Author Topic: Washington CyberSecurity Official Resigns  (Read 4217 times)

Offline A Who

• 12.160Mhz
Washington CyberSecurity Official Resigns
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:31:11 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/03/AR2009080302697.html

The White House's senior aide on cybersecurity has decided to resign following delays in the appointment of a coordinator to spearhead the government's efforts to protect the nation's computer networks.

Melissa E. Hathaway, who also served as a cybersecurity aide during the Bush administration, had been a contender for the position of cybersecurity coordinator. But in an interview Monday, she said she had withdrawn her application.

"I wasn't willing to continue to wait any longer, because I'm not empowered right now to continue to drive the change," she said. "I've concluded that I can do more now from a different role," most likely in the private sector.

Hathaway noted that it has been two months since President Obama made a highly acclaimed speech on the importance of cybersecurity and pledged to "personally" select a cybersecurity coordinator.

A colleague close to Hathaway said she had become dismayed by the delay in the appointment. The colleague, who spoke on condition of anonymity, added that Hathaway had "the sense that this was very political, that she has been too closely tied to the Bush administration."

Industry officials have voiced frustration at the White House's inability to fill the job. One former government official said 30 people have been interviewed for the position.

Under Obama, the cybersecurity coordinator will be responsible for working with Congress to help fund a new national cybersecurity strategy and to align policies among civilian, military and intelligence agencies.
ad_icon

Hathaway was recruited in 2007 by then-Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell to work on cybersecurity issues. She played a key role in overseeing the Bush administration's Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI), which consisted of 12 mostly classified projects to improve the defense of government computer networks.

"We've made a lot of progress in the last 30 months that I've been in government, and now it's time to move on," Hathaway said, adding that she was proud of having completed the White House 60-day review of cyber policies and programs. "It's up to the administration to take the next step."

Hathaway said her last day will be Aug. 21.

"Melissa should be commended for the excellent work she did in pulling together the CNCI under President Bush," said Paul Kurtz, a cybersecurity official in the Clinton and Bush administrations and an Obama transition team member. "She should also be commended for taking on the 60-day report for a brand new administration."

Ellen McCarthy, president of the nonprofit Intelligence and National Security Alliance, said: "Whether she's in the government or out of the government, we need to keep her as part of the dialogue."
"Build A Great Tomorrow, Hear My Words Today."

http://snardfarker.ning.com/profile/Awho

Offline AtomicBlythe

Re: Washington CyberSecurity Official Resigns
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 08:36:49 pm »
They can't fill the job?  Hmmmm must getting harder to find good sheep these days?
"Civilization" has gone completely forking mad and I am taking my family and running for the hills.

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:47:13 pm »
ANOTHER ONE?

WHAT IS GOING ON?
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline A Who

• 12.160Mhz
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:51:00 pm »
Yeah, I think she stepped down because of the same reason the original Cyber Security head stepped down before obama established the internet security czar. Something not good here is a-brewin. Inter net 2.0 maybe here on an earlier notice than we thought, or who knows what, but it's driving me crazy. I'm too in love and obsessed with using the internet to give it up right now...  >:( :'(

Offline A Who

• 12.160Mhz
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:17:36 pm »
I KNEW IT, THOSE BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! obama is putting a "new permanent replacement" in her position. F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we're done for, kiss the some what free internet good bye. >:( >:( >:(

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10302297-38.html

Acting White House Cyberspace Director Melissa Hathaway, who has reportedly resigned her post, addresses cybersecurity during the RSA computer security conference in April.
(Credit: James Martin/CNET)

Melissa Hathaway, acting cyberspace director for the White House's National Security and Homeland Security councils, has resigned from her post, citing personal reasons, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The White House press office did not immediately respond to a call seeking confirmation of her resignation, but a spokesman has offered an e-mail statement to other publications.

"We are grateful for her dedicated service and for the significant progress she and her team have made on our national cybersecurity strategy," White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said in an e-mail to the publication Federal Computer Week.

The timing of Hathaway's resignation is a bit surprising, given that President Obama was reportedly getting close to choosing a permanent replacement for her post as the country's "cyberczar," a position he created in late May. Hathaway, who had worked for the director of national intelligence in the Bush administration, led the Obama administration's recent 60-day review of the federal government's cybersecurity efforts.

At one point, Hathaway was considered a leading candidate to take over the cyberczar post permanently. But the Journal said she took her name out of the running two weeks ago. "She said she was leaving for personal reasons and that she plans to remain working in the cybersecurity arena," according to the Journal post, which added that her resignation will take effect August 21.

Anti_Illuminati

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 01:05:47 pm »
I KNEW IT, THOSE BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! obama is putting a "new permanent replacement" in her position. F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we're done for, kiss the some what free internet good bye. >:( >:( >:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ

Offline A Who

• 12.160Mhz
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ
hahaha, Bad ass Anti_Illuminati. Is it just me, or does Zod look a lot like Daniel Estulin? Thanks Anti_Illuminati, I needed that, this destruction of the some what free internet has really got me down, I really don't know what I'll do if I can't use it anymore (Except for maybe go on mass walks, and read a ton of books).

Offline rawiron1

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 02:10:02 pm »
No one wants to run Commerce either.  The sheep are waking up and don't want to be thrown to the wolves as scape goats.

Jason
Jason the Fed

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 02:52:14 pm »
No one wants to run Commerce either.  The sheep are waking up and don't want to be thrown to the wolves as scape goats.

Jason

Who the F wants to be the counter of Jay Rockefeller who heads up the commerce committee. THe guy is a certifiable psychopath.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Anti_Illuminati

Re: ***ALERT***: DIRECTOR of U.S. CERT, Mischel Kwon (DHS) RESIGNED
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 11:18:17 pm »

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/cat_cyberwarfare.html

Resignations at the Top of the Cyber Sec Ranks

Mischel Kwon has resigned as director of the U.S. Computer Emergency Response Team in the Department of Homeland Security. She was the fourth U.S. CERT director in five years.
 It is believed she will remain in authority until September 2nd of this year. This comes at a particularly interesting time. The same day she resigned, Phil Reitinger, the director of the National Cyber Security Center at DHS, said in a statement that the administration "has made cyber security a top priority." One article stated that Kwon had become frustrated by bureaucratic obstacles and a lack of authority to fulfill her mission.

Kwon's resignation follows that of Rod Beckstrom who resigned back in March.
He claimed the lack of support inside the agency and what he described as a power grab by the National Security Agency were the reasons for his departure.

Earlier this week Melissa Hathaway, who was regarded as one of the top cyber advisor to the White House recently resigned as well. So why did she resign? Good question and a question that Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), a senior ranking member on the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee, wants answered. Collins has requested that her staff members interview Hathaway regarding why she is leaving. Hathaway would only site personal reasons for her resignation which is effective August 24th.

That being said Hathaway reportedly noted in her comments that it has been two months since President Obama made a highly publicized speech stating the importance of cyber security. Hathaway has been quoted as saying "I wasn't willing to continue to wait any longer, because I'm not empowered right now to continue to drive the change."

These resignations highlight a much larger problem, it shows the inability of the federal government to hire and retain qualified cyber security leaders. Two months after President Obama pledged to "personally" select someone to be the White House's cyber security coordinator (AKA Cyber Czar), the position remains unfilled. He said that it was time the country had one official to coordinate against likely future attacks on the nation's technological infrastructure. One report by Government Info Security says that about 30 people have been considered for the job and yet the position remains unfilled.

Why not takers? What do they know that we don't? The nation's security is actually at risk and not having a cyber czar doesn't help. The continued churn has other concerning implications that point to a much bigger issue.

-- Kevin Coleman
August 10, 2009 06:32 AM | Cyber-warfare

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 11:23:13 pm »
This is a fake job - that's why they can't keep anyone in it!

The position is a setup for scapegoating... the actual power is at the NSA, and it will remain at NSA - no matter who the white house puts in that job. It's a complete no-win situation, which is why anyone worth a damn would never remain in it. They will have no authority, and all the responsibility. It's a bullshit job.
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40