Author Topic: How to camouflage yourself from facial recognition technology  (Read 14415 times)

charrington

Somehow I can't see myself doing this but .. eh.. who knows?

The day when you’ll be able to hold up your phone and identify a stranger through a viewfinder is getting closer.

Google’s Goggles, a mobile app for visual search, has a facial recognition version unreleased to the public, while Israeli startup Face.com’s technology can tag people’s faces in Facebook photos. Facebook even released a basic version of face detection last night, although it doesn’t have recognition.

So in a world where technology chips away at our ability to remain anonymous, how does one reclaim some semblance of control?

It turns out there’s actually a pretty simple way around the facial recognition technology available in the market today, according to Adam Harvey, a graduate student at NYU’s ITP (the same program that produced Foursquare chief executive Dennis Crowley and that Twitter’s location guru Raffi Krikorian taught at).

If you change the contrast in certain parts of your face — either through a watermark or by wearing a strategically-placed sticker or facepaint, recognition technology can’t identify that your face is a human face.

“It breaks apart the gestalt of the face,” he said. “That’s what original camouflage was supposed to do.”

Harvey said he got his idea from studying camouflage methods use during World War I and World War II. His project, CV Dazzle, is based on the original dazzle camouflage used by the military to hide ships in the 1940s.

While the flashy geometric patterns don’t seem like they could obscure a thing, they thwarted the enemy’s ability to tell the make or size of the ship. Similarly, zebra camouflage does little to blend the animal into the background of the savannah. But when zebras are in herds, predators like lions have difficulty picking out animals from the herd. (Dazzle camouflage was eventually phased out by the military as aviation technology and rangefinders improved.)

Harvey says there a couple of projects that could stem from idea. He could either build a basic watermarking technology that could render faces unidentifiable to these programs while still being recognizable to humans. Or he could work with make-up artists and designers to create interesting real-world looks that prevent facial recognition.

“Putting paint on your face isn’t always practical,” he said. “This is just the way that I wanted to test this. But if you wanted to be covert, you could try wearing different styles of make-up or accessories. You could position a Band-aid on the right spot on your face. The power of this idea is that people can interpret it in their own way.”

You can see face-detection evading makeup below. The examples that have red squares around them were identified. But the ones that don’t have squares passed facial recognition software undetected.

It seems like a pretty far-off idea given that if Facebook ever did release full-fledged facial recognition, it would never be completely automated. Humans would most likely have final say to tag or untag themselves. It’s also unclear how Google could ever release a facial recognition Google Goggles, given the privacy concerns it is already facing from European governments and consumers alike.

But if an augmented reality app that automatically identified people from your phone ever emerged, perhaps we could see a fad of facial camouflage.

http://social.venturebeat.com/2010/07/02/facial-recognition-camouflage/

Offline Georgiacopguy

• 'Cause it's a revolution for your mind...K?!
Re: How to camouflage yourself from facial recognition technology
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 11:38:10 am »
Facial recognition software is why the Brits are suddenly getting anxious to get rid of Muslim Burkas.
The resistance starts here. Unfortunately, the entire thing is moving beyond the intellectual infowar. I vow I will not make an overt rush at violent authority, until authority makes it's violent rush at me and you. I will not falter, I will not die in this course. For that is how they win.

H0llyw00d

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 11:39:18 am »
chit...another "F" word.....FACEB00K
STAY AWAY FROM IT! ;)

Wonder if this guy is safe from the scans??

Offline phasma

• Have a H.A.A.R.P.Y DAY !
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:39:53 am »
Got ya - kiss make up it is . . .
really useful post Charrington thanks for putting this up - we in the UK will need it soon it seems:

"By the year 2005, the face of every second adult in the UK will be stored in a national government database." - Daily Telegraph 22/7/97

New Labour, same old shit. This disturbing report from SchNews about the growth in CCTV technology should be enough to make you go out and buy a false nose and beard immediately.

the ultimate ID card?
Face Recognition
Run to the woods!

What if SchNEWS told you that the world's most sophisticated database of facial images was being set up in Britain...without any legislation, parliamentary oversight or public consultation - not even a polite chat with the Data Protection Registrar. Welcome to the ultimate I.D. card.

Last week the Home Office quietly announced that as of October next year, photographs in all new passports will be digitised and stored electronically. The old system of laminating a physical photo into a passport will be replaced by a computer stored image sprayed directly onto the passport with a laser jet. Yes, that picture of you as a goofy fifteen year old with a manky haircut will be reliably stored forever - unless they use the fancy new IBM software that automatically ages your mugshot!

3.5 million photo images together with related data (personal and family details) will be stored each year on the database, resulting in the creation within 10 years of a searchable archive of 35 to 40 million people - even more than the conservative evidence given by the Telegraph.

The Home Office says the new passport will be quicker to process and more resistant to tampering, but Dr James Backhouse, director of the Computer Security Research Centre in the London School of Economics said "The mere existence of such a large and sensitive database invites all manner of threats. Digital images can be transmitted, analysed and matched just like any other data. My own view is that the development of this system should proceed with meticulous care and its planning should be subject to thorough public oversight".

A spokesman for the Home Office said the system would be operated in strict accordance with the Data Protection Act. But John Woulds, assistant Data Protection Registrar said the project was "in a different league" to most other databases, and his office "we've not consulted formally or informally about this."

The Passport agency systems are linked to a number of agencies including the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and various Departments in the Home Office. Police are given access on request.

Simon Davies of Privacy International told SchNEWS "Although the Database will be managed by the Passport Agency it is in effect a Home Office facility. As a law enforcement tool it will be a choice prize not just for police, but also for security services such as MI5." The Home Office would not comment on the potential use of this technology, but it insisted that the new database was a necessary step to combat passport fraud. However, neither the Home Office nor the Passport Agency were able to provide any fraud estimates to justify the system. The Home Office suggested that the Passport Agency "may have done some work on this". However, the Agency is not responsible for such investigations.

Smile for the Cameras - It's CCTV Face Recognition Time

The potential to automatically match digitised passport images with photos from existing police databases and CCTV cameras is at the head of a barrage of privacy concerns. Several companies are well on the way to developing such technology. Miros Inc. has developed a system that can compare, in under a second, an image from a standard security camera with stored images.

The TrueFace system developed by Miros has been installed in 80 locations around the world. It claims to have only a 0.1 percent rejection rate, using an ordinary video camera lined to any PC.

Most automatic face recognition systems use "landmarks" on the face (eyes, mouth etc) or a combination with "eigenfaces" which measure the difference between light and shade. Adding or removing spectacles or facial hair makes only marginal difference to the system's accuracy.

Already Manchester City use face recognition at their Maine Road football ground and if Heathrow airport gets the green light for Terminal 5, they will use automatic face recognition, technology which has been part-funded by Marks and Spencers, the Police Foundation and British Aerospace.

Run to the Woods!

So should we be getting our knickers in a twist? Simon Davies told us, "It's always been the wet dream of authority to link faces with data and this will be a red letter day for them. The fraud argument is a confidence trick as the new passports will be just as easy to forge. The only winners will be the police, security services and anybody else - except of course ordinary people."

In the very near future we could see a triad working together of passport, digitalised driving licences and banks all feeding into the same databases. So why waste time with the political hot potato of ID cards when you can sneak this all past the public behind closed doors.

And if that hasn't got you hiding all paranoid behind your settee then there's always Europe. The Government is planning to join a massive "state security" system targeting millions of European citizens as part of a new drive to promote 'co-operation' between EU police and intelligence agencies. The Schengen Information System (SIS) keeps information on people regarded as a potential threat to public order. This includes 'aliens, illegal immigrants, drug-traffickers, serious crime suspects, football hooligans - and "meetings attended by large numbers of people from more than one member state." These include demonstrators, anti-roads campaigners- and of course rock music fans.

See also: The Rise of CCTV
For more info send an SAE to: Privacy International c/o SchNEWS, PO Box 2600, Brighton, BN2 2DX, England.
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise - Surangama Sutra

Offline Dok

• end times and current events
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:45:51 am »
Or you can just smile.

Drivers license photos are being used for the facial recognition scans.

As if It Needed to, Virginia Bans Smiles at the DMV

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/27/AR2009052703627.html

DMV officials say the smile ban is for a good cause. The agency would like to develop a facial recognition system that could compare customers' photographs over time to prevent fraud and identity theft. "The technology works best when the images are similar," said DMV spokeswoman Pam Goheen. "To prepare for the possibility of future security enhancements, we're asking customers to maintain a neutral expression."

BMV: Don't Smile, Wear Glasses
Smiles Confuse Facial Recognition Software

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/18226101/detail.html

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles is restricting glasses, hats, scarves -- and even smiles -- in driver's license photographs.

The new rules imposed last month were deemed necessary so that facial recognition software can spot fraudulent license applications, said BMV spokesman Dennis Rosebrough.
HOW TO BE SAVED
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html

Ye Must Be Born Again!
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Basics/ye_must_be_born_again.htm

True Salvation & the TRUE Gospel/Good News!
http://www.contendingfortruth.com/?p=1060

how to avoid censorship ;)

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 11:49:06 am »

You can see face-detection evading makeup below. The examples that have red squares around them were identified. But the ones that don’t have squares passed facial recognition software undetected.

All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:51:14 am »
Looks like they are pushing us to put on war paint, wtf?
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline phasma

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 11:51:42 am »
I took my kids for their first passport - they kept refusing my daughters photo because , and i quote - "she`s too white!"
She has red hair - and yeah she`s pale - but too white !
I had to get 5 different sets done and threaten to tell the press of their comments before they`d accept them . . .

I read somewhere that they are going to start putting cctv cameras with face recognition on the streets so they can make a map of who is who and who is where !

I`ll try to find the link . . .

Offline agentbluescreen

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 11:59:30 am »
Looks like they are pushing us to put on war paint, wtf?

The key to spoiling their scheme is to lose your teeth in a hockey accident. This gets you an instant two faced, forever fluoride free existence thereafter.

H0llyw00d

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 12:07:07 pm »

somebody keep an eye on these patterns....wonder if the googly gal will wear anymore looking like this?

Offline phasma

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 12:11:08 pm »
I somehow think this tech is smarter than this - it likely maps bone structure etc so that growing a beard etc wouldnt foil it - :S

charrington

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 12:17:52 pm »
The key to spoiling their scheme is to lose your teeth in a hockey accident. This gets you an instant two faced, forever fluoride free existence thereafter.
bhahahaha! I wish this was a better forum software like IPB I'd give you 1000 thumbs up sir!

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 12:21:19 pm »
I somehow think this tech is smarter than this - it likely maps bone structure etc so that growing a beard etc wouldnt foil it - :S

absolutely, they are showing old software to be used by low level slaves. the elites are just setting up more and more systems to play 3D Brzezinski geopolitical chess games...

charrington

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 12:22:48 pm »
So the answer is to become like Michael Jackson -- slowly

H0llyw00d

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 12:25:36 pm »
So the answer is to become like Michael Jackson -- slowly

but will it recognize P. McCartney as real???..:)

Offline phasma

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 12:28:47 pm »
:S
I guess if they are not forcing you to look at the camera then wearing a cap, keeping your head down etc might work -

IF you wanted to go off and do something that you wanted NOT to be associated with then maybe - idk - stuffing cotton wool balls up the top of your gums would pad out your face and mess up the measurements !

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 12:33:06 pm »
:S
I guess if they are not forcing you to look at the camera then wearing a cap, keeping your head down etc might work -

IF you wanted to go off and do something that you wanted NOT to be associated with then maybe - idk - stuffing cotton wool balls up the top of your gums would pad out your face and mess up the measurements !

here is the issue...

THIS SHIT IS ILLEGAL!

WE NEED TO EXPOSE THE PRISON!

THIS SURVEILLANCE GRID INSANITY IS TURNING THE PLANET INTO A BILDERBERG CONCENTRATION CAMP!

THEY WANT US TO KEEP TEACHING THE IBM GENOCIDE COMPUTERS ON OUR POSSIBLE METHODS TO EVADE THEIR END GAME...

The ENTIRE PLANET is being turned into an AUTONOMOUS ASSASSINATION GRID
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=176293.0

“The technotronic era involves the gradual appearance of a more controlled society. Such a society would be dominated by an elite, unrestrained by traditional values. [...] The capacity to assert social and political control over the individual will vastly increase. It will soon be possible to assert almost continuous surveillance over every citizen and to maintain up-to-date, complete files, containing even most personal information about the health or personal behavior of the citizen in addition to more customary data. These files will be subject to instantaneous retrieval by the authorities.”
https://www.mega.nu/ampp/privacy.html
-Zbigniew Brzezinski, Between Two Ages: America's Role in the Technetronic Era 1976

Offline phasma

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 12:38:49 pm »
I bet this shit isnt illegal. I bet they passed some laws on the quiet while we were all busy watching oil rigs or whatever.

But Digler you are right - we do live on a prison planet.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 12:43:45 pm »
I bet this shit isnt illegal. I bet they passed some laws on the quiet while we were all busy watching oil rigs or whatever.

But Digler you are right - we do live on a prison planet.

It is illegal concerning the constitution. Everything Hitler did was "legal" yet most obviously illegal!

Offline phasma

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 12:46:19 pm »
True. It is appauling.
I have a question though -
WHY do they feel the need to watch us constantly? to know where we are and exactly what we are doing . . .
WHY?
Are we a threat?

H0llyw00d

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 12:47:54 pm »
True. It is appauling.
WHY do they feel the need to watch us constantly? to know where we are and exactly what we are doing . . .
WHY?
Are we a threat?

to make sure theres no underground contingency's amassing a revolution against their insane horseshit! ;)

PullMyFinger

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »
And I thought the fact that my teeth are falling out and the reamining ones are spacing was a bad thing-lol.

Offline phasma

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 12:53:06 pm »
They must realise anyone who could make plans in the insane enviroments we live in is a REAL THREAT be cause not only are they aware but they are operationally able.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 12:53:44 pm »
True. It is appauling.
WHY?
Are we a threat?

It is called Behavioral Modification.

George Orwell talked about it creating a chilling effect on humanity:

Behind Winston's back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away about pig-iron and the overfulfilment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live -- did live, from habit that became instinct -- in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized.

They are creating a posthuman world and they need us to stop behaving as humans. We are being "Behaviorally Modified" to extinguish our very humanity.

More from Alan Watt:

"CRISIS CREATION BY THE CLUB OF ROME - CLUBBING US TO DEATH"

http://www.cuttingthroughthematrix.com/transcripts/Alan_Watt_Blurb_CrisisCreationClubOfRome_May302007.html
May 30, 2007 [Please read all of Alan Watt's analysis in the link above, it is amazing]

[...]
Here it is, summing it up. This is what all this is meant lead your mind to: coming to their conclusion.

"The common enemy of humanity is man."

Alan:  Here's a beautiful psychopathic ability to double-think.

"The common enemy of humanity is man."

Alan:  This is the new enemy, you see, we always need enemies to come together to fight, to work, to strive towards, and to be taxed silly.

"…in searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea…"

Alan:  I'll read that again.

"…in searching…"

Alan:  “In searching,” not in finding.

"…in searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill."

Alan:  Now for the hard of thinking, I'll repeat that part.

"…in searching for a new enemy to unite us, we…"

Alan:  We--

"…we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill."

Alan:  That should be chiseled in your stone or painted on your living room walls; you could read it everyday, because if you forget this, you'll fall for everything else that just comes your way in your lifetime.

To continue:

"In their totality and in their interactions, these phenomena do constitute a common threat which demands solidarity."

Alan:  Their goal is solidarity, like a religious movement.

"…of all peoples, but in designating them as the enemy, we fall into the trap about which we have already warned, namely mistaking symptoms for causes. All these dangers are caused by human intervention, and it is only through changed attitudes and behavior that they can be overcome."

Alan:  Behavior changes, behavior modification, you see.

Then they sum it up:

"The real enemy…"

Alan:  --Which they have chosen, remember, to make you believe in.

"The real enemy then is humanity itself."

This is a summary of a religion that's been indoctrinated and has been over the years, many years, which will bring in their new idealized society; but we have to believe in it, like a religion, to make it happen. And you think that your governments are making all these decisions for you.

Since the 1960’s, massive funding went into preaching the new environmentalism, the Gaia [or Gaea] worship, the overpopulation, “the sky is falling” attitudes that we've been brought along with.  Now you do have a generation that's grown up hearing nothing but this, who believe it's all true. Their reality is induced through propaganda and indoctrination, and reinforced by further propaganda, ongoing propaganda. A term they used in circles at the top, back in the 1940’s and '30’s even, they called it "continuing education."  That was their couching term for it, which would confuse Joe Average, but it literally meant: beginning with early childhood indoctrination at school and furthered down through time with newspapers, magazines, the radio and eventually television, to reinforce their original lies, until Joe Average and Jane Average think it’s all real and they behave accordingly.  

It’s no different than the way religion was used before that, where you'd run through the forest, terrified of all the demons behind every tree; and shadows, as the sun would move and cast the shadows; and it would get dark and you'd run into that big church, where it’s full of light and God was there to dispel all the darkness. It made you feel better and safe, and you clung to the holy men because they could save you.

Any reality can be induced, given time, reinforcement and promulgated from the top down, as the ancients talked about in Greece, when they discussed this many times in the writings of various philosophers. How many generations have lived, died, fought in wars, had moments of pleasure and masses of misery, never knowing that their reality and their belief system (and everything else) was given by a small dominant minority with the history of the ages and the sciences therein? Nothing has changed.

Eventually, you will see children who will volunteer for sterilization, thinking they're doing the world a great deed (or if they're singled out), because they will be told; and this is coming. It's been discussed, written about and published that they have defective genes. They might even have an allergy, “oh, my,” and they shouldn't really put that on to another generation of inflicting misery. You'll see the first generation being "enhanced," as they call it. That's was put forth to the public, through fiction again; the Star Trek series and the eventual space station series (I don’t know what they called it).  "Genetic enhancement,” see the movie, "Gattaca," good predictive programming.  

However, they will volunteer for sterilization, and probably get some social benefits if they go ahead and do this. Ultimately, of course, they won't need humans to breed, at the low levels. They've discussed this and published it too.  Charles Galton Darwin talked about the elite not altering themselves or altering their brains, because they must retain survival capabilities and instincts, since they will be steering the ship of Earth. Whereas Koestler, by the way, for all his so called leading of the left-wing worked for MI6 (declassified now). He said "the masses of people won't need their survival capabilities because the state will be making their decisions for them."

Therefore, we're going through just one part of an ongoing process.  It was ongoing and planned for your parents, grandparents and back through time. Masses of people have lived and died, never knowing reality; and that's what we're up against—those who steal our ability to be sentient. They decide what we will be, by giving us a scripted version of reality.  They often, in their arrogance, do come out with statements, psychopathically, because they are psychopaths, you see. Psychopaths have tremendous ego. They love to say, "Well, we really told you. It's just that you didn't listen," and they do tell us, and they chuckle that we don't get it because we cannot imagine people being so evil as to do what they do. That's why they get away with it. They're helped by myriads of bureaucrats, who, once again are conditioned in their little tunnel and they can't think outside of it either.  They will rationalize what they do, no matter what it is and no matter who suffers.

Get the book. Read through it, and you certainly will learn, by their own admissions that: the reality that you've had, and the one they're going to give you, was designed by them.

From Hamish and myself, it's good night, and may your god or your gods go with you.

Offline jeremystalked1

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 12:55:35 pm »
Oh yeah, I get the agenda:

To control something, you have to watch it.

http://areyoutargeted.com/2010/03/15/to-control-something-you-have-to-watch-it/

And then there's the privacy issue.

http://areyoutargeted.com/survival/privacy-issues/

ps.  Sunglasses.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 01:26:43 pm »
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

We are living in a concentration camp!

Offline s3d1t0r

• F̱̹̳̖o̤llow the mon̐ͫ͂̓̊̓͊ë́͐͒̍ȳ̏ͨ̾͆
    • Seditious Blasphemy doth appear here!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2010, 02:40:52 pm »
True. It is appauling.
WHY?
Are we a threat?

For the entirety of human history at least one constant is absolute...

Those in power fear only one thing, losing that power.  And as such will do EVERYTHING and anything to ensure they do not lose their power, no matter the cost and no matter who suffers.

And the sad thing is, as mentioned in 1984, authoritarian systems see power as the ability to make others suffer.  This is the power that those in power are so afraid of losing.
“go to work, send your kids to school
follow fashion, act normal
walk on the pavement, watch T.V.
save for your old age, obey the law
Repeat after me: I am free