Author Topic: Killing America's Kids and Driving Them Insane  (Read 477714 times)

Offline Harconen

Killing America's Kids and Driving Them Insane
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:20:13 pm »
"Killing America's Kids and Driving Them Insane"

Whether or not their bodies are dying we are killing their souls by forcing them to be tools for NWO genocide

Fred Reed
LewRockwell.com
Tue, 08 Sep 2009 14:00 UTC
http://www.lewrockwell.com/reed/reed166.html

BEFORE: Joshua Bernard

The web is covered in stink today because of a reporter for the Associated Press, Julie Jacobson, who photographed the death of a Marine whose legs had just been blown off. The kid was Joshua Bernard, a Lance Corporal of 21 years. When the photo appeared, Robert Gates, the Secretary of Defense [sic] furiously tried to get the AP to quash the photo. It didn't, to its everlasting credit. To quote one of many accounts on the web:

"Gates followed up with a scathing letter to Curley [of AP] yesterday afternoon. The letter says Gates cannot imagine the pain Bernard's family is feeling right now, and that Curley's 'lack of compassion and common sense in choosing to put out this image of their maimed and stricken child on the front page of multiple newspapers is appalling. The issue here is not law, policy or constitutional right - but judgment and common decency.'"

I thought a long time before writing about this matter, and was not pleasant to be around. The photo resonated with me, as we say. You see, long ago, in another pointless war, promoted by another conscienceless Secretary, I too was a Marine Lance Corporal of twenty-one years. I too got shot, though not nearly as badly as this kid, and spent a year at Bethesda Naval Hospital. At this point I am legally blind following my (I think) thirteenth trip to eye surgery as a result of an identical foreign policy.

Big f**king deal. Shit happens. At this point I'm comfortable and doing fine. Don't cry for me, Argentina. The other kid is dead.

But that bothers me. And all of this perhaps gives me a certain insight into the matter that not all reporters have, nor all editors. It also makes me poisonously, bottle-throwing angry to think about another chilly professional bureaucrat, the Second Coming of McNamara, with less combat experience than Tinkerbell, sending kids to croak in weird places having nothing to do with the US.

AFTER: Joshua Bernard

But Gates. The words "decency" and "unconscionable" coming from him are fetid with hypocrisy. Gates was director of the CIA. "Intelligence" agencies are moral dirt, hated the world over for torture, murder, and destabilization of countries leading to hundreds of thousands of deaths. The KGB, Mossad, CIA, STASI, SAVAK - they're all the same. A man who presides over torture and murder should not speak of decency. He has none.

Nor is it easy to believe that Gates feels the slightest sympathy for the dead kid or for his family. If you don't want kids to die in Afghanistan, don't send them there. He does. How sorry can he be?

It could almost make you turn against the war. Some 6,000 American kids have died like this, the photographs carefully hidden by the press. The Pentagon has killed many, many more Afghan and Iraqi civilians, and the number of permanently disabled Americans is far higher. Today I find a column on Antiwar.com by Joe Galloway, whom I remember from UPI Saigon, entitled The War in Afghanistan is Not Worth Another American Life http://original.antiwar.com/galloway/2009/09/04/afghanistan-isnt-worth-one-more-american-life/ I agree. Nor another Afghan life. They did nothing. Another headline notes that the Kondor Legion, the USAF, killed ninety-five Afghans in another witless air strike. These days, we are the Nazis.

Why then is he so angry at having the war photographed? Easy: Spin control. Spin is so very important in war these days. While America is only barely a democracy, still, if the public, the great sleeping acquiescent ignorant beast, ever gets really upset, the war ends. The Pentagon is acutely aware of this. It remembers its disaster in Asia. The generals of today learned nothing military from Vietnam - they are fighting the same kind of war as stupidly as before - but they learned something more important: Their most dangerous enemy is the America public. You. Me. Defeating the Taliban isn't particularly important, or even desirable. (No war means fewer promotions and fewer contracts). But while the Taliban cannot possibly defeat the Pentagon, the American public can.

Photographs are death to a war, boys and girls. They can asphyxiate a war faster than roadside bombs can even dream. Gates does not want the sprawling somnolent inattentive beast, the public, to see what his wars really are. In wars, there are many enlightening things to see. For example, the Marine with a third of his face and half a lung, going ku-kuk-kuk as red gunk rolls out of his mouth and he drowns in his blood. Ruined or dying teenagers whimpering the trinity of the badly wounded, Mother, wife, and water. The brain-shot guy jerking like an epileptic as he tries not to die. Ever see brain tissue from gunshot? I have. It makes a pink spew across the ground. Like strawberry chiffon.

Gates does not want you to see this. You would puke, buy a bottle of bourbon, and take to the streets. He knows it. CBS could end these wars in a week if it aired what really happens. Gates cannot afford to let the dam break. PR is all. Thus Bush forbade the photographing of coffins coming home, and the CIA ferociously resists the publication of photographs of torture. Professional sadists do things to people that would make you gag.

Then there are the enlisted men. In these hobbyist wars, and to an extent even in peacetime, it is crucial to keep the enlisteds from thinking. In some three decades of covering the military, I saw this constantly. If I went to Afghanistan today as a correspondent, I could argue in private about the war with the colonel. If I suggested to the troops that they were being suckered, the colonel would go crazy. Next to keeping the public quiescent, keeping the troops (and potential recruits) bamboozled is vital. If a high-school kid saw what awaited, if he saw the cartilage glistening in wrecked joints, he wouldn't sign.

Do I think that the press should publish such photos? Not yes but hell yes on afterburner. Every time an editor covers for the Pentagon, every time papers refuse to show the charred bodies still...slowly...moving, the dead children, the...never mind. The effect is to ensure that more kids will die the same way. And the press almost always does exactly this. We are a trade of whores and shills. Except that whores give value for money. The press kills our children.

Julie Jacobson sounds like that modern-day rarity, a reporter, as distinguished from a volunteer flack. Bless her. I used to wonder whether women could hack it as combat correspondents. I no longer do. (There are lots of them.) I used to refer to smarmy over-groomed bloodthirsty office warts as pussies, saying that they lacked balls. The anatomical reference no longer works. I note that Jacobson has more combat time than the aggregate for Bush II, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice, Obama, Biden, Gonzalez, Clinton, Perle, Abrams, Kristol, Feith, Podhoretz, Krauthammer, George Will, Dershowitz, and Gates. These men, if the word is appropriate, killed that kid. Jacobson just caught them in the act.

Resist. Rebel. Cry out to all peoples and nations from the sky as the lightening flashes from the east to the west and judge the living and the dead.Or choose submission and slavery.

The light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.  (John 1:5)

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
    • JACKSON HOLLY'S OLD HOME PLACE
Re: Killing America's Kids
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:30:00 pm »

The media is owned by the same people who own the military ... the picture probably slid through because some lackey editor has a son 'over there' or something.

This is a STRONG article and deserves WIDE readership (which will never happen).

... and this GD loving government of ours knows that the best anti-war activists are soldiers!
St. Augustine: -The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it.
Let it loose; it will defend itself.-

Offline Harconen

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:45:04 pm »
... and this GD loving government of ours knows that the best anti-war activists are soldiers!

Yes, because soldiers knows the truth!

Harry Patch : War Is "The Calculated And Condoned Slaughter Of Human Beings"

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=127168.msg786446#msg786446
Resist. Rebel. Cry out to all peoples and nations from the sky as the lightening flashes from the east to the west and judge the living and the dead.Or choose submission and slavery.

The light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.  (John 1:5)

Offline Overcast

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 08:52:27 pm »
Very good article.
And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:54:11 pm »
http://news.antiwar.com/2009/09/11/obama-vows-to-never-stop-pursuing-al-qaeda/

Obama Vows to Never Stop Pursuing al-Qaeda

Yet Generals Insist the Group Has No Presence in Afghanistan, No Support in Iraq
by Jason Ditz, September 11, 2009

Speaking at a ceremony at the Pentagon on the eight year anniversary of the September 11 attacks, President Barack Obama vowed that America would “renew our resolve” to fight al-Qaeda and insisted that he would never waver from that course of action.

At the same time half a world away, General Stanley McChrystal was saying that there was no sign of any significant al-Qaeda presence in Afghanistan. ( http://news.antiwar.com/2009/09/11/us-commander-no-sign-of-al-qaeda-presence-in-afghanistan/ ) President Obama has made the escalation of the war in Afghanistan the cornerstone of his foreign policy, and has sold the continuation of the eight year long war primarily on the basis of the threat posed by al-Qaeda.

In Iraq, the top commander there General Ray Odierno declared that Iraqis had rejected al-Qaeda and that there was no chance they would ever be able to establish a “caliphate” in the nation. There was virtually no al-Qaeda presence in Iraq prior to America’s 2003 invasion, but the group has since spent the last several years launching attacks there, killing an enormous number of civilians.

On this anniversary, America has roughly 130,000 troops in Iraq, and roughly 68,000 troops in Afghanistan. The administration is widely expected to add another 20,000 troops to the war. President Obama has also dramatically increased the number of drone attacks inside Pakistan. He’s also increasing tensions with both Iran and North Korea, nations which have essentially zero al-Qaeda presence.

What President Obama doesn’t have, however, is any idea where Osama bin Laden, the reclusive leader of al-Qaeda, actually is. Eight years of war, and hundreds of billions of dollars have left the US mired in conflicts without significant connections to al-Qaeda, and no real plan for how to fight them other than to “renew our resolve.”

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48:43 pm »
How dare you show what is actually happening in our wars!  Why, if you keep doing it, Americans might demand that we end the bogus wars and bring our troops home.

:P
War Is Peace - Freedom Is Slavery - Ignorance Is Strength

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline Harconen

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:55:42 pm »

Offline Overcast

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 10:25:24 pm »
How dare you show what is actually happening in our wars!  Why, if you keep doing it, Americans might demand that we end the bogus wars and bring our troops home.

:P

A lot of that reminds me of that Star Trek (TOS) episode where they are fighting all their wars by computer and people step into a disintegration chamber - like it was nothing.

I think the end point was that war needed to have all it's 'veneer' ripped off of it, and exposed for the truly brutal and evil thing is it - that's what will get people to want to stop it.
And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Offline Harconen

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 10:38:18 pm »
  09/09/2009
The Fatalities and Nationality pages are now functioning. I will add search capability to the Fatalities detail page by Thursday, Sept. 10.

09/09/2009

We have recovered the data for military fatalities for both the Iraq (OIF) and Afghanistan (OEF) sites.
We still have a ways to go until both sites return to full functionality, but with a little luck everything should be back to normal soon.
I want to personally thank all of you who have donated and encourage others who find this site beneficial to make a modest contribution to iCasualties to help defray the cost of necessary server upgrades and daily operations.
I also owe a special thanks to Mr. Ellis and Mr. Stasz for their assistance in collecting data.

Michael White
iCasualties.org
News

09/11/09 : DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
Lance Cpl. Christopher S. Fowlkes, 20, of Gaffney, S.C., died Sept. 10 from wounds sustained Sept. 3 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C.

09/11/09 AAP: Five Australian soldiers hurt during Afghan bomb attack
Five Australian soldiers have been hurt in a bomb attack in Afghanistan. The troops were on a foot patrol in southern Afghanistan on Thursday when the improvised explosive device went off...the soldiers had minor wounds and their injuries were not life threatening.

09/11/09 AP: Polish soldier dies in Afghanistan
Poland''s Defense Ministry says a soldier has been killed and four others injured in an exchange of fire with the Taliban in Afghanistan. Thirty-year-old Pfc. Piotr Marciniak was killed Thursday in the eastern Ghazni province after a group of 30 Polish troops was sent to support a U.S.-Afghan force that encountered Taliban fire.

09/11/09 NATO: ISAF service member killed in eastern Afghanistan
An International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) service member was killed yesterday in a hostile fire incident in eastern Afghanistan.

09/11/09 NATO: U.S. Service Member Killed in Eastern Afghanistan
An International Security Assistance Force service member was killed Sept. 10 in an insurgent attack while on patrol in eastern Afghanistan.

09/10/09 : DoD Identifies Marine Casualty (3 of 3)
1st Lt. Michael E. Johnson, 25, of Virginia Beach, Va...assigned to 7th Communications Battalion, 3rd Marine Headquarters Group, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Okinawa, Japan...died Sept. 8 while supporting combat operations in Kunar province, Afghanistan

09/10/09 : DoD Identifies Marine Casualty (2 of 3)
Staff Sgt. Aaron M. Kenefick, 30, of Roswell, Ga...assigned to 3rd Combat Assault Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Okinawa, Japan...died Sept. 8 while supporting combat operations in Kunar province, Afghanistan

09/10/09 : DoD Identifies Marine Casualty (1 of 3)
Gunnery Sgt. Edwin W. Johnson Jr., 31, of Columbus, Ga...assigned to 3rd Combat Assault Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Okinawa, Japan...died Sept. 8 while supporting combat operations in Kunar province, Afghanistan

09/10/09 : DoD Identifies Army Casualty
Sgt. Youvert Loney, 28, of Pohnpei, Micronesia, died Sept. 5 in Abad, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his vehicle using small arms and recoilless rifle fires. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.

09/10/09 : DoD Identifies Army Casualty
Sgt. Youvert Loney, 28, of Pohnpei, Micronesia, died Sept. 5 in Abad, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his vehicle using small arms and recoilless rifle fires. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.

09/10/09 MoD: Corporal John Harrison, The Parachute Regiment, killed in Afghanistan
Corporal John Harrison from The Parachute Regiment was killed in Afghanistan in the early hours of Wednesday 9 September 2009...Harrison, aged 29, was part of an operation to free hostages from Taliban captivity

09/10/09 : DoD Identifies Navy Casualty
Petty Officer 3rd Class James R. Layton, 22, of Riverbank, Calif., died Sept. 8 in Kunar province, Afghanistan, while supporting combat operations. He was assigned to an embedded training team with Combined Security Tranisiton Command in Afghanistan.

09/10/09 Reuters: Taliban presence seen across almost all Afghanistan
The Taliban have a significant presence in almost every corner of Afghanistan, data from a policy think tank showed on Thursday, as the country lurches into political uncertainty after a disputed presidential election.

09/10/09 WaPo: Afghan''s death in raid to free Briton sparks ire
The dramatic rescue of New York Times reporter Stephen Farrell, a British-born journalist who was plucked unharmed from a Taliban hideout in a pre-dawn raid Wednesday by British special forces, was greeted with relief by his colleagues and co-workers in Afghanistan.

09/10/09 trend.az: 13 wounded in demonstration for killing of scholar in S. Afghanistan
Thirteen people were wounded as dozens of Afghans took to the street in Ghazni city, capital of southern Ghazni province Thursday and demanding the punishment on the murders of Malawi Shams, who serves as a religious scholar in the city...

09/09/09 : DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
Capt. Joshua S. Meadows, 30, of Bastrop, Texas, died Sept. 5 while supporting combat operations in Farah province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Marine Special Operations Battalion, Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

09/09/09 WaPo: 3 European leaders call for UN Afghan conference
Three European powers called Wednesday for a new international conference on Afghanistan, hoping to accelerate and improve training of local forces and lay out a timetable in which Afghans can take back full control of their war-battered country.

09/09/09 MCT: Interpreter dies in Afghan raid that frees reporter
British commandos freed a New York Times reporter from captivity by Afghan insurgents in a pre-dawn raid Wednesday, but the reporter''s Afghan interpreter died in the firefight, NATO officials and the interpreter''s family said.

09/09/09 MCT: ''We''re pinned down'' 4 U.S. Marines die in Afghan ambush
We walked into a trap, a killing zone of relentless gunfire and rocket barrages from Afghan insurgents hidden in the mountainsides and in a fortress-like village where women and children were replenishing their ammunition.

09/09/09 BBC: UK serviceman dies in Afghan raid
A UK serviceman has been killed during a dramatic raid to rescue a kidnapped journalist in Afghanistan, the UK''s defence ministry has confirmed. He died in a firefight with the Taliban during the operation to free New York Times reporter Stephen Farrell.

09/09/09 RTE: British-Irish reporter freed in Afghanistan
NATO troops have freed a reporter, believed to hold Irish and British citizenship, who was kidnapped by the Taliban in northern Afghanistan. Stephen Farrell was abducted on Saturday along with his Afghan colleague Mohammad Sultan Munadi.

09/09/09 AP: Polish soldier dies of wounds sustained in Afghanistan in May
The Polish army says a soldier injured in Afghanistan in May has died of his wounds at a hospital in Poland. Pfc. Artur Pyc was injured May 22 in Afghanistan''s eastern Ghazni province when a roadside bomb exploded under the mine-resistant armored vehicle he was driving.

http://icasualties.org/oef/

Notes
09/09/2009

We have recovered the data for military fatalities for both the Iraq (OIF) and Afghanistan (OEF) sites.
We still have a ways to go until both sites return to full functionality, but with a little luck everything should be back to normal soon.
I want to personally thank all of you who have donated and encourage others who find this site beneficial to make a modest contribution to iCasualties to help defray the cost of necessary server upgrades and daily operations.
I also owe a special thanks to Mr. Ellis and Mr. Stasz for their assistance in collecting data.

Michael White
iCasualties.org
News

09/11/09 Reuters: Prisoners riot at Iraq's Abu Ghraib
Prisoners started a fire during a riot at Iraq''s Abu Ghraib prison, U.S. and Iraqi officials said, resulting in some injuries at the jail that became synonymous with U.S. detainee abuse.

09/10/09 : DoD Identifies Army Casualties (3 of 3)
Staff Sgt. Shannon M. Smith, 31, of Marion, Ohio...died of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their vehicle with an explosive device Sept. 8 in Baji, Iraq. They were assigned to the 545th Military Police Company, Arctic Military Police Battalion, U.S. Army, Alaska, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

09/10/09 : DoD Identifies Army Casualties (2 of 3)
Pfc. Thomas F. Lyons, 20, of Fernley, Nev...died of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their vehicle with an explosive device Sept. 8 in Baji, Iraq. They were assigned to the 545th Military Police Company, Arctic Military Police Battalion, U.S. Army, Alaska, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

09/10/09 : DoD Identifies Army Casualties (1 of 3)
Staff Sgt. Shannon M. Smith, 31, of Marion, Ohio...died of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their vehicle with an explosive device Sept. 8 in Baji, Iraq They were assigned to the 545th Military Police Company, Arctic Military Police Battalion, U.S. Army, Alaska, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

09/10/09 Reuters: Roadside bomb wounds 6 civilians, 2 policemn in Baghdad
A roadside bomb wounded six civilians and two policemen in central Baghdad''s Karrada district, police sai

09/10/09 Reuters: Gunmen kill civilian and policeman in Mosul
Gunmen in a speeding car sprayed an area of northern Mosul with bullets, killing a civilian on Wednesday, police said...Gunmen opened fire on and wounded a traffic policeman in eastern Mosul on Wednesday, but the Iraqi army returned fire and killed two of them, police said.

09/10/09 MCT: Woman survived Iraq bomb, but now she can''t be found
Shadia Abdulbaki survived a horrific bomb blast, but she''s been lost ever since. Is she wandering the streets? Did she become an amnesiac? Did someone take her in? No one can say.

09/10/09 Reuters: Truck bomb in north Iraq Kurd village kills 20
A suicide bomber drove a truck packed with explosives into a Kurdish village in north Iraq before dawn on Thursday, killing at least 20 villagers and wounding 27, Iraqi police said.

09/10/09 Reuters: Iraq market bombs kill four, wound 29
Two roadside bombs exploded in quick succession in a popular market south of Baghdad on Thursday, killing four people and wounding 29, Iraqi police said.

09/10/09 AFP: 2 dead, 9 wounded in bomb attack south of Baghdad
At least two people were killed and nine wounded on Thursday when a bomb exploded in a market south of Baghdad, an Iraqi defence ministry official said. The attack happened in Mahmudiyah, a town 30 kilometres (19 miles) south of Baghdad...

09/10/09 AP: Wounded Troops Recover as US War Coverage Wanes
A year after Capt. Sam Brown was set ablaze when a bomb blew up his Humvee in Afghanistan, the 25-year-old West Point graduate endures a steady schedule of painful surgery and stretching to break up knotty burn scars.

09/09/09 : DoD Identifies Air Force Casualty
1st Lt. Joseph D. Helton, 24, of Monroe Ga., died Sept. 8 near Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his vehicle with an improvised explosive devise. He was assigned to the 6th Security Forces Squadron, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.

09/09/09 MCT: Maliki purge of top Iraqi security officials creates a storm
Government critics and independent legislators accused Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki on Tuesday of launching a purge of senior security officials in order to weaken political rivals ahead of winter elections.

09/09/09 Reuters: Car bomb kills at least eight in Kirkuk
A car bomb killed at least eight people from a single family in Iraq''s disputed city of Kirkuk, 250 km (155 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.

09/09/09 Reuters: Policeman and civilian killed in Mosul
A roadside bomb killed an off-duty Iraqi army officer and wounded two other civilians north of Mosul, police said...Gunmen killed a civilian in Mosul, 390 (240 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.

09/09/09 Reuters: 29 Iraqi security officials charged with negligence
An investigative council has charged 29 Iraqi security officials with negligence relating to two truck bombs outside government ministries in Baghdad last month that killed 95 people, Baghdad security spokesman Qassim al-Moussawi said.

09/09/09 Reuters: Iraqi forces kill two men during a pre-dawn raid in southeastern Baghdad
Iraqi forces, backed by U.S. troops, killed two men during a pre-dawn raid in southeastern Baghdad, witnesses and the U.S. military said. The U.S. military said the force returned fire on the two men after coming under fire themselves.

09/09/09 Reuters: Motorcycle bomb kills 1 civilian, wounds 7 in southern Baghdad
A bomb planted on a motorcycle killed one civilian and wounded seven others on Tuesday in southern Baghdad, police said.

09/09/09 Reuters: Roadside bomb wounds 3 Iraqi soldiers in Baghdad
A roadside bomb wounded three soldiers on Tuesday north of Mosul, 390 km (240 miles) north of Baghdad, police said.

09/09/09 Reuters: Car bomb wounds 3 civilians in Baghdad
A bomb attached to a car wounded three civilians in the Baghdad''s western district of Jamiaa on Tuesday, police said.

http://icasualties.org/Iraq/index.aspx

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:40:42 pm »
A lot of that reminds me of that Star Trek (TOS) episode where they are fighting all their wars by computer and people step into a disintegration chamber - like it was nothing.

I think the end point was that war needed to have all it's 'veneer' ripped off of it, and exposed for the truly brutal and evil thing is it - that's what will get people to want to stop it.

Yeah, once the disintegration machines were destroyed, they realized the war would be real if they didn't find a way to make peace.

Although I wonder how long the peace actually lasted?
War Is Peace - Freedom Is Slavery - Ignorance Is Strength

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline Harconen

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:18:18 am »
COLUMN-Undercounting deaths in Iraq, Afghanistan:Bernd Debusmann

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:31am EDT
(Bernd Debusmann is a Reuters columnist. The opinions expressed are his own)
http://www.reuters.com/article/asiaCrisis/idUSLA119892

By Bernd Debusmann

WASHINGTON, Sept 10 (Reuters) - By most counts, the death toll of U.S. soldiers in America's wars in Iraq and Afghanistan stood at 5,157 in the second week of September. Add at least 1,360 private contractors working for the U.S. and the number tops 6,500.

Contractor deaths and injuries (around 30,000 so far) are rarely reported but they highlight the United States' steadily growing dependence on private enterprise.

It's a dependence some say has slid into incurable addiction. Contractor ranks in Iraq and Afghanistan have swollen to just under a quarter million. They outnumber U.S. troops in Afghanistan and they almost match uniformed soldiers in Iraq.

The present ratio of about one contractor for every uniformed member of the U.S. armed forces is more than double that of every other major conflict in American history, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

That means the world's only superpower cannot fight its war nor protect its civilian officials, diplomats and embassies without support from contractors.

"As the military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan have progressed, the military services, defense agencies and other stakeholder agencies...continue to increase their reliance on contractors. Contractors are now literally in the center of the battlefield in unprecedented numbers," according to a report to Congress by the bipartisan Commission on Wartime Contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"In previous wars, the military police protected bases and the battle space as other military service members engaged and pursued the enemy," said the report.

In listing the 1,360-plus contractor casualties, it said that criticism of the present system and suggestions for reforming it "in no way diminish their sacrifices."

So why are they not routinely added to military casualty counts? And why should they? A full accounting for total casualties is important because both Congress and the public tend to gauge a war's success or failure by the size of the force deployed and the number of killed and wounded, according to George Washington university scholar Steven Schooner.

In other words: the higher the casualty number, the more difficult it is for political and military leaders to convince a sceptical public that a war is worth fighting, particularly a war that promises to be long, such as the conflict in Afghanistan. Polls show that a majority of Americans already think the Afghan war is not worth fighting.

Figures on deaths and injuries among the vast ranks of civilians in war zones are tracked by the U.S. Department of Labor on the basis of claims under an insurance policy, the Defense Base Act, which all U.S. contracting companies and subcontractors must take out for the civilians they employ outside the United States.

EXPENDABLE PROFITEERS, ROGUES?

The Labor Department compiles the statistics on a quarterly basis but only releases them in response to requests under the Freedom of Information Act. This can take weeks. The Department gives no details of the nationalities of the contractors, saying that doing so would "constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy" under the U.S. Privacy Act.

Writing in last autumn's Parameters, the quarterly journal of the U.S. Army War College, Schooner said that an accurate tally was critical to any discussion of the costs and benefits of the military's efforts in the wars. What's more, the American public needs to know that their government is delegating to the private sector "the responsibility to stand in harm's way and, if required, die for America."

Schooner wrote it was troubling that few Americans considered the deaths of contractors relevant or significant even though many of them performed roles carried out by uniformed military only a generation ago. "Many...concede that they perceive contractor personnel as expendable profiteers, adventure seekers, cowboys, or rogue elements not entitled to the same respect or value due to the military."

That's not surprising after a series of ugly incidents involving armed security contractors. They make up for a small proportion of the total (about 8 percent) but account for almost all the headlines that have deepened negative perceptions and prompted labels from mercenary and merchant of death to "the coalition of the billing."

In the most notorious incident, two years ago, employees of the company then known as Blackwater opened fire in a crowded Baghdad square, killing 17 Iraqis. Five of the Blackwater shooters, who were working for the Department of State, have been indicted on manslaughter and weapons charges.

The Pentagon describes private contractors as a "force multiplier" because they let soldiers concentrate on military missions. Some of the actions of private security contractors could be termed a "perception multiplier." Such as the after-hours antics of contractors from the company ArmorGroup North America guarding the U.S. embassy in Kabul.

Shaking off the image of rogues became even more difficult for private security contractors after a Washington-based watchdog group, the Project on Government Oversight, accompanied a detailed report on misconduct and morale problems among the guard force with photographs showing nearly nude, drunken employees in a variety of obscene poses and fondling each other.

Whether contractors, even rogue elements and cowboys, should not be counted in the toll of American wars is another matter. Doing so would be part of the transparency Barack Obama promised when he ran for president. (You can contact the author at [email protected])

Offline Harconen

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 12:27:45 am »
Soldier suicide rate hits record high

115 dead in '07; Army says toll climbing in '08

Colonel Elspeth Ritchie discussed efforts to understand suicide among US soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan yesterday. (J. Scott Applewhite/associated press)

By Pauline Jelinek
Associated Press / May 30, 2008
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2008/05/30/soldier_suicide_rate_hits_record_high/

WASHINGTON - Army soldiers committed suicide in 2007 at the highest rate on record, and the toll is climbing ever higher this year as long war deployments stretch on.
more stories like this

At least 115 soldiers killed themselves last year, up from 102 the previous year, the Army said yesterday.

Nearly a third of them died at the battlefront, 32 in Iraq and four in Afghanistan. But 26 percent had never been deployed to either conflict.

"We see a lot of things that are going on in the war which do contribute - mainly the longtime and multiple deployments away from home, exposure to really terrifying and horrifying things, the easy availability of loaded weapons, and a force that's very, very busy right now," said Colonel Elspeth Ritchie, psychiatric consultant to the Army surgeon general.

"And so all of those together we think are part of what may contribute, especially if somebody's having difficulties already," she said at a Pentagon news conference.

Some common factors among those who took their own lives were troubled relationships, work problems, and legal or financial difficulties, officials said.

More US troops also died overall in hostilities in 2007 than in any of the previous years in Iraq and Afghanistan. Violence increased in Afghanistan with a Taliban resurgence, and the rate of deaths of US personnel increased in Iraq even as violence there declined in the second half of the year.

Increasing the strain on the force last year was the extension of deployments from 12 months to 15 months, a practice ending this year.

The 115 confirmed suicides among active-duty soldiers and National Guard and Reserve troops who had been activated amounted to a rate of 18.8 per 100,000 troops - the highest since the Army began keeping records in 1980.

Two other deaths are suspected suicides but are still under investigation.

So far this year, the trend is comparable to last year, said Lieutenant Colonel Thomas E. Languirand, head of command policies and programs.

As of Monday, there had been 38 confirmed suicides in 2008 and 12 more deaths that are suspected suicides under investigation, he said.

The suicide rate continues to rise despite a host of efforts the Army has made to improve the mental health of a force under unprecedented stress from the longer-than-expected war in Iraq and the long and repeated tours of duty it has prompted.

The efforts include more training and education programs for troops and their families. Officials also have hired more mental health workers, increased screening to measure the psychological health of soldiers, and worked to reduce any stigma that keeps them from going for treatment when they have symptoms of depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress, or other emotional problems.

"More than any time in history, our soldiers and their commanders are armed with information about combat and its impact on psychological health," said Brigadier General Rhonda L. Cornum, assistant surgeon general for force protection.

"We still believe there is more to be done, and we are committed to maximizing prevention" and treating those who need help, she said.

Suicides have been rising nearly each year of the five-year-old war in Iraq and the nearly seven years of war in Afghanistan. The 115 deaths last year and 102 in 2006 followed 85 in 2005 and 67 in 2004. The rate of 18.8 per 100,000 last year compared with a rate of 17.5 in 2006 and 9.8 in 2002 - the first full year after the start of the war in Afghanistan.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the overall suicide rate in the United States was about 11 per 100,000 in 2004, the latest year for which the agency has figures. The Army said that when civilian rates are adjusted to cover the same age and gender mix that exists in the Army, the civilian rate is more like 19.5 per 100,000.

The Army, which is the largest force serving in both wars, is the only service to release annual figures on suicides it gathers every year by polling troops at the war fronts on mental health issues.

Offline Harconen

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 12:33:45 am »
When Soldiers Kill Themselves

Friday, January 30, 2009, 17:21  By GSerrano
http://trendsupdates.com/when-soldiers-kill-themselves/

US soldier in Iraq

Suicide among US soldiers in active service is at record high. The number of soldiers who committed suicide in 2008 rose to about 143 from 115 the previous year. Experts attribute this fact to the attendant pressure in times of war. Army statistics released recently showed that 30 percent of those who committed suicide last year were deployed at the time of their death. Over three quarters of them were in their first deployment.

35 percent of the soldiers who committed suicide had not been deployed before, another 35 percent were killed after being sent into combat, in most cases a year after returning to their bases. The suicide rate last year among soldiers even surpassed the US rate of civilian suicides.

The US army addresses the growing problem of soldier suicide with suicide prevention programs that identify risks to mental health. Additionally, there have been campaigns to reduce the stigma that prevents soldiers from seeking treatment.

Stress is a definite factor behind the increased suicide rate. The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have taken their toll on the people at the frontlines. Aside from being financially costly, these wars have had a high human cost as well. No human being can ever get inured with the harshness of war. This escalating rate of soldier suicides is but proof that the wars launched by the US have, indeed, been depleting the humanity out of humans. No one wins in a war. If only Bush was sensitive enough to have know that.

Offline Harconen

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 12:40:26 am »
PTSD is the primary suicide risk factor for veterans

Researchers working with Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans have found that post-traumatic stress disorder, the current most common mental disorder among veterans returning from service in the Middle East, is associated with an increased risk for thoughts of suicide.

Results of the study indicated that veterans who screened positive for PTSD were four times more likely to report suicide-related thoughts relative to veterans without the disorder.

The research, published in the Journal of Traumatic Stress, establishes PTSD as a risk factor for thoughts of suicide in Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans. This holds true, even after accounting for other psychiatric disorder diagnoses, such as substance abuse and depression. Veterans who screened positive for PTSD and two or more comorbid mental disorders were significantly more likely to experience thoughts of suicide relative to veterans with PTSD alone.

As many as forty-six percent of veterans in the study http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090825151341.htm
experienced suicidal thoughts or behaviors in the month prior to seeking care, and of those veterans, three percent reported an actual attempt within four months prior to seeking the care. Suicide-related thoughts and behaviors discovered in a returning veteran who has been diagnosed with PTSD, especially in the presence of other mental disorders, may suggest an increased risk for suicide.

I don’t know if you ever “get over” PTSD. My closest friend for most of my life provided his own therapy by becoming an activist against war. He was the most decorated soldier in WW2 from our home state. Had 16 months to think about it in a VA hospital after he came home on a stretcher.

Everyone thought he was cool with what he had been through. D-Day. At Bastogne. At the liberation of Buchenwald.

I knew better.

http://eideard.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/ptsd-is-the-primary-suicide-risk-factor-for-veterans/

Offline Harconen

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 12:49:28 am »
Suicide among US troops

http://jrenseyblog.wordpress.com/

Doubtless you have read the recent reports of some of our soldiers in Iraq committing suicide. Those reports are shocking. This is another reason I have lifted up my voice against the psychological way of counseling and particularly the psychiatric medications that are destroying so many people. Click on the following link for more information on this.

(http://breggin.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=204&Itemid=100)

Please, pastors…grasp the fact that taking psychiatric medications is not like taking an aspirin for a headache. Practitioners like to call them “medications” in order to maintain their medical image for insurance purposes and credibility. Pills like Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and similar “meds”  are designed to skew the brain in the attempt to change the way one responds to the stimuli of life—slowing down, speeding up, or altering the way the brain processes information. Serious physical and/or mental side effects can result. Follow the reports of those who murder their families, shoot their classmates or colleagues at work and you will find that virtually all of them are on psychiatric medications. Doctors, many of whom are paid in some way by the pharmaceutical companies, are prescribing them for nearly any reason. Inform yourselves, brethren. “Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves” (Matthew 10:16)

Offline Harconen

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 12:55:45 am »
As wars drag on, suicides among U.S. soldiers set new peak

Last Updated: Thursday, January 29, 2009 | 9:33 AM ET
The Associated Press
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2009/01/29/army-suicides.html

Suicide among American soldiers increased again last year and is at a nearly three-decade high, senior U.S. defence officials told the Associated Press on Thursday.

At least 128 soldiers killed themselves in 2008, said two officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the data has not been formally released.

The final count likely will be considerably higher because more than a dozen other suspicious deaths are still being investigated and could also turn out to be self-inflicted.

The new figure of more than 128 compares to 115 in 2007 and 102 in 2006 and is the highest since record-keeping began in 1980.

It also calculates to a rate of 20.2 per 100,000 soldiers, which is higher than the adjusted civilian rate for the first time since the Vietnam War, officials said.

The U.S. army planned to announce the figures at a news conference later Thursday.

Officials have said repeatedly that troops are under tremendous and unprecedented stress because of repeated and long tours of duty because of the simultaneous wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Yearly increases in suicides have been recorded since 2004, when there were 64, about half the number now. And they've occurred despite increased training, prevention programs, increased psychiatric staff and other army efforts to stem the rise.

Officials are expected to announce additional attempts to help soldiers at the news conference.

When studying individual cases, officials said they found that the most common factors for suicides were soldiers suffering problems with their personal relationships, legal or financial issues and problems on the job.

The new army report follows one earlier this month showing that the marine corps recorded more suicides last year than any year since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

That report said 41 marines were possible or confirmed suicides in 2008, or 16.8 per 100,000 troops. The marine rate remained unchanged because the corps is increasing in size, officials said.

Ground forces bear brunt of wars against insurgents

Soldiers and marines have borne the burden of the two wars, which have required more use of ground forces to fight the insurgencies. But the numbers kept by the services only show part of the picture because they do not cover troops who have returned to civilian life.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs tracks the number of suicides among those who have left the military. The VA said there were 144 suicides among the nearly 500,000 service members who left the military from 2002 to 2005 after fighting in at least one of the wars.

The true incidence of suicide among veterans is not known, according to a report last year by the Congressional Research Service. Based on numbers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the VA estimates that 18 veterans a day, or 6,500 a year, take their own lives, but that number includes vets from all previous wars.

In October, the U.S. army and the National Institute of Mental Health announced a five-year, $50-million US research program into the factors behind soldier suicides and how to prevent them.

Offline Harconen

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 01:02:40 am »
Army Releases July Suicide Data

Written by Stephen Rhodes on August 13, 2009
http://www.therepublicantemple.com/2009/08/13/army-releases-july-suicide-data/

The Army released suicide data for the month of July today.  Among active-duty soldiers there were eight potential suicides in July.   In June, the Army reported no confirmed suicides and nine potential suicides among active-duty soldiers.  Since the June report, four of the nine potential suicides have been confirmed and five remain under investigation.

There have been 96 reported active-duty Army suicides during the period Jan. 1, 2009 – July 31, 2009.  Of these, 62 have been confirmed, and 34 are pending determination of manner of death.  For the same period in 2008, there were 79 suicides among active-duty soldiers.

During July 2009, among reserve component soldiers not on active duty, there were four potential suicides.  During the period Jan. 1, 2009 – July 31, 2009, among that same group, there have been 17 confirmed suicides and 28 potential suicides; the potential suicides are currently under investigation to determine the manner of death.  For the same period in 2008, there were 32 suicides among reserve soldiers not on active duty.

The Army’s Suicide Prevention Task Force has implemented a number of improvements to the Army’s health promotion, risk reduction and suicide prevention programs in recent weeks. These include completion of major revisions to Army health promotion policy and augmenting behavioral health staffs at many installations to enhance access to counseling services for soldiers and families.

“It’s not that the Army lacks programs to confront the problem of suicide,” said Brig. Gen. Colleen McGuire, director, Army Suicide Prevention Task Force. “The long-term challenge is determining which programs are most effective for our soldiers and ensuring Army leaders, from junior non-commissioned officers to the most senior leaders, know how to help their soldiers take advantage of these programs.”

Soldiers and families in need of crisis assistance should contact Military OneSource or the Defense Center of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury Outreach Center.  Trained consultants are available from both organizations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

The Military OneSource toll-free number for those residing in the continental U.S. is 1-800-342-9647, their Web site address is http://www.militaryonesource.com .  Overseas personnel should refer to the Military OneSource Web site for dialing instructions for their specific location.

The DCOE Outreach Center can be contacted at 1-866-966-1020, via electronic mail at [email protected] and at http://www.dcoe.health.mil/resources.aspx .

The Army’s most current suicide prevention information is located at http://www.armyg1.army.mil/hr/suicide/.

Source: Department of Defense

Offline Harconen

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 01:06:13 am »
Take In A Deep Breath America!

As far as suicides among active duty soldiers and veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are concerned, we in America have just seen the tip of the iceberg.
Three tours will be tripple the chance of suicide.
Four tours will be four times the chance of suicide.
Soldiers deleted like unwanted e-mails.
Take in a deep breath America, the wars are coming home to the stuffed closets of your mind.
When I was in Vietnam toward the end of the war, this is what I saw.

Blood on my hands, brains in my lap.

Mike Hastie
U.S. Army Medic
Vietnam 1970-71
February 9, 2009

http://www.thewe.cc/weplanet/news/armed_force/us_soldiers_committing_suicide_vietnam_iraq.html

Offline Harconen

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 01:10:42 am »
American Friends of Tel Aviv University: Keeping the Suicidal Soldier Alive

According to a recent Washington Post study, approximately 20% of U.S. soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan are psychologically damaged. http://gawilli.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/dove-hands.jpgAmong them are a substantial number with post-traumatic stress disorder PTSD, and the high rate of suicide among PTSD sufferers has become unacceptable to Army commanders and the soldiers’ families. Thanks to new research from Tel Aviv University, however, doctors will now be able to forecast a soldier’s chances of falling prey to PTSD, with the chance of intervening to prevent military-related suicides.

Photo: Prof. Talma Hendler, Tel Aviv UniversityProf. Talma Hendler of TAU’s Department of Psychology and Psychiatry and the founding director of the Tel Aviv Functional Brain Center has developed a new predictive tool for detecting at-risk soldiers. The tool will permit clinicians to diagnose and treat these soldiers immediately before the stressors of combat lead to chronic psychological problems.

Studying a group of 50 Israeli soldiers — trained medics who experienced extreme stress in live combat zones — Prof. Hendler and her graduate student Roee Admon in collaboration with Col. Dr. Gad Lubin from the Israel Defense Forces were able to predict which soldiers would develop significant increases in stress symptoms such as mood decline, intrusive thoughts, and sleep disturbance. This May, Prof. Hendler was given a special award from the U.S. Army Commanding General of Medical Research for her advances. The research was published in the August issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science.

Prof. Hendler’s research shows functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) can be used to forecast which soldiers might be vulnerable to stress psychopathology in the future. The non-invasive imaging method records the brain activity of military personnel before they enter active duty. Using this baseline as a reference, the researchers can predict which soldier is more prone to exhibit after exposure combat-related stress symptoms — symptoms that can trigger PTSD or major depression.  – af

http://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2009/09/03/american-friends-of-tel-aviv-university-keeping-the-suicidal-soldier-alive/

Offline Harconen

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 01:22:57 am »
"Eyes Wide Open: The Human Cost of the Iraq War"

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200605/13/eng20060513_265353.html

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 09:14:51 am »

Very good work Harconen ... thanks.

Here's one more piece from your link:

http://www.thewe.cc/weplanet/news/armed_force/us_soldiers_committing_suicide_vietnam_iraq.html

Betrayal — The Lethal Injection

I believe the self-inflicted destructive force behind PTSD, is a silent enemy called betrayal. It is so insidious and pervasive, that it has the character of a bounty hunter. Betrayal by one's own government, based on lies to justify going to war, is a vicious preying upon those who do not know.

It totally dismantles the victim's belief system. The word, 'Trust', sinks to the bottom of the mind.
And, well too often, this profound psychological wound leads to suicide. When the survivor returns from years of mental exile, to finally take the witness stand, he or she often speaks with the artless skill of a severly abused child who has just blurted out some blatant fact of honesty.
It is the kind of honesty that catches people off guard, leaving them speechless.

