Memorial Day is a Sad Milestone . . . and a Crossroads

Author Topic: Memorial Day is a Sad Milestone . . . and a Crossroads  (Read 24151 times)

Offline DCUBED

• Sieg Heil!
Memorial Day is a Sad Milestone . . . and a Crossroads
« on: May 23, 2008, 01:14:59 PM »
http://www.examiner.com/a-1400834~Veterans_peace_group_blocked_from_parade.html
Veterans peace group blocked from parade

WASHINGTON (Map, News) - A veterans group that opposes the war in Iraq has been blocked from marching in a Memorial Day parade in Washington after being told its plans, which once included a casket representing war dead, would be too political for the event.

Veterans for Peace was initially granted a spot in the May 26 parade that is scheduled to travel down Constitution Avenue, past landmarks that include the Washington Monument and the White House.

But the American Veterans Center, a nonprofit that organizes the parade, has pulled that approval, saying it does not allow the expression of political viewpoints.

Anthony Teolis, treasurer of the Washington-area chapter of Veterans for Peace, said that as veterans, the group should be able to take part in the parade. He said it was being singled out because of its anti-war views.
EXAMINER.COM RELATED ARTICLES
Generals criticize Iran but see better relations
New Foreign Affairs chair shirks spotlight
Bush lectures Arab world on political reform, women's rights
Obama criticizes McCain for 'naive' foreign policy
A timeline of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy's life

"We are a veterans groups like any other except we have the word peace in our name," Teolis said.

Jim Roberts, president of the Arlington, Va.-based American Veterans Center, said the group strives to keep political statements out of the parade. Last year, two groups that supported the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were turned down. The Veterans for Peace program was initially approved by a contractor handling parade planning, but it was revoked when the center saw its plans for the march.

"We don't allow groups in the parade that are projecting an opinion. That goes for pro-mission as well as anti-war," Roberts said.

The parade, now in its fifth year, includes marchers that span the military history of America, from Revolutionary War re-enactors to active duty military units. Other groups scheduled for this year include 20 high school bands, a military high school, and actor Gary Sinise. Last year roughly 250,000 people attended.

The Washington-area chapter of Veterans for Peace submitted an application outlining plans to include a "miniature hand drawn funeral casket with U.S. flag symbolizing fallen troops," according to a copy of their proposal. A convertible carrying three World War II veterans was also planned.

Teolis said the group dropped the casket plan when the producers of the parade objected. But he said the Veterans Center still barred them from the parade.

Made up of military veterans dating back to before World War II, Veterans for Peace opposes the use of war to meet national objectives and wants American troops in Iraq to be brought home. It has roughly 7,500 members in 122 chapters nationwide.

It has sought to march in other parades honoring veterans with mixed results. Michael McPhearson, national executive director of Veterans for Peace, said the group took part in Veterans Day parades in New York, and marched in other events nationwide. But it was also blocked from taking part in events in cities such as Boston.

McPhearson said the group does not dishonor veterans. The parades, which highlight wars waged for political ends, are also inherently political, he said.

"It is ridiculous to say we have this political objective when the whole thing is about politics," McPhearson said.
“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”  - Arthur Conan Doyle

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." J. Edgar Hoover

Offline ELIJAH STAPP

MEMORIAL DAY IS A SAD MILESTONE . . . AND A CROSSROADS
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080522-1709-bn22weather4.html

Memorial Day beginning to look a lot like Christmas (weather)

Winter weather made a comeback to San Diego County Thursday, sprinkling snow on Mount Laguna, unleashing heavy rain near the San Diego Wild Animal Park and causing minor mudslides in the San Pasqual area.
About 3:20 p.m., the California Highway Patrol issued a travel advisory for drivers to watch out for storm conditions in the East County mountains to the Imperial County line.

Authorities reported six accidents on Interstate 8 near Pine Valley that occurred in heavy rain and some snow early Thursday evening. At least eight people were taken to hospitals with varying injuries, said Capt. Nick Schuler with Cal Fire.
Earlier Thursday in the East County, the CHP reported water due to flash flooding at Black Canyon Road at Sutherland Dam Road near Lake Sutherland in the Cleveland National Forest, and on Julian Road west of state Route 79 west of Dudley's Bakery.

