outside, you need backup.   
Get Your Geek On! http://getyourgeekon.info