GEORGIA: FIGHTING RAGES IN S. OSSETIA, RUSSIAN TANKS HEAD FOR BATTLE

Author Topic: GEORGIA: FIGHTING RAGES IN S. OSSETIA, RUSSIAN TANKS HEAD FOR BATTLE  (Read 294314 times)

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
  • The banksters are steaming piles of dog shit!
    • GlobalGulag.com
Re: GEORGIA: FIGHTING RAGES IN S. OSSETIA, RUSSIAN TANKS HEAD FOR BATTLE
« Reply #240 on: August 08, 2008, 04:58:21 pm »
Georgia's Saakashvili commits war crimes against humanity
http://english.pravda.ru/news/hotspots/08-08-2008/106045-georgia-0
08/08/2008 16:09 Source: AP ©          

A surprise military offensive by Georgia, a staunch U.S. ally, to retake the breakaway province of South Ossetia reportedly killed hundreds of people Friday, triggering a ferocious counterattack from Russia that threatened to plunge the region into full-scale war.

Moscow, which has close ties to South Ossetia, sent a column of tanks rolling into South Ossetia and reportedly attacked two Georgian air bases as it moved to assert itself as the dominant regional power.

As night fell, there were wildly conflicting claims as to who held the battlefield advantage.

Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili said "Georgian military forces completely control all the territory of South Ossetia" except for a northern section adjacent to Russia. But Russian news agencies cited a Russian military official as saying heavy fighting was under way on the outskirts of the regional capital.

Witnesses said the South Ossetian capital, Tskhinvali, was devastated.

"We lost our city ... The Georgians are like Nazis, they are killing civilians, women and children with heavy artillery and rockets," said 28-year-old Sarmat Laliyev, a Tskhinvali resident who had fled to Dzhava, a village near the border with Russia.

The fighting broke out as much of the world's attention was focused on the start of the Olympic Games and many leaders, including Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and President Bush, were in Beijing.

The timing suggests Saakashvili may have been counting on surprise to fulfill his longtime pledge to wrest back control of South Ossetia _ a key to his hold on power.

Saakashvili agreed the timing was not coincidental, but accused Russia of being the aggressor. "Most decision makers have gone for the holidays," he said in an interview with CNN. "Brilliant moment to attack a small country."

Diplomats issued a flurry of statements calling on both sides to halt the fighting, but with no immediate effect. It was unclear what might persuade either side to stop shooting. Both claim the battle started after the other side violated a cease-fire that had been declared just hours earlier after a week of sporadic clashes.

The United States was sending its top Caucasus envoy, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Matthew Bryza, to the region to try to end the bloodshed.

Russia, which has granted citizenship to most of the region's residents, appeared to lay much of the responsibility for ending the fighting on Washington.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it's an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” – Patrick Henry

>>> Global Gulag Media & Forum <<<

Tyrson

« Reply #241 on: August 08, 2008, 04:58:33 pm »
You seen the way they play the game "those who would be our gods"
Phahh
1000 American "training' their military, they'll promises anybody anything, just let us....

Peace
 Tyrson

Offline baldguy

« Reply #242 on: August 08, 2008, 05:00:18 pm »
What do you guys think? Did Georgia's president just thought this up by himself? What does the evidence really show? I know, they've done it before with Kosovo, but how do we know for sure Georgia's crazy president didn't just think he could get away with this?

I have been trying to make sense out of this for 4 hours and got nothing. Thank you everyone for the info, maybe it is not suppose to make sense, just the crazy times we are living.

Offline ES

• Old Iron Sides: Enemy of Tyrannical Scum
« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2008, 05:00:53 pm »
I don't want to be a cripsy critter.  ???
"My heroes are people who monkey wrench the new world order". - Jello Biafra

Offline trailhound

« Reply #244 on: August 08, 2008, 05:01:30 pm »
What do you guys think? Did Georgia's president just thought this up by himself? What does the evidence really show? I know, they've done it before with Kosovo, but how do we know for sure Georgia's crazy president didn't just think he could get away with this?

Well both Russia and Georgia are saying they were attacked first. A third party(s) influence is not being discussed msm i dont think. Havent read it all but its usually not much.. 3rd party(s) seems obvious to me and seems that party is probably the real initiator. 

"Do not let your hatred of a people incite you to aggression." Qur'an 5:2
At the heart of that Western freedom and democracy is the belief that the individual man, the child of God, is the touchstone of value..." -RFK

Offline Cywar

« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2008, 05:04:23 pm »
I am watching the UN Security Council.  Why is the guy the permanent United States Ambassador to the United Nations?  

Zalmay Mamozy Khalilzad (Pashto: زلمی خلیلزاد - Zalmay Khalīlzād) (born: 22 March 1951) is the permanent United States Ambassador to the United Nations. He has been involved with U.S. policy makers at the White House since the early 1980s, and is the highest-ranking Afghan American and Muslim in the Administration of U.S. President George W. Bush.[1] Khalilzad's previous assignments in the Administration include U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq.  An ethnic Pashtun,[1] Khalilzad was born in the city of Mazari Sharif in northern Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zalmay_Khalilzad

http://www.usunnewyork.usmission.gov/

==========================

He doesn't even sound like an American ??

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance."

—Albert Einstein

Offline Freeski

« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2008, 05:09:52 pm »
Foxnews.com is saying Martial Law in Georgia - no more info yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/

Don't bite me, I just there and to cnn to see what official story they want me to believ!
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Aerioch

« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2008, 05:11:53 pm »
Hmmm..

Both Russian, and Georgians think the other side started the attack.  The United States, and Israel has had "independent contractors" training the Georgian military for "Defense" in the area until last week.

Sound strange? Our people leave less then seven days before TSHTF in that area?
Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Offline gabba2k7

« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2008, 05:12:07 pm »
dont read discussion and statments. 3AM. Im came back from raggajungle posse;)

the truth is [ ;) ] use ur brains first.!!!

georgia want to
a)get S.osetia (and Abhazia)  
b)remove russian peacemakers
[maybe] c)enter NATO (with future perspective - to be in EU - LOL)

what to do
a)to attack [u can remember okruashvilly speeches about it, when he was the minister of defence] and to tell (from UN tribunes) that aggressors - are not georgian but evil separate S.osetia forces. we know such tactics. everybody remeber the head of USA gov.dep with bottle of "chemical" "Iraq" "weapon" etc...Or...u know the story about Reichstag burning? (yeeeaaahhh that it)....
b)to provocate russian peacemakers (if they will open opposite fire - georgia can go to their masters and said "evil not democratic Russia attack us - lets remove their forces" i mean they will have real occasion)
++++dont forget - most people of S.Osetia - have russian citizenship. and the shit is - they cant protect them...only evacuate...or give bunker for those who can be transported that time...
b2)Oh...but thats problem for georgia. Russian forces are not opening fire. and diplomats from Russia trying to stop the conflict, Convoking UN Emergency meetings...
what to do??? Yeah...famous tactics...LIE....that Russia  participates actively in the conflict...i've heard that georgia Have brought down 2 russian aircraft. people - if there will be russian aircraft - u must forget about georgia army. so dont be silly - there is no Russian army with aircraft and tanks ;)))
c)to enter NATO - means be against Russia ;)
...so....infowars is going on. Georgia is a really gooooooood present for Westpress fairy-tales makers. U need new tale about evil kremlin? - ask Saakashvilly;)

S.osetia wants to
-not to be in Georgia
-not to be in war conflict
and S.osetia know about Georgia "peaceful" wishes

so the question is - Will S.Osetia provocate georgian military forces??? will S.Osetia the first enter the war (start the war activities) - S.Osetia knows
very well, that russia will render onlythe formal help (and u can see it - if russia start activitie - Russia will loose this region. loose it peacemakers troops positions. cant protect its citizens at all. So thats why Russia can only try to use diplomatics and powerless UN, which work blocks with the "help" of some countries.)  
+for those who dont know - georgia (while officially saying about peaceful way of problem solution) Increased its forces every day and making entrenchments and position near by S.Osetia boar ders. I dont think that u heard about that ;))) Most funny - Georgia like magic numbers 08\08\08 the rather official war doings has begun. and its olimpic games date of beggining ;) [Hitler attack USSR In day of a solstice *joking*]

PS. Burn ur press - if there will be some stuff which is illogical.
PSPS F.Y.I:
Caucasus have always been an aim for West for creation there instability.
CIA-Queda financed the Chechen insurgents who nicknamed in the west as "democrats"

peace.
•introducing topic there ->http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=22290
•icq #218-389-594.

Offline Chocolaty

« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2008, 05:12:56 pm »
Foxnews.com is saying Martial Law in Georgia - no more info yet.

http://www.foxnews.com/

Don't bite me, I just there and to cnn to see what official story they want me to believ!

According to Georgia's military security secretary the president is about to declare martial law

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2008, 05:13:56 pm »
We do have the US only asking Russia to get out, they're not asking Georgia to get out of SO.
I guess that's evidence. Aerioch reminded me of how the contractors just leaved before this started.

By the way, Georgia's government's site just got hacked:
http://www.mfa.gov.ge/

GoodBush

« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2008, 05:14:38 pm »
Quote taken from....http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/07/military_princeqa_071408w/

Q: Can you do that training better than—clearly, you believe you can do that training better overseas than the United States military?

Erik Prince: I’m not saying we can do it better. I’m saying we can do it differently, that we can put guys that are focused on it for the long term and they can dwell there, you know, in Azerbaijan with the continuity that’s there.

You know the military unit sends a guy, and he’s going to be at that post for a year and he might get to know some of these areas, and then he leaves and he gets assigned to another SEAL team or another SF unit or he’s somewhere off in the staff career.

We can assign guys that will build that local knowledge, the continuity and credibility, so that you get a lot more done in the country than a guy that’s there. There’s a difference between being in a country, for a guy to be in the country for five years or for five people to be there one year at a time. That’s the difference.

End quote.

Blackwater training navy SEAL's in Azerbaijan....wait a minute didn't Cheney call for navy SEAL false flag just the other day. Now this war between Russia and Georgia.

Strange but not really.

Offline Sub-X

• FEAR: False Evidence Appearing Real...
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2008, 05:19:01 pm »
Emergency UN Meeting On Georgia
Sky News
8 Aug 2008

Georgia's president says he will declare martial law shortly as the UN Security Council holds an emergency meeting to discuss the worsening crisis in the country. 

Russian tanks and troops have launched a major military offensive in a conflict that threatens to escalate into all-out war.

The Kremlin has accused the Georgians of ethnic cleansing, saying they are trying to wipe out pro-Moscow separatists in a breakaway region of South Ossetia.

The Georgian Interior Ministry says Russian forces are in control of part of the South Ossetian capital, Tskhinvali - Russia's Interfax news agency said South Ossetian separatists were in charge.

Russian TV channel Vesti-24 reported that Russian and Georgian troops had exchanged fire while Georgia claims it has shot down five Russian warplanes.

US President George Bush and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, discussed the issue in Beijing, where they were at the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

The US State Department called for calm and is sending an envoy to South Ossetia to join international mediation efforts.

South Ossetian separatist leader Eduard Kokoity claimed hundreds of civilians had been killed in fighting.

The crisis was prompted by a Georgian move to retake the breakaway province and the death of 10 Russian peacekeepers.

Moscow responded by sending in tanks - Georgia says it will withdraw 1,000 of its 2,000 troops stationed in Iraq.

A United Nations call for an immediate ceasefire between all sides fell on deaf ears.

The UN had earlier failed to reach an agreement on a Russia-drafted statement that would have called on Georgia and separatists region to halt all bloodshed.

South Ossetia and a second rebel Georgian region, Abkhazia - both of which unilaterally broke away from Georgia at the beginning of the 1990s - enjoy Russian political and financial backing.

Speaking from Moscow, Sunday Times correspondent Mark Franchetti said Russia claims it now has no choice but to protect its peacekeepers and Russian citizens in the Georgian province.

He said tensions between the Georgians and the Russian-backed South Ossetians had been rising for months.

The presidency of Mikheil Saakashvili - who is viewed in Russia as a stooge of the West - has been a major bone of contention.

"(The Russians) oppose his plans for Georgia to join Nato because they feel the Americans and Nato are encircling Russia," Mr Franchetti said.

Sky's Russia correspondent, Alex Rossi, said a regional fight could turn into a major international confrontation.

"It certainly looks like it is heading to a full scale confrontation between Russia and  Georgia but this is no longer a regional dispute but is becoming a despite between east and west."

Prior to Russia's official intervention, witnesses described heavy fighting in Tskhinvali, with the night sky lit blue and red by explosions and Georgian forces appeared to be firing Katyusha rockets.

A spokesman for the separatists said in Moscow that the offensive had caused "deaths and many wounded".

Skirmishes since last weekend have deepened fears of full-blown conflict in the Caucasus, which is emerging as a vital energy transit route and where Russia and the West are vying for influence.
“If you strike at,imprison,or kill us,out of our prisons or graves we will still evoke a spirit that will thwart you,and perhaps,raise a force that will destroy you! We defy you! Do your worst!”-James Connolly 1909

DARK HALF-END GAME

Offline Aerioch

« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2008, 05:23:14 pm »
The same extact BS went down in Iraq ... when George Bush Senior was in charge.

C.I.A. funded, trained, supplied, and supported the Northern Kurds of Iraq.  He talked them into rebelling against Sadam only to leave them high and dry after they attacked, and got the vapors (nerve gassed) afterward.

same BS, different country.
Dr. Strangelove: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Offline trailhound

« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2008, 05:25:11 pm »
Well i have to give Fox credit for at least mentioning the major pipeline in the area..the newscaster half groaned at the thought of oil going up even more. Of coarse they didnt expand on it but im surprised they even mentioned it.

At the heart of that Western freedom and democracy is the belief that the individual man, the child of God, is the touchstone of value..." -RFK

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,399962,00.html
Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili is expected to declare martial law within hours, according to the Georgian security council chief, Reuters reported.

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
« Reply #256 on: August 08, 2008, 05:27:58 pm »
If they do that then China will be attacked by the US.

I seriously doubt that China fears that too much.  They have a 2.3 million+ man standing army and they sacrifice their own citizens en masse regulary.  Plus, if they dump the dollar durring the Olympics while spinning to the rest of the attending world that they had to because the violently aggressive US government was out of control, they'd get a lot of world sympathy cause right now, our criminal government has drawn America into the position of global boggieman.
Morality is contraband in war.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #257 on: August 08, 2008, 05:29:18 pm »
I seriously doubt that China fears that too much.  They have a 2.3 million+ man standing army and they sacrifice their own citizens en masse regulary.  Plus, if they dump the dollar durring the Olympics while spinning to the rest of the attending world that they had to because the violently aggressive US government was out of control, they'd get a lot of world sympathy cause right now, our criminal government has drawn America into the position of global boggieman.
Then what's China waiting for?

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2008, 05:30:42 pm »
Georgia to impose martial law, port bombed-official
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L8218534.htm
08 Aug 2008 21:03:45 GMT
Source: Reuters

TBILISI, Aug 9 (Reuters) - Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili will declare martial law in a few hours time, the secretary of Georgia's Security Council said early on Saturday.

"The president is going to declare a state of martial law within a few hours," Kakha Lomaia told Reuters. "Russia has bombed the (Black Sea) port of Poti and the military base at Senaki. We think Russia has started to bomb civil and economic infrastructure." (Reporting by James Kilner; writing by Conor Sweeney)
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2008, 05:33:18 pm »
Georgia to impose martial law, port bombed-official
Russia has bombed the (Black Sea) port of Poti and the military base at Senaki. We think Russia has started to bomb civil and economic infrastructure.
This is baaaad news.

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2008, 05:34:20 pm »
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view/20080808-153516/Russian-ship-spotted-near-Japans-Okinawa----report
TOKYO—A Russian navy intelligence ship has been in the Pacific off Japan's southern Okinawa island, possibly to monitor radio wave data from US forces, Japan's Kyodo News reported Friday.

A Japanese destroyer found the ship moving and stopping repeatedly in the high seas some 30-60 kilometers (18-37 miles) east of the island of Okinawa on Wednesday, the report said citing Japanese Defense Ministry sources.

The Russian vessel stopped its engines and began floating on Thursday afternoon at a point some 70 kilometers east of the southern tip of the island, Kyodo said.

More than half of the 40,000 US troops in Japan are based in Okinawa.

US troops are stationed in Japan under a security treaty with the country, which has been constitutionally pacifist since World War II.

Offline Sub-X

« Reply #261 on: August 08, 2008, 05:35:54 pm »
Some comments from the BBC News site : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7546639.stm

Our government did everything not to answer shooting from separatists, but they continued even after Saakashvili's declaration. They were shooting for over 2 hour and our side was not responding.. I live in Gori, it is very near from Tskhinvali. I heard all the shooting. Even now I can hear some shooting. I'm praying everything will be OK. I hope our military army will kick out the criminals from our land.
Mikheil Sukhitashvili, Gori, Georgia

The Georgian nation and Georgian refugees from its breakaway regions, have been waiting for 17 years to return to their homes, but Russian FSB trained breakaway region leaders of south Ossetia and Abkazia did nothing to bring peace in the region. I believe Georgia has full constitutional right to bring law and order on its world recognised sovereign territory.
Otto, London

There are hundreds of "volunteers" infiltrating into the region from the Russian side. Russia does everything to stop Georgia form entering NATO and it is because of widespread ignorance of western Europe in recent years. That is what appeasement does.
David, Tbilisi

We all Georgians are for peace, but sometimes it is getting difficult to get peace without the battle. War is something rational in the sense of its aims and goals, but the results might be destructive not only for Georgia, but for whole region. The democratic world should contribute in solving this problem. By the way, the neglect of this problem from Western countries propagated the processes. God is with us!
lasha Chochua, Tbilisi

Unfortunately for international peace efforts in South Ossetia the recent Kosovo precedent has created conditions for South Ossetian independence and unilateral secession from Georgia. A independent South Ossetia is now both easily facilitated and there is no incentive for the South Ossetians to stay in union with Georgia. In edition there is no credible standing for Georgia to resist this under international law.
Mihilo, Buffalo, Ny

I applaud Georgia's decisiveness to finally restore the order at home and get rid of Kokoity, this local self-proclaimed "tzar" whose ambitions only led to suffering of his own people. As a Ukrainian, I believe that now it is time for Kyiv to fulfil its strategic partnership with Tbilisi by announcing its readiness to help Georgia militarily if Abkhazia decides to open their so-called "second front". Ukraine's involvement, on the other hand, will help cool down many hot heads in Moscow who advocate that Moscow gets involved in Georgia's affairs on the basis that many South Osetians and Abkhazians have Russian passports.
Dmitry Koublitsky, Detroit, USA

Georgia says: "I offer you an immediate ceasefire and the immediate beginning of talks"?!! Don't trust them!!! Army use heavy guns and MLRS "GRAD" against civilians: they are attacking Tskhinval right now. Words to you at the morning, swords to us at the night.
Mikhail, Tskhinval, South Ossetia
“If you strike at,imprison,or kill us,out of our prisons or graves we will still evoke a spirit that will thwart you,and perhaps,raise a force that will destroy you! We defy you! Do your worst!”-James Connolly 1909

DARK HALF-END GAME

Offline mike E. dangerously

• none can escape the Sandman's dark dreams.
« Reply #262 on: August 08, 2008, 05:37:13 pm »
http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/world/view/20080808-153516/Russian-ship-spotted-near-Japans-Okinawa----report
TOKYO—A Russian navy intelligence ship has been in the Pacific off Japan's southern Okinawa island, possibly to monitor radio wave data from US forces, Japan's Kyodo News reported Friday.

A Japanese destroyer found the ship moving and stopping repeatedly in the high seas some 30-60 kilometers (18-37 miles) east of the island of Okinawa on Wednesday, the report said citing Japanese Defense Ministry sources.

The Russian vessel stopped its engines and began floating on Thursday afternoon at a point some 70 kilometers east of the southern tip of the island, Kyodo said.

US troops are stationed in Japan under a security treaty with the country, which has been constitutionally pacifist since World War II.

Russia is trying to find out what W's next move is.Heh,watched both CNN and fox they are focused on Edwards.of course! ::) :D
"What is it that sucks at my soul so acutely? What emptiness drives me out into the night time and again to fight forces I cannot hope to defeat.?"- The Sandman

Wanted

« Reply #263 on: August 08, 2008, 05:37:33 pm »
South Ossetia fighting risks wider war

By MUSA SADULAYEV – 13 minutes ago

DZHAVA, Georgia (AP) — Russia dispatched an armored column into the breakaway enclave of South Ossetia on Friday after Georgia, a staunch U.S. ally, launched a surprise offensive to crush separatists. Witnesses said hundreds of civilians were killed.

The fighting, which devastated the capital of Tskhinvali, threatened to ignite a wider war between Georgia and Russia, and escalate tensions between Moscow and Washington. Georgia said it was forced to launch the assault because of rebel attacks; the separatists alleged Georgia violated a cease-fire.

"I saw bodies lying on the streets, around ruined buildings, in cars," said Lyudmila Ostayeva, 50, who had fled with her family to Dzhava, a village near the border with Russia. "It's impossible to count them now. There is hardly a single building left undamaged."

The fighting broke out as much of the world's attention was focused on the start of the Olympic Games and many leaders, including Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and President Bush, were in Beijing.

The timing suggested Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili may have been counting on surprise to fulfill his longtime pledge to wrest back control of South Ossetia — a key to his hold on power. The rebels seek to unite with North Ossetia, which is part of Russia.

Saakashvili agreed the timing was not coincidental, but accused Russia of being the aggressor. "Most decision makers have gone for the holidays," he told CNN. "Brilliant moment to attack a small country."

Diplomats issued a flurry of statements calling on both sides to halt the fighting and called for another emergency session of the United Nations Security Council, its second since early Friday morning seeking to prevent an all-out war.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice urged Russia to halt aircraft and missile attacks and withdraw combat forces from Georgian territory. Rice said in a statement the United States wants Russia to respect Georgian sovereignty and agree to international mediation.

The leader of South Ossetia's rebel government, Eduard Kokoity, said about 1,400 people were killed in the onslaught, the Interfax news agency reported. The toll could not be independently confirmed.

As night fell, there were conflicting claims as to who held the battlefield advantage.

Saakashvili said "Georgian military forces completely control all the territory of South Ossetia" except for a northern section adjacent to Russia. But Russian news agencies cited a Russian military official as saying heavy fighting was under way on the outskirts of the regional capital.

It was unclear what might persuade either side to stop shooting. Both claim the battle started after the other side violated a cease-fire that had been declared just hours earlier after a week of sporadic clashes.

The United States was sending in its top Caucasus envoy, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Matthew Bryza, to try to end the bloodshed.

It was the worst outbreak of hostilities since the province won de facto independence in a war against Georgia that ended in 1992. Russian troops went in as peacekeepers but Georgia alleges they now back the separatists.

Russia, which has granted citizenship to most of the region's residents, appeared to lay much of the responsibility for ending the fighting on Washington.

In a telephone conversation with Rice, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Georgia must be convinced to withdraw its forces, according to a ministry statement.

Georgia, which borders the Black Sea between Turkey and Russia, was ruled by Moscow for most of the two centuries preceding the breakup of the Soviet Union. Georgia has angered Russia by seeking NATO membership — a bid Moscow regards as part of a Western effort to weaken its influence in the region.

Saakashvili long has pledged to restore Tbilisi's rule over South Ossetia and another breakaway province, Abkhazia. Both regions have run their own affairs without international recognition since splitting from Georgia in the early 1990s and have built up ties with Moscow.

Georgia has about 2,000 troops in Iraq, making it the third-largest contributor to coalition forces after the U.S. and Britain. But Saakashvili told CNN the troops would be called home Saturday in the face of the South Ossetia fighting.

A senior U.S. defense official said Georgian authorities have asked the United States for help getting their troops out of Iraq. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the discussions have been private, said no formal decision has been made on whether to support the departure, but said it is likely the U.S. will do so.

Also, Pentagon officials said Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, has reached out to his counterparts in Russia and Georgia, but has not yet connected with them.

Georgia's Foreign Ministry accused Russian aircraft of bombing two military air bases inside Georgia, inflicting some casualties and destroying several military aircraft. Rustavi 2 television said four people were killed and five wounded at the Marneuli air base.

Twelve Russian troops were killed and 30 wounded in the fighting, said Russian Ground Forces spokesman Col. Igor Konashenkov.

Russia's Defense Ministry said it was sending in reinforcements for its troops in the province, and Russian state television and Georgian officials reported a convoy of tanks had crossed the border. The convoy was expected to reach the provincial capital, Tskhinvali, by evening, Channel One television said.

"We are facing Russian aggression," said Georgia's Security Council chief Kakha Lomaya. "They have sent in their troops and weapons and they are bombing our towns."

Putin warned in the early stages of the conflict that the Georgian attack would draw retaliation and the Defense Ministry pledged to protect South Ossetians, most of whom have Russian citizenship.

Chairing a session of his Security Council in the Kremlin, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev also vowed that Moscow will protect Russian citizens.

"In accordance with the constitution and federal law, I, as president of Russia, am obliged to protect lives and dignity of Russian citizens wherever they are located," Medvedev said. "We won't allow the death of our compatriots go unpunished."

On Friday, an AP reporter saw tanks and other heavy weapons concentrating on the Russian side of the border with South Ossetia — supporting the reports of an incursion. Some villagers were fleeing into Russia.

The Georgian state minister for reintegration, Temur Yakobashvili, said Georgian forces had shot down four Russian combat planes over Georgian territory but gave no details. Russia's Defense Ministry denied an earlier Georgia report about one Russian plane downed and had no immediate comment on the latest claim.

Yakobashvili said one Russian plane had dropped a bomb on the Vaziani military base near the Georgian capital, but no one was hurt. More than 1,000 U.S. Marines and soldiers were at the base last month to teach combat skills to Georgian troops.

South Ossetia officials said Georgia attacked with aircraft, armor and heavy artillery. Georgian troops fired missiles at Tskhinvali, an official said, and many buildings were on fire.

Georgia's president said Russian aircraft bombed several Georgian villages and other civilian facilities.

A senior Russian diplomat in charge of the South Ossetian conflict, Yuri Popov, dismissed the Georgian claims of Russian bombings as misinformation, the RIA-Novosti news agency reported.

The Georgian attack came just hours after Saakashvili announced a unilateral cease-fire in a television broadcast late Thursday in which he also urged South Ossetian separatist leaders to enter talks on resolving the conflict.

Georgian officials later blamed South Ossetian separatists for thwarting the cease-fire by shelling Georgian villages in the area.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hV2N6fVKS5slf10A13Dj_uIdaZ4QD92EBK180

Offline Sasha

• Sasha
« Reply #264 on: August 08, 2008, 05:40:10 pm »
Then what's China waiting for?

International sentiment maybe - including what's likely to be a rapidly aproaching emergency UN meeting - to gauge what the world reaction is going to be to this overtly illegal military action.  If we get condemned we could be looking at a coalition of the willing aimed at the US, whether economically or militarily.

Cheney and the globalists have pushed Putin and the Chinese elites before, and the results are not always predictable or subtle.
Morality is contraband in war.
- Mahatma Gandhi

GoodBush

« Reply #265 on: August 08, 2008, 05:41:10 pm »
This is one huge psy-op against us.

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
« Reply #266 on: August 08, 2008, 05:41:39 pm »
Heh,watched both cnn and fox they are foucsed on Edwards.of course! ::) :D

Of coarse, a sex scandal is always more important to the MSM than a war breaking out. :P

Wanted

« Reply #267 on: August 08, 2008, 05:43:19 pm »
Of coarse, a sex scandal is always more important to the MSM than a war breaking out. :P

There is a sex scandal, and i am not even aware of it?  :o

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #268 on: August 08, 2008, 05:44:04 pm »
CNN reports Georgia's capital Tblisi is being bombed on saturday night right now (Saturday just began in Georgia now)
As Route24 said Russia is bombing the harbor in Poti:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poti#Military
It's full war.

Offline trailhound

« Reply #269 on: August 08, 2008, 05:44:42 pm »

Nice timing eh...maybe Russia did strike first or else had definitive intel to know the offensive from Georgia was coming.

Wanted

« Reply #270 on: August 08, 2008, 05:46:13 pm »
At UN, Georgia accuses Russia of challenging democracy (Roundup)
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/europe/news/article_1422535.php/At_UN_Georgia_accuses_Russia_of_challenging_democracy__Roundup_

New York - Georgia told the United Nations Security Council Friday that Russia mounted a 'premeditated' attack on its territory, with aerial bombings and land invasion that inflicted civilian casualties.

The United States concurred with Georgia, saying that Russian combat troops and warplanes entered that country in gross violation of its sovereignty and territorial integrity.

The Georgian envoy to the United Nations, Irakli Alasania, addressed a public meeting of the 15-nation council during a second emergency meeting in less than 24 hours to discuss the fighting involving Russian and Georgian troops over the breakaway region of South Ossetia.

'Russia launched a blunt and open invasion of Georgia and has challenged the international community and its established democracy,' Alasania said.

The fighting in Southern Ossetia, a breakaway enclave of Georgia, erupted on the same day the Summer Olympic Games opened in Beijing, despite the call from the United Nations to respect the Olympics Truce and for warring parties to cease all hostilities worldwide during the games.

The Olympics Truce is launched at every Olympics, but this was the first time that a new conflict began on the opening day of the summer games.

Alasania told the council the attack began early Friday with waves of aerial bombings involving SU bombers and SU25 jet fighters that struck at different areas inside Georgia, hitting at villages and military installations.

He charged that Russia had illegally brought military equipment into Georgia, never mentioning specifically whether it was in South Ossetia or Georgia proper.

Alasania pointed to a map with red and blue marks showing sites hit by Russian military craft and areas he alleged Russia had entered in the Georgian territory.

He called for the immediate pullout of Russian military personnel before the start of negotiations for a ceasefire with the mediation of international organizations.

Russia's UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin, who has clashed with Alasania at UN headquarters in New York in the past over the breakaway Abkhazia province, rejected the Georgian's accusations.

But US Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad told the council that Russian troops had entered Georgian territory, a former Soviet republic with a complex relationship with Russia. Khalilzad called for the immediate withdrawal of Russian troops and talks to end the hostilities.

'The United States is profoundly disturbed by this development and we call on Russia to cease all attacks and respect Georgia's sovereignty and territorial integrity,' Khalilzad said.

'My government supports a ceasefire under international mediation and we seek Russia's support for the ceasefire,' he said. He called for restraint on both sides of the conflict.

Other council members supported a ceasefire and for talks to reach that agreement.

Friday's emergency session was requested by Alasania, whose country has accused Russia of backing separatist forces in South Ossetia and Abkhasia, and threatened Georgia's independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity.

Alasania, in a letter to the council's president, said Russian troops had invaded Georgian territory and Russian planes had bombed targets in the country.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon expressed concern about the latest fighting in a statement issued Thursday in New York and urged warring parties to refrain from action that could endanger stability in their region.

Offline Sub-X

« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2008, 05:46:32 pm »
Russia turns might of its war machine on rebel neighbour Georgia
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4489149.ece
9 Aug 2008

Russian tanks roll into Georgia

Russia and Georgia were on the brink of war last night after Moscow responded to a Georgian offensive in the breakaway republic of South Ossetia by sending tanks, troops and war-planes across the border.

Thousands of civilians were reported to have been killed and large parts of Tskhinvali, the South Ossetian capital, were reduced to ruins as a conflict with potentially global repercussions erupted after months of rising tension. Georgia announced last night that it was withdrawing half of its 2,000 troops from Iraq as it ordered an all-out military mobilisation.

The country is the West’s strongest ally in the region, one of the staunchest supporters of America’s War on Terror and a vital conduit for Western oil and gas supplies from Central Asia.

“We have Russian tanks moving in. We have continuous Russian bombardment,” President Saakashvili declared as he appealed for international support. “Russia is fighting a war with us in our own territory.”

The United States, the European Union and Nato appealed for an immediate end to the fighting and for the crisis to be resolved through direct talks. President Bush pledged US support for Georgia’s territorial integrity after holding talks with Vladimir Putin, the Russian Prime Minister, in Beijing where both men were attending the opening of the Olympic Games.

After a week of skirmishes with separatist militias, Georgian forces began an offensive on Thursday night to seize control of South Ossetia, which won de facto independence in a civil war in the early 1990s and has since sought closer links with Russia.

Russia responded by sending units of its 58th Army, including tanks and hundreds of troops, into South Ossetia while its aircraft reportedly attacked military targets in Georgia itself.

Eduard Kokoity, the leader of South Ossetia’s self-styled government, said that more than 1,400 people had died in the Georgian offensive. The International Committee of the Red Cross said that hospitals were overflowing. Reporters saw trucks bringing wounded Georgian soldiers out of South Ossetia to a military hospital in Gori.

Russia said that at least ten of its peacekeepers in South Ossetia had been killed and another thirty wounded. Georgia claimed to have shot down five Russian jets. Mr Saakashvili told CNN: “It’s like the attack into Afghanistan in 1979. It’s like Czechoslovakia when the Soviet tanks rolled in. If they get away with this in Georgia, the world will be in trouble.”

South Ossetia is little bigger than Luxembourg. but an all-out war would have global repercussions and could leave Russia with a stranglehold on Central Asia’s vast oil and gas supplies. Analysts said that Georgia’s bid for Nato membership, to be discussed at a summit in December, would be complicated greatly by continuing hostilities with Russia. If an increasingly assertive Kremlin succeeds in imposing its will on its tiny neighbour, it might be encouraged to do the same elsewhere in the former Soviet Union.

DARK HALF-END GAME

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2008, 05:47:26 pm »
Nice timing eh...maybe Russia did strike first or else had definitive intel to know the offensive from Georgia was coming.
They probably knew what was coming. Russia knows they're being surrounded by the US.

Offline ES

• Old Iron Sides: Enemy of Tyrannical Scum
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2008, 05:48:18 pm »
I am watching the UN Security Council.  Why is the guy the permanent United States Ambassador to the United Nations?  

Zalmay Mamozy Khalilzad (Pashto: زلمی خلیلزاد - Zalmay Khalīlzād) (born: 22 March 1951) is the permanent United States Ambassador to the United Nations. He has been involved with U.S. policy makers at the White House since the early 1980s, and is the highest-ranking Afghan American and Muslim in the Administration of U.S. President George W. Bush.[1] Khalilzad's previous assignments in the Administration include U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq.  An ethnic Pashtun,[1] Khalilzad was born in the city of Mazari Sharif in northern Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zalmay_Khalilzad

He's a neocon who studied at the university of chicago under leo strauss along with the rest of the neocons. He's an insider.

http://www.usunnewyork.usmission.gov/

==========================

He doesn't even sound like an American ??

"My heroes are people who monkey wrench the new world order". - Jello Biafra

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2008, 05:49:25 pm »
http://www.army.mil/-news/2008/07/17/10953-security-cooperation-exercise-immediate-response-2008-begins-with-official-ceremony-in-republic-of-georgia/
VAZIANI TRAINING AREA, Republic of Georgia -- Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen from the U.S., Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan and Ukraine participated in the opening ceremony here July 15 for the training exercise Immediate Response 2008.
http://www.prisonplanet.com/us-attacks-russia-through-client-state-georgia.html
I guess you've all read that yet?

Offline mike E. dangerously

• none can escape the Sandman's dark dreams.
« Reply #275 on: August 08, 2008, 05:52:11 pm »
ah,how silly of me to think that maybe both news networks would have the first battle of WWIII as the lead story not when they have guaranteed ratings booster with this sex scandal. ::) lol
"What is it that sucks at my soul so acutely? What emptiness drives me out into the night time and again to fight forces I cannot hope to defeat.?"- The Sandman

Offline HYDROGENPAL

• Friends Of Austin, unite and create a plan..
    • Run your car on water.
« Reply #276 on: August 08, 2008, 05:52:56 pm »
let me clarify then
I am asking you all then to look within your self not any books or mans writings of ay kind.
I am asking all of you who read this please close your eyes and begin to pray just for a moment...

Father help me understand what i dont,
Help me to see what i cant, Open the eyes of my heart lord.
Please be with me now.
I need you.
I need you in so many ways God.
I need help reaching these people that cant see past the lies; God.
Help me reach them; why they argue so?
please bless all the lives that are being destroyed through this kotic plan and the lives it is taking.
All i ask Father is that you would break these chains that the poeple of this world have on them and give us 1 more chance to bring the people on this web page togeather as one group to bring the truth to  light. help us God to not bicker amungst ourselves like they want us to. But yet join us togeather to make one finall stand against the beast.
In Jesus name.
“He who fails to assert his rights has none.”

Offline David Rothscum

« Reply #277 on: August 08, 2008, 05:53:12 pm »
Russia knew what was coming:
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2008/07/200871515107741998.html
US army exercises begin in Georgia  

The Georgian and US military exercise involve around 1,650 servicemen [EPA]

The United States and Russia are holding military exercises on either side of the Caucasus mountains amid increasing tensions over the fate of two separatist regions in ex-Soviet Georgia.

Almost 8,000 Russian servicemen began anti-terrorism exercises on Tuesday across Russia's north Caucasus region, which borders Georgia, a spokesman for the Russian army said.

In Georgia itself, a total of around 1,650 soldiers form the US, Georgia and several other East European countries, have begun exercises on the formerly Russian-controlled Vaziani base, the Georgian defence ministry said.

Tensions between Georgia and Russia have soared in recent months as Moscow has increased its support for Georgia's separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

The Russian exercises were planned a year ago and "are in no way related to the US-Georgian activities," Igor Konashenkov, a Russian army spokesman said.

Russian 'peacekeeping'

Moscow has also been angered by Georgia's moves to join the Nato.

Nana Intskirveli, a spokeswoman for the Georgian defence ministry, said the exercises were taking part under the auspices of the military alliance.

She said Armenian, Azerbaijani and Ukrainian staff officers were are also taking part in the exercises, which will last for three weeks.

Konashenkov said the Russian exercises were in part designed to prepare forces for peacekeeping work in Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

"In connection with the aggravated situation of the Georgian-Abkhazian and Georgian-Ossetian conflicts... we will also work on participation in special operations to bring peace to zones of armed conflicts," he said.

Around 700 pieces of military hardware will be used during the exercises, he said.

Offline Sub-X

« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2008, 05:53:57 pm »
How Georgia fell into its enemies' trap
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article4488503.ece
August 9, 2008
Edward Lucas

The fighting in the Caucasus should be a deafening wake-up call to the West

When is a victory not a victory? When it dents your country's image, scares your allies and gets you into an unwinnable war with a hugely stronger opponent.

That is the bleak outlook for Georgia this weekend, after what initially looked like a quick military win against the separatist regime in South Ossetia. Georgia's attack followed weeks of escalating provocations, including hours of heavy shelling by the Russian-backed breakaway province and signs of large-scale Russian reinforcement.

Thanks to American military aid, Georgia's 18,000-strong armed forces are the best-trained and equipped fighting force in the Caucasus. But it is one thing for them to defeat the raggle-taggle militia of a tinpot place like South Ossetia (population 70,000). It is another for a country of less than five million people to take on Russia (population 142 million). Now the Kremlin is reacting strongly. Russian warplanes are reportedly striking targets in Georgia. Reinforcements are pouring in. And the Kremlin's mighty propaganda machine is lumbering into action while a cyber-attack appears to have crippled Georgia's websites.

For it is the information war, not what happens on the ground, that will determine the victor of this conflict. Russia is portraying Georgia as the aggressor, an intransigent and unpredictable country determined to restore its supremacy over an unwilling province by means of military force and “ethnic cleansing”. Such a country, clearly, would be unfit to receive Western support.

That seems to be working. European leaders have long been dubious about Mikhail Saakashvili, a charismatic US-educated lawyer who stormed to power in the Rose Revolution of 2005. Where the fans of the Georgian President see charm and brains, his critics - such as the German Chancellor Angela Merkel - see a dangerously headstrong and erratic leader. A crackdown on the Opposition in November, bullying of the media and instances of abuse of power among senior officials have allowed detractors to draw uncomfortable parallels between Georgia and Vladimir Putin's Russia.

These are misplaced: Georgia is not perfect, but it is not a dictatorship. Its leadership does not peddle a phoney ideology, such as the Kremlin's mishmash of Soviet nostalgia and tsarist-era chauvinism. It has a thriving civil society, vocal opposition and ardently wants to be in the EU and Nato. Moral grounds alone would be enough reason for supporting it against Russian aggression.

But on top of that is a vital Western interest. The biggest threat Russia poses to Europe is the Kremlin's monopoly on energy export routes to the West from the former Soviet Union. The one breach in that is the oil and gas pipeline that leads from energy-rich Azerbaijan to Turkey, across Georgia. If Georgia falls, Europe's hopes of energy independence from Russia fall too.

Yet the West is both divided and distracted. America will be furious if reports turn out to be true that Russian warplanes bombed an airfield where Pentagon military advisers are based. But a lame-duck president is not going to risk World War Three for Georgia. In Europe, Georgia's allies are mostly small ex-communist states such as Lithuania; heavily outnumbered by those such as Germany that prize their relations with Russia, seemingly, above all else. It seems Russia is ready to hit back hard, in the hope of squashing the West's pestilential protégé.

In short, it looks more and more as though Georgia has fallen in to its enemies' trap. The script went like this: first mount unbearable provocations, then wait for a response, and finally reply with overwhelming military force and diplomatic humiliation. The idea that Georgia sought this war is nonsense. Recovering control of South Ossetia from its Russian-backed rulers has been a top priority for the Georgian authorities for years. But nobody thought it would come by military means. The Georgian strategy had been to use soft power, underlining its prosperity and the corruption-busting successes of Mr Saakashvili's rule. That contrasted sharply with the isolation and cronyism of South Ossetia, which survives only on smuggling and Russian subsidies.

Now that strategy is in ruins. As things stand, Georgia will be fighting not to regain South Ossetia or even to deter aggression, but to survive. It is hard to see any good outcome. Georgia has failed to win a quick victory: crucially, it failed to block the Roki tunnel under the Caucasus mountains, normally used as a smugglers' highway, but now the route for Russian heavy weapons that Georgia cannot counter for long. Worse, the authorities in Abkhazia, Georgia's other breakaway region, may mount an attack, either on its own or with Russian help.

The fighting should be a deafening wake-up call to the West. Our fatal mistake was made at the Nato summit in Bucharest in April, when Georgia's attempt to get a clear path to membership of the alliance was rebuffed. Mr Saakashvili warned us then that Russia would take advantage of any display of Western weakness or indecision. And it has.

Edward Lucas is the author of The New Cold War (Bloomsbury)

DARK HALF-END GAME

Offline HYDROGENPAL

• Friends Of Austin, unite and create a plan..
    • Run your car on water.
« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2008, 05:56:03 pm »
let me clarify then
I am asking you all then to look within your self not any books or mans writings of ay kind.
I am asking all of you who read this please close your eyes and begin to pray just for a moment...

Father help me understand what i dont,
Help me to see what i cant, Open the eyes of my heart lord.
Please be with me now.
I need you.
I need you in so many ways God.
I need help reaching these people that cant see past the lies; God.
Help me reach them; why they argue so?
please bless all the lives that are being destroyed through this kotic plan and the lives it is taking.
All i ask Father is that you would break these chains that the poeple of this world have on them and give us 1 more chance to bring the people on this web page togeather as one group to bring the truth to  light. help us God to not bicker amungst ourselves like they want us to. But yet join us togeather to make one finall stand against the beast.
In Jesus name.

Bless those who die in this battle bless those that fight to understand your love and bless the world see through the lies.
“He who fails to assert his rights has none.”