My Solar Backup

Author Topic: My Solar Backup  (Read 13893 times)

Offline Gen Cartman Lee

My Solar Backup
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:15:17 am »
Hello Folks,

Just looking for some reviews on the Super-X 1800 from Solutions from Science.

http://www.mysolarbackup.com/index.html

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards, Jordan

Offline tritonman

Re: My Solar Backup
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:21:25 am »
That little 75 watt panel will take days to recharge to 1800 watts  You are going to need alot more panels for anykind of backup that is useful...I also checked that unit out as I am getting ready to do a solar wind project, I could never find out what battery sie it was either it sounded lame to me...

Offline L2Design

• GOT GLOCK
    • Graphic Design/Printing
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:51:21 am »
GEEZ!

Isnt there a way to do it Gilligan style? Like with a bike? Self powered?
If yes, please post :D

Offline user111

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:59:14 am »
I went thru this solar crap when I started looking and was told by my dealer,that anything under 100 watts in a panel is childs play,and sure enough,when looking thru RV forums,I found most everyone was using at least 100 watt panels.
But 1 is no where near enough.I have 6 of them mounted on my roof at 100 watts each and wired thru a controller and 4 deep cycle batteries that cost 275 bucks each and run all of this back thru a 3500 watt power inverter.
This set up keeps me going quite nicely here in the Alaska bush WHEN THERE IS SUN,and powers my cell phone charger,a few lights,microwave and computer as well as my TV and Sat dish.I also have a clothes washer but it will not power the electric dryer.
To boost it a little,and for winter months,I made a wind generator using a 130 amp auto alternator wired into my storage batteries.
When all this fails as happenes here in the land of little sun during the winter,or when I need my clothes dryer,I fire up my trusty gas generator for more power or to get a battery charge.
Cost of the entire system 3 years ago less the generator was 2500.00 so it anin't cheap and one could easliy go 5K to 10K on a setup.Mine is for what I need and use but as was told to me by my dealer,I got the serious home office setup at the time.
I have never had any problems with it and I did notice they now make bigger and better batteries at 300 and up which I will go to when mine die off.
Hope that helps ya.

Offline user111

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:00:31 am »
You can go Gilligan and ride that bike 24/7 365 if ya want to.That's about what you'd be doing to keep up with any kind of power that you are used to,if that.

Offline JonTheSavage

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:07:00 am »
I have a 3400 watt on a 6 horse briggs & stratton running on any fuel I dump in. Bio-Diesel works in it. Spend $300 and get something that works.

Offline L2Design

• GOT GLOCK
    • Graphic Design/Printing
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:19:30 pm »
I went thru this solar crap when I started looking and was told by my dealer,that anything under 100 watts in a panel is childs play,and sure enough,when looking thru RV forums,I found most everyone was using at least 100 watt panels.
But 1 is no where near enough.I have 6 of them mounted on my roof at 100 watts each and wired thru a controller and 4 deep cycle batteries that cost 275 bucks each and run all of this back thru a 3500 watt power inverter.
This set up keeps me going quite nicely here in the Alaska bush WHEN THERE IS SUN,and powers my cell phone charger,a few lights,microwave and computer as well as my TV and Sat dish.I also have a clothes washer but it will not power the electric dryer.
To boost it a little,and for winter months,I made a wind generator using a 130 amp auto alternator wired into my storage batteries.
When all this fails as happenes here in the land of little sun during the winter,or when I need my clothes dryer,I fire up my trusty gas generator for more power or to get a battery charge.
Cost of the entire system 3 years ago less the generator was 2500.00 so it anin't cheap and one could easliy go 5K to 10K on a setup.Mine is for what I need and use but as was told to me by my dealer,I got the serious home office setup at the time.
I have never had any problems with it and I did notice they now make bigger and better batteries at 300 and up which I will go to when mine die off.
Hope that helps ya.

Wow thank you! I want to be off any as many utilities as possible. You should write a book! Where to go, what to do, where to get it...etc...

Offline Sami

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 08:08:47 pm »
I was wondering, has anyone actually bought this product and tried it out?  And if so, how did it work?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 05:08:45 am »
I agree from what I've read, that it's best to go for as high a wattage panel as possible, and the highest quality, seeing this is THE key element to your solar system. If you can't collect it, you can't use it!

Also, remember you don't have to use that extra power you might happen to collect, so the more panels the better. But the big cost is batteries, seeing they will last, generally, about 3-5 years, and decent ones can cost several hundred dollars each.

Car alternators? These can be had for cheap, and many can be rebuilt to like-new condition for even less, but go for the most amps(commercial vehicle types) you can get because it doesn't matter how the alternator turns, just so long as it turns as fast as possible, and long as possible.(Got a bunch of hamsters just sitting arond?)
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)