Author Topic: Fluoride and its action on ADH/Vasopressin  (Read 2838 times)

Offline akston

• StatismWatch
Fluoride and its action on ADH/Vasopressin
« on: February 12, 2010, 11:29:34 pm »
Apologies if this has been covered already...

I was lying on my futon, wondering why I and my son are both such 'nighthawks' lately, and it occured to me to wonder if it might have anything to do with the fact I've been filtering fluoride out of my tapwater for some time now. Worth looking up, I thought. I recalled the hypothalamus has something to do with circadian rhythms (sleep), and by simply searching on 'fluoride hypothalamus' found the following.

The Hypothalamus

The hypothalamus is an area of the brain that produces the "controlling" hormones. These hormones regulate body processes such as metabolism, and control the release of hormones from glands like the thyroid, the adrenals and the gonads (testes or ovaries).
Hormones of the Hypothalamus
The hypothalamus is a region of the brain. It secretes a number of hormones.
• Thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH)
• Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH)
• Growth hormone-releasing hormone (GHRH)
• Corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH)
• Somatostatin
• Dopamine
Two other hypothalamic hormones:
• Antidiuretic hormone (ADH) and
• Oxytocin
travel in neurons to the posterior lobe of the pituitary where they are released into the circulation.
http://www.fluoridealert.org/pesticides/effects.hypothalamus.background.htm

Sodium fluoride-induced changes in the hypothalamic neurosecretory system of the spotted owlet, Athene brama Temminck.

Administration of 10 or 20 mg of sodium fluoride (NaF) induced depletion of neurosecretory material (NSM) from the neurons of the supraoptic (SON) and paraventricular (PVN) nuclei in spotted owlet (Athene brama Temminck). The residual NSM in the perikarya was aranged in caplike paranuclear positions. The NSM in the hypothalamo-hypophysial tract, the zona externa of the anterior median eminence (ME) and in the neural lobe (NL) showed only a partial lossmthe effects of NaF administration on the HNS of the spotted owlet are similar to those induced by such stimulators of ADH secretion as hypertonic saline, morphine and formalin. Hence the histological changes induced by NaF administration in the HNS of the spotted owlet are presumably indicative of increased neurosecretory activity resulting in the augmented secretion of ADH. It is suggested that NaF, like other stressful agents, is a stimulator of ADH secretion.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1079182

Function of Vasopressin/ADH on the Central nervous system (CNS)

Vasopressin released within the brain has many actions:

* It has been implicated in memory formation, including delayed reflexes, image, short- and long-term memory, though the mechanism remains unknown, and these findings are controversial. However, the synthetic vasopressin analogue desmopressin has come to interest as a likely nootropic.
    * Vasopressin is released into the brain in a circadian rhythm by neurons of the Supraoptic nucleus.
    * Vasopressin released from centrally-projecting hypothalamic neurons is involved in aggression, blood pressure regulation and temperature regulation.
    * Selective AVPr1a blockade in the ventral pallidum has been shown to prevent partner preference, suggesting that these receptors in this ventral forebrain region are crucial for pair bonding. [2]

In recent years there has been particular interest in the role of vasopressin in social behavior. It is thought that vasopressin, released into the brain during sexual activity, initiates and sustains patterns of activity that support the pair-bond between the sexual partners; in particular, vasopressin seems to induce the male to become aggressive towards other males.[3]

Evidence for this comes from experimental studies in several species, which indicate that the precise distribution of vasopressin and vasopressin receptors in the brain is associated with species-typical patterns of social behavior. In particular, there are consistent differences between monogamous species and promiscuous species in the distribution of AVP receptors, and sometimes in the distribution of vasopressin-containing axons, even when closely-related species are compared.[3] Moreover, studies involving either injecting AVP agonists into the brain, or blocking the actions of AVP, support the hypothesis that vasopressin is involved in aggression towards other males. There is also evidence that differences in the AVP receptor gene between individual members of a species might be predictive of differences in social behavior. One study has suggested that genetic variation in male humans effects pair-bonding behavior. The brain of males uses vasopressin as a reward for forming lasting bonds with a mate, and men with one or two of the genetic alleles are more likely to experience marital discord. The partners of the men with two of the alleles affecting vasopressin reception state disappointing levels of satisfaction, affection, and cohesion.[4] Vasopressin receptors distributed along the reward circuit pathway, specifically in the ventral pallidum, are activated when AVP is released during social interactions such as mating, in monogamous prairie voles. The activation of the reward circuitry reinforces this behavior leading to conditioned partner preference, and thereby initiates the formation of a pair bond.[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasopressin#Central_nervous_system_.28CNS.29

Now, I'm in no position to properly interpret this stuff, since dosages are important in affect (and the 10-20mg is a massive dosage for a little owl), but we might hope that at some point a neurobiologist might come along and say a few words. Suffice it to say that in general though, fluoride does screw with your hypothalamus, which regulates sleep, social interactions, and memory, and I'm glad I'm not subjecting myself or my little guy to it, since both I and my partner are faithfully using that filtered water.

The 'Fluoride Action Network' seems to provide one of the more comprehensive sources of information on the stuff.

10 Facts about Fluoride
http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoride-facts.htm

akston out
http://statismwatch.ca
stat·ism /ˈsteɪtɪzəm/
1. the principle or policy of concentrating extensive economic, political, and related controls in the state at the cost of individual liberty.

statismwatch.ca - a media compilation and forum exposing statism and its roots from a Canadian perspective