How to get video from my comcast DVR box?

Author Topic: How to get video from my comcast DVR box?  (Read 14023 times)

Offline notagain

How to get video from my comcast DVR box?
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:46:01 pm »
I have a comcast DVR and I want to put stuff up on youtube, but I dont know how.  What cables do I need or what programs do I need? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Offline roguewave

• You'll never see it coming.
Re: How to get video from my comcast DVR box?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:13:05 pm »
I doubt there is a legal method for doing this from your DVR, but what you should consider instead is getting a cable card for your computer. Then you can record show just like with the DVR, but you can capture the feed to the computer in a format that can go directly to youtube. I haven't done this myself, but I know people that have.

Offline psyopagent

• 911truthpedia
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:20:21 pm »
Use a Neuros OSD, works quite nicely.  http://www.neurostechnology.com/  Use it for Dish DVR, though the only thing is it works like a VCR, but records in mp4

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 01:06:06 am »
I have a comcast DVR and I want to put stuff up on youtube, but I dont know how.  What cables do I need or what programs do I need? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

You will need a TV tuner card such as a Hauppauge WinTV GO, connect the cable box to it, install a TV tuner program on your PC, put it on channel 3 (or Composite or S-Video if the tuner card and the box have composite or S-Video), and then record.

For Windows, WinTV GO comes with WinTV 2000. It allows you to watch TV and record TV. I prefer using the InterVideo WinDVR 3 program to watch and record TV.

For Linux, the only worthwhile TV recording software is MythTV. There is also Freevo, but I have never been able to get it properly running on Ubuntu. (Freevo is also available for Windows.)

For both, you can use the VLC media player to record TV, although getting it set up with your TV tuner on Linux may be complicated.

If you have a Mac, you could get a firewire TV recorder and use Final Cut Pro.

Offline zdux0012

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 01:11:03 am »
MythTv 

Linux based of course, so you don't have to worry about being hacked and spy-ed upon.

It will record only new shows, automatically convert them to flv, durn to DVD, archive to disk, be queued for removal, remove commercials, etc..  and meanwhile allow you to play MAME arcade games.

I got a tv capture card for $20, used an old free computer, did not need to purchase any additional tv services such as tv guide and just let it run. A few months later I have every spongebob ever made.
Get off of Windows / Mac!! You are not safe.
Get an OS you can trust. Linux, Free BSD. Ask for help!

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 07:22:37 pm »
MythTv 

Linux based of course, so you don't have to worry about being hacked and spy-ed upon.

MythTV is good provided you have a good enough TV tuner. My AVerTV TV tuner card runs like shit with MythTV because of the stupid design of the video card. The biggest flaw is there is no line-out jack for audio. The audio is processed by the TV tuner and sent to your sound system. I'm planning on getting a WinTV GO which does have a line-out jack.

After I take care of the TV tuner issue and replace my power supply, I'm gonna switch to Mythbuntu 8.04.1 (an official Ubuntu derivative with MythTV built in; also includes the drivers for my nVidia GeForce 6200 card which has an S-Video-out port so I can hook the computer up to my big TV).

Offline seraulu1

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:04:18 am »
Hi ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;),

That's good thanks for that comment!how to hypnotize someone

Offline phosphene

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 04:21:47 am »
You should be able to network the cable box with your computer(s) and just drag and drop your video files from machine to machine. or...

Play your DVR into your computer, then press record. capture 1920x1080 through HDMI for 200 bux. Mac and PC. If the HDMI source has a copy-protection signal embedded, you can just capture through the analog side of the card.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."--Joshua

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:26:19 am »
I now have a WinTV PVR-250 tuner card which works great on my Mythbox running Mythbuntu 8.04.