Author Topic: Antiacetylcholinesterase Agents: Bad for getting high, Good for dumbing you down  (Read 1410 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Brocke

  • Eleutherophiliac & Drapetomaniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9,790
  • I am not a number, I am a free man!
    • Vimeo page
ADDITIONAL INFO
Quote
Datura Poisoning from Hamburger -- Canada

On October 18, 1983, after a husband and wife ate a meal of hamburger prepared at home, the husband collapsed, and the wife telephoned for an ambulance to take him to a local hospital. When the ambulance arrived, the wife also became unconscious. Examination of the home showed no carbon monoxide source. Within 24 hours, the couple regained consciousness and explained the circumstances of their illness.

In preparing the hamburger, the wife added what she thought was seasoning but later realized was seeds of Angels' Trumpets (Datura suaveolens) that had been drying above the stove for planting the next year. After removing most of the seeds from the cooked meat, the husband and wife ate one hamburger patty each. Less than 1 hour later, both began to hallucinate. Other symptoms were tachycardia and severe diarrhea. Both recovered and were discharged after 3 days of hospitalization.
Reported in Canada Diseases Weekly Report 1984;10:45.

Editorial Note: There are several species of Datura, and all are poisonous, containing high levels (0.25%-0.7%) of anticholinergic alkaloids, such as atropine, hyoscyamine, and scopolamine. Three species are widely distributed in North America, but only one, D. suaveolens, is cultivated as an ornamental flower. Poisoning through the accidental mixing of seeds into food has been previously but not recently reported (1). "Locoweed" teas made from other Datura species have been used intentionally to produce hallucinatory effects (2).

Typical findings in Datura poisoning include pupillary dilation, flushing, fever, amnesia, urinary retention, decreased salivation, and, in contrast to the cases reported here, decreased intestinal motility. In more severe poisoning, active hallucinations, extreme agitation, cardiac arrhythmias, convulsions, delirium, stupor, or coma may occur. Physostigmine, a reversible antiacetylcholinesterase agent, may be useful in treating patients with central and peripheral manifestations of anticholinergic crisis.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000342.htm

FYI - Fluoride is also an antiacetylcholinesterase agent as are most nerve gas type chemical weapons.



Worrying trend as teens ingest deadly plant datura, or angel's trumpet

The Daily Telegraph
April 24, 2009 03:34am

DOCTORS are warning of a growing fad involving teenagers ingesting a common garden plant with potentially fatal consequences.
A teenager was yesterday fighting for his life after he and a friend ate the flower datura, or angel's trumpet.

It is the second reported incident in less than a month in Sydney after five Kuring-Gai High School students fell ill from eating the plant just three weeks ago, The Daily Telegraph reports.

In the latest incident, police discovered the boys, both 17, from Crows Nest and Marrickville, behaving erratically on a busy Chatswood street about 11.30pm on Wednesday.

Concerned witnesses contacted police after watching in horror as one of the boys tried to walk into a window while the other fell over, apparently unable to stand.

When police arrived, the boys were found lying on the footpath. They were taken to Royal North Shore Hospital, where it was confirmed that they had consumed angel's trumpet.

With its bell-like yellow, white or orange flowers, the highly toxic plant, also known as brugmansia, is a popular garden plant, readily available in nurseries and commonly found growing along roadsides.

The legal plant's highly toxic leaves, flowers and stems are well documented for their hallucinogenic properties, but are also known to cause extreme behavioural disturbances, seizures, fluid retention, constipation and blindness.

Even among drug advocates it is regarded as extremely dangerous.

"Never again," wrote one user on a drug forum yesterday.

Senior Emergency Department Specialist at RNS hospital Dr John Morgan said he has seen about six cases of poisoning from the plant in the past 12 months.

"There are always side effects," Dr Morgan said yesterday. "It affects every part of the body. We find most people who try it only try it the once.

"There are just so many things that come together to make this plant very toxic."

Dr Morgan said copycat incidents tended to spread by word of mouth.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few more cases over the next few weeks," he warned. "Someone will discover it, tell everyone, and then we get a rash of it.

"The important message is not to ingest any plant material."

One of the boys was released from Royal North Shore early yesterday, while the other remained in a critical condition last night.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25378805-421,00.html


That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons of history.
~Aldous Huxley

He who has a why to live can bear almost any how. - ~Friedrich Nietzsche