The survivor exposes truth with such simplistic detail that becomes an indictment against all who had knowledge of war's real criminal intent. The survivor's testimony can be so compelling it reveals the ultimate evidence: Lying Is The Most Powerful Weapon In War.

I was so filled with rage after returning from Vietnam that for the next twenty years I wanted to take every political hawk in America, and rub their faces in the reality of the Vietnam War, just like someone would rub a puppy's nose in the carpet after it wet on the floor.

The only difference is, the wet area on the carpet would be the blood of American teenage boys.
I would be brutally betrayed in Vietnam, and later would returned to an unfamiliar home in a coffin draped with deceit.Deception so the corporate Godfathers of our country could fill their greedy coffers with enormous war profits.

As a medic in Vietnam, who saw American soldiers commit suicide in Vietnam, I had friends who took their own lives when they came home. Once I understood this untouchable truth, I understood the lies. I did not serve for the cause of freedom — I served Big Business Banking in America for the cause of profit.

Forty years ago before I entered the U.S. military, if someone had told me what I have just written these sentences, I would have told them they were a damn liar, and unpatriotic.
That was forty years ago, before I ever understood.

Mike Hastie
U.S. Army Medic
Vietnam 1970-71
February 9, 2009

Offline Harconen

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 07:16:37 pm »
Howabout an unexpurgated face of war

By Eric Verlo
NOT MY TRIBE - 7/29/2008 8:42PM MDT
http://www.notmytribe.com/2008/howabout-an-unexpurgated-face-of-war-83922.html

The US media was not permitted to depict fallen soldiers, in or out of the coffin. Next military censors forbade photos of US wounded. Most recently US soldiers have been under orders to prohibit the press from photographing them at all, to promote the illusion that our Iraqi surrogates alone are handling security. How infuriated our officials must have been to see this photograph in the international press.

Do Americans not want to see their fallen boys? In my recent experience with death, I most certainly wanted to see what happened straight up. Do the families of soldiers really not want to see how their loved one met his/her fate? What utter bullshit! If they don’t I do. Someone should care enough for the poor lost life!

Hopefully the total control our military has been asserting over media images will result in more outright mutiny on the part of international photo journalists.

Not long ago, a sequence of photos which documented the aftermath of an IED led the DoD to forbid all depictions of even wounded soldiers. The picture below shows a victim trying vainly to join his comrades who made it to cover. He didn’t die. But this image most certainly is dispiriting to Americans watching safely from their homes, who are losing their stamina for an ugly war.

Before coverage of operations in Iraq were safely controlled by only embedded reporters, freelance photographers were able to record images reminiscent of WWII, Korea and Vietnam. These GIs fell in the assault on Fallujah. Fortunately for the Pentagon, Iraq is now too dangerous for journalist who don’t have American minders.

A recent so-called breach of an embed contract yielded images of the aftermath of a suicide-bomb attack. The American photographer incurred heavy criticism for publishing the pictures which his Marine unit had ordered him to erase. But they were published in B&W, which invokes the famous WWII Pacific Theater dead, but it does lessen the realism, doesn’t it? These casualties seem more distant than our losses in Vietnam. And how do you reconcile that the simultaneous photos of the Iraqi casualties were printed adjacent in color? We can handle seeing the red of their blood, but not ours?

Offline Harconen

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 08:02:34 pm »
Combat In Afghanistan

February 26, 2009 2:59 PM

Enemy combatants for U.S. troops are on the rise in Afghanistan. Lara Logan reports from a forward operating base near Pakistan

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4531399n

Offline Harconen

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 09:23:40 pm »
Dear friends,

I started this topic with a title "Killing America's Kids". Behind those killings of America's kids are the NWO monsters with human faces. So we will see what NWO monsters are doing to Gods children all around the world.

Let us pray to God to stop them, and to have mercy on their souls, if they still have one.

aviana

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 09:51:03 pm »
Oh my.  Harconen - I hope you don't mind if I share this in the thread.  It is kind of related.

Today (9/12), I left a hotel in Baltimore to catch a flight home to Houston.  Instead of taking the light rail, I changed my mind and took the shuttle cab that was already waiting.  At the next stop two dear old ladies got in and we started chatting.  They asked what I was doing in Baltimore and I explained that I had been at the Carenet conference - a national pro-life ministry event, and how we were receiving training and encouragement as we fly in the face of Satan, saving babies in the womb.  She was very moved by this and told me she was Catholic, and very pro-life.  She went on to say how she is so bittered by the many lives lost through not only abortion, but war also.  She eloquently shared her feelings about the needless deaths of so many. "Surely history shows us that war does not work!", she cited.

Then, with tears in her eyes, she told me that she lost her son, who was in the 2nd tower on 9/11.  I comforted her and told her how it was because of 9/11 that I began seeking and found salvation in Jesus Christ. I was living in England at the time, and now here I am in the US, actively involved in the pro-life scene, saving lives.  Her son did not die in vain.

This was what I could only call a divine encounter.  Her resolute stance against the casualties of war, regardless of her son's death on 9/11, was beautiful.  No other word for it.

Offline Harconen

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 10:03:07 pm »
I would also like to give thank to the owner of this site on the possibility of spreading the truth. An excellent man, very brave man, with a big heart. Soul that wants to save everyone.

Offline Harconen

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 10:12:56 pm »
Oh my.  Harconen - I hope you don't mind if I share this in the thread.  It is kind of related.

Today (9/12), I left a hotel in Baltimore to catch a flight home to Houston.  Instead of taking the light rail, I changed my mind and took the shuttle cab that was already waiting.  At the next stop two dear old ladies got in and we started chatting.  They asked what I was doing in Baltimore and I explained that I had been at the Carenet conference - a national pro-life ministry event, and how we were receiving training and encouragement as we fly in the face of Satan, saving babies in the womb.  She was very moved by this and told me she was Catholic, and very pro-life.  She went on to say how she is so bittered by the many lives lost through not only abortion, but war also.  She eloquently shared her feelings about the needless deaths of so many. "Surely history shows us that war does not work!", she cited.

Then, with tears in her eyes, she told me that she lost her son, who was in the 2nd tower on 9/11.  I comforted her and told her how it was because of 9/11 that I began seeking and found salvation in Jesus Christ. I was living in England at the time, and now here I am in the US, actively involved in the pro-life scene, saving lives.  Her son did not die in vain.

This was what I could only call a divine encounter.  Her resolute stance against the casualties of war, regardless of her son's death on 9/11, was beautiful.  No other word for it.

Dear aviana, I don't mind that you post your story. It is not of topic, it is great and I like it very much. Please continue to fight for human life's, and God will send you a signs like that one that you are on right path.

Love & Light

Offline Harconen

Re: Killing America's Kids and Driving Them Insane
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 10:43:15 pm »
[NOTE: The following posts are kept as close as possible to the originator's posts from http://masters-of-war.org . All the credit for the work and flow of information should be given to the founder of said site.]

"Truly, I say to you:
as you did it to one of the least
of these my brethren,

... you did it to me."  

Depleted Uranium:

Dirty Bombs, Dirty Missiles, Dirty Bullets

A death sentence here and abroad

Photos of Iraqi babies whose mothers were exposed to depleted uranium.

Vietnam was a chemical war for oil, permanently contaminating large regions and countries downriver with Agent Orange, and environmentally the most devastating war in world history. But since 1991, the U.S. has staged four nuclear wars using depleted uranium weaponry, which, like Agent Orange, meets the U.S. government definition of Weapons of Mass Destruction. Vast regions in the Middle East and Central Asia have been permanently contaminated with radiation.

And what about our soldiers? Terry Jemison of the Department of Veterans Affairs reported this week to the American Free Press that "Gulf-era veterans" now on medical disability since 1991 number 518,739, with only 7,035 reported wounded in Iraq in that same 14-year period.

This week the American Free Press dropped a "dirty bomb" on the Pentagon by reporting that eight out of 20 men who served in one unit in the 2003 U.S. military offensive in Iraq now have malignancies. That means that 40 percent of the soldiers in that unit have developed malignancies in just 16 months.

Since these soldiers were exposed to vaccines and depleted uranium (DU) only, this is strong evidence for researchers and scientists working on this issue, that DU is the definitive cause of Gulf War Syndrome. Vaccines are not known to cause cancer. One of the first published researchers on Gulf War Syndrome, who also served in 1991 in Iraq, Dr. Andras Korényi-Both, is in agreement with Barbara Goodno from the Department of Defense's Deployment Health Support Directorate, that in this war soldiers were not exposed to chemicals, pesticides, bioagents or other suspect causes this time to confuse the issue.

This powerful new evidence is blowing holes in the cover-up perpetrated by the Pentagon and three presidential administrations ever since DU was first used in 1991 in the Persian Gulf War. Fourteen years after the introduction of DU on the battlefield in 1991, the long-term effects have revealed that DU is a death sentence and very nasty stuff.

Scientists studying the biological effects of uranium in the 1960s reported that it targets the DNA. Marion Fulk, a nuclear physical chemist retired from the Livermore Nuclear Weapons Lab and formerly involved with the Manhattan Project, interprets the new and rapid malignancies in soldiers from the 2003 war as "spectacular and a matter of concern."

This evidence shows that of the three effects which DU has on biological systems - radiation, chemical and particulate ­ the particulate effect from nano-size particles is the most dominant one immediately after exposure and targets the Master Code in the DNA. This is bad news, but it explains why DU causes a myriad of diseases which are difficult to define.

In simple words, DU "trashes the body." When asked if the main purpose for using it was for destroying things and killing people, Fulk was more specific: "I would say that it is the perfect weapon for killing lots of people."

Soldiers developing malignancies so quickly since 2003 can be expected to develop multiple cancers from independent causes. This phenomenon has been reported by doctors in hospitals treating civilians following NATO bombing with DU in Yugoslavia in 1998-1999 and the U.S. military invasion of Iraq using DU for the first time in 1991. Medical experts report that this phenomenon of multiple malignancies from unrelated causes has been unknown until now and is a new syndrome associated with internal DU exposure.

Just 467 U.S. personnel were wounded in the three-week Persian Gulf War in 1990-1991. Out of 580,400 soldiers who served in Gulf War I, 11,000 are dead, and by 2000 there were 325,000 on permanent medical disability. This astounding number of disabled vets means that a decade later, 56 percent of those soldiers who served now have medical problems.

The number of disabled vets reported up to 2000 has been increasing by 43,000 every year. Brad Flohr of the Department of Veterans Affairs told American Free Press that he believes there are more disabled vets now than even after World War II.

They brought it home

Not only were soldiers exposed to DU on and off the battlefields, but they brought it home. DU in the semen of soldiers internally contaminated their wives, partners and girlfriends. Tragically, some women in their 20s and 30s who were sexual partners of exposed soldiers developed endometriosis and were forced to have hysterectomies because of health problems.

In a group of 251 soldiers from a study group in Mississippi who had all had normal babies before the Gulf War, 67 percent of their post-war babies were born with severe birth defects. They were born with missing legs, arms, organs or eyes or had immune system and blood diseases. In some veterans' families now, the only normal or healthy members of the family are the children born before the war.

The Department of Veterans Affairs has stated that they do not keep records of birth defects occurring in families of veterans.

"Severe deformity of arms. This child was born to a US Gulf veteran."

"Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy."

- Henry Kissinger, quoted in "Kiss the Boys Goodbye: How the United States Betrayed Its Own POW's in Vietnam"

Offline Harconen

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2009, 10:54:07 pm »

"Extreme hydrocephalus; deformity of face, body and ear.
The line running down the right hand side of the head would appear to show that potentially two heads were forming."

How did they hide it?

Before a new weapons system can be used, it must be fully tested. The blueprint for depleted uranium weapons is a 1943 declassified document from the Manhattan Project.

Harvard President and physicist James B. Conant, who developed poison gas in World War I, was brought into the Manhattan Project by the father of presidential candidate John Kerry. Kerry's father served at a high level in the Manhattan Project and was a CIA agent.

Conant was chair of the S-1 Poison Gas Committee, which recommended developing poison gas weapons from the radioactive trash of the atomic bomb project in World War II. At that time, it was known that radioactive materials dispersed in bombs from the air, from land vehicles or on the battlefield produced very fine radioactive dust which would penetrate all protective clothing, any gas mask or filter or the skin. By contaminating the lungs and blood, it could kill or cause illness very quickly.

They also recommended it as a permanent terrain contaminant, which could be used to destroy populations by contaminating water supplies and agricultural land with the radioactive dust.

The first DU weapons system was developed for the Navy in 1968, and DU weapons were given to and used by Israel in 1973 under U.S. supervision in the Yom Kippur war against the Arabs.

The Phalanx weapons system, using DU, was tested on the USS Bigelow out of Hunters Point Naval Shipyard in 1977, and DU weapons have been sold by the U.S. to 29 countries.

Military research report summaries detail the testing of DU from 1974-1999 at military testing grounds, bombing and gunnery ranges and at civilian labs under contract. Today 42 states are contaminated with DU from manufacture, testing and deployment.

Women living around these facilities have reported increases in endometriosis, birth defects in babies, leukemia in children and cancers and other diseases in adults. Thousands of tons of DU weapons tested for decades by the Navy on four bombing and gunnery ranges around Fallon, Nevada, is no doubt the cause of the fastest growing leukemia cluster in the U.S. over the past decade. The military denies that DU is the cause.

The medical profession has been active in the cover-up - just as they were in hiding the effects from the American public - of low level radiation from atmospheric testing and nuclear power plants. A medical doctor in Northern California reported being trained by the Pentagon with other doctors, months before the 2003 war started, to diagnose and treat soldiers returning from the 2003 war for mental problems only.

Medical professionals in hospitals and facilities treating returning soldiers were threatened with $10,000 fines if they talked about the soldiers or their medical problems. They were also threatened with jail.

Reporters have also been prevented access to more than 14,000 medically evacuated soldiers flown nightly since the 2003 war in C-150s from Germany who are brought to Walter Reed Hospital near Washington, D.C.

"It isn't clear what has happened to this child, and I have no explanation for the dark nature and condition of the skin."

"Child with unknown white substance covering almost the whole body."

Dr. Robert Gould, former president of the Bay Area chapter of Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR), has contacted three medical doctors since February 2004, after I had been invited to speak about DU. Dr. Katharine Thomasson, president of the Oregon chapter of the PSR, informed me that Dr. Gould had contacted her and tried to convince her to cancel her invitation for me to speak about DU at Portland State University on April 12. Although I was able to do a presentation, Dr. Thomasson told me I could only talk about DU in Oregon "and nothing overseas nothing political."

Dr. Gould also contacted and discouraged Dr. Ross Wilcox in Toronto, Canada, from inviting me to speak to Physicians for Global Survival (PGS), the Canadian equivalent of PSR, several months later. When that didn't work, he contacted Dr. Allan Connoly, the Canadian national president of PGS, who was able to cancel my invitation and nearly succeeded in preventing Dr. Wilcox, his own member, from showing photos and presenting details on civilians suffering from DU exposure and cancer provided to him by doctors in southern Iraq.

Dr. Janette Sherman, a former and long-standing member of PSR, reported that she finally quit some time after being invited to lunch by a new PSR executive administrator. After the woman had pumped Dr. Sherman for information all through lunch about her position on key issues, the woman informed Dr. Sherman that her last job had been with the CIA.

How was the truth about DU hidden from military personnel serving in successive DU wars? Before his tragic death, Sen. Paul Wellstone informed Joyce Riley, R.N., B.S.N., executive director of the American Gulf War Veterans Association, that 95 percent of Gulf War veterans had been recycled out of the military by 1995. Any of those continuing in military service were isolated from each other, preventing critical information being transferred to new troops. The "next DU war" had already been planned, and those planning it wanted "no skunk at the garden party."

Offline Harconen

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2009, 11:05:13 pm »

"Child with almost total deformity of the face; no recognisable features at all, and what appears to be one eye situated in the middle of the forehead."

The US has a dirty (DU) little (CIA) secret

A new book just published at the American Free Press by Michael Collins Piper, "The High Priests of War: The Secret History of How America's Neo-Conservative Trotskyites Came to Power and Orchestrated the War Against Iraq as the First Step in Their Drive for Global Empire," details the early plans for a war against the Arab world by Henry Kissinger and the neo-cons in the late 1960s and early 1970s. That just happens to coincide with getting the DU "show on the road" and the oil crisis in the Middle East, which caused concern not only to President Nixon. The British had been plotting and scheming for control of the oil in Iraq for decades since first using poison gas on the Iraqis and Kurds in 1912.

The book details the creation of the neo-cons by their "godfather" and Trotsky lover Irving Kristol, who pushed for a "war against terrorism" long before 9/11 and was lavishly funded for years by the CIA. His son, William Kristol, is one of the most influential men in the United States.

Both are public relations men for the Israeli lobby's neo-conservative network, with strong ties to Rupert Murdoch. Kissinger also has ties to this network and the Carlyle Group, who, one could say, have facilitated these omnicidal wars beginning from the time former President Bush took office. It would be easy to say that we are recycling World Wars I and II, with the same faces.

When I asked Vietnam Special Ops Green Beret Capt. John McCarthy, who could have devised this omnicidal plan to use DU to destroy the genetic code and genetic future of large populations of Arabs and Moslems in the Middle East and Central Asia - just coincidentally the areas where most of the world's oil deposits are located - he replied:
"It has all the handprints of Henry Kissinger."

"Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy."

- Henry Kissinger, quoted in "Kiss the Boys Goodbye: How the United States Betrayed Its Own POW's in Vietnam"

Kissinger: Bush's original choice to head the 911 comission.
 He is fighting extradition to Spain and Chile to be tried for war crimes.

In Zbignew Brzezinski's book "The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives," the map of the Eurasian chessboard includes four regions strategic to U.S. foreign policy. The "South" region corresponds precisely to the regions now contaminated permanently with radiation from U.S. bombs, missiles and bullets made with thousands of tons of DU.

A Japanese professor, Dr. K. Yagasaki, has calculated that 800 tons of DU is the atomicity equivalent of 83,000 Nagasaki bombs. The U.S. has used more DU since 1991 than the atomicity equivalent of 400,000 Nagasaki bombs. Four nuclear wars indeed, and 10 times the amount of radiation released into the atmosphere from atmospheric testing!

No wonder our soldiers, their families and the people of the Middle East, Yugoslavia and Central Asia are sick. But as Henry Kissinger said after Vietnam when our soldiers came home ill from Agent Orange, "Military men are just dumb stupid animals to be used for foreign policy."

Unfortunately, more and more of those soldiers are men and women with brown skin. And unfortunately, the DU radioactive dust will be carried around the world and deposited in our environments just as the "smog of war" from the 1991 Gulf War was found in deposits in South America, the Himalayas and Hawaii.

In June 2003, the World Health Organization announced in a press release that global cancer rates will increase 50 percent by 2020. What else do they know that they aren't telling us? I know that depleted uranium is a death sentence for all of us. We will all die in silent ways.

To learn more:
    Sources used in this story that readers are encouraged to consult:

American Free Press four-part series on DU by Christopher Bollyn. Part I: "Depleted Uranium: U.S. Commits War Crime Against Iraq, Humanity,"; Part II: "Cancer Epidemic Caused by U.S. WMD: MD Says Depleted Uranium Definitively Linked,"

August 2004 World Affairs Journal. Leuren Moret: "Depleted Uranium: The Trojan Horse of Nuclear War,"

August 2004 Coastal Post Online. Carol Sterrit: "Marin Depleted Uranium Resolution Heats Up ­ GI's Will Come Home To A Slow Death,"

World Depleted Uranium Weapons Conference, Hamburg, Germany, October 16-19, 2004

International Criminal Tribunal for Afghanistan. Written opinion of Judge Niloufer Baghwat

"Discounted Casualties: The Human Cost of Nuclear War" by Akira Tashiro, foreword by Leuren Moret

-------------------

Leuren Moret is a geoscientist who has worked around the world on radiation issues, educating citizens, the media, members of parliaments and Congress and other officials. She became a whistleblower in 1991 at the Livermore Nuclear Weapons Lab after experiencing major science fraud on the Yucca Mountain Project. An environmental commissioner in the City of Berkeley, she can be reached at [email protected].

Offline Harconen

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2009, 11:25:11 pm »

Fadel, 7 years old, came from Basra, South of Iraq.
 Depleted uranium, with it metal toxicity and radiation, has damaged her liver and kidneys.
A needle was injected into her body to draw out the abdominal dropsy.
She died soon after the painful injection.

A $19 trillion price tag since 1940 for past, present,  and future wars reveals our addiction to war and bloodshed. " - Philip Berrigan "I think the level of casualties is secondary. I mean, it may sound like an odd thing to say,  but all the great scholars who have studied American character have come to the conclusion that we are a warlike people and that we love war. . . . What we hate is not casualties but losing." - Michael Ledeen, the American Enterprise Institute Breakfast, March 27, 2003 c "The use of depleted uranium in the Gulf War has been particularly effective. Radiation levels in Iraq are appallingly high. Babies are born with no brain, no eyes, no genitals. Where they do have ears, mouths or rectums, all that issues from these orifices is blood.' - Harold Pinter c "The United States has conducted two nuclear wars. The first against Japan in 1945, the second in Kuwait and Iraq in 1991." - Dr. Helen Caldicottc c "Depleted-uranium weapons are an unacceptable threat to life, a violation of international law and an assault on human dignity. "  - Ramsey Clark, former Attorney General of the U.S. At last the military alchemists have succeeded in compressing the gap between nuclear and conventional weapons. The United States has used these nuclear weapons in Iraq and in Yugoslavia- - a violation of international law--but there will be no trial.  c "International law? I better call my lawyer!  I don't know what you're talking about, about international law." - W's response to questions about the administration's handing out of reconstruction contracts in Iraq, Dec.11, 2003  c  c

Offline Harconen

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2009, 11:31:00 pm »
THE TRIAL OF DEPLETED URANIUM

by Father Philip Berrigan

Diagram of a D.U. shell

LEST THE READER BE MISLED BY THIS ARTICLE'S TITLE, LET IT BE SAID: There WAS no trial of depleted uranium. The four of us who took action last December to protest this horrific evil were indicted, charged, convicted, and imprisoned. As for depleted uranium itself: No indictment, no trial. Nor is there likely to be.

Yet depleted uranium has been part of the U.S. arsenal for over ten years. A byproduct of nuclear reactors, depleted uranium is only slightly less radioactive than raw uranium. As a heavy metal, it has so dense a structure that bullets coated with it can pierce protective covering, and shells containing a depleted uranium rod can penetrate tanks and armored vehicles. Upon impact, these shells pulverize, scattering radioactive particles up to twenty-five miles-- to be breathed or ingested--or to contaminate the soil for the next 4.2 billion years.

At last the military alchemists have succeeded in compressing the gap between nuclear and conventional weapons. The United States has used these nuclear weapons in Iraq and in Yugoslavia--a violation of international law--but there will be no trial.

No trial, despite a staggering total of dead in Iraq--as high as two million since 1991--the harvest of U.S.-led international sanctions and depleted uranium. No trial, despite the deaths of over four hundred U.S. veterans of Desert Storm--victims of cancer, or of respiratory, liver, or kidney failure.

No trial, despite the chronic illnesses of 110,000 veterans, none of them told about the deadliness of depleted uranium.

No trial, despite the pitiable appearance of grossly deformed babies, born to Iraqi, British, and American soldiers exposed to depleted uranium.

No trial, despite the Pentagon's refusal to clean up an estimated three hundred to eight hundred tons of depleted uranium in Kuwait and Iraq.

No trial, despite U.S. giveaways of depleted uranium to a score of "friendly" nations--a blank check to build their own nuclear weapons, fight their own nuclear wars, and further contaminate the planet with radioactivity.

No trial by the media, no trial in pulpits, no trial on campuses, no trial by politicians, no trial by public opinion. A little noise over depleted uranium from veterans' groups and the peace movement, but overall, no trial. And especially, no trial by widespread nonviolent civil resistance. The volume of silence over these hellish weapons is surreal, numbing, stupefying. How to explain it?

Certainly, in their fifty-five-year love affair with the bomb, Americans have not measured the cost of this idolatry: spiritual numbing, social denial, moral paralysis. A $19 trillion price tag since 1940 for past, present, and future wars reveals our addiction to war and bloodshed. ("Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.")

The War Department has become a master, as far back as the invasion of Grenada, at suppressing the media. ("Control the media and win the war.") We continue to bomb Iraq--monasteries, grain fields, shepherds and their flocks--but few of us know about it. The war-makers understand that suppression of key facts, along with dissemination of lies and disinformation, leaves the public uncertain and confused--especially about what to do.

What to do, there's the rub. Something that will witness to Christ's victory over death and God's sovereignty over life. How about enacting the "swords into plowshares" prophecy of Isaiah 2:4, which states that only the weaponless can climb God's mountain and achieve union with God?

How about "loving enemies" as Christ did, even as we realize that we must protect our enemies in order to love them? How about reminding sick and dying Gulf War veterans, in fact all GIs, that the Pentagon judges them expendable?

How about allowing our actions to speak our conviction of the absolute necessity of disarmament? How about a public expression of faith and sanity in a society that appears to have lost both? Such concerns impelled four of us to cut into the Warfield Air National Guard base in East Baltimore on December 19, 1999, to symbolically disarm, with household hammers and our own blood, two A-10 Warthog fighter planes. These "tank busters" fired 95 percent of the depleted uranium munitions during our twin wars in Iraq and Yugoslavia, using a twenty-millimeter, seven-barrel Gatling gun that spews out thirty-nine hundred shells per minute.

In a battlefield context, Warthogs are arguably the most devastating weapons system yet fashioned. Even in the company of other terrible engines of war, they are a monstrosity. Imagine one of them strafing a village: It makes a pass and leaves a trench--people dead, buildings blasted, trees and vegetation splintered, the air, soil, and water infected with radioactivity. The Warthog is an engine of hell. It has no right to exist.

Therein lies the bottom line: Who will protest its existence? Who will resist this killing by others? Millions of decent people will not kill, but few will prevent others from killing, especially when those others lurk in governments and the military, in transnationals and banks--the quiet, well-manicured terrorists who kill under the law.

Do we desire a taproot for peace? Then we must stop the killing--killing in war, killing on death row, killing the weak and the powerless. The commandment "Thou shalt not kill!" is absolutely elementary and pivotal. Until we honor the image of God in the neighbor, until we eliminate our sins of omission (our failure to protect others), until we understand that we can't believe or love unless we stop the killing, then the pursuit of disarmament, justice, and peace is a melodrama of contradiction and futility.

Perhaps depleted uranium requires no trial. God's law has already found it guilty. International law has already found it a war crime. When Americans find the faith to stop the killing, the prophecy of Isaiah and the Sermon on the Mount will become the ultimate political statement. Only then will we outlaw depleted uranium, dumping it, along with other nuclear weapons, into the dust-bin of history.

Offline Harconen

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 12:18:09 am »
"The use of depleted uranium in the Gulf War has been particularly effective.
Radiation levels in Iraq are appallingly high. Babies are born with no brain, no eyes, no genitals.
Where they do have ears, mouths or rectums, all that issues from these orifices is blood...."
/
"....Blair and Bush are of course totally indifferent to such facts, not forgetting the charming, grinning, beguiling Bill Clinton,
who was apparently given a standing ovation at the Labour Party conference. For what? Killing Iraqi children? Or Serbian children?"

"A Monster of Obscene & Grotesque Proportions"
The Bush / Blair Gang

by HAROLD PINTER

Harold Pinter is a "Leading middle and late twentieth century dramatist: actor, director, playwright, screen writer, poet, critic, and political activist. Pinter has received many awards, including the Berlin Film Festival Silver Bear in 1963, BAFTA awards in 1965 and in 1971, the Hamburg Shakespeare Prize in 1970, the Cannes Film Festival Palme d'Or in 1971, and the Commonwealth Award in 1981. He was awarded a CBE in 1966, but he later turned down John Major's offer of a knighthood. In 1996 he was given the Laurence Olivier Award for a lifetime's achievement in the theatre. In 2002 he was made a Companion of Honour for services to literature. Full bio at: http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/hpinter.htm. Filmography: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0056217/

December 4, 2002

There's an old story about Oliver Cromwell. After he had taken the Irish town of Drogheda the citizens were brought to the main square. Cromwell announced to his lieutenants: "Right! Kill all the women and rape all the men." One of his aides said: "Excuse me, general. Isn't it the other way around?" A voice from the crowd called out: "Mr Cromwell knows what he's doing."

That voice is the voice of Tony Blair --"Mr Bush knows what he's doing."

The fact is that Mr Bush and his gang do know what they're doing and Blair, unless he really is the deluded idiot he often appears to be, also knows what they're doing. Bush and company are determined, quite simply, to control the world and the world's resources. And they don't give a damn how many people they murder on the way. And Blair goes along with it.

He hasn't the support of the Labour Party, he hasn't the support of the country or of the celebrated "international community". How can he justify taking this country into a war nobody wants? He can't. He can only resort to rhetoric, cliche and propaganda. Little did we think when we voted Blair into power that we would come to despise him. The idea that he has influence over Bush is laughable. His supine acceptance of US bullying is pathetic.

Bullying is, of course, a time-honoured US tradition. Addressing the Greek ambassador to the US in 1965, Lyndon Johnson said: "f**k your parliament and your constitution. The US is an elephant. Cyprus is a flea. Greece is a flea. If these two fellows continue itching the elephant they may just get whacked by the elephant's trunk, whacked good."

He meant what he said. Shortly afterwards the colonels, supported by the US, took over in Greece and the Greek people spent seven years in hell.

As for the US elephant, it has grown to be a monster of grotesque and obscene proportions.

The terrible atrocity in Bali does not alter the facts of the case.

The "special relationship" between the US and the UK has, in the last 12 years, brought about the deaths of thousands upon thousands of people in Iraq, Afghanistan and Serbia. All this in pursuit of the US and UK "moral crusade" to bring "peace and stability" to the world.

The use of depleted uranium in the Gulf War has been particularly effective. Radiation levels in Iraq are appallingly high. Babies are born with no brain, no eyes, no genitals. Where they do have ears, mouths or rectums, all that issues from these orifices is blood.'

Blair and Bush are of course totally indifferent to such facts, not forgetting the charming, grinning, beguiling Bill Clinton, who was apparently given a standing ovation at the Labour Party conference. For what? Killing Iraqi children? Or Serbian children?

Bush has said: "We will not allow the world's worst weapons to remain in the hands of the world's worst leaders." Quite right. Look in the mirror chum. That's you.

The US is at this moment developing advanced systems of "weapons of mass destruction", and is prepared to use them where it sees fit. It has walked away from international agreements on biological and chemical weapons, refusing to allow any inspection of its own factories.

It is holding hundreds of Afghans prisoner in Guantanamo Bay, allowing them no legal redress despite their being charged with nothing, holding them captive virtually for ever.

It is insisting on immunity from the international criminal court, a stance that beggars belief but which is now supported by the UK. The hypocrisy is breathtaking.

Tony Blair's contemptible subservience to this criminal US regime demeans and dishonours his country.

Harold Pinter is a "Leading middle and late twentieth century dramatist: actor, director, playwright, screen writer, poet, critic, and political activist. Pinter has received many awards, including the Berlin Film Festival Silver Bear in 1963, BAFTA awards in 1965 and in 1971, the Hamburg Shakespeare Prize in 1970, the Cannes Film Festival Palme d'Or in 1971, and the Commonwealth Award in 1981. He was awarded a CBE in 1966, but he later turned down John Major's offer of a knighthood. In 1996 he was given the Laurence Olivier Award for a lifetime's achievement in the theatre. In 2002 he was made a Companion of Honour for services to literature. Full bio at: http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/hpinter.htm fgvfFilmography-: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0056217/

This text was first delivered as a speech to an anti-war meeting at the House of Commons.

Offline Harconen

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 12:21:30 am »
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ­
George Orwell

Offline Harconen

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 12:39:12 am »
"..There is not a nation on the earth guilty of practices more shocking and bloody than are the people of the United States, at this very hour.

Go where you may, search where you will, roam through all the monarchies and despotisms of the Old World, travel through South America, search out every abuse, and when you have found the last, lay your facts by the side of the everyday practices of this nation, and you will say with me, that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival..."

"The way of life can be free and beautiful.
But we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men's souls -
has barricaded the world with hate;
has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed.

We have developed speed but we have shut ourselves in;
machinery that gives abundance has left us in want.
Our knowledge has made us cynical,
our cleverness hard and unkind.
We think too much and feel too little.
More than machinery we need humanity;

More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.

Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

Offline Harconen

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 12:46:52 am »
"...And they have turned loose a myriad of our high-tech weapons, each one costing more than a hundred high schools, on a Third World country, in order to shock and awe human beings like us, like Adam and Eve, between the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers. "
- "Strange Weather Lately", by Kurt Vonnegut | 5.9.03
http://masters-of-war.org/vonnegut.html

Offline Harconen

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 01:01:59 am »
I don't know how are you feeling about all of this, but I was wept during posting it. We are crucifying Christ again by letting them (NWO) doing it to all those children in US, Serbia, Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestrina, etc. And there is more of that every day.

Offline Harconen

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 02:22:22 am »
Children 'Starving' in New Iraq

Increasing numbers of children in Iraq do not have enough food to eat and more than a quarter are chronically undernourished, a UN report says.

Malnutrition rates in children under five have almost doubled since the US-led intervention - to nearly 8% by the end of last year, it says.

The report was prepared for the annual meeting of the UN Human Rights Commission in Geneva.

It also expressed concern over North Korea and Sudan's Darfur province.

UN specialist on hunger Jean Ziegler, who prepared the report, blames the worsening situation in Iraq on the war led by coalition forces.

He was addressing a meeting of the 53-nation commission, the top UN rights watchdog, which is halfway through its annual six-week session.

When Saddam Hussein was overthrown, about 4% of Iraqi children under five were going hungry; now that figure has almost doubled to 8%, his report says.

Governments must recognise their extra-territorial obligations towards the right to food and should not do anything that might undermine access to it of people living outside their borders, it says.

That point is aimed clearly at the US, but Washington, which has sent a large delegation to the Human Rights Commission, declined to respond to the charges, says the BBC's Imogen Foulkes in Geneva.

Increasing Hunger

Mr Ziegler also says he is very concerned about the lack of food in North Korea, where there are reports that UN food aid is not being distributed fairly.

In Darfur, the continuing conflict has prevented people from planting vital crops, he says.

Overall, Mr Ziegler says, he is shocked by the fact that hunger is actually increasing worldwide.

Some 17,000 children die every day from hunger-related diseases, the report claims, which it says is a scandal in a world which is richer than ever before.

"The silent daily massacre by hunger is a form of murder," Mr Ziegler said. "It must be battled and eliminated."

SOMEONE ELSE'S CHILD

A three-month old baby in Iraq, (being treated for diahrea because the water is so toxic). Malnutrition in children has nearly doubled since the start of the war. Children are sick, living in toxic environments, surrounded by violence and death.

FULL STORY: U.N.: War 'Wreaking Havoc' on Iraq Young By SAM CAGE, Associated Press Writer, Nov.13, 2004
http://www.infowars.com/articles/iraq/havoc_on_children.htm

"Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren..."

"... you did it to me."

Offline Harconen

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 02:38:59 am »
To Kill The Child

Lyrics to a new song by Roger Waters

HEAR the song at: http://www.roger-waters.com

The child lay in the starlit night
Safe in the glow of his Donald Duck light
How strange to choose to take a life
How strange to choose to kill a child
Hoover, Blaupunkt, Nissan Jeep
Nike, Addidas, Lacoste and cheaper brands
Cadillac, Amtrak, gasoline, diesel
Our standard of living, could this be a reason
That we would choose to kill the child

Allah, Jehovah, Buddah, Christ
Confucius and Kali and reds, beans and rice
Goujons of sole, ris de veau, ham hocks
Lox bagels and bones and commandments in stone
The Bible, Koran, Shinto, Islam
Prosciutto, risotto, falafel and ham
Is it dogma, doughnuts, ridicule faith
Fear of the dark, or shame or disgrace

It's cold in the desert
And the space is too big
The rope is too short
And the walls are too thick
I will show you no weakness
I will mock you in song
Berate and deride you
Belittle and chide you
Beat you with sticks
And bulldoze your home
You can watch my triumphant procession to Rome
Best seat in the house
Up there on the cross
Is it anger or envy, profit or loss

Take this child and hold him closely
Keep him safe from the holy reign of terror

Take this child hold him closely
Take this child to the moral high ground
Where he can look down on the bigots and bully boys

Slugging it out in the yard

Saleh Khalaf, an Iraqi boy maimed in a blast, who used carrier pigeons in his Iraqi village  to send messages to friends, holds a white dove, part of his impressive collection of birds in America. His flock, kept at the home of Leslie Troutner of San Francisco, includes three white doves and 12 carrier pigeons.

"Dr. Jay Johannigman opened the back door of the Iraqi ambulance. Inside was a boy. His abdomen was ripped open. His left eye was missing. Both hands -- blown off.
A veteran of two Gulf wars, the surgeon at Tallil Air Base near Nasiriya had seen casualties this horrific many times. Few survived. Remarkably, this child was still speaking.

"Mister, I need water," 9-year-old Saleh Khalaf said politely in Arabic.

It was Oct. 18, 2003, seven months after U.S. forces invaded Saleh's country as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Johannigman knew that his job was to treat only American soldiers, but Saleh's unwillingness to die moved him.
The Air Force doctor made a split-second decision that would launch a dramatic mercy mission. The rescue operation would involve an airlift from Iraq to the Bay Area, require dozens of life-and-death surgeries and attract worldwide media coverage.
No one could have imagined then that the mission would take so many harrowing turns -- or alter so many lives."

"OPERATION LION HEART" (Full story)
 http://www.sfgate.com/saleh/

"OPERATION LION HEART": An update
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/10/10/MNG0996S3T1.DTL

Offline Harconen

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 02:48:55 am »
"The boys were sodomized with the cameras rolling, and the worst part is the soundtrack, of the boys shrieking,
 ... And this is your government at war."

Torturing Children

By William Rivers Pitt
t r u t h o u t | Perspective
 Tuesday 20 July 2004

The biggest story of the Iraq war is not about missing weapons of mass destruction, or about deep-cover CIA officers getting their covers blown by vengeful White House agents, or even about 896 dead American soldiers. These have been covered to one degree or another, and then summarily dismissed, by the American mainstream news media. The biggest story of the Iraq war has not enjoyed any coverage in America, though it has been exploding across the international news media for several weeks now.

The biggest story of the Iraq war is about the torture of Iraqi children.

A German TV magazine called 'Report Mainz' recently aired accusations from the International Red Cross, to the effect that over 100 children are imprisoned in U.S.- controlled detention centers, including Abu Ghraib. "Between January and May of this year, we've registered 107 children, during 19 visits in 6 different detention locations," said Red Cross representative Florian Westphal in the report.

The report also outlined eyewitness testimony of the abuse of these children. Staff Sergeant Samuel Provance, who was stationed at Abu Ghraib, said that interrogating officers had gotten their hands on a 15 or 16 year old girl. Military police only stopped the interrogation when the girl was half undressed. A separate incident described a 16 year old being soaked with water, driven through the cold, smeared with mud, and then presented before his weeping father, who was also a prisoner.

Seymour Hersh, the New Yorker reporter who first broke the story of torture at Abu Ghraib, recently spoke at an ACLU convention. He has seen the pictures and the videotapes the American media has not yet shown. "The boys were sodomized with the cameras rolling, and the worst part is the soundtrack, of the boys shrieking," said Hersh. "And this is your government at war."

Hersh described the prison scene as, "a series of massive crimes, criminal activity by the president and the vice president, by this administration anyway," and that there has been, "a massive amount of criminal wrongdoing that was covered up at the highest command out there, and higher."

Reports of abuses at Abu Ghraib and other American prisons have been public knowledge since the release of the Taguba Report. Recently, however, some 106 annexes to the report, previously classified, have also been released. U.S. News and World Report detailed the sum of what is contained in these annexes in an article titled 'Hell on Earth.'

In it, U.S. News says, "The abuses took place, the files show, in a chaotic and dangerous environment made even more so by the constant pressure from Washington to squeeze intelligence from detainees. Riots, prisoner escapes, shootings, corrupt Iraqi guards, unsanitary conditions, rampant sexual misbehavior, bug-infested food, prisoner beatings and humiliations, and almost-daily mortar shellings from Iraqi insurgents--according to the annex to General Taguba's report, that pretty much sums up life at Abu Ghraib." According to coalition intelligence officers cited in a Red Cross report from last May, between 70% to 90% of Iraqi detainees held in these prisons were arrested "by mistake." That means they were innocent.

The orders to treat prisoners in this fashion were not manufactured by the few "bad apples" we have heard about, but came from up on high. Brig. Gen Janis Karpinski, former commander of Abu Ghraib and now scapegoat for the abuses, says the truth about where the orders came from would be revealed in the trials of the accused soldiers. Memos ordering the abuse of prisoners were signed off on by Defense Secretary Rumsfeld. The Justice Department and Mr. Bush's senior legal advisor went out of their way to craft arguments justifying this, claiming that torture isn't really torture and that the President is basically above the law.

Mr. Hersh will revisit this issue within the next several weeks. In the meantime, the American news media has an obligation to report on this situation. Photographic and videotape evidence of this torture is currently in the hands of the New Yorker, the Washington Post, the U.S. Congress and the White House. It must be released.

We invaded a country based upon the false claim that Iraq was allied with al Qaeda. We invaded a country based on the false claim that there were weapons of mass destruction which needed to be destroyed. We promised freedom and democracy, and instead installed a CIA-trained strongman named Allawi who has all but created a dictatorship in Iraq, and who has been accused of killing Iraqi prisoners by his own hand. 896 American soldiers have died so we could do this.

We took thousands of innocent civilians off the streets in Iraq and threw them into hellhole prisons, where they were beaten, raped, and killed. This story has faded from public view because no new pictures of the abuses have come out in the last several weeks. Those pictures are out there, and they show the rape and torture of children. The international media is reporting on it http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article823183.ece . Coalition ally Norway may be preparing to flee Iraq because of the allegations regarding these children.

Where is the American news media? Where are the pictures? Who is responsible for this abomination? Torturing children in the name of freedom? Is this what we have become?