NSA

Author Topic: NSA  (Read 153254 times)

Offline akston

• StatismWatch
Re: WTF? Ubuntu caving in to NSA's SELInux?!
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 03:37:14 AM »
Some background info...

NSA's SELINUX FAQ
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/info/faq.cfm

The security idea it's based around is mandatory access control - type enforcement. Anyone able to explain this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_enforcement

The way this stuff is written, what I get out of it is that is it creates different security levels and users are assigned to one of these 'types' on the fly depending on how the system configuration is set up. Naturally, the NSA doesn't say that they've assigned themselves root access, so someone would have to decompile and read the source to find out for sure if there's anything funny going on. Maybe PP IT could jump in here with a word?

Mandatory Access Control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandatory_access_control

In computer security, mandatory access control (MAC) refers to a type of access control by which the operating system constrains the ability of a subject or initiator to access or generally perform some sort of operation on an object or target. In practice, a subject is usually a process or thread; objects are constructs such as files, directories, TCP/UDP ports, shared memory segments, etc. Subjects and objects each have a set of security attributes. Whenever a subject attempts to access an object, an authorization rule enforced by the operating system kernel examines these security attributes and decides whether the access can take place. Any operation by any subject on any object will be tested against the set of authorization rules (aka policy) to determine if the operation is allowed.

With mandatory access control, this security policy is centrally controlled by a security policy administrator; users do not have the ability to override the policy and, for example, grant access to files that would otherwise be restricted. By contrast, discretionary access control (DAC), which also governs the ability of subjects to access objects, allows users the ability to make policy decisions and/or assign security attributes. (The traditional Unix system of users, groups, and rwx permissions is an example of DAC.) MAC-enabled systems allow policy administrators to implement organization-wide security policies. Unlike with DAC, users cannot override or modify this policy, either accidentally or intentionally. This allows security administrators to define a central policy that is guaranteed (in principle) to be enforced for all users.

Historically and traditionally, MAC has been closely associated with multi-level secure (MLS) systems. The Trusted Computer System Evaluation Criteria[1], the seminal work on the subject which is often referred to as the "Orange Book", defines MAC as "a means of restricting access to objects based on the sensitivity (as represented by a label) of the information contained in the objects and the formal authorization (i.e., clearance) of subjects to access information of such sensitivity". Early implementations of MAC such as HPUX BLS, Harris CS/SX, and SGI Trusted IRIX were all focused on MLS.

More recently, with the advent of implementations such as SELinux (incorporated into Linux kernels after 2.6), MAC has started to become more mainstream and is evolving out of the MLS niche. These more recent MAC implementations have recognized that the narrow Orange Book definition, focused as it was on MLS, is not sufficient for general use.[2] These implementations provide more depth and flexibility than earlier MLS-focused implementations,[3] allowing (for example) administrators to focus on issues such as network attacks and malware without the rigor or constraints of MLS systems.

stat·ism /ˈsteɪtɪzəm/
1. the principle or policy of concentrating extensive economic, political, and related controls in the state at the cost of individual liberty.

statismwatch.ca - a media compilation and forum exposing statism and its roots from a Canadian perspective

Offline CaptBebops

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 12:54:12 PM »
Looking around I find the most discussion of SELinux on the RedHat and Fedora forums.  I even read a reply from an NSA programmer that disabling it should not be a problem.  I also am noting a reference to a "mock" SELinux library too so I need to see what that does.  I get the impression though that the intention of this library was to make Linux secure enough so that the government could use Linux boxes over Windows systems at obviously a considerable saving.  Since the original intent was not to probe citizens systems and that it my be an issue for other countries who want to use Linux they provided the means of disabling it.

Running Linux Mint 4.0 KDE as a Live CD and the software manager doesn't indicate any SELinux.

Offline Femacamper

• PUTIN HACKED MY MIND!
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »
Then there's trustedbsd and sebsd...

geez...is any OS safe anymore?

Offline dogmadestroyer

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 10:30:59 PM »
Then there's trustedbsd and sebsd...

geez...is any OS safe anymore?

Honestly, I understand the principle but you post on this site... Why the hell should you care about all of this when you post on this site? I've stopped caring a long time ago and I'm convinced the NWO is losing control and that is why it seems so desperate and power hungry now. f**k them, I'll run Ubuntu or Mac without worry.
“The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the political behavior of Western Civilization.”

-Robert Anton Wilson

FearMonger 888: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWRu80jgKzk

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 11:43:39 PM »
Honestly, I understand the principle but you post on this site... Why the hell should you care about all of this when you post on this site? I've stopped caring a long time ago and I'm convinced the NWO is losing control and that is why it seems so desperate and power hungry now. f**k them, I'll run Ubuntu or Mac without worry.

Well there is one advantage Ubuntu has. It's not owned or controlled by a eugenics front (Microsoft). I believe Microsoft still owns a sizable stake in Apple's stock.

Offline zdux0012

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 04:25:32 PM »
SELinux is open source, and has been for a long time.
Until now no one has found a back door, and not from a lack of looking.

That being said the only times I've used it is from a copy that I compiled myself and then only at work.
You can disable it.

But I must admit that my next OS upgrade will be to debian. It is the most open.
Get off of Windows / Mac!! You are not safe.
Get an OS you can trust. Linux, Free BSD. Ask for help!

Offline dogmadestroyer

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 04:32:23 PM »
But I must admit that my next OS upgrade will be to debian. It is the most open.

I agree.. and the easiest to install software on.
“The Bible tells us to be like God, and then on page after page it describes God as a mass murderer. This may be the single most important key to the political behavior of Western Civilization.”

-Robert Anton Wilson

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »
Due to Linux's decentralized nature I think that would be hard to pull off.

Unfortunately we may already be witnessing the centralization and consolidation of Linux companies as we speak.

CentOS was bought out by Mandriva a while back.

Linspire was bought out by Xandros. Xandros (headed by Andreas "Andy" Typaldos, who along with his wife Renee was allegedly involved in some serious criminal activity in the 1970s) is moving its focus to OEM sales, as evident with their partnership with Asus with the EeePC. (Most EeePCs come with a customized version of Xandros, while others come with Windows XP.) And Xandros sold out to Microsoft last year when they signed that phony "patent agreement".

I figure it won't be long until only Redhat and Mandriva and Ubuntu and Xandros remain. If Windows continues its downward trend, I think Microsoft might ditch Windows altogether and buy Xandros and adopt Xandros as its flagship product. Then they might use their potential ownership of Xandros as "proof" that they "own" Linux and force Redhat and Mandriva and Ubuntu to bow out or merge with MS.

The question is: Would MS get Stallman and Torvalds to go along, or would MS use the NWO-influenced judicial system to bully Stallman and Torvalds into complying under threat of arrest and imprisonment?

Offline CaptBebops

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 03:22:04 PM »
I just got an Eee PC a week ago and have been using Xandros.   It's the  2G Surf and might have been happier to have spent the extra $50 on the 4G Surf for extra built-in memory.  Spending more kinda defeats the purpose of buying one of these as I already have two laptops but wanted one that boots up fast, small and if the fascists at the airport take it from you is not a big loss.  Xandros is based on Debian or supposedly Ubuntu 7.10.  The basic version has some software for kids I would rather nuke but there really pretty much a full distro there though not in the menus.   You can nuke Xandros if you want and use something else as there are instructions and versions of distros customized for the Eee PC with links at www.eeeuser.com .  I use a 4GB SDHC card with it and also added Mencoder to re-encode my Aiptek A-HD+ 1080p videos to Xvid files that will play full screen on the Eee PC.  One of the strange things about it is it came with instructions on how to install Windows XP on it from SP2 or SP3 (no mention of a licenses or anything) and software to do so is on the second CD which strangely had a Spanish label on it though the notes and stuff on the disk was in English.

A lot of the major electronics stores don't carry them in store but online only.  This may be because other manufacturers particularly Sony don't like the Eee PC and see it as a threat and may have told stores if they stock it they'll pull their line.  However if you're interested and want to try one check around at your local mom and pop computer shops as some of them carry it.

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »
I just got an Eee PC a week ago and have been using Xandros.   It's the  2G Surf and might have been happier to have spent the extra $50 on the 4G Surf for extra built-in memory.  Spending more kinda defeats the purpose of buying one of these as I already have two laptops but wanted one that boots up fast, small and if the fascists at the airport take it from you is not a big loss.  Xandros is based on Debian or supposedly Ubuntu 7.10.  The basic version has some software for kids I would rather nuke but there really pretty much a full distro there though not in the menus.   You can nuke Xandros if you want and use something else as there are instructions and versions of distros customized for the Eee PC with links at www.eeeuser.com .  I use a 4GB SDHC card with it and also added Mencoder to re-encode my Aiptek A-HD+ 1080p videos to Xvid files that will play full screen on the Eee PC.  One of the strange things about it is it came with instructions on how to install Windows XP on it from SP2 or SP3 (no mention of a licenses or anything) and software to do so is on the second CD which strangely had a Spanish label on it though the notes and stuff on the disk was in English.

A lot of the major electronics stores don't carry them in store but online only.  This may be because other manufacturers particularly Sony don't like the Eee PC and see it as a threat and may have told stores if they stock it they'll pull their line.  However if you're interested and want to try one check around at your local mom and pop computer shops as some of them carry it.

I might look into buying one of the newer EeePC models - probably the 1000H that comes with an 80 GB hard drive and a slightly larger screen size - and install EeeXubuntu on there. EeeXubuntu is basically Xubuntu 7.10 with the EeePC drivers built in. And there's also Linpus Lite whose default 'basic" interface looks just like the Xandros EeePC "easy mode", and the Linpus Lite advanced mode uses Xfce4 (while Xandros EeePC uses KDE 3.4). But Linpus Lite is only a "live CD". And then there's also Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Offline zdux0012

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2008, 03:10:24 PM »

Spend $20 and up grade the ram

Offline CaptBebops

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2008, 04:02:15 PM »
The RAM is soldered on the 2G ( and probably the 4G).   I just run with a 4 GB SDHC card for extra memory.  I've been playing with other distros including eeebuntu as live distros on a USB drive. 
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/debian:eeeos:home  (scroll down to the section on other OS's).

I downloaded LinpusLite (they have a very slow server) and it failed to boot and there is little support on their site.  Linux Mint 4.0 Darya booted fine and looked good on the Eee PC but need to add the wifi drivers and there is a post on www.eeeuser.com on how to do the mods for the Eee PC.  One can also put a distro on an SD card persistent and run from it.  Ubuntu looked good but I'm having a lot of problems with it on this PC with Hardy.  Firefox blows up still even with some of the fixes I've done.  Occasionally Thunderbird crashes too.  They're taking some flack for including some stuff that wasn't really ready for "prime time."

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2008, 12:12:02 AM »

Offline Femacamper

• PUTIN HACKED MY MIND!
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2008, 08:33:10 AM »
I'm kind of discouraged with the current state of affairs...which version of linux is user-friendly and hasn't been tainted with SELinux or similar trojanware?

Offline Overcast

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2008, 09:45:09 AM »
^^ Exactly, that's why I don't mind using a mac half of the time. Linux will not protect you.

Only one thing will *truly* protect your PC. Pull the Network cable out of it.
And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Offline Overcast

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »
is there still time to get the non-tampered with version?

this is horrible timing for me because i am about to build a computer for the first time and wanted it to have Ubuntu

Check Torrent... :)

I'm glad I have an old version. But then sometimes I think I should just load Dos 6.22 and they won't be able to get to a thing on my PC!! lol
And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!

Offline dogmadestroyer

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »
Only one thing will *truly* protect your PC. Pull the Network cable out of it.

I always do.

-Robert Anton Wilson

Offline oshea.declan

• Infowars Ireland
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »
I'm kind of discouraged with the current state of affairs...which version of linux is user-friendly and hasn't been tainted with SELinux or similar trojanware?
I tried about 40 different types of Linux since 2005 - Recently went back to Windows and started using a special cut-down version of XP named Micro-XP - The whole Operating System ISO is only about 90 MB's - The less that's in there the less to exploit - put on a good firewall and you're set - I highly recommend this guy's tweaked Operating Systems - eXPerience -

http://thepiratebay.org/user/eXPer1ence/

Also on his Forum you will get A LOT of Information about computing, security .. etc ....
eXPerience even found where the Microsoft developers used "cracks" for sound forge (i.e: They used PIRATE version and didn't pay Sony for it !! ...MICROSOFT PIRATES !!! )when they put together the Windows welcome tour - he has ripped apart every part of the XP operating system and studied it - This is the man to ask about computer security - Forum here:

http://forum.retestrak.nl/index.php

Most Linux Distros that I used to use are now just too bloated - when you install them they just go onto the internet themselves doing all sorts of things -  I still recommend Arch Linux though http://www.archlinux.org/

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2008, 12:32:03 PM »
I tried about 40 different types of Linux since 2005 - Recently went back to Windows and started using a special cut-down version of XP named Micro-XP - The whole Operating System ISO is only about 90 MB's - The less that's in there the less to exploit - put on a good firewall and you're set - I highly recommend this guy's tweaked Operating Systems - eXPerience -

http://thepiratebay.org/user/eXPer1ence/

Also on his Forum you will get A LOT of Information about computing, security .. etc ....
eXPerience even found where the Microsoft developers used "cracks" for sound forge (i.e: They used PIRATE version and didn't pay Sony for it !! ...MICROSOFT PIRATES !!! )when they put together the Windows welcome tour - he has ripped apart every part of the XP operating system and studied it - This is the man to ask about computer security - Forum here:

http://forum.retestrak.nl/index.php

Most Linux Distros that I used to use are now just too bloated - when you install them they just go onto the internet themselves doing all sorts of things -  I still recommend Arch Linux though http://www.archlinux.org/

I actually have eXPer1ence's Tiny XP Rev 06. My WinDVR 3 PVR app (by Intervideo, which is now owned by Corel which has since discontinued the product and removed all download links) runs excellent on there with my tuner card. Whenever I install Tiny XP Rev 06, I choose "Install with drivers without IE/OE/WMP". This option installs Firefox 2.0.0.1 by default. Unfortunately, Thunderbird isn't included, so you may want to download and install that. And if you choose the "install with drivers" option and have an nVidia card, it will install the nVidia drivers. ;D

I agree with your comment that Linux is becoming bloated, which is why I'm sticking with Xubuntu 7.10 and Xubuntu 8.04.1. I think Xfce 4 is the lightest and most efficient of the "big three" Linux desktop environments (the "big three" are GNOME, KDE, and Xfce). Now there's a relatively new window manager called LXDE. The upcoming version of gOS (gOS is too wedded to Google) claims to use a lightweight GNOME because it uses GNOME + LXDE. Perhaps Canonical needs to make a light version of Ubuntu using GNOME + LXDE. I'll test gOS Gadgets in Virtualbox to see if their "lightweight" claim is true.

Offline CaptBebops

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »
I'm still having problems with Ubuntu Hardy and anything that uses Flash like (like Infowars) as Firefox and Flash still don't seem to get along at least under Hardy.   Ubuntu doesn't install Flash by default so you have to go get the install from Adobe.   Much of the problems seem to be some changes that the Gnome group thrust on Ubuntu and probably the under tested PusleAudio.  Ubuntu is planning to go with the OpenFlash thing.

Firefox is going to include Theora Ogg support for streaming video since Theora is finally released.   I would suspect a number of sites might switch to or at least off Theora since it is free and open source.  In fact I suspect that we'll see Theora camcorders and other electronics with Theora support as MPEG-4 supports cost $$$.

I've been downloading and trying a bunch of different small distros using a USB stick on my Eee PC.

Offline zdux0012

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2008, 01:12:41 PM »
I don't think we need to worry about selinux too much -right now. The code is available and to date no back door was ever found.

I believe that a future update could compromise the system and that is the plan of the NSA.

However if you want a safe alternative Debian is the most open source distro out there.

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »
I'm still having problems with Ubuntu Hardy and anything that uses Flash like (like Infowars) as Firefox and Flash still don't seem to get along at least under Hardy.   Ubuntu doesn't install Flash by default so you have to go get the install from Adobe.   Much of the problems seem to be some changes that the Gnome group thrust on Ubuntu and probably the under tested PusleAudio.  Ubuntu is planning to go with the OpenFlash thing.

Firefox is going to include Theora Ogg support for streaming video since Theora is finally released.   I would suspect a number of sites might switch to or at least off Theora since it is free and open source.  In fact I suspect that we'll see Theora camcorders and other electronics with Theora support as MPEG-4 supports cost $$$.

I've been downloading and trying a bunch of different small distros using a USB stick on my Eee PC.

There's also an open-source alternative to Adobe Flash Player called Gnash. Gnash works in Firefox, and I think it also works in Konqueror. Have you tried Gnash in Firefox?

By the way, I've tried the new gOS Gadgets in Virtualbox just to see how "lightweight" GNOME + LXDE really is. Verdict? It's pretty lightweight. A lot more lightweight than GNOME doing everything itself. Maybe GNOME + LXDE is the future of "lightweight but beautiful" distros. I wonder how XFCE + LXDE would work together.

Would I install gOS Gadgets? No, because like I said gOS is too wedded to Google.

Offline aliveinchrist

• Preserved Word
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2008, 02:17:02 PM »
I'm not understanding what is so bad with selinux and mandatory access control.

I'm running ubuntu hardy, but don't have selinux installed (i just checked.)
http://www.PreservedWord.com

...the truth shall make you free.
John 8:32

While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when they loose their virtue they will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or INTERNAL invader...
- Samuel Adams

Offline CaptBebops

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2008, 03:08:07 PM »
There's also an open-source alternative to Adobe Flash Player called Gnash. Gnash works in Firefox, and I think it also works in Konqueror. Have you tried Gnash in Firefox?

By the way, I've tried the new gOS Gadgets in Virtualbox just to see how "lightweight" GNOME + LXDE really is. Verdict? It's pretty lightweight. A lot more lightweight than GNOME doing everything itself. Maybe GNOME + LXDE is the future of "lightweight but beautiful" distros. I wonder how XFCE + LXDE would work together.

Would I install gOS Gadgets? No, because like I said gOS is too wedded to Google.
Gnash is what Ubuntu plans to implement.  IOW, it isn't there yet.   I could install it from the universe but would probably run into the same compatibility problems I run into with MPlayer etc.  That's why I have considered using Mint Linux instead which comes with the multimedia support.  Also some flash sites now use MP4 flash video and Gnash probably won't work (legally) with MP4.  MPEG-LA is the spoiler.  I heard Scott McNealy, President of Sun MicroSystems on a local talk show (KGO) say that the open source concept needs to be extended to more than just software.

These corporate wars are a spoiler for the public.  I call the DMCA a "Mickey Mouse law" because it was Disney lobbied for it through Sonny Bono because Mickey's copyright was about to run out.

We have such a tangled mess right now that the only thing left to do is erase the blackboard and start all over again.  IOW, total revolution.

Offline 70983

• http://www.conspiracyshirts.com/
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
What was the last version of ubuntu that did not use the 2.6 kernel or higher?

that is the one i will download
Ray McBerry for Governor of Georgia in 2010!  Reclaim the sovereignty of the States!

http://www.georgiafirst.org

Youtube Channel:  http://www.youtube.com/user/RayMcBerry

He has many informative videos advocating his candidacy.

Offline Sue

• Read My Siginiture Line, Time is Short....
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »
Looks like starting with the recently-released Hardy Heron releases of Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based OSes, SELinux is now an optional install from Ubuntu's apt-based repositories.

I knew it. Once Ubuntu became popular and mainstream, the NSA would get their hands on it. I will be severely disappointed in Ubuntu if their next release - 8.10, code-named Intrepid Ibex - has SELinux built into the OS and makes it impossible to uninstall without borking the system. If that's the case, I'll just stick with Ubuntu 7.10.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SELinux

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardySELinux

Optional is one thing.....
Do keep in mind SELinux is a kernel verient Given that one can always ether compile their own kernel or find someone who has a complied kernel that doesn't include the SE...

Pray For America

Take Care
S. A. Robins

When it's Time
It's Time, and it may be sooner then you think.

Offline knightrd

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2008, 03:39:42 PM »
These worries about SELinux are overblown. Frankly, if the NSA wants in your computer, they will get in either through remote access or physical access. Or for that matter, DHS. Encrypt anything important and protect your private key like Fort Knox. When deleting files, use a secure erase tool to do a DoD level wipe of information. For security purposes one of the BSD variants is the best way to go. The hardware support and ease of use is the problem for most people.

Offline 70983

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2008, 03:56:51 PM »
can someone please answer my question?

which version of ubuntu uses the 2.5 kernel
Ray McBerry for Governor of Georgia in 2010!  Reclaim the sovereignty of the States!

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2008, 04:35:27 PM »
What was the last version of ubuntu that did not use the 2.6 kernel or higher?

that is the one i will download

Ubuntu has always used the 2.6 kernel. Ubuntu 4.10 - the first release - used the 2.6.8 kernel.

Anyway, I think we're safe for now.....until the day Canonical decided to include some NSA backdoors and biometric login capabilities in future security updates. The older releases of Ubuntu up to 7.04 - and maybe 7.10 - are probably safe from such updates, considering how Ubuntu 7.04 won't receive any new updates after October 2008 and Ubuntu 7.10 won't receive any new updates after April 2009. (Keep in mind that "non-LTS" versions of Ubuntu receive updates for 18 months, while LTS versions of Ubuntu receive updates for 36 months. Ubuntu 6.06 won't receive new updates after June 2009, and the current release - Ubuntu 8.04 - won't receive any new updates after April 2011. If any version of Ubuntu faces the chance of having NSA backdoors or any other Big Brother technology installed by Canonical, it's Ubuntu 8.04.)

Offline 70983

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
but what about the libselinux you said you found

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2008, 04:39:26 PM »
Gnash is what Ubuntu plans to implement.  IOW, it isn't there yet.   I could install it from the universe but would probably run into the same compatibility problems I run into with MPlayer etc.  That's why I have considered using Mint Linux instead which comes with the multimedia support.  Also some flash sites now use MP4 flash video and Gnash probably won't work (legally) with MP4.  MPEG-LA is the spoiler.  I heard Scott McNealy, President of Sun MicroSystems on a local talk show (KGO) say that the open source concept needs to be extended to more than just software.

i had problems with Adobe Flash in Linux Mint 5 XFCE Community Edition RC1 to the point where I went back to Xubuntu. I have had no problems with Flash on Xubuntu except in Firefox 3.0. I currently have Firefox 3.0.1 installed on Xubuntu Gutsy using the Ubuntuzilla to install Firefox straight from the official Firefox builds from mozilla.com.

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2008, 04:47:56 PM »
but what about the libselinux you said you found

I think libselinux is actually just support libraries for SELinux. It's not SELinux itself. SELinux has to be turned on at the superuser (root) level by executing the terminal command sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add selinux=1 enforcing=0 to the end of the kernel line.

In addition, you have to install selinux-default-policy in Hardy (selinux-basics in Gutsy) either in aptitude or Synaptic.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SELinux

It's also a good thing to install a firewall such as Firestarter.

Offline 70983

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2008, 04:50:04 PM »
so you're saying ubuntu 7.10 is safe?

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2008, 05:00:57 PM »
so you're saying ubuntu 7.10 is safe?

As far as I can tell, yes it's safe...unless Canonical includes some nefarious updates between now and April 2009. If Canonical doesn't do that, then I'll probably release Xubuntu Xtreme 7.10 Final Edition right after Ubuntu 7.10's support cycle ends then.

And so far, Ubuntu 8.04 is safe as well, but April 2011 is quite a while away, so anything can happen between now and then.

Offline 70983

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
cant you just shut the updates off

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2008, 05:30:06 PM »
cant you just shut the updates off

I think you can do that in Synaptic. Just open Synaptic, click on Settings, click on Repositories, click on the Updates tab in the new window, then un-check the boxes beside "Check for updates", "Important security updates (gutsy-security)", and "Recommended updates (gutsy-updates)". Then click on the Reload button to reload your repository sources. That should do it.

Offline netizen_x

• When Spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion
    • The Wild East
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2008, 10:17:24 PM »
Linspire was bought out by Xandros. Xandros (headed by Andreas "Andy" Typaldos, who along with his wife Renee was allegedly involved in some serious criminal activity in the 1970s) is moving its focus to OEM sales, as evident with their partnership with Asus with the EeePC. (Most EeePCs come with a customized version of Xandros, while others come with Windows XP.) And Xandros sold out to Microsoft last year when they signed that phony "patent agreement".

I just got an eeepc running xp for my girlfriend and one running this xandros operating system for me.

I'll never go back to microsoft eugenics OS. Bill Gates GET F*(k)'d.

xandros is great for a first time linux user.
"Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, then honest people must do the same" ~ Leo Tolstoy

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2008, 12:14:04 AM »
I just got an eeepc running xp for my girlfriend and one running this xandros operating system for me.

I'll never go back to microsoft eugenics OS. Bill Gates GET F*(k)'d.

xandros is great for a first time linux user.

I do agree that Xandros is great for first-time Linux users. Heck, when I started in Linux, I started with Linspire for like three months then switched to Xandros and used it from like December 2004 to June 2006 when I switched to Ubuntu. I do like the look of the Xandros easy mode on the EeePC. But I also like the fact that you can also use KDE in advanced mode.

BTW I noticed on the Freespire forums that Xandros will continue development of Freespire which will serve as the basis of future versions of Xandros. From what I understand, Xandros will eliminate Xandros Home and Xandros Home Premium from its lineup and concentrate solely on Xandros Desktop Professional in the commercial OS sales (of course they want to continue their OEM distribution of Xandros through the EeePC and EeeBox). Needless to say, since Xandros already has a commercial OS under their name, there's no need for a Linspire-branded commercial OS, so Linspire is dead.

Offline netizen_x

• When Spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion
    • The Wild East
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2008, 12:22:07 AM »
I do like the look of the Xandros easy mode on the EeePC. But I also like the fact that you can also use KDE in advanced mode.

The first thing i did was get it into advanced mode. Asus doesn't want users to know how to do this.

I'm such a noob I spent days looking for an ftp program then found I can just ftp from the file manager.

"Since corrupt people unite amongst themselves to constitute a force, then honest people must do the same" ~ Leo Tolstoy

Offline Femacamper

• PUTIN HACKED MY MIND!
    • TRUNEWS
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2008, 01:30:49 AM »
So basically, SE Linux has no known backdoors yet. How about Debian, does that have SELinux libraries installed by default?