Camera in Coverter boxes story is hoax

Author Topic: Camera in Coverter boxes story is hoax  (Read 27739 times)

Offline Unintelligable Name

Camera in Coverter boxes story is hoax
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:57:05 am »
So who do I bitch at in order to get that fake Magnavox camera and microphone in TV box story taken off the front page of Infowars.com

I said twice in the thread leading up to it being posted on there that we opened one up and there wasn't that "camera looking" round thing glued inside the box.

Apart from my story that this is fake here is another person showing us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUi3sA1gdfI

and another but a different model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh9IeNPhwKU

amd another but a different model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IilkFh00_-k

Take that story down before it hurts our credability as a whole.

Offline 911aware

Re: Camera in Coverter boxes story is hoax
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:06:51 pm »
yea, im thinking it was a hoax.  however, there has been talk at time warner about doing this..in public relations articles.

so this is a case of fable imitating fact.
It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing Milkbone underwear.  -norm

Offline whywhy

• Wake up People!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:11:47 pm »
i open mine up, there was nothing.... :-\

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:13:05 pm »
The amount of conspiracy theories of Digital tv on youtube is approaching Niribu status.

:-\

Here's the actual digital TV apocalypse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PeGRRilbZw

lol.

Offline Sheepleprod

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:19:13 pm »
I second that motion.  This impacts the credibility of all the other stories.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:19:58 pm »
This whole ordeal is compoundly retarded because the position of the fake camera in the hoax video points toward black plastic.... Unless it's the new Alien "See through solid matter Camera" it wouldn't serve much point even if this video were legitimate.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:25:13 pm »

See any holes for a camera to even see through? I don't.

Secondary to the point of that "camera" being fake but still -- it makes me laugh.

Offline RHPSmagenta

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 12:25:24 pm »
Please alex

pull this story till it can be verified by your team. When your team verify it (buy a few converters and open them) and they see the same thing.. then go ahead and repost....

but this is going to hurt us.

Offline whywhy

• Wake up People!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 12:27:27 pm »

See any holes for a camera to even see through? I don't.

Secondary to the point of that "camera" being fake but still -- it makes me laugh.

Good point, there no hole where the camera can record, its block by the plastic.

nofakenews

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:28:33 pm »
This whole cam story is BS as I covered yesterday about the front panel being solid the fact foam or something is glued to the transistor for the mic.

Some more detail from the person who posted the video.

On his profile he has his website listed
http://www.mechanismstudios.com

Quick google searh on the phone numbers
http://www.geekmetal.com

Photo of the person
http://www.trillian.im/users/geekmetal

Propaganda at its best to destroy the truth movement and they are working hard to fuzz us out..

sociostudent

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:28:39 pm »
i open mine up, there was nothing.... :-\

same here. :-\

Librium

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 12:29:33 pm »
What happened to Quadruple checking facts?

Please remove this joke of a story.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 12:30:06 pm »
Propaganda at its best to destroy the truth movement and they are working hard to fuzz us out..

That is true but I was very surprised to see it end up on Infowars.com

sociostudent

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 12:31:39 pm »
Please alex

pull this story till it can be verified by your team. When your team verify it (buy a few converters and open them) and they see the same thing.. then go ahead and repost....

but this is going to hurt us.

I hate to say it, but I agree on this one.

Offline 911aware

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 12:32:48 pm »
even tho a piece of dis-info gets out like this, we quickly disprove it...furthermore, we are still right 95% of the time.

TheGoodFight1984

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 12:33:06 pm »
There is one digibox company that IS building mics into their products - there's a vid somewhere of an R&D guy who works for the company doing a quick piece on it - can't remember either the name of the guy or the company.. maybe someone else will remember that. The guy was stood outside the company building.

Don't think this is the company though.

nofakenews

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 12:33:20 pm »
That is true but I was very surprised to see it end up on Infowars.com

So was I and will say I was suprised +1 from me as well.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 12:35:18 pm »
I had a feeling I should have researched this more before posting this in a bulletin and my blog on myspace and on facebook. Now I look like a moron.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 12:37:33 pm »
Various quotes from the article:

"The magnetic field generated by that transformer would scramble the camera very quickly. I agree with you Cam….this has hoax written all over it."

"COMCAST CONVERTER BOXES DO NOT HAVE A CAMERA I OPENED IT MYSELF. it does however have the infrared reader…. which looks like a security camera globe"

"This looks like a hoax to me."

"I agree, it looks like a hoax."

"No need, it’s not a camera or a mic. The mic is a transformer and there’d be no point in having a camera so close to the transformer because the magnetic field from the transformer would screw it up. I wouldn’t be surprised if some company did start spying on us, but this is just a hoax."

"Someone could easily do something like this to trick Infowars or Alex Jones into talking about it and then reveal the hoax to make them look bad."

"pfft.. You can buy them with a surveillance camera built-in for home security. There’s no conspiracy. infowars is losing cred again." ---- What's this guy talking about?  ??? Converter box for home security? huh?

"Me again, i’ve done a little more search and are finding it difficult to find a HDTV tuner with a camera avertised… I just wanted to do a bit of a search before I took this article for face value and i’m sure I saw one when I did a search early today? Ps: Not everyone critical of an infowars article is a dis-info operative.. maybe just a poor research hacks"

It goes on and on.

nofakenews

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 12:38:55 pm »
I had a feeling I should have researched this more before posting this in a bulletin and my blog on myspace and on facebook. Now I look like a moron.

Not to worry as I tried to wage war on digg with this bs yesterday trying to get the word out.
http://digg.com/gadgets/Surprise_Your_on_Candid_Camera_for_real

You are not a moron.

Offline 911aware

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 12:40:13 pm »
yea, im thinking it was a hoax.  however, there has been talk at time warner about doing this..in public relations articles.

so this is a case of fable imitating fact.

time warner has said they wont actually film you, but there will be heat sensors to see how many people are in a room watching...like neilson family on steroids.

AJ has talked about this before.

i wish i could find that damn article.

Offline Flur

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 12:46:40 pm »
you know.. it should speak to our credit that you guys researched and DE-BUNKED it on a "conspiracy theory" forum.  if we were all crazy, tin-foil hat wearing lunatics.. we'd be jumping all over this without actually trying to seek out any truth.  that's what i love about this forum.. it's dedicated to TRUTH, even if the outcome sometimes goes AGAINST what we think to be happening.

good job those of you who really looked into this.
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  - 1 John 2:15

Offline NMTO

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 12:48:05 pm »
This is bad publicity for infowars.com.  Also the whole story about Mississippi banning confiscation of guns with a bill during martial law is only HALF the story.  They still left loopholes as well as allowing them to TURN OFF all your utilities and CONFISCATE your property.  Both were written by a Watson, he needs to double check his facts.  I've never not been able to verify stories that is posted up on Infowars until the last week, what is going on?

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 12:51:13 pm »
what is going on?

Joey V still a noob? I'll toss that out there. Not pointing fingers -- notice the question mark!

Offline Matthew

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »
Is it possible that the plastic blocking the "camera" is actually translucent? Therefore, it could potentially watch you? Is it 100% confirmed that this model doesn't look like this on the inside? The first video at the top was made before the video in the prisonplanet article. Just trying to confirm everything.

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 12:55:30 pm »
Is it possible that the plastic blocking the "camera" is actually translucent?
No, it's solid.
Is it 100% confirmed that this model doesn't look like this on the inside?

Technically, No, but the one our programmer opened at his house was the exact make and model. He didn't compare schematics to the one in the video.... so no... we don't know 100%. He will tell you 99.5%  :P

Offline Matthew

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 12:57:30 pm »
No, it's solid.
Technically, No, but the one our programmer opened at his house was the exact make and model. He didn't compare schematics to the one in the video.... so no... we don't know 100%. He will tell you 99.5%  :P

It'd be great for someone that already has the model to make a video.

Offline the general

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 12:59:05 pm »
How would they use a camera INSIDE THE CONVERTER BOX to monitor you anyway?  It is not hooked up to cable where it could send images back to somewhere.  The converter box recieves a radio signal from the air and converts it to an analog signal the older tvs can display.  

I can see how this could happen with cable boxes or computer cameras hooked up to the internet, but not digital tv converter boxes.

Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness --
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven

Offline antoin

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 01:00:43 pm »
I know everyone is upset about this here, but it does seem that this is a reality maybe in some other boxes, I have the US patent PDFs enclosed which shows that a digital set top box has been designed 11 years ago equipped with a tracking camera.  I'm trying to upload one and its only 84Kb and the site says that the upload folder is full, where should I put it?

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 01:01:15 pm »
It'd be great for someone that already has the model to make a video.

Our programmer is going to, will post it when I get it.

Offline CaptBebops

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 01:05:49 pm »
I also mentioned on the other topic that from the video the little "camera" appeared to be attached to the power transformer.  That would do wonders for its performance. :D  Fortunately some of us do work with electronic components so this hoax was easy to spot.

And today about 1/3 of the US stations went ahead and changed to digital.  So far according to the tech and TV engineering blogs I've read there have been few problems and little in the way of support calls.  Like I suspected the transition will be a "tempest in a teapot."  And I bet the stations that were going to wait until June will ask the FCC if they can have waivers to make the transition earlier.

Lucian Solaris

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 01:07:19 pm »
you guys don't realize that a camera that uses non-visible light doesn't need to be behind a 'clear' panel (i use quotes as what is clear or opaque depends on the material and wavelength), all that is needed is to have the camera detect a wavelength of light (one out of our visible spectrum) that passes through the plastic as white light passes through glass.  Solid materials absorb certain wavelengths of light while letting others pass through.  This is why your house's walls don't let in visible light but radio 'light' (e.m. radiation and 'light' are the same thing) passes through freely!

How would they use a camera INSIDE THE CONVERTER BOX to monitor you anyway?  It is not hooked up to cable where it could send images back to somewhere.  The converter box recieves a radio signal from the air and converts it to an analog signal the older tvs can display.  

nofakenews

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 01:09:12 pm »
Our programmer is going to, will post it when I get it.

http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=87074

This is topic where we did some exposing yesterday and while some of it is true the video is bs as one member even posted a photo of the same box.

Now to respond Lucian Solaris this is not true as I have worked with plenty of cameras and can tell you none that small are even capable of what your talking about.

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 01:10:51 pm »
Now to respond Lucian Solaris this is not true as I have worked with plenty of cameras and can tell you none that small are even capable of what your talking about.

Yeah I was just going to ignore his post. This horse is dead no sense in trying to beat any more theories out of it.

Offline antoin

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 01:11:17 pm »
Again, anywhere I can upload these Patent files for you all to gawk at?  I'm not gonna be here all day and I don't think I'll remember later.

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 01:11:49 pm »
Google it man, don't be helpless.

http://www.esnips.com/
http://www.megaupload.com/
http://www.megafileupload.com/

Took me roughly 4 seconds to find those.

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 01:12:34 pm »

This is topic where we did some exposing yesterday

I was on that thread too but was basically ignored. Same with you I see -- I never saw your posts for one. Funny we both took snapshots of the front panel -- we think alike then eh?

Lucian Solaris

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 01:14:44 pm »
Just because it doesn't exist in the consumer market doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This is topic where we did some exposing yesterday and while some of it is true the video is bs as one member even posted a photo of the same box.

lovealexjones

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 01:15:08 pm »
someone phone in to disagree and you might get on, also plug the forum.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 01:15:56 pm »

Yeah, I can see. This is the same model. The camera and mic were glued on for the hoax video: