PrisonPlanet Forum
July 30, 2014, 09:10:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listen to what Henry Barry said in 1832  (Read 4202 times)
shakazooluu

« on: December 12, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »

Henry Barry a member of the Virginia House of Delegates, who said on January 20, 1832, 175 years ago

"Pass as severe laws as you will to keep these unfortunate creatures in ignorance. It is in vain unless you can extinguish that spark of intellect which God has given them. Sir, we have as far as possible closed every avenue by which light may enter their minds. We only have to go one step further to extinguish their capacity to see the light and our work will be completed. And they would then be reduced to the level of the beasts of the field and we should be safe. Sir, a death struggle must come between the two classes or races in which one or the other will be extinguished forever.”

What do you think about this?
Freeski

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »

Well that's pretty blatant. Got a source?

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.
Initiated

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 04:06:27 PM »

A context would be nice for sure as well as a source.
If someone cut out a few sentences of a statement I have given, I am sure it could be made to seem evil as well.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives."  ~ James Madison
shakazooluu

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:11:29 PM »

Too be honest with you i heard it in a speech from Louis Farrakhan, but since his information may be perverted i dont know how to pinpoint its true source. The only thing i was able to find on this dude was his family history from google. But i think its more in reference to the indentured slaves of that time.
Initiated

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »

Cheers! I'll see if I can find it somewhere in a bit.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives."  ~ James Madison
voodo0

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »

A New Beginning -Part II
By the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan
 What's your opinion on this article?

Refer This Page
 Printer friendly page
[Editor’s note: The following article is the continuation of excerpts from the address delivered October 19, 2008 by the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan on the occasion of the Rededication of Mosque Maryam and the Commemoration of the 13th Anniversary of the Million Man March and Holy Day of Atonement.  Click here for webcast and/or CD/DVD of this complete message.]
In The Name of Allah, The Beneficent, The Merciful.

The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan
Photo: Kenneth Muhammad
Brothers and Sisters, when Elijah Muhammad came among us, he taught what you could call a “Black Theology.” A lot of people were offended by that; turned off by that. In the Muslim world, they were angry. They said, “Islam does not teach color. What’s wrong with you people?” But they don’t know what happened to the Black people of America.

While standing before the Virginia House of Delegates on January 20, 1832, Mr. Henry Berry, Esq., made it clear what was needed to produce and maintain the condition of slavery. He said: “Pass as severe laws as you will to keep these unfortunate creatures in ignorance, it is in vain, unless you can extinguish that spark of intellect which God has given them. Sir, we have, as far as possible, closed every avenue by which light might enter their minds. We have only to go one step further—to extinguish the capacity to see the light—and our work will be completed. They would then be reduced to the level of the beasts of the field, and we should be safe… .”

And he said, “If they continue along that line,” Black people would be in a condition that we could never come out of.

Black people want to do something for self, but there’s something missing. If something is missing, then my question to you is: “Don’t we [Black people] need somebody to address us and our concerns? To raise us, reform us, transform us and make us again what God created us to be?

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/article_5381.shtml

voodo0

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 04:21:41 PM »

http://www.archive.org/details/speechofhenryber00berr

Initiated

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »

Thanks voodoo... That was one of the sites I was planning on going to.

voodo0

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:26:47 PM »

Thanks voodoo... That was one of the sites I was planning on going to.
Wink

shakazooluu

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »

Let me become a Jedi! (Thank You)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: