Author Topic: Jeremy Scahill Kicked Ass On Bill Maher 8/21/2009  (Read 51012 times)

Offline Irobot

• SHOW HOST WANTED!
    • 12160 SOCIAL NETWORK
Re: Jeremy Scahill Kicked Ass On Bill Maher Tonight!!
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 09:24:22 pm »
are you possibly thinking of Matt Taibbi?

Maybe, but I think not. Scahill as been on the show many times, even this year alone. I will poke around and see if I can find a clip.
12160  "Destroying the NWO"
Check out the blogs, videos, and discussions!!
http://12160.info/

RADIO HOST WANTED!!! 
Trolls R People 2

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 09:57:41 pm »
Maybe, but I think not. Scahill as been on the show many times, even this year alone. I will poke around and see if I can find a clip.

So has Matt, and they come across at first very similar, but the message is miles apart.

I once thought Bill was interviewing Scahill one time when listening with my back to the TV.  But the words were f-d up, I turned around and realized it was Taibbi. I have looked up almost anything about Scahill's political views, the only thing I find is that he is a fricking infosniper and the scope does not leave Blackwater. In my opinion, he is a brave soul that stands up for the American people when all branches of government and the media has refused to.  His logic is impenetrable...

There is a crime.

Here is the criminal.

The criminal continues to commit crimes.

The criminal is wearing our flag while committing these crimes.

These crimes are the most despicable known to man and if not stopped, we may never get our country back again.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
Re: Jeremy Scahill Kicked Ass On Bill Maher 8/21/2009
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 10:11:05 pm »
Here's some info from the Jeremy Scahill page on wiki...

Jeremy Scahill
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Scahill

Jeremy Scahill giving a lecture at Sacramento City College on May 3, 2007Jeremy Scahill (born c. 1974) is an American investigative journalist and author whose work focuses on global issues, most notably the recent rise of private military companies. He is the author of the best-selling book Blackwater:The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army, winner of a George Polk Book Award. He also serves as a correspondent for the U.S. radio and TV program Democracy Now!. He is also a Puffin Foundation Writing Fellow at The Nation Institute and a frequent contributor to The Nation.[1]

Contents [hide]
1 Career
2 References
3 Notes
4 External links

[edit] Career
Until 1998, Scahill was a regular contributor to the Catholic Worker. He campaigned vigorously against US policy towards Cuba, arguing that the Helms-Burton Act "discards ... sovereignty ... and attempts to supersede International law with US law" and "creates a legal framework authorizing financial and military support for armed subversion of a sovereign nation".[2]

Scahill and colleague Amy Goodman were co-recipients of the 1998 Polk Award for their radio documentary "Drilling and Killing: Chevron and Nigeria's Oil Dictatorship", which investigated the Chevron Corporation's role in the killing of two Nigerian environmental activists.[3] Scahill's work appears frequently on Alternet, Commondreams, Counterpunch, Truthout, Antiwar.com, Huffington Post and many other independent news sites.

Scahill has reported from post-invasion Iraq; the former Yugoslavia, where he covered the 1999 NATO bombing;[4] and from post-Katrina Louisiana.[5] He has been a vocal critic of private military contractors, particularly Blackwater Worldwide, the subject of his book, Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army.[6] The book was the focus of a two-part interview and discussion with Amy Goodman on Democracy Now! in March 2007.[7] The book received numerous accolades, including the Alternet Best Book of the Year Award, a spot on the Barnes & Noble and Amazon lists of the Best Nonfiction Books of 2007, and another Polk Award. Scahill has appeared on ABC World News, CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News, CNN, MSNBC, PBS’s The NewsHour, Bill Moyers Journal and is a frequent guest on other radio and TV programs in the United States.

Scahill served as an election correspondent for HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher. Scahill has twice testified before Congress on the U.S. government's use of mercenary forces. On 19 April 2007, Scahill was a guest on The Daily Show where Jon Stewart was critical of Scahill's book.[8] On 3 Oct 2007 Stewart then expressed some remorse for his attitude during his interview with Scahill.[9]

[edit] References
Scahill, Jeremy. "US Law Further Tightens Noose on Cuban People". Catholic Worker, June - July, 1997.

[edit] Notes
^ The Nation website
^ Metaphoria, August 1997, Volume 4 Nr.12, Issue 48
^ Polk Awards press release
^ Selves and Others
^ Democracy Now!
^ New York: Nation Books, 2007. ISBN 1560259795 (hardcover); revised and updated edition, 2008. ISBN 156858394X
^ part one part two
^ "April 19, 2007: Jeremy Scahill". Comedy Central. 19 April 2007. http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=85562&title=jeremy-scahill
^ "Daily Show Host Jon Stewart Apologizes to Jeremy Scahill for Hostile Interview on Blackwater Book". Democracy Now!. 3 Oct 2007. http://www.democracynow.org/2007/10/4/daily_show_host_jon_stewart_apologizes

[edit] External links
Jeremy Scahill's blog : RebelReports
Jeremy Scahill's reports at The Huffington Post
Jeremy Scahill's reports at AlterNet.org
Jeremy Scahill's reports at The Nation
Jeremy Scahill's Blackwater site

Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army, talk at Powell's Books in Portland, Oregon, during the recent book tour for the newly revised second edition, June 15, 2008.
Interview about Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army, online at CBC Words at Large (audio)
Jeremy Scahill, "Bush's Shadow Army" -- from The Nation: March 15, 2007
Radio Interview: Journalist Scahill Charts the Rise of Blackwater USA -- from NPR.org: March 19, 2007
Blackwater's Dark Side Exposed- video news report by MSNBC
Metaphoria. "Cuba". August 1997, 4:12, 48
Scahill on The Hour
Book Review
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 10:16:58 pm »
Democracy Now interview on 8/20/09:

CIA Hired Private Military Firm Blackwater for Secret Assassination Program
The New York Times is reporting the CIA hired contractors from Blackwater in 2004 as part of a secret program to locate and assassinate top operatives of al-Qaeda. The CIA spent several million dollars on the program, which the Times claims did not successfully capture or kill any terrorist suspects. We speak to independent journalist Jeremy Scahill, author of the bestseller Blackwater: The Rise of the World’s Most Powerful Mercenary Army. [includes rush transcript

Excellent interview (video):
http://play.rbn.com/?url=demnow/demnow/demand/2009/aug/video/dnB20090820a.rm&proto=rtsp&start=00:08:16

MP3 download: http://media.libsyn.com/media/democracynow/dn2009-0820-1.mp3

Scahill: "I think a lot more is going to come out on this".

Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2009, 10:25:47 pm »
Rush Transcript of Democracy Now interview:
THIS IS INCREDIBLE!

JUAN GONZALEZ: We begin today’s show with an explosive new report about the private military contractor Blackwater. The New York Times is reporting the CIA hired contractors from Blackwater in 2004 as part of a secret program to locate and assassinate top operatives of al-Qaeda.

Executives from Blackwater helped the spy agency with planning, training and surveillance. The CIA spent several million dollars on the program, which the Times claims did not successfully capture or kill any terrorist suspects. Meanwhile, the Washington Post reports Blackwater had operational control over the program.

Officials say the CIA did not have a formal contract with Blackwater for this program. Members of Congress did not learn about it until earlier this year, after it had been canceled.

AMY GOODMAN: To talk more about this story, we’re joined by independent journalist Jeremy Scahill, the author of the bestselling book Blackwater: The Rise of the World’s Most Powerful Mercenary Army. He was working on this story when it broke. His article on the program will appear on thenation.com today.

Jeremy, respond to this exposé.

JEREMY SCAHILL: Well, I mean, I think that what we see here in the Times is a very small fraction—and in the Post, for that matter—a very small fraction of this story. Blackwater has had a longstanding relationship with the Central Intelligence Agency, and I go into this at great length in my book.

There are two figures that I think tell the story of Blackwater’s relationship with the CIA. One is a man named Alvin, aka Buzzy, Krongard. The other is a man named J. Cofer Black.

Buzzy Krongard was the executive director of the Central Intelligence Agency when—in 2002, the number three man at the agency. He reportedly was a friend of or an acquaintance of Erik Prince’s father, Edgar Prince. The two of them ended up meeting officially in 2002, when Buzzy Krongard and Erik Prince arranged a black contract for Blackwater with the CIA to deploy a small team of men inside of Afghanistan on the CIA payroll. It was a $5 million contract. And the official reason for Blackwater going into Afghanistan was to provide protection for the CIA operatives that were operating in Afghanistan in the early stages of the US operations there.

So, Erik Prince himself—he’s a former Navy Seal—goes over with that first team of Blackwater guys as one of the operatives, and he goes to Shkin, which is a town along the Afghan-Pakistan border, where the CIA was running a mud fortress that was called the Alamo. Prince stayed there for a little bit of time. And according to another Blackwater executive who was with Prince on that trip that we talked to for my book, Erik Prince spent a few days there and then went to Kabul to try to win more business with other US federal agencies. So that initial relationship, Buzzy Krongard with Erik Prince, started, we understand, this CIA relationship with Blackwater.

Interestingly, when we talked to Buzzy Krongard, reached him on the phone in the course of doing my book, he was sort of startled at the idea that someone was asking about Blackwater and the CIA, and he said, “I don’t know which came first, the chicken or the egg,” meaning, I don’t know if Blackwater came to us with an offer to work for the CIA or if we we came to them. Now, who knows what’s true and what’s not true?

After that, Blackwater then started a whole division of its company for security operations. That’s pretty much when Blackwater’s role as a provider of private soldiers began. So, after that contract, then Blackwater ended up getting this huge contract inside of Afghanistan.

What the Times and the Post are saying is that, beginning in 2004, Blackwater was hired informally—there was no official contact—through Erik Prince and other executives to actually coordinate assassination teams that would hunt top al-Qaeda leaders in Afghanistan and potentially in Pakistan. Now, I had heard about this program weeks ago and had been doing the work of going through and trying to track down people that could verify this information. I think a lot more is going to come out on this. This is also something—I reached a member of the House Intelligence Committee last night who told me that the Intelligence Committee is, in fact, going to probe the alleged ties of Blackwater to this secret assassination program, that Dick Cheney reportedly ordered hid from Congress.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Well, Jeremy, I was struck by how skimpy the Times report was, in terms of actual facts, other than this, as you mentioned, this—the fact that there was no written contract or agreement, that it was all a word-of-mouth agreement between Prince and some CIA officials. But to your knowledge, did Leon Panetta brief members of Congress about this when he began raising questions about past CIA programs?

JEREMY SCAHILL: Well, I talked to a member of the Intelligence Committee. I’m not going to reveal who it was. And they said that they could neither confirm nor deny that Congress was aware of an alleged role that Blackwater was playing, nor could they say whether Panetta mentioned this at the briefing. I understand from some sources that it seems that there’s inflated reports on exactly how much of an alarm bell Leon Panetta rang when he briefed the US Congress.

I think a central point here, though, is that it shows how there was no wall between the administration and Erik Prince of Blackwater. They knew that this guy was going to be a loyal foot soldier. And you take this, combined with the fact that a former Blackwater executive has alleged that Erik Prince viewed himself as a sort of crusader fighting a holy war in defense of Christianity in an attempt to, quote, “eliminate Muslims and Islam globally,” the idea that then he was working or voluntarily working on some kind of an assassination program makes perfect sense.

Remember also, Juan, that one of the top executives at Blackwater right now is a guy named Cofer Black, twenty-eight-year veteran of the CIA. He was running the assassination program for the CIA in 2002, when Blackwater first started working for the CIA. Cofer Black was head of the CIA’s counterterrorism center. He was the guy who gave orders to the CIA jawbreaker teams: go into Afghanistan, chop off Osama bin Laden’s head with a machete, and bring it back to me in a box with dry ice, because I told the President I would present it to him. He now is running Prince’s private CIA. The notion that Blackwater wouldn’t have developed that kind of a relationship and now has on its payroll three of the biggest clandestine operators of the CIA in modern history, it’s just—it’s incredible.

JUAN GONZALEZ: Well, is it conceivable that the special ops role of Blackwater with the CIA could have affected how the government reacted to the killings that the Blackwater employees were involved in in Iraq?

JEREMY SCAHILL: Well, plausible deniability. Look, if you have a—you create as many barriers between the executive branch and the actual assassinations, because of prohibitions on assassination. This has become a huge issue now in this country. If you can sort of say, this was an arrangement, a private arrangement, between the head of this company and some rogue people at the CIA, then what you’re doing is you’re—and Blackwater is perceived by many as a sinking ship right now.

Part of what could be happening here is that they’re trying to really say Blackwater was actually responsible for all of it, when I think there’s a lot of evidence to indicate that this was an official policy, that Dick Cheney, if he didn’t create the program, was involved with the concealment of the program from the Congress. Look, I had somebody in Congress tell me last night, “Erik Prince was apparently trusted more than the US Congress by the White House, because he knew about this program, and we didn’t.” So, I mean, I think, yes, Blackwater—there’s ample evidence to suggest that Blackwater was involved with this program. And I think we need to probe the role. But there’s also the political reality that the Cheney folks are circling the wagons in an attempt to try to absolve themselves of any criminal culpability.

AMY GOODMAN: Jeremy Scahill, can we get the name straight? What is Blackwater called today?

JEREMY SCAHILL: Well, Blackwater has, you know, twenty different iterations, and they have all sorts of companies. In Afghanistan right now, they’re working for the State Department under the banner of U.S. Training Center. They’re working for the Department of Defense under Paravant. They’re working for—with their aviation wing through Presidential Airways. The official name of the company, how they do business overtly with the US government, is through U.S. Training Center. I understand that they also have some companies that are used for covert operations. TigerSwan is a company that I understand has been used for some of their covert work.

AMY GOODMAN: And the New York Times refers to them as Xe Services, X-E.

JEREMY SCAHILL: Yeah, that’s so last week. Amy. I mean, you know, they change—it changes pretty much every week.

The other thing is they have a—they have an offshore operation, which is a classic, old-fashioned mercenary operation called Greystone, which I understand still does business in Iraq.

And let’s remember, Blackwater is not just working for the US government; they work for the International Republican Institute, a John McCain-affiliated organization that’s been involved with interference in democratic processes in countries around the world and destabilizing countries. There are reports that they’ve been in Pakistan recently. And there’s—I understand there’s going to be some probing of that. In fact, Representative Jan Schakowsky, on August 6th, wrote a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton asking for information about Blackwater’s alleged role in Pakistan right now. This is a company that continues to work at every level, secret and overt, of the US government.

AMY GOODMAN: And let’s talk about Blackwater’s relationship with the Obama administration, the contracts it currently has.

JEREMY SCAHILL: Right. Well, I mean, I’ve spent the better part of the past month pursuing this, and Blackwater has one official remaining overt contract in Iraq. The State Department has confirmed that Blackwater still is armed in Iraq. They’re working technically on an aviation contract, though the State Department told me that their men are allowed to carry weapons and that it’s countrywide in Iraq. Blackwater has these Little Bird helicopters that have become a central part of the transportation of US officials, occupation officials, around Iraq. That is supposed to end on September 3rd. The Obama administration increased the value of that contract in late July by $20 million to $187 million. So Blackwater has made over a billion dollars in Iraq on diplomatic security, as they call it, though some would say they’re involved in the most undiplomatic work possible. They have that contract.

In Iraq, they’re on the third year of a five-year contract for private security services for the US State Department, where they are one of the premier forces transporting US diplomats around the country. When Ambassador Holbrooke, for instance, goes to Afghanistan, his security detail is in part made up of private soldiers. Hillary Clinton, who said that she would ban Blackwater, if elected president, now is the employer of Blackwater in Afghanistan. For the Department of Defense, Blackwater works in a capacity training the Afghan military forces. These are massive, massive contracts that Blackwater still has with the Obama administration.

JUAN GONZALEZ: And in the about thirty seconds that we have left, could you give us a sense—the Times is reporting that these assassination teams did not actually kill anybody. Is that your understanding, as well?

JEREMY SCAHILL: I would raise very serious questions about that, and I’ll tell you why. Cofer Black, when he was head of the CIA’s counterterrorism center, said, shortly after Blackwater started working for the CIA, that they had killed thousands of people and that they either killed or detained thousands of people as part of their covert program. Blackwater is alleged to have been working under the CIA’s paramilitary assassination program.

I think that before we go off to the races with declarations about how programs of this nature didn’t work, let’s remember one very important fact. These guys are former Navy Seals. They are the most sophisticated, highly trained operatives in the US military. That was the bonus of hiring Erik Prince. You are getting, off the books, off the map, unknown, plausibly deniable paramilitary operatives, who were the most seasoned veterans of US covert operations, to work essentially a black program in Afghanistan and Pakistan. I doubt very seriously that, if Blackwater was involved, no one got killed.

AMY GOODMAN: Jeremy Scahill, thanks so much for being with us. His article will appear at thenation.com today. Jeremy Scahill, award-winning investigative journalist, author of the bestseller Blackwater: The Rise of the World’s Most Powerful Mercenary Army. Good luck on Friday night, tomorrow night, on Bill Maher. Jeremy will be on with Jan Schakowsky, Jay Leno and NBC’s Chuck Todd.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2009, 10:30:09 pm »
Blackwater is so powerful that they can pay off an entire movie studio including actors, writers, distributors to create predictive programming through a major motion picture by rewriting the ending of the film which shifted blame from the owner of the genocide machine to a junior congressman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Play_(film)

Brad Pitt had a long association with the part.[5] He was initially attracted to the project after watching Macdonald's documentary Touching the Void (2003),[21] and had enjoyed the director's film The Last King of Scotland (2006). Macdonald had also been working with Pitt's production company Plan B Entertainment on a potential future project.[7] Pitt officially committed to star in State of Play in August 2007 after a Tony Gilroy script rewrite was completed.[22] He visited the newsroom of The Washington Post with Macdonald in September 2007 to research the role, spending four hours "talking shop" with political and investigative reporters,[23] but one week before filming was to begin in November 2007, he left the production.[14]

Producer Eric Fellner attempted to convince Pitt to remain in the film,[24] but Pitt was in disagreement with the studio over changes that had been made to the script since he originally agreed to star.[14] Talent agency CAA (which represents Pitt) maintained that he never officially signed off on the changes;[25] Macdonald delayed filming by a week to perform a scene-by-scene review of the script with Pitt; by the end, the director told the actor "I don't think we want to make the same film." When Pitt decided to drop out of the film he called the director himself to say so.[26] Pitt preferred a version closer to the original Carnahan draft and wanted to postpone filming until after the resolution of the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike, which would have enabled a further rewrite. The studio preferred to press on with production, and initially said it was to sue Pitt for reneging on his "pay or play" deal,[14] which would have earned him $20 million.[27] Settlement talks later led to a thawing of relations between the parties.[25] Pitt later said of the situation: "I had definite beliefs of what [the film] should be, and the director had his definite beliefs [and] we got up against this writers' strike where we couldn't fuse the two."[28]

How interesting: "Filming took place on the steps of the Scottish Rite Freemasonry temple in Washington, D.C. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All I can say is that Brad Pitt is the Man for telling them to go f**k themselves and Ben Affleck/Russel Crowe are whores for doing this debacle of revisionist history before the concusions are even uncovered.

Oh yeah and another one of my fav actors Ed Norton also told them to go f**k themselves.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:25 pm »
They can't let Kofer Black off the hook for this. That guy was there at the beginning, and he did the deal with Cheney. These guys need to go to JAIL for this - they KNEW that Prince was wacked out genocide-crazed psycho who wanted to exterminate all the muslims in the WORLD. And they hired him. And they used him and still use Xe to THIS DAY. The entire force of Xe has been indoctrinated with genocidal mindf*ck attitude. The US government needs to fire their asses immediately.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2009, 10:39:59 pm »
They can't let Kofer Black off the hook for this. That guy was there at the beginning, and he did the deal with Cheney. These guys need to go to JAIL for this - they KNEW that Prince was wacked out genocide-crazed psycho who wanted to exterminate all the muslims in the WORLD. And they hired him. And they used him and still use Xe to THIS DAY. The entire force of Xe has been indoctrinated with genocidal mindf*ck attitude. The US government needs to fire their asses immediately.

You mean Kofer Black who allowed 9/11 to happen when NRO was runniong "planes in buildings" exercises?

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2009, 10:46:12 pm »

All I can say is that Brad Pitt is the Man for telling them to go f**k themselves and Ben Affleck/Russel Crowe are whores for doing this debacle of revisionist history before the concusions are even uncovered.

Oh yeah and another one of my fav actors Ed Norton also told them to go f**k themselves.

I agree on that - kudos to both for choosing not to participate in that ridiculous film (complete with a lone gunman ex marine gone nuts - give me a break). I hated it - and I can't STAND Affleck. He's such a twit.. watch him on one of his Bill Maher appearances.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2009, 10:53:51 pm »
I agree on that - kudos to both for choosing not to participate in that ridiculous film (complete with a lone gunman ex marine gone nuts - give me a break). I hated it - and I can't STAND Affleck. He's such a twit.. watch him on one of his Bill Maher appearances.

I remember when he was on with Ron Paul. Everyone loved RP and Ben was like "yeah but it will never work, Obama is the man" or some other shit.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUYDt7kC3Z0

DL Hugley was also on a different Bill Maher episode and was a bit upset that RP said the civil war did not need to happen.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OeeevXtlDY

But DL Hugley has a brain and Affleck does not, so DL studied what RP said and found out he was right.  DL then brought RP onto his show and to this day it is about the best Ron Paul interviews ever.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVcbxkM1F4U

Offline Freeski

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2009, 10:56:50 pm »
There's almost too much goodness here on this forum. f**k the man!
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2009, 10:58:17 pm »
I will check those out... DLHugley may have seen this video with Howard Zinn, "The Three Holy Wars" which would explain (perhaps) Ron Paul's comments. The three 'sacrosanct' wars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBYI97cUgU

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2009, 11:37:26 pm »
I will check those out... DLHugley may have seen this video with Howard Zinn, "The Three Holy Wars" which would explain (perhaps) Ron Paul's comments. The three 'sacrosanct' wars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBYI97cUgU

Zinn?!?!?! I hope not. I bought all of Zinn's books but he went completely NWO psycho... http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=71665.0

You do not need Zinn's blinders to see what is plainly evident, the British Crown incited the South because the 10th Amendment was being enforced state after state.  Lincoln upon finding out that it was the British creating the uprising shifted the war to be about slavery and the British had to back off. There were many plans to abolish slavery the same way every other country did - without war. But the British Crown would not have it. They still rule today, but people now see through all of their lies and deceptions.

Offline Harconen

Blackwater Accused of Creating 'Killing Program'
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2009, 12:00:20 am »
Blackwater Accused of Creating 'Killing Program'

A firearms and tactics instructor at Blackwater Worldwide is pictured here. According to a memo obtained by SPIEGEL: "The CIA hired Blackwater to conduct targeted killings in Afghanistan."

Spiegel
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 03:59 UTC
http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,644405,00.html

Death Squad

A memo obtained by Spiegel indicates that cooperation between the CIA and private security firm Blackwater was deeper than previously known. SPIEGEL has uncovered further details about a plan to set up squads for targeted killings of suspected al-Qaida leadership in Afghanistan.

On Wednesday, the CIA disclosed that it had hired private security contractor Blackwater to kill senior al-Qaida members. The assassination-program has since drawn strong criticism in Washington. However, Spiegel has learned that the level of cooperation between the CIA and the paid mercenaries at Blackwater was even deeper than previously known.

In a memo obtained by Spiegel, two former employees describe details of cooperation between the firm and the intelligence agency that then-Vice President Dick Cheney asked the CIA not to disclose to the United States Congress. Even today, members of Congress do not have a complete image of the activities Blackwater undertook on behalf of the government.

The intelligence service commissioned Blackwater and its subsidiaries to transport terror suspects from Guantanamo to interrogations at secret prison camps in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Uzbekistan. The paper identifies aircraft movements and unveils how the flights were disguised. The memo says: "The CIA hired Blackwater to conduct extraordinary renditions". And: "Blackwater flew the rendition targets from Fort Perry and Cuba to Kandahar, Afghanistan."

Blackwater also supported the CIA with other controversial activities during the Bush years, the memo states. "The CIA hired Blackwater to conduct targeted killings in Afghanistan," it reads. In July, the new CIA chief appointed by President Barack Obama, Leon Panetta first discussed an "assassination program" with members of Congress in a classified meeting.

The aim of the program was to recruit special commandos who could be trained to conduct assassinations of al-Qaida leadership. Over the years though, CIA officials told members of Senate, the program never really managed to get out of the planning stage.

A "Hitman"

Now, further details have emerged. The memo names five participants who were responsible for building the assassination team, including a member of the Blackwater's paratrooper team and an employee of Blackwater Security Consulting, who, according to the memo was meant to be used as a "hitman." The most important person named in the memo is the former third from the top at the CIA, ex-executive director Alvin Bernard Krongard. "Krongard set up the teams," the paper claims. After he left the CIA, Krongard switched to Blackwater's advisory board.

Confronted with the details of the memo on Wednesday, neither Blackwater nor Krongard would comment on questions submitted by Spiegel before its printing deadline on Friday. Asked for comment by Spiegel, a CIA spokesperson would neither confirm nor deny that the transports of prisoners had taken place or the existence of a killing program. "We do not comment on our contractual relationships," he said. However, he said the details of the memo included "mistakes," although he chose not to elaborate. Stacy DeLuke, the spokewoman of Blackwater (now called Xe Services), answered in an e-mail: "Due to the sensitive nature of these allegations, we are not inclined to comment at this time."

Next week, a federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, is expected to decide whether it will hear a civil suit against Blackwater by the company's victims.

Following the al-Qaida attack on the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, then-President George W. Bush and Cheney deployed private security firms in grand style. Almost overnight, Blackwater transformed itself into an empire funded to the tune of $1 billion by US taxpayers. The company was able to obtain 70 percent of its commissions without going through the standard bidding process. Blackwater also continues to work with the Obama administration. The firm currently handles security for all US diplomats in Afghanistan. However, an increasing number of Democrats on Capitol Hill are calling for the US government to cease working with Blackwater.

Editor's note: This has been translated from a German-language press release published by Spiegel on Saturday. The full version of the story will be posted on the Spiegel International Web site on Monday.
Resist. Rebel. Cry out to all peoples and nations from the sky as the lightening flashes from the east to the west and judge the living and the dead.Or choose submission and slavery.

The light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.  (John 1:5)

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2009, 02:09:45 am »
Report: CIA hired Blackwater to transfer Gitmo detainees
http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/08/22/cia-blackwater-transfer-gitmo/
By Raw Story Published: August 22, 2009

New details of security firm’s role in CIA hit squad: Had plan to hire ‘hitman’ for targeted killings in Afghanistan

The CIA hired security firm Blackwater to transfer detainees from Guantanamo Bay to secret prisons in Asia for interrogation, the German weekly Der Spiegel says.

The newsmagazine cites a “memo” it said it had obtained, written by two former Blackwater employees whose identities are not revealed.

“The intelligence service commissioned Blackwater and its subsidiaries to transport terror suspects from Guantanamo to interrogations at secret prison camps in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Uzbekistan,” Der Spiegel reports.

The document “identifies the flights and reveals how these flights had been concealed.”

A CIA spokesman told the magazine the memo contained “errors.”

Press reports on Thursday said the CIA hired Blackwater in 2004 as part of a failed program to find and kill top Al-Qaeda terrorists. CIA director Leon Panetta learned about the plan in June and stopped it.

The memo obtained by Der Spiegel indicates that the CIA hired Blackwater to carry out attacks against targets in Afghanistan.

The two authors of the memos pin most of the blame on the former number-three at the CIA, Alvin Bernard Krongard. The magazine reports:

The memo names five participants who were responsible for building the assassination team, including a member of the Blackwater’s paratrooper team and an employee of Blackwater Security Consulting, who, according to the memo was meant to be used as a “hitman.” The most important person named in the memo is the former third from the top at the CIA, ex-executive director Alvin Bernard Krongard. “Krongard set up the teams,” the paper claims. After he left the CIA, Krongard switched to Blackwater’s advisory board.

Confronted with the details of the memo on Wednesday, neither Blackwater nor Krongard would comment on questions submitted by SPIEGEL before its printing deadline on Friday. Asked for comment by SPIEGEL, a CIA spokesperson would neither confirm nor deny that the transports of prisoners had taken place or the existence of a killing program.

Blackwater renamed itself Xe after a shooting incident in Iraq in 2007 that left as many as 17 civilians dead.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2009, 07:14:51 am »
Zinn?!?!?! I hope not. I bought all of Zinn's books but he went completely NWO psycho... http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=71665.0

You do not need Zinn's blinders to see what is plainly evident, the British Crown incited the South because the 10th Amendment was being enforced state after state.  Lincoln upon finding out that it was the British creating the uprising shifted the war to be about slavery and the British had to back off. There were many plans to abolish slavery the same way every other country did - without war. But the British Crown would not have it. They still rule today, but people now see through all of their lies and deceptions.

Ugh. I really liked Zinn's work. Bummer. However, his take on the three wars I think is worth listening to. I'm sad that he seems to have put the breaks on the 'truth' - that was his hallmark all these years.  Wonder if that's because he can't cope with all this new information.. he's getting old, maybe he just doesn't have the capacity to absorb/accept it. I can't imagine that he's bought into the NWO bs - more that he's hiding under the covers (of his books).

Offline stella

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2009, 07:56:09 am »
Will Blackwater become the new SS?  Will they be used to enforce martial law?

my thoughts exactly - these guys are already acting in unconstitutional ways so any oath they may have ever taken is clearly meaningless. 

Blackwater:the military::the federal reserve:the treasury dept.

Offline donnay

• Live Free Or Die Trying!
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2009, 09:39:24 am »
my thoughts exactly - these guys are already acting in unconstitutional ways so any oath they may have ever taken is clearly meaningless. 

Blackwater:the military::the federal reserve:the treasury dept.

Hey don't forget folks, these mercenaries have been training law enforcement here:  http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2684-Law-Enforcement-Examiner~y2009m8d3-Mercenaries-training-US-local-police-a-new-trend

Please visit my website: https://www.theherbsofthefield.com/

Offline thnkfstpal

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2009, 01:55:43 pm »
Scahill completely dismantled the show, AWESOME!!

Offline xopatriot

HBO replaying Scahill interview now 2:21 CST AM 8/24/07
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2009, 02:21:55 am »
For those who missed it if you are up ... watch now.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil;  my cup overflows.

Offline Freebird100

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2009, 04:45:20 pm »
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/142155/jeremy_scahill_slams_nbc%27s_chuck_todd_on_%22real_time_with_bill_maher%22/

Jeremy Scahill Slams NBC's Chuck Todd On "Real Time With Bill Maher"

Posted by Sahil Kapur, Huffington Post at 8:00 AM on August 24, 2009.

Scahill forcefully criticized journalists and lawmakers for treading lightly Blackwater and its role in CIA assassinations.

Jeremy Scahill sparred with NBC political director Chuck Todd on Friday, forcefully criticizing journalists and lawmakers for treading lightly on Blackwater's recently-revealed misdeeds.

Newly declassified memos this week showed that the CIA hired Blackwater, a private military security company, years ago as part of an effort to kill senior Al-Qaeda officials and other designated terrorists.

Scahill, who has written a popular book about Blackwater, had scathing comments about the organization, calling it "Erik Prince's Christian supremacist fighting force to eliminate Muslims and destroy Islam globally, and then they bill taxpayers again for this killing that they're doing and they're not held to the same standard as soldiers."

"There are Iraqi and Afghan people that are forced to face down against them, when, I'm sorry, the U.S. Congress does nothing to stop it," he continued, "and journalists have done nothing to hold the White House accountable now, Chuck, or under Bush. This has not been an issue and yet it constitutes more than half of the fighting force in Afghanistan."

Scahill singled out Todd, a fellow panelist on HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher", for not taking the issue more seriously. "Chuck, you called it political cat-nip to talk about the CIA and Cheney's role in this, because it distracts from the important issues," he said. "This is a central issue and you called it cable cat-nip."

Todd responded by alleging that even if journalists reported more vigorously on the issue, it was unlikely that the organization would ever be held accountable. He said it would turn into "a political food fight" where "Congress would not be able to get any prosecutions done," suggesting that Blackwater would inevitably find a way to get off the hook.

According to Scahill, Todd confronted him after the show. In an email to Salon's Glenn Greenwald, Scahill said the following:

Right as we walked off stage, he said to me "that was a cheap shot." I said "what are you talking about?" and he said "you know it." I then said that I monitor msm coverage very closely and asked him what was not true that I said on the show. He then replied: "that's not the point. You sullied my reputation on TV."

Jay Leno, also a guest on Maher's show, praised Scahill for his work on Blackwater but joked that it may be putting his life in danger. "Why are you still alive? Are you paranoid?" said Leno.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2009, 04:51:04 pm »
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/142155/jeremy_scahill_slams_nbc%27s_chuck_todd_on_%22real_time_with_bill_maher%22/

Jeremy Scahill Slams NBC's Chuck Todd On "Real Time With Bill Maher"

Posted by Sahil Kapur, Huffington Post at 8:00 AM on August 24, 2009.

Scahill forcefully criticized journalists and lawmakers for treading lightly Blackwater and its role in CIA assassinations.

Jeremy Scahill sparred with NBC political director Chuck Todd on Friday, forcefully criticizing journalists and lawmakers for treading lightly on Blackwater's recently-revealed misdeeds.

Newly declassified memos this week showed that the CIA hired Blackwater, a private military security company, years ago as part of an effort to kill senior Al-Qaeda officials and other designated terrorists.

Scahill, who has written a popular book about Blackwater, had scathing comments about the organization, calling it "Erik Prince's Christian supremacist fighting force to eliminate Muslims and destroy Islam globally, and then they bill taxpayers again for this killing that they're doing and they're not held to the same standard as soldiers."

"There are Iraqi and Afghan people that are forced to face down against them, when, I'm sorry, the U.S. Congress does nothing to stop it," he continued, "and journalists have done nothing to hold the White House accountable now, Chuck, or under Bush. This has not been an issue and yet it constitutes more than half of the fighting force in Afghanistan."

Scahill singled out Todd, a fellow panelist on HBO's "Real Time With Bill Maher", for not taking the issue more seriously. "Chuck, you called it political cat-nip to talk about the CIA and Cheney's role in this, because it distracts from the important issues," he said. "This is a central issue and you called it cable cat-nip."

Todd responded by alleging that even if journalists reported more vigorously on the issue, it was unlikely that the organization would ever be held accountable. He said it would turn into "a political food fight" where "Congress would not be able to get any prosecutions done," suggesting that Blackwater would inevitably find a way to get off the hook.

According to Scahill, Todd confronted him after the show. In an email to Salon's Glenn Greenwald, Scahill said the following:

Right as we walked off stage, he said to me "that was a cheap shot." I said "what are you talking about?" and he said "you know it." I then said that I monitor msm coverage very closely and asked him what was not true that I said on the show. He then replied: "that's not the point. You sullied my reputation on TV."

Jay Leno, also a guest on Maher's show, praised Scahill for his work on Blackwater but joked that it may be putting his life in danger. "Why are you still alive? Are you paranoid?" said Leno.

"You sullied my reputation on TV."

BULLSHIT!

Chuck Todd has sullied his own reputation by obeying some f-d up globalist cabal rather than thinking about the American people and the very country that gives him everything he has. WTF? Scahill spoke truth to power. Chuck cannot handle the truth. He continually refuses to give a shit about the American people. He is in place to continually and purposefuly divert the will of the American people.

Offline hardrain77

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2009, 04:52:24 pm »
"According to Scahill, Todd confronted him after the show. In an email to Salon's Glenn Greenwald, Scahill said the following:

As if that little weasel Chuck Todd doesn't have a sullied rep already from being such a fluffing mouthpiece for the msm.

Scahill is a badass. One of the best on the "left" side, if you will.
"Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacturing, are afraid of something. They know there is a power somewhere, so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so pervasive, they had better not speak above their breath."

Woodrow Wilson

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2009, 05:02:46 pm »
"According to Scahill, Todd confronted him after the show. In an email to Salon's Glenn Greenwald, Scahill said the following:

As if that little weasel Chuck Todd doesn't have a sullied rep already from being such a fluffing mouthpiece for the msm.

Scahill is a badass. One of the best on the "left" side, if you will.

he and Greenwald are not on the left or the right in my opinion, they are on the side of the constitution.

Offline Freebird100

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2009, 05:34:59 pm »
Is there really anything good about Blackwater as far as being beneficial to the american people? They are another company that gouges the taxpayers in the name of a bogus war on terror.They operate as a goon squad for the NWO and seem to be above the law.In the end they could become a very real threat to the american people.

We need more truth tellers like Jeremy Scahill.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2009, 09:41:01 am »
Watching this again, I noticed that Scahill was really up against it...

The panel:
Jay Leno: Talk show host, new series coming to NBC (GE)
Chuck Todd: White House correspondent for NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, etc.. (GE).
Congresswoman Jan Shakowsky (D-Ill.) who depends on the good graces of NBC to promote her in a positive light
Bill Maher: ratings are top on his mind... (Who owns HBO???)

Vs.

Jeremy Scahill who just ROCKED on that show. Funny thing how the TRUTH and FACTS can beat their asses every single time. He drove Chuck Todd NUTS calling him out for the crappy job he's done.

Offline Dig

• Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2009, 10:17:49 am »
Watching this again, I noticed that Scahill was really up against it...

The panel:
Jay Leno: Talk show host, new series coming to NBC (GE)
Chuck Todd: White House correspondent for NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, etc.. (GE).
Congresswoman Jan Shakowsky (D-Ill.) who depends on the good graces of NBC to promote her in a positive light
Bill Maher: ratings are top on his mind... (Who owns HBO???)

Vs.

Jeremy Scahill who just ROCKED on that show. Funny thing how the TRUTH and FACTS can beat their asses every single time. He drove Chuck Todd NUTS calling him out for the crappy job he's done.

I think Kucinich said it best:

"No one is questioning the fact that you are working hard. What we want to know is who you are working for."

That applies to all the MSM stooges.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2009, 09:19:31 pm »
That comment Chuck Todd made to Scahill, "You sullied my reputation" is just laughable! If Chuck took any lessons from this, he'd understand how to get a 'reputation' as a news reporter in the first place! He's a frigging mouthpiece for Obama.
I think he was upset because Scahill sells WAY MORE BOOKS than Todd does... and Todd's book looks like a snoozer. Something to read when you can't fall asleep at night... puts you out in 5 minutes.

Offline donnay

« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2009, 04:04:12 am »
That comment Chuck Todd made to Scahill, "You sullied my reputation" is just laughable! If Chuck took any lessons from this, he'd understand how to get a 'reputation' as a news reporter in the first place! He's a frigging mouthpiece for Obama.
I think he was upset because Scahill sells WAY MORE BOOKS than Todd does... and Todd's book looks like a snoozer. Something to read when you can't fall asleep at night... puts you out in 5 minutes.

Damn!  I wish I had one of Todd's books then, 'cause I am having a bout with insomnia at the moment.

On a serious note; what a whiny little baby Todd is--blaming Scahill for sullying his reputation?  Scahill was right, Helen Thomas is the only on out there asking the hard questions, the rest of the press core are useless!

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 07:38:04 am »
Damn!  I wish I had one of Todd's books then, 'cause I am having a bout with insomnia at the moment.

On a serious note; what a whiny little baby Todd is--blaming Scahill for sullying his reputation?  Scahill was right, Helen Thomas is the only on out there asking the hard questions, the rest of the press core are useless!

That's right! I loved the plug for Helen Thomas... the only journalist with ballz in the white house press corps.

Offline Jayman931

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 12:08:47 pm »
This is why our media sucks...I didn't realize that there were more private 6-figure fighters than U.S soldiers....

Im still shaking my head...

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 12:13:58 pm »
This is why our media sucks...I didn't realize that there were more private 6-figure fighters than U.S soldiers....

Im still shaking my head...

Yes - can you imagine how demoralizing it is for US military troops to be paid peanuts compared to the luxury-outfitted Blackwater troops raking in big bucks? Anyone who 'volunteers' for the military these days needs to be deprogrammed. They're treated like crap, then they get shipped out and their families are treated like crap. When they get wounded, they come home and they're treated like crap by the VA.

Offline donnay

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2009, 12:16:46 pm »
Our soldier are cannon fodder--I have always supported the troops by saying end these illegal wars!

Offline Harconen

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2009, 06:58:29 pm »
U.S. Increasing Use of Private Contractors in War Zone

Jeremy Scahill
Rebel Reports
Tue, 25 Aug 2009 02:32 UTC
http://rebelreports.com/post/171408295/u-s-increasing-use-of-private-contractors-in-war-zone

The Department of Defense has released an updated census http://www.acq.osd.mil/log/PS/hot_topics.html of Pentagon contractors deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan and CENTCOM's area of operations. The overall number of contractors in the third quarter of 2009 increased slightly from 243,000 to 244,000, which means that private forces continue to constitute about half of the total US force deployed in these two wars.

Two other statistics jump out. First, in Iraq, the DoD reports that there was "a 19 % increase (from 10,743 to 13,232) of armed DoD PSCs in Iraq compared to the 2nd quarter FY 2009 census." The DoD says the "increase can be attributed to an increased need for PSCs to provide security as the military begins to drawdown forces and to our continued improved ability to account for subcontractors who are providing security services." In other words, less soldiers means more mercenaries in Iraq.

Meanwhile, in Afghanistan, there continue to be more private contractors than US soldiers. There was "a 20% increase (from 4,111 to 5,165) of armed DoD PSCs in Afghanistan compared to the 1st quarter FY 2009 census," according to the DoD. That increase is, predictably, linked to the overall "build up of forces" in Afghanistan.

In neither Iraq, nor Afghanistan, do these numbers include the armed contractors working for the US Department of State or for private entities or individuals. That means that the Blackwater, DynCorp and Triple Canopy forces working for the State Department are not included in this count. Nor are those who work for the CIA or other covert US agencies. In other words, these statistics are a conservative estimate of the total number of private armed personnel on the US payroll in these countries.

In Iraq, there has been an overall 10% decrease in the total number of private contractors - there are now 119,706. According to DoD this is "due to ongoing efforts to reduce the contractor footprint in Iraq." Interestingly, there has been an increase in the overall number of contractors in Afghanistan - "a 9% increase (from 68K to 74K) in contractor personnel in Afghanistan." Kuwait has also seen a "significant" increase in US contractor personnel. The report was prepared by the Office of the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Program Support.
Resist. Rebel. Cry out to all peoples and nations from the sky as the lightening flashes from the east to the west and judge the living and the dead.Or choose submission and slavery.

The light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.  (John 1:5)

Offline Freeski

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2009, 08:14:52 pm »
Our soldier are cannon fodder--I have always supported the troops by saying end these illegal wars!

Exactly.
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

nofakenews

Blackwater used recruits on secret CIA program "death squad program"
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2009, 10:52:07 am »
WASHINGTON - When the CIA revived a plan to kill or capture terrorists in 2004, the agency turned to the well-connected security company then known as Blackwater USA.

With Blackwater's lucrative government security work and contacts arrayed in hot spots around the world, company officials offered the services of foreigners supposedly skilled at tracking terrorists in lawless regions and countries where the CIA had no working relationships with the government.

Blackwater told the CIA that it "could put people on the ground to provide the surveillance and support — all of the things you need to conduct an operation," a former senior CIA official familiar with the secret program told The Associated Press.

But the CIA's use of the private contractor as part of its now-abandoned plan to dispatch death squads skirted concerns now re-emerging with recent disclosures about Blackwater's role.

Did recruits have the skills?
The former senior CIA official said he had doubts during his tenure about whether Blackwater's foreign recruits had mastered the necessary skills to pull off such a high-stakes operation.

While Blackwater won the government's confidence by handling security and training operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, the 2004 decision by the CIA to entrust the North Carolina-based company with such a sensitive overseas operation struck some former agency officials as highly unusual.

"The question remains: Why do we need Blackwater?" said Charles Faddis, a former department chief at the CIA's Counterterrorism Center who retired in 2008 and was not involved in the secret program.

The former senior CIA official who had knowledge of the program explained that "you wouldn't want to have American fingerprints on it."

The former official and several other current and former officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because the information remains classified.

A message left with Xe spokeswoman Stacy DeLuke was not returned. Blackwater changed its corporate name to Xe Services after a series of controversies, including a September 2007 shooting in Baghdad by five company security guards that left 17 civilians dead.

The former senior CIA official said that close to a dozen Blackwater "surrogates" were recruited to join the death squad program. The recruits, the former official said, were not told they were working for the CIA. The official did not know how Blackwater found them.

Too many risks involved
The program reportedly cost millions of dollars over an eight-year span. A precise figure is not available because of the agency's classified budget.

The operation had several lives under four successive CIA directors: George Tenet started the program during the Bush administration, but canceled it, another former CIA official said, because there were too many risks involved.

The operation was revived under Tenet's successor, Porter Goss, who ran the agency from 2004 to 2006. Michael Hayden, who served from 2006 to 2009, downgraded the program to intelligence-gathering only. Leon Panetta, the current director, killed the operation in June.

The former senior CIA official said that after the death squad project was revived under Goss in 2004, there were serious questions about whether Blackwater's operatives had demonstrated the ability to conduct clandestine surveillance and maintain fictitious identities with credible-appearing faked documents.

Their need to provide rock-solid cover stories was essential, the former official said, adding that they had to have a "damn good reason to be there."

A spokesman for Goss declined comment.

The former senior CIA official said that during his tenure it was unlikely that the Blackwater recruits would have been involved directly in the mechanics of the killings. Instead, they were learning how to spy on targets and operate discreetly.

Click for related content
First Read: In defense of hiring CIA contractors

No operation was ever approved
The trainees never got a chance to prove themselves. They were never provided a target and no operation was ever approved. CIA spokesman George Little said the program yielded no successes.

The CIA started planning for its death squad project shortly after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The agency wanted the ability to target terrorists at close range, providing an alternative to air strikes that ran the risk of accidentally killing civilians.

Another former senior intelligence official said the use of Blackwater was not the only plan considered to kill or capture terrorists.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32615706/ns/us_news-security/

Yeah I'm sure they really didn't know but even if they didn't the fact of cia funding them should be enough as they help fund alciada...

Offline CitizenInvestigator

• Citizen Investigator's Channel
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2009, 03:02:03 pm »
Jeremy Scahill: Obama Policies Sound A Lot Like Bush

In this clip from the June 5, 2009 episode of Real Time With Bill Maher, Jeremy Scahill says the Obama's policies sound a lot like Bush's policies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF0h2NNMRqs

Offline Overcast

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »
Yes, outstanding.
And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Offline fraction

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2009, 06:24:44 pm »
I found these forums when I was looking for Scahill's interview in its entirety in late August.  At the time I had some interesting counterpoints due to the fact that I have done extensive contract work for the CIA and currently for other federal agencies on the ground in the middle east.  I have to look over this forum thread again because it took almost 3 weeks for my login to be approved.  Anyways, there were some interesting perspectives that I came across on this thread, some well written and insightful text as well as some completely erroneous information and skewed viewpoints on the subject matter.  If anyone is interested whatsoever in some counterpoints from someone who has firsthand knowledge of the subject material (w/o divulging anything classified of course) I'd be interested in weighing in.  If not, well thanks for allowing me to peruse this forum.

Offline grapecrusher1

« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2009, 08:42:29 am »
I found these forums when I was looking for Scahill's interview in its entirety in late August.  At the time I had some interesting counterpoints due to the fact that I have done extensive contract work for the CIA and currently for other federal agencies on the ground in the middle east.  I have to look over this forum thread again because it took almost 3 weeks for my login to be approved.  Anyways, there were some interesting perspectives that I came across on this thread, some well written and insightful text as well as some completely erroneous information and skewed viewpoints on the subject matter.  If anyone is interested whatsoever in some counterpoints from someone who has firsthand knowledge of the subject material (w/o divulging anything classified of course) I'd be interested in weighing in.  If not, well thanks for allowing me to peruse this forum.

A full spectrum of info and opinions are posted here,bad, good and some excellent.  For me first-hand factual inside knowledge/thoughts are the most valuable resource of this forum and I believe a good portion here feel the same.  So fire away and expect a level of scrutiny.
"The meek shall inherit NOTHING" -- Zappa