I watch tv and play video games

Author Topic: I watch tv and play video games  (Read 17947 times)

Offline mr anderson

• WeAreChange Brisbane
I watch tv and play video games
« on: September 05, 2007, 08:30:55 AM »
I watch my fair share of tv, not as much as I used to when I was in high school and I play a video game almost daily for 1.5hr; Battlefield 2.

Alex has more or less said this leads to a dumbing down of society...

I feel more informed and woken up then I ever had and I still watch tv and play video games, I still and will always believe in freedom and stand up and fight tyranny. Can you watch tv and play games and still be woken up?
WeAreChange Brisbane
I hold personal views, beliefs and opinions that do not necessarily reflect the beliefs and opinions of WeAreChange Brisbane as a whole.

Our Bitcoin address: 1Fzb4bp48oMr7CFzT3SbkTzKpMSvWW1X1t

Offline genraidar

Re: I watch tv and play video games
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:35:15 AM »
Yes. I do both. I read, too.

If an armed revolution came I wouldn't be sitting playing video games though.

Offline lawbreaker

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:40:13 AM »
 thats why i hope the revolution waits until after grand theft auto 4 comes out. video games help improve a persons shooting ability, which will soon be important i suspect. its odd to me that anybody would think video games are bad. i mean if hillary clinton and the rest of the militant feminsts hate them, then they have to be good.

Offline 7stringking

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 08:58:18 AM »
thats why i hope the revolution waits until after grand theft auto 4 comes out. video games help improve a persons shooting ability, which will soon be important i suspect. its odd to me that anybody would think video games are bad. i mean if hillary clinton and the rest of the militant feminsts hate them, then they have to be good.

Yeah, good point...I mainly play sports videogames though.....I'm already too violent without shooters!HaHa....Gears of War was good though.

I think Alex does have some good points about games...I think they do de-sensitize a large portion of our populace.Still better than TV....that is the worst.People are just being fed mind control when watching TV...at least games are forcing action by the user.

Offline lawbreaker

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 09:03:01 AM »
 i used to love sports games, until EA got that nfl exclusivity crap. and i loved baseball until somebody got the exclusive rights on that. who was it 2K? gears of war was definitely cool, especially the chain saw. me and the wife played it co-op linked up. we also loved brothers in arms. whats better than busting a cap in someones ass, and not going to prison for it?

Offline aLLyOuRbAsE

• Free Man
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 10:42:16 AM »
i think in a free society we would find out very quickly about the effects of television and games...

im sure that the principles behind them, as in communication, and interaction, via visual and audio, are entirely possible, but i do fear our current usage has some flaws, to put it light-ly...
Peace and Love.

If I don't, who will?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcx9BJRadfw

The ends do NOT justify the means...

Offline TimeLady

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 02:33:57 PM »
I've pretty much stopped watching TV. I play video games too, but the last video game I played with a light gun was Duck Hunt. (No, I'm not _that_ old, we just had an NES when I was a little one.)

I'm just as suspicious of games like WoW/Everquest/other MMORPGs as Alex is, though. I mean, people spend ten, twelve hours at a time playing those games, instead of existing in the real world.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline whitelocust

• Hile, Gunslingers!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 02:49:46 PM »
i agree, i can't stand mmorpg's, but i love regular rpg's. especially final fantasy, because they use real mythology and bring it into a different light. good storylines, well developed characters, and strategic battle systems. i enjoy first person shooters as well, namely halo and halo 2. oh, and anything star wars. i've played a lot of games, and most of them do have some sort of propaganda inserted, especially the older nes games, such as "Rush 'n' Attack" (obvious) and "1942/3". as for television, i watch very little. boston legal (which is chock full of propaganda, but if you're awake, you realize it instantly), house, and a few of the adult swim cartoons. i used to watch cnn, but after awakening, i just don't trust anything that comes out of that channel, or any other news channel. i even find myself questioning the local news. books i enjoy are mainly fiction. anything orwell. asimov is great. he wrote a lot of good stories outside the i-robot series. tolkien and stephen king. if there's propaganda in any of these authors books, i haven't noticed any. can anyone think of any examples?
The world has moved on.

Offline perfectstrangers

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 03:16:20 PM »
Yea, some people aren't totally into details. I mean, they might hear the basic idea of a crime but not want to see the details of the crime scene. They know the general idea and just like to watch or read fiction. Like I doubt you'd get a game programmer, movie or TV star, who knows the truth to not want to watch their art.

I don't like TV and never watch. Everytime I see it I get sick to think they are doing this while all this death and torture is going on. And their networks and corporate supporters are lying and responsible. Guess I constantly see details... ::)

Offline TimeLady

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 02:27:35 AM »
i agree, i can't stand mmorpg's, but i love regular rpg's. especially final fantasy, because they use real mythology and bring it into a different light. good storylines, well developed characters, and strategic battle systems. i enjoy first person shooters as well, namely halo and halo 2. oh, and anything star wars. i've played a lot of games, and most of them do have some sort of propaganda inserted, especially the older nes games, such as "Rush 'n' Attack" (obvious) and "1942/3". as for television, i watch very little. boston legal (which is chock full of propaganda, but if you're awake, you realize it instantly), house, and a few of the adult swim cartoons. i used to watch cnn, but after awakening, i just don't trust anything that comes out of that channel, or any other news channel. i even find myself questioning the local news. books i enjoy are mainly fiction. anything orwell. asimov is great. he wrote a lot of good stories outside the i-robot series. tolkien and stephen king. if there's propaganda in any of these authors books, i haven't noticed any. can anyone think of any examples?

Hmm. There _could_ be propaganda there... for instance, _1984_ is propaganda for us to "think". Thinking leads to crimethink, comrade!

A frequent theme in Asimov's fiction seems to be of a hidden cabal controlling the world/galaxy. -_-

A recurring theme I've found in Stephen King's fiction is that the government is lying to you, and wants to cover up anything extraordinary.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline whitelocust

• Hile, Gunslingers!
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 03:22:04 AM »
yeah, the first half of the stand is pretty much government conspiracy at its ugliest. dreamcatcher, too. i'm sure everyone has seen the movie "the running man" (barf), which is so loosely based on the book it shouldn't  even be credited at all. the book was a "richard bachman" book, and it's one of my personal favorites. rather than a stocky arnold shwarzenhitler type figure, the protagonist is an average joe, and unlike the movie where the characters roam around in a maze/arena type setup, this game of cat and mouse takes place at the national level, and even offers prizes to private citizens for the capture or murder of our hero. this is a must read.
The world has moved on.

Offline 7stringking

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 08:50:39 AM »
i used to love sports games, until EA got that nfl exclusivity crap. and i loved baseball until somebody got the exclusive rights on that. who was it 2K? gears of war was definitely cool, especially the chain saw. me and the wife played it co-op linked up. we also loved brothers in arms. whats better than busting a cap in someones ass, and not going to prison for it?

2k is making All Pro Football now using retired NFL players...GREAT GAME!!!...came out on July 17th.....

Offline lawbreaker

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 10:11:49 AM »

2k is making All Pro Football now using retired NFL players...GREAT GAME!!!...came out on July 17th.....
i'll check it out

Offline genraidar

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 09:42:30 AM »
I used to play MMORPGs. They can be addicting but it is not the game design itself, it is just people themselves get too enamored in it. I was addicted for a while but I stopped playing for 2 months, then the urge drove me back but after that, I just couldn't stay addicted anymore, I made up my mind not to and I couldn't. If I felt like I wanted to stop for a while I could just hit quit and not think a thing about it.

Offline tonyswan

!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 09:37:48 PM »
Well, I don't watch hardly any TV.  Thing is I always got the old thing runnin in the background.  Belive it or not Starz had Iraq For Sale and Walmart the High Cost of Low Prices playing on demand for about a month!  I watch WWE/ECW every week and besides Discovery Channel/History Channel and a couple of shows on Sci-Fi thats about it.

I started playin video games when I was only 2 years old and I was better than both my parents and my 2x old as me sister at mario and every other game.  Then as a teen I got DooM on SNES.  I then went on to get DooM 2 for PC.  I later started making maps for DooM 2 and learned how to make HTML in notepad lol.

Since I have played many Shooter games on many systems alike.

I reccomend:

Half-Life/Half-Life 2 - and all its mods - specifically Zombie Master
DooM 3 and 1 and 2 for old schoolers
Area 51 for PS2/PC and the coming sequel Blacksite: Area 51

Good RPGs:

Diablo 2
Afterworld Alpha is ok MMO
Entropia Universe if u rich lol MMO

And no, I have played Halo 2 and I don't like it... sorry

The aim increase theory seems to be very accurate as I have never fired a weapon other than a 4/10 shotty single shot yet, a few months ago I was able to hit within the bullzeye with a 20 year old completely innacurate bolt gun which broke by the end of the day.

And then they say video games make you in a near death state: I would like to see some credible refrences on that one!

Offline Joe(WI)

• Knowledge
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 09:54:48 PM »
I think Alex warns more about the desensitising and behavior modification effects of immediate gratification games, and the low brainwave states involved. The programming is what takes over when you aren't mindful. I talk to people's programming all the time, not the human being, but their conditioning. Usually I notice they have no idea why they believe what they just said. With videos its different, its like it wants to hardwire around your logic and reasoning centers, circumvent thinking. Repress any cognitive dissonance(ever notice how "its all about Meeeee" the current generaton is?) Much more efficient. We must break their programming by making people think once again, use those cognitive centers. Recognise programming for what it is, propaganda for the masses, not trendy to spew "conspiracy theory!" like a parrot.

My post about humanity(you dig it out, slug :P) deals with the ideals we are losing by consenting to being programmed. There are very few benefits to being programmed, I don't need to tell anyone that, but they need to see it when THEIR programming is running.
The number, 666, has been changed. The new number is, 999.

Offline In_Formation

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 10:09:54 PM »
I think Alex warns more about the desensitising and behavior modification effects of immediate gratification games, and the low brainwave states involved. The programming is what takes over when you aren't mindful. I talk to people's programming all the time, not the human being, but their conditioning. Usually I notice they have no idea why they believe what they just said. With videos its different, its like it wants to hardwire around your logic and reasoning centers, circumvent thinking. Repress any cognitive dissonance(ever notice how "its all about Meeeee" the current generaton is?) Much more efficient. We must break their programming by making people think once again, use those cognitive centers. Recognise programming for what it is, propaganda for the masses, not trendy to spew "conspiracy theory!" like a parrot.

My post about humanity(you dig it out, slug :P) deals with the ideals we are losing by consenting to being programmed. There are very few benefits to being programmed, I don't need to tell anyone that, but they need to see it when THEIR programming is running.

The programming is becoming more and more obvious everywhere I go, and there is no doubt that it's coming from the television, and other forms of mainstream media....I see exactly what you are reffering to there in the above post. There is a big problem with trying to break the spell though, and I believe they are "trigger words"... I notice when certain formats of logic are presented to the sheeple without a gradual introduction and careful wording, they tend to react almost violently, and it's consistant, has to be trigger words that activate conditioned responces.... I'm slowly learning ways to ease it in and bypass the programmed responces but it's difficult. Sometimes I'll make a lot of head way in a conversation with a zombie, and accidently slip with a trigger word or phrase and end up right back to square one... Anyone get my drift on this?
Waking up each day in this place is like falling asleep and having the same nightmare over and over again...... Why oh why didnt I take the "blue" pill???

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 11:54:05 AM »
I watch my fair share of tv, not as much as I used to when I was in high school and I play a video game almost daily for 1.5hr; Battlefield 2.

I feel more informed and woken up then I ever had and I still watch tv and play video games, I still and will always believe in freedom and stand up and fight tyranny. Can you watch tv and play games and still be woken up?

You may want to read this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://synworld.t0.or.at/level3/text_archive/hart_text.htm

Sam Hart
Guns, Games, and Glory:
The Birth of Home Video Games

Ralph Baer has been called "the Tom Edison of video games," and for good reason. It was under his supervision that a team of 500 engineers and technicians built the first video game console in 1966. What is not commonly known is how and why this came to be.

There was not a demand for the product. Only a handful of persons in the world had played previous computer games. Those games were usually variations of a game called "Spacewar" and could only be played on $40,000 computer terminals. Thus the question must be asked, who would have funded such a project? The answer is: The Pentagon.

Baer worked for a military electronics consulting firm innocently named Sanders Associates. In the past, Sanders Associates had been employed by the United States military to design weapon circuitry, wire missiles, and generally develop classified military equipment. In 1965 military strategists came to Sanders with a project. They desired computer simulations to help refine their soldier's military prowess by teaching strategy and magnifying reflex skills. They wanted the system to be compact enough to be portable (portable in those days meaning "luggable" or lighter than eighty or so pounds) and to use relatively inexpensive equipment, namely an ordinary television screen. The project was given high security precautions, as most projects were during the height of the Cold War, and Baer was chosen to head it.

After struggling for months on the project by himself, Baer finally succeeded in getting two white dots to chase each other around a black and white screen. This impressed the military representatives enough to warrant a dramatic increase in funding, which lead to the hiring of more assistants. Originally, Baer hired two engineers, Bill Harrison and Bill Rusch, to work full-time on the secretive "TV Game" project. Together, they worked in a ten-by-fifteen foot windowless office affectionately referred to as "the game room." The office was always locked, and the only people with keys were Baer, Harrison, and Rusch.

As time went by, more and more were employed in the project. Within a year the team had a working ball-and-paddle game. Over the next six months this would evolve into a moderately sophisticated hockey game. By the end of 1966, Baer and his team had a working prototype of a video game console ready to show members of a Pentagon review board.

The project leaders beamed with pride as they switched on the device for those present. The television hummed and slowly blocks of light came into focus. The members of the Pentagon review board were not impressed. They felt that insufficient progress had been made on the project, but acknowledged there was enough reason to continue research.

It was at this meeting that Baer first expressed his personal theory that a device such as this could be a very profitable form of entertainment. The review board, however, felt that the military could benefit from such a technology more than a consumer, and decided that the project was to continue under it's "top secret" classification. It would be four years before a non-military company would be approached with a similar system.

Offline White_Zombie

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 08:07:10 PM »
The theory that video games is part of some military plot is just plain stupid... I've been playing shooter games for over 20 years along with many friends and I can tell you for a FACT nobody I know is going to sign up to shoot fellow Americans just because the government wanted us too... Most gamers that play online shooters have higher than average intelligence or they give up the games quickly because if you don't have higher IQ's you'll get your butt handed to you every time...

Offline decepticon

• Bury the past, rob us blind, leave nothing behind.
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
The theory that video games is part of some military plot is just plain stupid... I've been playing shooter games for over 20 years along with many friends and I can tell you for a FACT nobody I know is going to sign up to shoot fellow Americans just because the government wanted us too...

It's to desensitize your brain to the thought of US military being used on citizens.
Ron Paul 2012...because Liberty is too big to fail.
Beat Bailout Barry!!!!!!!!

Offline kerrymti

• The truth will set us free..and..open their eyes.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »

Alex is talking about the mindless drones that begin playing, as you do, an hour here and there...then, it changes, like an addiction, and before you know it they are playing until 4a.m., can't stop...Not everyone goes down that path, like those that smoke pot and have never gone past it to something worse, but some do.  I watched my son go down this path and have only recently gotten him back, and he is awake now!  YAY!

Offline Rtruth

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 05:56:11 AM »
I think most people do. I was addicted to BF2 for about 3.5 years. I made it to First Sargent. Unbelieveable! ha ha. Ya super super addictive game. Insane. No longer play, got boring. But TV too is very addictive. I started watching 1 yr ago online. I found it was good cause I could watch many shows commercial free and back to back. So right now I'm watching "The Walkind Dead" and "Sons of Anarchy" both super super addictive. Again it's insane. But see that's the problem. Why are these games and tv so addictive??? You have to ask yourself. I think it's because it's a form of hypnosis. The other challenge is that with TV, Movies and Games, it's all designed as a way to brainwash and sway public opinion. What I find sad is how many movies come out that instead of being a movie are simply a form of infomercial. Like for example "Battle LA". Infomovie bought and paid for by the USAF huuuuraahhh!!! Better sign up to the biggest cult in America, the USAF!!!! And so many others, it's just so sad. Each movie pushing an adgenda. Another, Contagion with Matt Damon. Basically promoting vacinations, big pharma, fear tactics and a hidden agenda....oh better go get your flu shot....and wow what timing released just at the start of flu season, in the fall. So Sad. Also the main stream news. All total crap and lies. When I watch the news I simply watch the story and then thing "so really the opposite happened". Anything they say is a 100% lie. All designed to sway popular opinion, and push an agenda. But the challenge is its all hard to get away from. Since all this crap surrounds us whereever we go, tv, radio, internet, movies, etc. That's why I think so many people are following AJ. Because for the first time in there lives there hearing what sounds and is truth. Truth is addictive. Also there's one other aspect. Is that I don't think your spirit fully awakens when you're engaging in the various main stream entertainment. I know this because I've seen people who don't watch participate in any of this and they have a peaceful spirit and they really know and are close to God. All the worldliness is turn off to them. They're born again, born of the spirit basically. I think that's where everyone should strive to ultimately end up. Where they're no longer clinging to the things of this world anymore. It's really tough though. But it just involves excersing our freedom rather than knowing but going with the masses. It's "and you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". Not continue down the same road doing the same old things. Again I find it hard to disengage from main stream entertainment as well. But I'm just making light of some of this. Thanks.  :o

Offline shipgeek

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 06:02:15 AM »
I watch my fair share of tv, not as much as I used to when I was in high school and I play a video game almost daily for 1.5hr; Battlefield 2

You should give up all that crap. Throw your TV away.
It's the devil's instrument to brainwash the masses.

Stop wasting your time. Do something constructive.
Get into action! You have only one life!

:o
E MARE LIBERTAS

Offline White_Zombie

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 09:37:31 PM »
It's to desensitize your brain to the thought of US military being used on citizens.

Yeah right... I guess people that played "cops and robbers" when my parents were young were being desensitize too... Give me a break...

Offline decepticon

• Bury the past, rob us blind, leave nothing behind.
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 01:14:07 AM »
Yeah right... I guess people that played "cops and robbers" when my parents were young were being desensitize too... Give me a break...

When they were playing they were not funding a multi-billion dollar machine. Welcome to the brave new world.

No harm meant, I sure have been known to geek out to some video games. Just see them for what they are.
Ron Paul 2012...because Liberty is too big to fail.
Beat Bailout Barry!!!!!!!!

Offline New Whirled Order

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 07:51:07 AM »
It took 30+ years, but I'm pretty damn good at Pong.   :D

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
    • JACKSON HOLLY'S OLD HOME PLACE
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 10:00:11 AM »

;D  I'm 60 something and I can remember when people got
hooked on pinball ... yes, PINBALL! (See THE WHO: Pinball Wizard).
There were sports games, war games, sexy games, space games ... you
name it, just like now ... only lo-tech in comparison. Grown men,
who should have known better, would play on the damn things for
hours, wasting their time and meager earnings that should have gone to
put food on their family ... like gambling addiction. Practicing flipping
those thumbs with finesse, aiming those tiny metal balls, racking up
zillions of points, tilting the table oh so carefully, getting your name to
the top of the tote board, reveling in the fantasy of it all.

Think of this x-million and you have today's so-called 'gaming culture'.

Here's a couple of old-time country pinball songs about
pinball truckers, some of the worst  addicts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSzECxu6ZfQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I7IeapuTwk&feature=related

St. Augustine: “The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it.
Let it loose; it will defend itself."

Offline kerrymti

• The truth will set us free..and..open their eyes.
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
It is not all about the 'shooter' games, the 'first person' shooter games, the addiction of playing all the time, these are bad enough (what could you be doing that is constructive, helping your fellow man...).  Anyway, they numb your mind.  While you are playing (or watching tv) for hours on end, your mind goes into a 'trance state' and you are more suseptible to suggestion...i.e. brainwashing.  Such as, the MSM touting, constantly, that RP does not stand a chance and he has little support.  Their hope is that eventually, you will start believing it and not vote for him because he 'can't win'.  They play this game with many, many different subjects, and it works.  Ask 10 republicans why they would not vote for RP, 9 of the 10 will state something to the effect of "he is an honest, good man, but, why waste my vote, he can't win".

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 02:20:49 PM »

It is all about distraction ... false fronts ... dead ends.

The culture that was born in the 19th century with

flicker machines, etc (like Coney Island) has blossomed

into the monster we see today. In many ways, the

'sports culture' is part of the same malaise. As long as

we, as a culture, are so distracted by the little man behind

the curtain, we will never get off this NWO tilt-a-whirl.

In my last post above I somehow managed to list the

same old-time song twice ... I meant to post this one

... sorry ... (if anybody is reading this!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSzECxu6ZfQ&feature=related

Offline aLLyOuRbAsE

• Free Man
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2011, 01:23:48 PM »
i dont want to take anything away from the very valid point that tv and video games are the modern day bread and circus, but that doesn't mean they are inherently evil.

not saying anyone was saying that either....
Peace and Love.

If I don't, who will?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcx9BJRadfw

The ends do NOT justify the means...

Offline goforward

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
YOUTH VIOLENCE: A REPORT OF THE SURGEON GENERAL
http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/youthviolence/toc.html

MEDIA VIOLENCE: EXPOSURE AND CONTENT
http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/youthviolence/chapter4/appendix4bsec2.html#MajorBehavioralMedia

"Longitudinal Studies

Long-term studies in which exposure to media violence in early childhood is related to later aggression and violence (such as aggravated assault, robbery, rape, and homicide) can identify the enduring effects of media violence. In most such studies to date, however, aggression, not violence, has been the primary outcome measured. In the absence of a meta-analysis, the findings of three frequently cited longitudinal studies on the effects of media violence are discussed briefly below. Studies examining effects over shorter time periods (Singer et al., 1984) or with international samples (Huesmann & Eron, 1986) are not included here.

In a study begun in 1960 on a sample of 875 youths in New York State, Eron and colleagues found that for boys, but not for girls, exposure to media violence at age 8 was significantly related to aggressive behavior a decade later (r = .31, N = 211, p < .01) (Eron et al., 1972; Lefkowitz et al., 1977). At both times, peers assessed physical and verbal aggression. The longitudinal correlation remained above .25, even in separate analyses statistically controlling for factors such as the child’s initial aggressiveness, the child’s intelligence, family SES, parents’ aggressiveness, and parents’ punishment and nurturance of the child.

