Author Topic: 'Brain fingerprinting' could be breakthrough in law enforcement  (Read 4413 times)

Offline otero1

'Brain fingerprinting' could be breakthrough in law enforcement
« on: October 11, 2008, 07:09:34 pm »
'Brain fingerprinting' could be breakthrough in law enforcement

http://www.komonews.com/news/30821859.html

SEATTLE -- Science is becoming a more important part of catching a killer or terrorist and keeping the innocent out of jail.

A Seattle neuroscientist is leading the way with technology based on a simple fact: your brain can't lie.

An odd looking headband, flashing words on a computer screen, and a couple clicks of a mouse could be the secret to putting a murderer behind bars.

"It's a game changer in the field of global security," said Dr. Larry Farwell, Chairman of Brain Fingerprinting Labs who developed "brain fingerprinting" - a lie detector test for the 21st century.

While polygraph tests rely on emotional responses, brain fingerprinting records how your brain reacts to words and images related to a crime -- ones only the killer would recognize.

"If the person was there, they get 'ah ha!' response in the brain waves," he said. "The brain says 'Ah ha!' "

And that "ah ha" moment can't be covered up.

"This is an involuntary response that happens very quickly; it's not something you can control," he said.

Dr. Farwell has worked with the CIA, FBI and law enforcement agencies around the country. His cases include an innocent Iowa man finally freed after 23 years, and a serial killer in Missouri who eventually confessed.

It's technology Farwell says is fool proof. And unlike polygraphs, these can be admitted in court.

There's still resistance from some law enforcement agencies.

"It took some time, it always takes time," Farwell said. "It took time for fingerprints, for DNA and now for brain fingerprinting."

But Dr. Farwell says his guarantee will help more people accept it.

"I can't beat it, and I invented it."

He has even offered $100,000 to anyone who can fool the system, and so far nobody has.

Offline MarkCentury

• HealthSpan Foods
Re: 'Brain fingerprinting' could be breakthrough in law enforcement
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 07:20:04 pm »
I'm am all for technology ... but this is scary....

Potentially replacing a deliberative trial by jury of your peers with electronic justice.

And just as electronic ballet boxes without paper receipts can be hacked it's easy to see how this could be hacked and abused as well ... bring someone in, get a certified reading, and off they go to prison or execution.
"Awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this secret combination which shall be among you ... that seeketh to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries; and it bringeth to pass the destruction of all people"  Ether 8:24-25

sociostudent

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 12:07:02 am »
I'm am all for technology ... but this is scary....

Potentially replacing a deliberative trial by jury of your peers with electronic justice.

And just as electronic ballet boxes without paper receipts can be hacked it's easy to see how this could be hacked and abused as well ... bring someone in, get a certified reading, and off they go to prison or execution.

This is so wrong. I mean, here in east texas, we're kind of used to seeing crap like this (a corrupt justice system that routinely sentences innocent people to death row) , but on a massive scale...God, it's like the Holocaust 2 waiting to happen.

Offline Femacamper

• TRUNEWS
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:15:10 pm »
I saw this on the science channel. I wonder what their failure rate is?

At any rate, this technology is a recipe for tyranny!

Offline centexan

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:42:42 pm »

But Dr. Farwell says his guarantee will help more people accept it.

"I can't beat it, and I invented it."

He can't beat it because he's a natural-born bullshitter.  This kind of stuff makes me think of Philip K. Dick, the sci-fi writer.  Fifty years ago he was writing about kamikaze drones that zero in on your brain waves and target your head.  He was an on-again/off-again paranoid schizophrenic, but I swear he saw glimpses of the future.  If this thing actually works, how hard would it be to pick you out of a crowd with, say...a kamikaze drone?

Offline DireWolf

• Freedom, Liberty & death to the NWO
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 09:15:59 am »
I'm dusting off my tinfoil lined baseball cap and going E-Bay with it!!! LOL.

In all seriousness unless they have found a part of the brain unaffected by their soft kill drugs or the natural degeneration caused by age their method is nothing like using fingerprints, for as the chemical make-up of our body changes so does the minds electrochemical signature, but if they can fool the masses into believing this then many innocents will become victims of more pseudo-science.
Freedom and Liberty, or slavery and death, your choice, choose wisely.

Offline Valerius

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:30:17 am »
What words are there that "only the killer would recognize?"
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Mike Philbin

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:43:19 am »
Technology SHOULD be used to help us grow as a race, not f**k US UP THE ARSE for any crime they wanna invent.

This place is sick and the sooner I'm off this f**ked up planet the better.

Really sick.