15th International Economic Forum Of The Americas To Meet June 8-11 Under Banner "Adapting To The New World Order"
15th edition of the International Economic Forum of the Americas, June 8 to 11, 2009 - In Montreal, leaders of General Electric, World Bank Group and IMF will discuss the best methods for overcoming the crisis
SPRINGFIELD, MO / March 22, 2009 / RaidersNewsNetwork.com / - Jeffrey R. Immelt, CEO of General Electric (GE), Robert B. Zoellick, President of the World Bank Group, and Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), will meet with policymakers and other stakeholders in the international financial sector in Montreal to find the best methods for "Adapting to the New World Order"
at the 15th edition of the International Economic Forum of the
Americas / Conference of Montreal, taking place this June 8 to 11 at Montreal's Bonaventure Hilton Hotel.
This will be the first visit to Canada for the President of the World Bank. Other respected speakers have already confirmed their participation in the largest annual private economic forum to take place in the Americas, including:
- Mark Carney, Governor, Bank of Canada
- Catherine Ashton, Trade Commissioner, European Union
- Shafik Mohammed Gabr, Chairman and Managing Director, ARTOC Group
- Guillermo Ortiz-Martinez, Governor, Central Bank of Mexico
- Jan Hatzius, Chief U.S. Economist, Goldman Sachs
- Jonathan Spector, CEO, The Conference Board (United States)
- Riad Toufic Salamé, Governor, Central Bank of Lebanon
- Shaukat Aziz, Former Prime Minister of Pakistan
- Kamalesh Sharma, Secretary General, Commonwealth Secretariat
In addition, a large delegation representing the Chinese province of Shandong, one of China's most industrialized regions, with a population of 90 million, has confirmed its presence.
Gil Rémillard, Founding Chairman of the International Economic Forum of the Americas / Conference of Montreal, welcomes the positive response of so many influential players in the global economy. "We are currently going through an economic crisis that will no doubt lead to profound changes in international relations. In every area, be it finance and the economy, governance, sustainable development or trade, it is vital to have a good understanding of the new global dynamics, which are being implemented," Mr. Rémillard said.
The 15th edition of the International Economic Forum of the Americas / Conference of Montreal brings together more than 3,000 participants from all areas of both the private and public sectors, as well as numerous international delegations who will hear some 150 speakers.
The International Economic Forum of the Americas/Conference of Montreal
The International Economic Forum of the Americas/Conference of Montreal, a not-for-profit organization, is an initiative of the Institut international d'études administratives de Montreal. The Conference's Board of Governors is chaired by Paul Desmarais Jr., Chairman and Co-Chief Executive Officer of Power Corporation of Canada, and includes the following members:
- The Honourable Perrin Beatty, President and CEO, Canadian Chamber of
- Thomas d'Aquino, President and CEO, Canadian Council of Chief
- Jacques Delors, President, Conseil de l'emploi, des revenus et de la
cohésion sociale; Former President of the European Commission
- Hélène Desmarais, President and CEO, Centre d'entreprises et
d'innovation de Montreal
- S.E.M. Abdou Diouf, Secretary General, Francophonie (OIF)
- Leonard J. Edwards, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Foreign Affairs
and International Trade Canada
- Angel Gurria, Secretary General, Organisation for Economic Co-operation
and Development (OECD)
- José Miguel Insulza, Secretary General, Organization of American States
- Donald Kaberuka, President, African Development Bank
- Haruhiko Kuroda, President, Asian Development Bank (AsDB)
- Jacques Lamarre, President and CEO, SNC-Lavalin Group Inc.
- Pascal Lamy, Director General, World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Koichiro Matsuura, Director General, United Nations Educational,
Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Gérard Mestrallet, President and CEO, GDF-SUEZ
- Thomas Mirow, President, European Bank for Reconstruction and
- Luis Alberto Moreno, President, Inter-American Development Bank (IADB)
- Heather Munroe-Blum, Principal and Vice-Chancellor, McGill University
- Guillermo Ortiz Martinez, Governor, Central Bank of Mexico
- Dominique Strauss-Kahn, Managing Director, International Monetary Fund
- Jean-Claude Trichet, President, European Central Bank
- Thierry Vandal, President and Chief Executive, Hydro-Québec
The 15th edition of the International Economic Forum of the Americas/Conference of Montreal receives support from several partners, including Power Corporation of Canada. A number of sponsors have contributed to the Forum's success, including the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF), Génome Québec, RBC Capital Markets, RioTintoAlcan, Société générale de financement (SGF), Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Hydro-Québec, Investissement Québec, Export Development Canada (EDC), Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), VIA Rail Canada, Fraser Milner Casgrain (FMC) L.L.P., Bombardier, SNC-Lavalin, Centre de recherches pour le développement international (CRDI), la Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CSST), HEC Montreal, The National Post, La Presse, Canadian Business Magazine, Forces Magazine and CNW Telbec.
The Forum also receives special assistance from the Government of Canada, the Government of Ontario and the Government of Québec.
Finally, a number of international partners have also helped to make the event a reality. These include the Asian Development Bank (AsDB), the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), the African Development Bank Group (ADB), the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the Canadian Commission for UNESCO, the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie and the Commonwealth Secretariat.
The International Economic Forum of the Americas/ Conference of Montreal is committed to heightening knowledge and awareness of the major issues of economic globalization, with a particular emphasis on the relations between the Americas and other continents. The Forum also strives to foster exchanges of information, to promote free discussion on major current economic issues and facilitate meetings between world leaders to encourage international discourse by bringing together Heads of State, the private sector, international organizations and civil society.
Foreign and Canadian journalists are invited to cover the entire proceedings of the 15th International Economic Forum of the Americas/Conference of Montreal. To attend the event, journalists, photographers and media technical staff must obtain accreditation by contacting André Bouthillier at 514-732-4114 or 514-895-0127. The full, detailed program of the International Economic Forum of the Americas/Conference of Montreal is updated on a regular basis and can be consulted at any time on the official website at www.conferenceofmontreal.com
For further information: André Bouthillier, Media Relations Director, (514) 732-4114, (514) 895-0127 (cell), email@example.com