Milavsky et al. (1982) examined the probability of initiating aggression after exposure to violence on television in 2,400 boys and girls age 7 to 12 from two midwestern cities who had been surveyed up to six times between 1970 and 1973. A sample of 800 teenage boys5 was studied at five times to identify the effect of violent television on aggression and violence. For the elementary school sample, the average cross-sectional correlation between exposure to media violence and personal aggression was small for boys (r = .17) and large for girls (r = .30). The researchers then attempted to predict aggressive behavior at one point in time from the extent to which children viewed television violence at an earlier time, while controlling for earlier aggressive characteristics. They examined this prediction over 15 time intervals ranging from 5 months to 3 years apart. For elementary school boys, only 2 of the 15 predictions at different intervals were statistically significant. For girls, only three predictions were statistically significant. In the teenage male sample, only one of eight correlations was significant. In only one of nine analyses using measures of violence (for example, knife fight, car theft, mugging, gang fight) were boys with greater exposure to television violence more likely to initiate violence 2 years later than those with less exposure.

The third longitudinal study of media violence effects began in the late 1970s and spanned five countries (Huesmann et al., submitted; Huesmann et al., 1984; Huesmann & Eron, 1986). In each locale, samples of middle-class youths were examined three times between age 6 to 8 or age 8 to 11. Both physical and verbal aggression were assessed by peers. The correlations between aggression and overall viewing of television violence at a single point in time were small to moderate and often significant. In the United States, the 3-year average correlation was moderate for boys and for girls (r = .25 and r = .29, respectively; p < .001). The predictive power of viewing television violence for childhood aggression a year later varied substantially. In the United States, girls’ viewing of television violence had a significant effect (b = .17, N = 89, p < .05) on their later aggression, even after accounting for early levels of aggression, SES, and scholastic achievement. For boys, television violence alone did not predict later aggression. When the investigators took into account both exposure to television violence and identification with aggressive television characters, they found a positive relation with aggressiveness (b = .19, N = 84, p < .05).

A follow-up study of over 300 people in the U.S. sample 15 years later suggested that media violence has a delayed effect on aggression (Huesmann et al., submitted). There was a small to moderate longitudinal correlation between childhood television viewing and a composite measure of young adult aggression (physical, verbal, and indirect aggression) for both men (r = .21, N = 153, p < .01) and women (r = .19, N = 176, p < .01). When the outcome was limited to physical aggression, the correlations were smaller (r = .17 and r = .15, respectively). Furthermore, women who had watched relatively more television violence as girls committed significantly more specific acts of violence as adults, such as "punching, beating, or choking another adult," than did the other women (17 percent versus 4 percent). There were no significant differences among the men. Other analyses showed that effects remained significant even when researchers controlled for parent education and children’s scholastic achievement (b = .19 for boys, b = .17 for girls, p < .05). In addition, aggressive behavior did not significantly increase boys’ or girls’ viewing of television violence (b = .08 for boys and b = .04 for girls; p = ns).

In summary, these longitudinal studies show a small, but often statistically significant, long-term relationship between viewing television violence in childhood and later aggression, especially in late adolescence and early adulthood. Some evidence suggests that more aggressive children watch more violence, but the evidence is stronger that watching media violence is a precursor of increased aggression.
Other Studies

Other studies have explored the behavioral impact of introducing television in several countries (Centerwall, 1989a, 1989b, 1992; Joy et al., 1986; Williams, 1986). These studies indicate that when television was introduced, aggression and violence increased. The findings must be viewed with caution, however, because they do not take into account a range of other factors that may influence national crime rates and the amount of violence watched on television.

Despite anecdotal reports of a "contagion of violence," relatively little systematic research has examined whether seeing or hearing about violence in news coverage encourages violent or aggressive behavior. On the whole, the limited data available support the notion of a contagion effect. This evidence is derived from studies examining how reports of a well-known person’s suicide affect the likelihood of imitative suicide (Phillips, 1979, 1982; Simon, 1979; Stack, 1989). Other studies of the contagion effect (Berkowitz & Macaulay, 1971; Phillips, 1983) have been questioned because of their research methods and the ambiguity of their results (Baron & Reiss, 1985; see Phillips & Bollen, 1985 for a response). This area merits additional research.
Violence in Other Media

Internet

Theoretically, the effects of exposure to media violence extend to Internet media as well. To date, however, no studies have been published regarding the effects of Web-based media violence on youth aggression and violence.

Music Videos

A relatively small amount of research has focused on the impact of music videos with violent or antisocial themes (Baxter et al., 1985; Caplan, 1985; Hansen & Hansen, 1990; Johnson et al., 1995a, 1995b; Rich et al., 1998). Randomized experiments indicate that exposure to violent or antisocial rap videos can increase aggressive thinking, but no research has yet tested how such exposure directly affects physical aggression.

Video Games

The impact of video games containing violence has recently become a focus of research because children are theoretically more susceptible to behavioral influences when they are active participants than when they are observers. To date, violent video games have not been studied as extensively as violent television or movies. The number of studies investigating the impact of such games on youth aggression is small, there have been none on serious violence, and none has been longitudinal.

A recent meta-analysis of these studies found that the overall effect size for both randomized and correlational studies was small for physical aggression (r = .19) and moderate for aggressive thinking (r = .27) (Anderson & Bushman, in press). In separate analyses, the effect sizes for both randomized and cross-sectional studies was small (r = .18 and .19, respectively). The impact of video games on violent behavior remains to be determined.
Potential Moderators of Behavioral Effects

Research suggests that not all youths are affected in the same way by viewing media violence. Factors that appear to influence the effects of media violence on aggressive or violent behavior include characteristics of the viewer (such as age, intelligence, aggressiveness, and whether the child perceives the media as realistic and identifies with aggressive characters) and his or her social environment (for example, parental influences), as well as aspects of media content (including characteristics of perpetrators, degree of realism and justification for violence, and depiction of consequences of violence).

Evidence that these factors moderate the influence of media violence is limited, and it is more relevant to aggression than to violence. For example, studies of responses to violent television and films and violent video games have found that people who were initially more aggressive than other subjects were more affected in behavior, thoughts, and emotions (Anderson & Dill, 2000; Bushman, 1995; Bushman & Geen, 1990; Friedrich & Stein, 1973; Josephson, 1987). Research in this area clearly suggests that the impact of violent television, film, and video games on aggression is moderated by viewers’ aggressive characteristics.

Evidence that other individual, environmental, and content factors moderate the effects of exposure to media violence is less clear. Some studies suggest that these factors may buffer or enhance effects, but few have tested for such influences. Although limited in scope and depth, such studies provide clues to potential avenues for prevention efforts. For example, preliminary data point to the potentially vital role of parents in supervising their children’s exposure to violent media and in helping them interpret it (Nathanson, 1999)."

so essentially junk in junk out
Matthew 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Offline Jackson Holly

• It's the TV, stupid!
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »

... another symptom ... this is the hottest new thing?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The Hunger Games" - Satanic Ritual for Teens

December 31, 2011

The indoctrination of our children continues with a sadistic trilogy in which teens are tortured and killed in rituals like those used by the Illuminati to trauma brainwash their own children.

The Illuminati media is the Church of Satan. We are the congregation, unconscious of this relentless, sinister assault on our psyches.     

by Pamela Lanides
(henrymakow.com)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is a trilogy of books which has received glowing reviews in the Illuminati media. They are seen as successor to the Harry Potter series and more popular even than the Twilight series.

As of February 11, 2010, The Hunger Games trilogy has sold 800,000 copies in the US. Hunger Games was followed by Catching Fire, in Sept. 2009 and Mockingjay, in August  2010.

Rights have been sold in 38 territories and there are over 2.9 million copies in print. It was on The New York Times list for over 100 consecutive weeks as of September 2010. The first movie is due out in March.

Some schools have included these books as mandatory reading for their English classes, ignoring the many fragmented and run-on sentences  which the publisher, Scholastic, has ignored.

Mothers have reported their daughters having nightmares after reading the series. The books are more gruesome and grisly than some of the more violent video games that are out there.

The story centers on Katniss Everdeen, 16, whose mother fell into a deep depression upon the death of her father in a coal mining accident. Her family lives in "District 12," one of 13 districts around the Capitol in a post-apocalyptic United States. Most of the District 12 residents live in abject poverty. Katniss must illegally hunt in the woods to feed her mother, younger sister and herself.

More~> http://www.henrymakow.com/hunger_games.html

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »
I don't believe watching TV is a good idea.  Too much mind control and forming of your opinions ~for you~ takes place.  Part of this is the subliminal to continue watching TV!  So, it can be difficult to gain control of one's self and stop.

But, an entire new world opens up.  Being mentally-informed doesn't necessarily mean one is awakened.  It's an excellent start, but what about the rest of it?

Every moment = *my life.*  Why would I want to spend even one second of my life, not being myself.  The subliminal and open brainwashing that takes place through the TV is an assault, attack on the individual.

When I glance at TV (now has been 6 years not watching), no matter what is being aired -- one thing comes through loudly & clearly (even in supposed comedy) in every background music, facial expressions, body language, speaking tone = fear & terror & "something is wrong."

Feelings of fear can certainly bring down a society from that society turning on itself.  We see the results daily.  Anyone out there remember the days whenever you walked into a store, you were met by a person to guide and help you to your hearts content?  Compare that to the atmosphere we live in now...

Love, e

Offline Geolibertarian

• Global Moderator
  • 9/11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB! www.911truth.org
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »
... another symptom ... this is the hottest new thing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The Hunger Games" - Satanic Ritual for Teens

December 31, 2011

"Abolish all taxation save that upon land values." -- Henry George

"If our nation can issue a dollar bond, it can issue a dollar bill." -- Thomas Edison

http://schalkenbach.org
http://www.monetary.org
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=203330.0

Offline Rtruth

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2012, 12:15:43 AM »
It's really hard to get away from in this day and age. I'm watching a lot of tv and movies cuz you can watch anything free online and on your time schedule which makes it very addictive. Then I just thought I'd try out this one new video game. But I haven't loaded it yet. So not sure if I will or not.

But what I find is that people who are not awake, they are so freakin brainwashed by what they see on tv, movies, radio, news etc... and games too. It's just insane isn't it??? I hate to say it but even much of my family, I had a conversation recently with someone. They started talking about Bin Ladin and stuff like that, as if they were reading a talking point. And I just couldn't help but nod and think "wow if they only knew what really is going on". And I explained to them how seal team six got rid of the body (ya right ahh?, there was no body) and then they killed off seal team six in the helicopter crash. When I told my relative that they were flabergasted. Almost as if they didn't want to hear it. As if it was too scary for them to know that their's real truth outside of main stream news propaganda.

As for people are awake, they could watch tv, but still if you don't keep abreast of stuff on alternative media you still tend to take a lot of stuff you see on tv at face value. You just got to be careful that's all I'm saying.

Offline Al Bundy

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
I watch TV but I do not play video games for a long time.  8)

Offline EvadingGrid

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 01:54:44 PM »
Don't own a TV

In England you have to pay for a licence to watch TV, about $200 a year.

We get all our TV from the internet, and watch it in the lounge using a Raspberry Pi $35 computer and some huge sound blaster speakers. It has many advantages, I highly recommend it.

Offline alexjonespodcast.com

• AlexJonesPodcast.com
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »
My tv recently broke, probably a huge time saving blessing in disguise, although i rarely watched it apart from the occasional documentary or movie from the internet.

Video games can be very addictive, I read that it stimulates dopamine release. 
Plus the endless hours wasted on "just one more go" Nowadays they have become so huge and immersive.  Basically a huge time consumer, we are already in a game/huge tv series called "real life" where you can do anything and set your mind to doing anything you want or becoming anything you want, going anywhere you wish, making new friends, being successful etc.
But that reality isn't good enough?
Staring into screens for a large portion of life is a big waste when you really think about it, especially when doing so is based on fictional things.
When someone is on their deathbed  will they really be saying "I wish i watched more tv drama series and played more video games" ??

I can only image a future where people are good worker drones at their job all day and then come home and plug themselves into the artificial virtual reality world,  it's kinda already here now between tv and video games!

I remember a few years ago, the us army made their own first person shooter, not sure if it's still around, but it was used as a recruitment tool. and i also remember seeing footage of real life bombs being dropped while the ones doing it cheered on while blasting music,  like it was only a video game! Desensitization to what's real and what isn't.
AlexJonesPodcast.com The latest Alex Jones Shows with descriptions, updated daily for streaming or download.

Offline pac522

• Peace sells, but who's buying?
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
Video games can be very addictive, I read that it stimulates dopamine release. 

Both of these statements are very true. I had to find a balance between entertainment and addiction. I fell threw a ceiling 10 years ago and crushed the lower 4 disks in my back. When I play games I don't feel pain or the need to take pain meds. I don't know whether this was due to the distraction or do to dopamine creation. The science channel had a program on back in December called, This is your brain on video games. I missed it, I'm going to search for it later and watch it.

I can also say that playing games has also allowed me the opportunity to meet people of different walks of life, from around the world. It's great to get different perspective and also defend the American People and separate us from what our government does. I've friended everyone from Muslims to atheists, from liberal to conservative.

Hearts and minds, people. Take something you perceive as a weapon, you think its a time waster, and turn it against it's intended use, turn it to something more positive.

It's going to take individuals to turn the tide.

While the revolution certainly won't be televised, it isn't going to be centralized either.
This country did not achieve greatness with the mindset of "safety first" but rather "live free or die".

Truth is the currency of love. R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution!

We are all running on Gods laptop.
The problem is the virus called the Illuminati.  ~EvadingGrid

The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Offline EvadingGrid

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 11:28:20 AM »
NVIDIA

Recent updated legacy drivers have broken playing my favourite game.

Linus Torvalds To Nvidia - "f**k You"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g

The trouble is that at present they make the best cards from a gamers perspective - which is the same demographic of a lot of the magazine / blog etc writers - they are blinded to just how bad Nvidia are . . . .

This ain't the first time I've been butt f#cked by Nvidia. Trouble is compounded by architectural policy decisions, which make simply changing the driver a living nightmare ~ most experts are not aware of the heavy scripting involved in installing an nvidia driver, they would be horrified if they knew what happened behind the scenes.