How are Stop Light Cameras Illegal?

Author Topic: How are Stop Light Cameras Illegal?  (Read 1089 times)

shirteesdotnet

How are Stop Light Cameras Illegal?
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »
Ive heard this several times now. Alex spoke briefly about it earlier this morning on his show. He pointed out...

-no due process
-no judge or jury
-no police officer present

My small city I live in was just given $7 million in grants to install these police cameras. Id like to have as much info as possible to go before city council to complain about these, or at the very least send emails to city officials reminding them of the constitution.

What other reasons can I have/use in my speech? Whats the significance of not having a live person present to give the citation? Are there any websites out there with more info (besides "spray my plate")? Alex said these citations have been fought successfully in TX and CA. How does he know? Where can I get the same info on the court cases? All this stuff I can use and will use!!! Thanks for any tips!

Offline heavyhebrew

• Laughter is the best medicine.
Re: How are Stop Light Cameras Illegal?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:22:58 pm »
They predicated legality on the fact that the camera is only operational when triggered by motion when the light is red. No motion while light is red, no picture taken.
About the surveillance ability, its limited.

Plus they make a great target for night shooting.
We work jobs we hate to pay for stuff we don't need to impress people we don't like. Am I the crazy one here?

Offline xTruthSeekerx

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:33:21 pm »
They predicated legality on the fact that the camera is only operational when triggered by motion when the light is red. No motion while light is red, no picture taken.
About the surveillance ability, its limited.

Plus they make a great target for night shooting.

lol word my friebnd, i know a guy in kentucky who shot one with a 308 lol

Offline gEEk squad

• You're World Delivered... to the NSA
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:53:19 pm »
My suggestion is simple. Find out what car the Mayor drives. Rent the exact model or something near it. Print a very realistic replica of his lisence plate that is on glossy paper. Put the plate on the rented car and drive through all of the red lights you want.

The law would get changed or be found illegal soon after.

shirteesdotnet

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:58:42 pm »
My suggestion is simple. Find out what car the Mayor drives. Rent the exact model or something near it. Print a very realistic replica of his lisence plate that is on glossy paper. Put the plate on the rented car and drive through all of the red lights you want.

The law would get changed or be found illegal soon after.

Sounds good to me :)

Offline cladano

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 05:16:44 pm »
They are there to make money off of you not to make things safer.

Tickets need to be tied to the driver of the car not what the license plate number is. They have to be able to prove that you were actually the one driving the car.

The tickets/fines are higher to pay for the cost of the equipment which is illegal.

Offline ES

• Old Iron Sides: Enemy of Tyrannical Scum
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:12:03 pm »
They are there to make money off of you not to make things safer.

Tickets need to be tied to the driver of the car not what the license plate number is. They have to be able to prove that you were actually the one driving the car.

The tickets/fines are higher to pay for the cost of the equipment which is illegal.

Good point. Also many of these tickets have been thrown out after it was shown the the yellow lights were shortened.
"My heroes are people who monkey wrench the new world order". - Jello Biafra

AlphaM

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:31:10 pm »
1.  Camera vendors and cities often put cost-neutrality clauses in their contracts.  It's illegal in California yet cities still do it.  Check with your state.

2.  Some cities will shorten yellow lights at camera-equipped intersections.  In some cases those actions are illegal as the yellow light times must conform to the engineering surveys performed.

3.  On some tickets there will be instructions to not contact the court.  It's a way for cities to harass vehicle owners into giving up the identities of the real drivers.

4.  Again, your state may be different, but California requires a 30 day warning period when a camera is online.  Some cities ignore this and issue only 30 days warnings for the first camera installed, not for every camera.

5.  Some camera tickets are sent without proof of service - this leads to denial of due process.

6.  Some contracts have explicit quotas.

7.  A lot of cities are now enforcing left and right turns instead of straight-through movements.  It's purely profit driven.

Here you will find more information about why photo enforcement is bad:
http://www.motorists.org/photoenforce/

And here is one California specific web site:
http://www.highwayrobbery.net/

Offline cladano

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:37:39 pm »
This would be a good plug for:
http://www.sprayyourplate.com/

AlphaM

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:50:17 pm »
I watched a few of those videos showing Photo Blocker in action.

I don't think it's fully effective in that a lot of camera-equipped intersections now use digital video.

Moreover, the claims (especially by the MSM) of 'big brother' and 'privacy' as reasons to oppose RLCs is disinformation.

Municipalities and the vendors rig these cameras, intersections, and speed zones in the ways already previously mentioned and linked to.