Author Topic: For Pete Sakes! House just approved $3.44 trillion budget resolution  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Neo

• The constitution is my guide.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/29/house.budget/index.html?eref=rss_latest

The House of Representatives passed a $3.44 trillion budget resolution for fiscal year 2010 Wednesday, approving most of President Obama's key spending priorities and setting the federal government in a new direction with major increases for energy, education and health care programs.

The resolution, which was approved by a vote of 233 to 193, passed in a virtual party-line vote. All but 17 House Democrats supported it, and no House Republicans voted in favor.

The measure passed two days after congressional Democrats reached an agreement reconciling earlier House and Senate versions of the budget package. The Senate is also expected to approve final passage of the compromise measure on Wednesday, Obama's 100th day in office.

"Today, for the first time in many, many years, we have a president's budget ... that is a statement of our national values," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said during the final debate on the House floor.

"What is important to us as a nation is reflected in this budget. It's a very happy day for our country."

Republicans said the budget reflected reckless taxing and spending priorities that would leave the country in a more fiscally precarious position.

"Budgets are supposed to be about tough decisions, and there are no tough decisions in this budget," said House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio.

"It spends an awful lot of money, it raises a lot of taxes, and it puts all of this debt on the backs of our kids and grandkids. This is not the American way. The American way has been about a more limited government."

In one of the most contentious and politically polarizing decisions so far this year, Democratic budget negotiators decided to fast-track a key part of the budget process.

Major health care reform is likely to pass this year, because the special process -- known as budget reconciliation -- won't allow Republicans to filibuster the legislation, as was widely expected.

Democrats, who control 59 seats in the Senate, will be able to pass it with a simple majority vote, instead of the 60 needed to overcome a filibuster.

Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad, D-North Dakota, said he didn't believe the Senate would need to use reconciliation, but noted that it is "there as an insurance policy."

Sen. Mike Enzi, R-Wyoming, speaking for most of his GOP Senate colleagues, warned earlier in the budget debate that if a health care "reconciliation winds up in the budget bill, it'll be like a declaration of war."

Under the Democratic plan, the federal government will run an anticipated deficit of $1.2 trillion in the next fiscal year. Their plan promises to cut the deficit by more than half by 2012.

"It is clear that more will be needed to address the long-term fiscal imbalance confronting the nation beyond the five-year budget window," Conrad said.

Under the compromise plan, increases in non-defense discretionary spending are limited to 2.9 percent through 2014. Obama's signature tax cuts from the stimulus plan -- $400 for individuals and $800 for couples -- are slated to expire after 2010.

The measure also allows former President George W. Bush's tax cuts for couples who make more than $250,000 to expire in 2010.

The budget compromise largely tracks the Obama administration's initial $3.67 billion proposed spending plan, with the notable exception to drop his $250 billion request for potential future bailouts of struggling financial institutions.

Fiscally conservative House Democrats, known as Blue Dogs, also negotiated with Democratic leaders to cut $10 billion from the president's $540 billion request for non-defense discretionary spending.

In an additional nod to her caucus's conservatives, Pelosi and House Majority Whip Steny Hoyer sent a letter to Senate leaders "throwing down the gauntlet" to insist that a pay-as-you-go system be followed, which would require new federal spending to be offset with budget cuts or tax increases, a Democratic aide told CNN.

Obama called for the so-called "PAYGO" legislation in his weekend radio address.

The president also gathered his Cabinet members last week and challenged them to cut a total of $100 million in the next 90 days.

In the context of the federal budget, $100 million in savings is a tiny amount, critics say. It is the equivalent, according to one example, of having a car dealer offer to shave $1 from the cost of a $36,700 vehicle.

"Any amount of savings is obviously welcome," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said at the time. "But [$100 million is] about the average amount we'll spend every single day just covering the interest on the stimulus package that we passed earlier this year."

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said ordinary Americans would nevertheless appreciate the savings effort.

"Only in Washington, D.C., is $100 million not a lot of money. It is where I'm from. It is where I grew up. And I think it is for hundreds of millions of Americans."
"It is discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and
how few by deceit"

Offline L2Design

• GOT GLOCK
    • Graphic Design/Printing
Re: For Pete Sakes! House just approved $3.44 trillion budget resolution
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 02:10:08 pm »
OMG

They did the slide-of-the-hand move...
Make it so!

Offline Elvis

• just one
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:18:48 pm »
Surprise - 25% of 2010 gdp ...
"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." - Will Durant

Mber

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:24:19 pm »
Spend spend spend our way out of debt...

right?

right...

Offline Georgiacopguy

• 'Cause it's a revolution for your mind...K?!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:33:26 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/29/house.budget/index.html?eref=rss_latest

SNIP PARTY DOGMA

"Today, for the first time in many, many years, we have a president's budget ... that is a statement of our national values," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said during the final debate on the House floor.

"What is important to us as a nation is reflected in this budget. It's a very happy day for our country."

SNIP PARTY DOGMA
What she MEANT to say;

"Today, for the first time in many, many years, we have MY president's budget ... that is a statement of our PARTY'S values," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said during the final debate on the House floor.

"What is important to US DEMONRATS as a PARTY is reflected in this budget. It's a very happy day for our PARTY."
The resistance starts here. Unfortunately, the entire thing is moving beyond the intellectual infowar. I vow I will not make an overt rush at violent authority, until authority makes it's violent rush at me and you. I will not falter, I will not die in this course. For that is how they win.

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 02:38:52 pm »
What she MEANT to say;

"Today, for the first time in many, many years, we have MY president's budget ... that is a statement of our PARTY'S values," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said during the final debate on the House floor.

"What is important to US DEMONRATS as a PARTY is reflected in this budget. It's a very happy day for our PARTY."

"And thanks to all those wonderful eugenecists at NOVARAX for releasing the CDC/WHO Rothschild bioweapon which allowed everyone to be distracted for this tyrannical event."
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline menace

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 02:40:04 pm »
Budget Resolution Threatens Gun Rights

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/alert/?alertid=13066811

Fast-track of socialized healthcare

http://www.grassfire.net/r.asp?U=18619&CID=112&RID=17324969

Congress Trying To Implement The Medical Records Gun Ban

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/alert/?alertid=13230271&PROCESS=Take+Action

Offline Mr.C

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »
those Ps O S ...i knew this country wasnt throwing the tea parties correctly

no taxation without representation

or simply put... QUIT TAKING MY DAMN MONEY I DONT HAVE ANYMORE TO GIVE

dayumm..so just exactly when will we see the resolution declaring us as a country bankrupt...everyone knows were there just declare it already and get the show on the road...however i am for yielding and waiting for the late commers who may still be trying to prepare
The rich. You know why they're so odd. Because they can afford to be
------------
I've been too many places. I'm like the bad penny.
------------
This Country Needs An Enema !

Offline Neo

• The constitution is my guide.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 02:51:49 pm »
Now this bastard comments, Obama, on 100th Day, Says He Is ‘Remaking America’ http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aEOXy3xJPVoU&refer=home

Sadly, he's telling the truth about that.  >:( Scum!
"It is discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and
how few by deceit"

Offline Georgiacopguy

• 'Cause it's a revolution for your mind...K?!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 04:45:26 pm »
I just wish we had a better grasp on what image he is remaking it INTO... I'm just sayin'.
The resistance starts here. Unfortunately, the entire thing is moving beyond the intellectual infowar. I vow I will not make an overt rush at violent authority, until authority makes it's violent rush at me and you. I will not falter, I will not die in this course. For that is how they win.

Offline menace

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 07:58:22 pm »
the Senate passed the Obama budget with massive tax increases, a doubling of the national debt and fast-track provisions for socialized healthcare.

The vote was 53-43, which means we fell just four votes short
of stopping it.

Yesterday, we identified the 12 key Democrats who had voiced opposition to fast-tracking. Several specifically signed a letter opposing use of this procedural trickery to pass the carbon tax and "Roll Call" magazine said many of these also opposed fast-tracking for healthcare.

In all, 9 of the 12 we identified voted in favor of fast-tracking socialized healthcare...

And we're naming names:

Senator Max Baucus    202-224-2651
Senator Mark Begich    202-224-3004
Senator Robert Casey    202-224-6324
Senator Daniel Inouye    202-224-3934
Senator Amy Klobuchar    202-224-3244
Senator Mary Landrieu    202-224-5824
Senator Carl Levin    202-224-6221
Senator Blanche Lincoln    202-224-4843
Senator Mark Pryor    202-224-2353

Please call these Senators and tell them you are outraged that their votes caused socialized healthcare to get put on the fast track.

http://www.grassfire.org/112/petition.asp?Ref_ID=2433&PID=19653224

Offline TelepesT

• Genetic Dictator
    • Freedom T
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 08:46:34 am »
WHY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE STILL ASLEEP??

Lets play the game again
Ten Foot Lizard Man from Planet Snickle-Snack in the POP-TART sector 
Freedom T
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
- Mohandas Gandhi

Offline TheHouseMan

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 07:16:54 am »
Candidate Obama: "I don't like big government, I promise".

Lying lawyer-tactic (i.e. real) Obama: "We're spending $3.44 trillion right in the middle of a recession."