Author Topic: Obama and elder Bush team up on call to service  (Read 5168 times)

T0RN

Obama and elder Bush team up on call to service
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:56:35 am »
Obama and elder Bush team up on call to service

By EILEEN SULLIVAN
Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- President Barack Obama, who has called on Americans to perform more community service, is joining former President George H.W. Bush in urging citizens to volunteer.

Bush on Friday was to host a forum on volunteering at Texas A&M University, to be attended by Obama, who initiated a "United We Serve" call to service in June that culminated in a national day of service on the eighth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

The forum is affiliated with the Points of Light Institute, an organization that honors people and groups who participate in community service. Bush created the Daily Point of Light Award in 1989 to honor volunteers. The forum will be held at the A&M campus at College Station, Texas, where Bush's presidential library is located. It was expected to draw students, faculty and Points of Light award winners. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, a former president of the university, was planning to attend as well.

As a candidate, Obama promised to make a call to public service a cornerstone of his presidency.

On the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday this year, on Jan. 19, the day before Obama's inauguration, the president-elect, Hollywood stars and thousands of other Americans volunteered across the country.

In April, Obama signed into law the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, which tripled the size of the AmeriCorps community service program.

And in late June, when Obama kicked off the call to service program, he and his family worked with other volunteers at Fort McNair in Washington and helped load 15,000 backpacks with books, healthy snacks and toys for children with parents in the armed forces.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_COMMUNITY_SERVICE?SITE=MALOW&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
Re: Obama and elder Bush team up on call to service
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:45:29 am »
Two party system, yeah right! ::)

Looks like ole' Bush's "thousand points of light" he had visions of is being manifested by his little buddy Obama.
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)

Offline Overcast

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:28:22 pm »

Looks like ole' Bush's "thousand points of light" he had visions of is being manifested by his little buddy Obama.

I suspect there are two different 'factions' or more seen within the globalist's ranks themselves even - but yes, it's not a 'two party' system from the voters/people's point of view no doubt.

Funny thing is: If you take Human Nature, add a big dose of reality, and a strong pinch of history - and they get 'their way' - even with that, whatever group 'gets control' will immediately have to deal with opposition from other 'groups' similar to themselves and the infighting among the inbreds will begin.

Kinda' like the 'Hatfields and McCoy's'

lol

No matter what they get, what they control, what they do - it will never be enough to sate their addiction to death and power.

Just like any junkie... they'll need more and more and more.
And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Offline SOS3

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:34:24 pm »
Obama Praises Bush Family At Texas A&M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT68Gce4_qo

Offline chris jones

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 10:43:07 pm »

The biggest Con Artists gather. What a FK show.

I coudn't listen anymore to these sociopathic worms, nor could I stand to hear the crowds cheer for them as though they were gods coming down to visit his creation.

And people wonder why they continue with a following, these skinbags are certain that a great portion of this nation are brainless morons, I can imagine they have a good laugh when the shows over.

I see more realism in a donald duck cartoon, they say its not political, SURE they do!

Obama displays his loyalty, he dear allies the Bush dynasty, how much they have done for this nation.

Isn't it sickning isn't it, turns my FK stomach. 

PullMyFinger

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 11:09:18 pm »

Check out the backdrop on the video.Combined them both.

Offline chrisfromchi

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 11:36:52 pm »

George H.W. Bush
1988 Republican National Convention Acceptance Address
http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/georgehbush1988rnc.htm

"This is America: the Knights of Columbus, the Grange, Hadassah, the Disabled American Veterans, the Order of Ahepa, the Business and Professional Women of America, the union hall, the Bible study group, LULAC, "Holy Name" -- a brilliant diversity spread like stars, like a thousand points of light in a broad and peaceful sky."

George Bush
Inaugural Address
Friday, January 20, 1989
http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres63.html

"I have spoken of a thousand points of light, of all the community organizations that are spread like stars throughout the Nation, doing good. We will work hand in hand, encouraging, sometimes leading, sometimes being led, rewarding. We will work on this in the White House, in the Cabinet agencies. I will go to the people and the programs that are the brighter points of light, and I will ask every member of my government to become involved. The old ideas are new again because they are not old, they are timeless: duty, sacrifice, commitment, and a patriotism that finds its expression in taking part and pitching in."

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 12:16:12 am »
Really nothing new...next thing you'll see is him vacationing up in Kennebunkport, Maine. Barbara will say he is another adopted son, like she did with Bill Clinton.  ::)

Please visit my website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 03:40:44 am »
Points of Light Institute:

CEO: The wife of Congressman Sam Nunn (on the History channel propaganda about nukes hitting DC?)

Chairman of the Board: Neil Bush

Logo: Rothschild's Red Shield, Wal-Mart star.

Yeah this was a real good thing for our country.

WHY THE F*CK DO THESE PSYCHOPATHS STILL THINK WE BELIEVE A WORD THEY SAY?
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

kushfiend

Wow! Obama and Bush Sr. calling on Americans to serve!!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:08:51 am »
How disgusting is this? Didn't Barry just get back from his like 4th or 5th vacation on the year already, now teaming up with ol' Magog [Bush Sr.] to promote slaving us out.

I call bullshit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33340271/ns/politics-white_house/

Obama, elder Bush team up on call to service

Former and current president urge more Americans to volunteer

COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Calling public service “the essence of our liberty,” President Barack Obama on Friday urged Americans to step up and volunteer in their communities.

Speaking at a community service forum in Texas, Obama said there’s only so much government can do in tackling the nation’s problems. He said government can build the best schools, but it can’t run the PTA. It can buy the armed forces the best equipment, he said, but it can’t give a home-cooked meal to a military family stretched thin.

“The need for action always exceeds the limits of government,” Obama said. “While there’s plenty that government can and must do ... there’s a lot that government can’t and shouldn’t do and that’s where active, engaged citizens come in.”

The event was hosted by former President George H.W. Bush at Texas A&M University. Bush was the first president to create a permanent White House office dedicated to promoting volunteerism. [INSERT: Interesting, obviously the forced servitude plan has been in place for awhile.] The forum was affiliated with the Points of Light Institute, which honors people and groups who participate in community service.

Bush first spoke of the “thousand points of light” in his acceptance speech at the 1988 Republican convention, using it as a metaphor for all the things Americans do, individually and in groups, to help fellow citizens. He created the Daily Point of Light Award in 1989 to honor volunteers. Friday’s event honored the 20th anniversary of his volunteer movement.

Optimistic about the future
In recognizing that initiative, Obama said Bush “didn’t call for one blinding light to shine from Washington, but for a vast galaxy of people and institutions to solve problems in their own backyards.”

The president said he’s optimistic about the future, despite the recession and security threats, because young Americans today are more engaged in service activities than any generation in decades.

“In the end, service binds us to each other and to our community and to our country in a way that nothing else can,” he said.

Obama, a Democrat, initiated a “United We Serve” call to service in June that culminated in a national day of service on the eighth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

“Our 44th president is absolutely right,” Bush said as he was introducing Obama. “There isn’t a more important time than now for us all to get involved.

Obama cited Bush’s long record of public service, which began as a young fighter pilot in World War II. He said Bush’s “life of service is an inspiration to all of us.”

Several hundred protesters gathered outside the auditorium where Bush and Obama spoke. Bush had said the event was not political, but the protesters gave speeches criticizing Obama’s efforts to revamp health care. Many of the protesters were from anti-tax Tea Party groups that bused in members from around the state.

Offline VulpesVafrae

• el-CIA(duh!)
Re: Wow! Obama and Bush Sr. calling on Americans to serve!!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 11:13:24 am »
Freedom is Slavery
America is doubleplusgood today. It has always been doubleplusgood.

kushfiend

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 11:22:54 am »

Offline larsonstdoc

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 11:34:58 am »
It can buy the armed forces the best equipment, he said, but it can’t give a home-cooked meal to a military family stretched thin.

I saw 1000's of homeless in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago waiting for soup while the criminal bastard bankers are eating the finest foods from the money they stole from the American people. (I was in Las Vegas because of my mother's death--She lived in Las Vegas.) 

I will not serve these criminals.
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

kushfiend

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 12:23:15 pm »

I saw 1000's of homeless in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago waiting for soup while the criminal bastard bankers are eating the finest foods from the money they stole from the American people. (I was in Las Vegas because of my mother's death--She lived in Las Vegas.) 

me either

Offline nustada

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 01:13:36 pm »

You got to love a city, that the mere mention of, makes it seem necessary to justify oneself.  :D