Local Beer Prices [Sacramento - Stockton] Rise As Hops Prices Skyrocket

Author Topic: Local Beer Prices [Sacramento - Stockton] Rise As Hops Prices Skyrocket  (Read 1303 times)

blackwater

http://cbs13.com/local/Local.Beer.Prices.2.836904.html

Maybe this will wake people up!!!!!!

Local Beer Prices Rise As Hops Prices Skyrocket

STOCKTON (CBS13) ― Beer prices are going up because the cost of a key ingredient has skyrocketed in the last year. This is now leaving micro-breweries tapped out.

Valley Brew Pub in Stockton has been around for almost a dozen years. The pub is a micro-brewery that has customers falling in love with what's on tap.

"I don't come to look at the girls, I come for the beer," says one customer.

But these days, the beer that many come for is not cheap to make due to a shortage of hops around the country.

Within the last year, the cost of hopes has soared from $3 to $5 a pound to $20 to $40 a pound.

"Which is huge, a huge increase," says Kellie Jacobs.

Kellie Jacobs is the owner of the Valley Brew Pub, and she says they've raised prices to try and compensate for the skyrocketing prices.

And with corporate brewing company's buying out the hops, smaller brewers like Valley Brew in Stockton are looking for alternative options.

The micro-brewery is looking into ordering the ingredient a year in advance and possibly buying it internationally.

"You can get them in Poland and China, so we're looking to lessen the cash and making it affordable to brew the micro-brew," explains Kellie.

While this may put some small brewpubs on the fridge of shutting down, Valley Brew Pub thinks they'll be in the clear.

"They'll drink even if times are good and if times are bad, making them come a bit less but they always want to come for a good beer," Kellie says.

"Yeah, we like the beer," one customer says.

Rock

Re: Local Beer Prices [Sacramento - Stockton] Rise As Hops Prices Skyrocket
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 10:36:36 PM »
Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No Guinness?

The world is coming to an end  >:(

Offline IridiumKEPfactor

Offline dogmadestroyer

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 10:40:29 PM »
Yeah, up in the Northeast craft brews have skyrocketed from $4.xx a six pack to about $7.49 in the last year due to the hop shortage. All the fields in Belgium and the Czech Republic flooded this year so Washington State has to supply more. I still buy it every now and then and I'm still interested in the art of brewing but it hurts.

Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No Guinness?

The world is coming to an end  >:(

Rock, if you like Guinness, try O'Hara's. That is what an Irish Cream Stout should be.
“The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the political behavior of Western Civilization.”

-Robert Anton Wilson

FearMonger 888: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWRu80jgKzk

Rock

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »
O'Hara's

I will have to try that if my Fiat still is worth something tomorrow.

Rock

strgzr

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 06:59:01 AM »
This is an outrage. I hope they can localize this to California, and not let it get out of hand. Banks going broke is one thing, but don't mess around with beer.

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 07:38:07 AM »
shit you can make beer for pennies.  tastes about as good as most american brews.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately