Author Topic: Army tests James Bond style tank that is 'invisible'  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
Army tests James Bond style tank that is 'invisible'
« on: November 01, 2007, 01:02:02 am »
Army tests James Bond style tank that is 'invisible'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=490669&in_page_id=1811
Last updated at 11:56am on 30th October 2007

New technology that can make tanks invisible has been unveiled by the Ministry of Defence. In secret trials last week, the Army said it had made a vehicle completely disappear and predicted that an invisible tank would be ready for service by 2012. The new technology uses cameras and projectors to beam images of the surrounding landscape onto a tank.

Now you see it: How the tank might look with background images beamed onto the side

The result is that anyone looking in the direction of the vehicle only sees what is beyond it and not the tank itself. A soldier, who was at the trials, said: "This technology is incredible. If I hadn't been present I wouldn't have believed it. I looked across the fields and just saw grass and trees - but in reality I was staring down the barrel of a tank gun." How the technology works in a combat situation is very sensitive, but the MoD is believed to be testing a military jacket that works on the same principles. It is the type of innovation normally associated with James Bond, and the brains behind the latest technology is the MoD's very own "Q" - Professor Sir John Pendry, of Imperial College London. He said the only drawback was the reliability of the cameras and projectors. But he added: "The next stage is to make the tank invisible without them - which is intricate and complicated, but possible."
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline Capt. Obvious

Re: Army tests James Bond style tank that is 'invisible'
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 01:04:57 am »
"How the tank might look with background images beamed onto the side"

Yeah, I've heard of this technology before. I'll believe it when I see it.

little pun there

Offline Femacamper

• TRUNEWS
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:22:12 am »
I heard about that years back...

I'm sure it could be applied to body armor and all sorts of other stuff too.

Offline time2organize

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 03:46:55 pm »
I have heard about them using a similar technology to cloak fighter planes. Maybe some of the mysterious planes seen flying arround the Trade center during 911 were using this technology.

Offline chilicharger665

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 03:49:17 pm »
Batteries, batteries, batteries... Bush will request a $45 billion "emergency funds" appropriation just to pay for the amount of batteries needed to run this stuff! If they ever use it here, EMP FTW!  I'm sure the technology is awesome and all that, but there are always downfalls...

Offline Rufus Shinra

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 08:25:12 pm »

Now you see it: How the tank might look with background images beamed onto the side

Some manner of invisibility devices probably exist...
But "highly sophisticated camouflage" is more accurate.

That pic though... is soooo fake... i know it's just for illustration, but sheesh.

But SOME people might acutally think it's real - like aliens blowing up the Liberty Tower.

Here, have another tank turn invisible:

I made it, very quickly  :D  didn't want to waste too much time on it...

Here's the original:

Empire of the City -- Part 1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4675077383139148549

Please take your time to watch Part 1 and Part 2... it's very informative.

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 08:28:49 pm »
it just goes to show that they can get funding for anything if they just dream it up.  Even invisible, it is not like an infrared scanner, noise detector, smell of exhaust, or the obstacles getting trampled might alert people.  I always thought tanks were for force not stealth.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline chilicharger665

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 08:30:13 pm »
That just goes back to your original assertion: if they can get money to do it, they will, no matter how much money it wastes or how stupid of any idea it is. Most tank sights are pure thermal these days anyway... how stupid are these designers? ???

Offline Rufus Shinra

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:00:36 pm »
it just goes to show that they can get funding for anything if they just dream it up.

True.

I always thought tanks were for force not stealth.

Yeah, what's next... flying submarines?  :-\

Empire of the City -- Part 1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4675077383139148549

Offline UpsetBrit

• I'M SPARTACUS!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 09:09:17 pm »
I can see this having a civilian purpose too.

Airships are silent and i saw in one of Alex Jones' videos, an airship with radar, spying on the people. Now imagine if you take that silent spy in the sky and camoflage it.
Suddenly the prospect of this technology does't look too nice.

Too often we've seen 'good ideas' used against the civilian population, either deliberately or not.

Perhaps instead this technology could be used to mask pylons and other blots on the landscape. In my opinion, this stuff should be confined to themes such as Command & Conquer.
One mind at a time...

Offline Rufus Shinra

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 09:24:21 pm »

In my opinion, this stuff should be confined to themes such as Command & Conquer.

"Now you see me, now you don't!"

Airships are silent and i saw in one of Alex Jones' videos, an airship with radar,
spying on the people. Now imagine if you take that silent spy in the sky and camoflage it.

That would actually be a lot easier... you could have some kind of huge screen fit under the blimp,
then it would only have to look at the sky above it and record what things look like and send the video
or data back to the screen under it's belly... from the ground you would hardly notice anything...

Obviously a normal television screen could not be used, though.

It would have to be a surface that could act the same way as animals that have camouflage capabilities do.

Offline changedname

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 12:25:22 pm »
this isnt unbelieveable but true.

imagine this: thin film that can display a picture like LCD only thin as paper 1-2mm thick. forgot what its called but its been around for 8 years or so.

plaster that crap all over any object and put in enough pin size cameras to get a 360 degree view of the enviroment. using a computer chip to plot the angles the images are taken from cameras, images are displayed on the opposite side film.

A CIVILIAN COULD MAKE THIS.

its not invisable its just camoflage, changing camoflage that perfectly or near perfect can mimic the enviroment behind the object to the observor. couple that with heat shielding and radar limiting stealth paint and you could foreseeably sneak an entire army into an enemy base before launching an attack.
sound would give away the position however. unless your not using conventional explosive but energy weapons.

what god damned sci fi nightmare times are these?

true invisablitly is coming, using a "super lense" light is reflected with a zero level of light refraction. i think that techno babble is what i heard. my understanding is a lense that is a perfect U shape bends light wave lengths into the invisable spectrum of light. hence a material made of super lenses could render any object completely invisable or rather a complete blur of nothing that would sillouette the background image, the camoflage method above is probally better in that case so thats what they are using.

*sorry for spelling mistakes im to lazy to fix em.

Could someone see this by using something like night vision goggles to show the heat generated by the object?

Offline Rufus Shinra

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 01:38:41 pm »
Could someone see this by using something like night vision goggles to show the heat generated by the object?

Most likely. Yeah. Definitely.

But if they have a working "stealth camouflage" (as in Metal Gear Solid),
then it would have so many flaws that thermal goggles or nightvision won't be necessary...

For example, if a stealthed-up tank was driving around in the sand, sandy dust stuff
would get stuck all over the thing and then you'd see that there was something there...

It would be useless if it was snowing... since you'd see the snow on it.

You'd see tracks from it, on almost all terrain except maybe asphalt.

Noise... The sound... even perfect invisibility does not make it silent, at all.

Even if the technology was very well made, you'd still see that something is out of place, at the bare minimum...

And regardless of whether it was put on a tank, or a car, or an airship, or whatever,
you'd always notice it because of some of the above reasons or other reasons.

Offline chilicharger665

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 04:44:22 pm »
It's only really useful for observation and sitting still.  A man portable device would up the deadliness of snipers 1000% for sure.

Offline Femacamper

• TRUNEWS
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 12:25:56 am »
Rufus - yes, they got those too.

Navy Plans Flying Submarine

Lockheed Martin’s Skunk Works, famed for the U-2 and Blackbird spy planes that flew higher than anything else in the world in their day, is trying for a different altitude record: an airplane that starts and ends its mission 150 feet underwater.

The Cormorant, a stealthy, jet-powered, autonomous aircraft that could be outfitted with either short-range weapons or surveillance equipment, is designed to launch out of the Trident missile tubes in some of the U.S. Navy’s gigantic Cold War–era Ohio-class submarines. These formerly nuke-toting subs have become less useful in a military climate evolved to favor surgical strikes over nuclear stalemates, but the Cormorant could use their now-vacant tubes to provide another unmanned option for spying on or destroying targets near the coast.

This is no easy task. The tubes are as long as a semi trailer but about seven feet wide—not exactly airplane-shaped. The Cormorant has to be strong enough to withstand the pressure 150 feet underwater—enough to cave in hatches on a normal aircraft—but light enough to fly. Another challenge: Subs survive by stealth, and an airplane flying back to the boat could give its position away.

The Skunk Works’s answer is a four-ton airplane with gull wings that hinge around its body to fit inside the missile tube. The craft is made of titanium to resist corrosion, and any empty spaces are filled with plastic foam to resist crushing. The rest of the body is pressurized with inert gas. Inflatable seals keep the weapon-bay doors, engine inlet and exhaust covers watertight.

The Cormorant does not shoot out of its tube like a missile. Instead an arm-like docking “saddle” guides the craft out, sending it floating to the surface while the sub slips away. As the drone pops out of the water, the rocket boosters fire and the Cormorant takes off. After completing its mission, the plane flies to the rendezvous coordinates it receives from the sub and lands in the sea. The sub then launches a robotic underwater vehicle to fetch the floating drone.

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa) is funding tests of some of the Cormorant’s unique systems, including a splashdown model and an underwater-recovery vehicle. The tests should be completed by September, after which Darpa will decide whether it will fund a flying prototype.

* Military Sensor Hears Through Walls
    * Military Mulls Use of 'Star Trek' Weapons
    * The Military's Walrus: An Unlikely Flying Machine
    * Futuristic Spy Plane Maneuvers Like a Bird
    * Like a Hawk, Robotic Plane Rides Thermals
    * Military Tests Miniature Spy Plane

http://www.livescience.com/technology/060301_spy_plane.html