North of Ramona, rain washed out a portion of Pamo Road, said Bill Pollack, a spokesman for county's Department of Public Works. That road leads to Pamo Valley, where several people were stranded but not in immediate danger, he said.

In October, the Witch fire burned through the Pamo Road area, destroying a wooden bridge where rain has filled a 6-foot hole with water, Pollack said. The county won't be able to assess the damage until Friday.

Bill Trok drove up South Grade Road to Palomar Mountain for a midday hike Thursday and found wintry conditions.

“I headed up there about 11:30 and went through a lot of hail and sleet and rain getting up the mountain,” said Trok, a Valley Center minister.

He pressed on and found the summit only slightly balmier.

“It was a lot of thunder and a lot of lightning,” he said, “and a lot of runoff.”

He said he hiked around Doane Valley and the sun tried to break through the clouds occasionally, but rain and sleet prevailed. He said the temperature was about 36 degrees, so most of the icy precipitation melted when it hit the ground.

“It was beautiful,” he said. “We don't get that often in Southern California.”

Don't expect sunny weather for Memorial Day weekend pool parties, beach outings or park picnics.

Meteorologist Stefanie Sullivan said the gloomy weather will continue through Monday. Scattered showers and possible thunderstorms or hail are predicted through the weekend, with highs in the mid to upper 60s.

Offline uwaf

Re: Memorial Day beginning to look a lot like Christmas (weather)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »
Over here in New England, supposed to have a nice sunny 3 days. Can't remember last time that happened.

setmefree

Re: Memorial Day beginning to look a lot like Christmas (weather)
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »
They'll put the kabosh on those sunny days with some chemtrailin.

Offline bigron

• RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 07:36:32 AM »
LET'S REMEMBER TO NOT START ANOTHER WAR

AS THE FLAGS are readied and the ceremonies rehearsed, no one is talking much anymore about how our soldiers have died in a "noble cause" in Iraq.
As the sixth Memorial Day of the Iraq War approaches, at least 4,070 American men and women have lost their lives in the fighting. Hundreds more have been killed in accidents, illnesses - and, yes, suicides.

All were poorly served by the nation to which they gave the last full measure of devotion: They were sent into battle under false pretenses, without proper planning or equipment, their sacrifice treated as a low-risk business opportunity for war profiteers, their flag-draped coffins hidden from public view.

So, as we approach this sad milestone, it is insane that the same people who were so disastrously wrong before miring us in Iraq are again beating the drums for an another unnecessary military action, this time against Iran.

They're even using the same tactics - inflating Iran's danger to the United States, comparing its leaders to Hitler, and referring vaguely to "evidence" of Iranian complicity in attacks on U.S. soldiers in Iraq. Something else has a too-familiar ring: often-uncritical news-media coverage and attacks on the patriotism of those who would try to avoid more unnecessary deaths.

In one of the most embarrassingly ignorant displays ever by a U.S. president, George W. Bush last week used an address to the Israeli Knesset to equate negotiating with one's enemies with appeasing Adolf Hitler. Bush was implying that Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was a dead-ringer for the Nazi madman, but remember when that distinction was bestowed on Saddam Hussein?

Bush's target, of course, was Sen. Barack Obama, who has said he would meet with leaders of Iran with preparation but without pre-conditions. This is a wise policy. You can't make peace with your friends, only with your enemies, and you can't do that without talking with them. This truth was most recently demonstrated by, of all appeasers, the Israeli government, which yesterday announced secret talks with longtime enemy Syria, state sponsor of terrorism and all-star of the "axis of evil."

Following Bush's speech, Republican presidential candidate John McCain didn't miss a beat, suggesting that Iran is a threat akin to that posed by the Soviet Union. A National Intelligence Estimate last fall said that Iran has no nuclear button to push, while the Soviet Union not only had nukes but the missiles to deliver them.

This followed by a few weeks Democratic contender Hillary Clinton's threat to push the red button and "obliterate Iran" if provoked. And Sen. Joseph Lieberman, the so-called Independent Democrat and McCain BFF, said air strikes against Iran are a "distinct possibility," even though there is no concrete evidence that Iran poses a significant threat. Of course, if we "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran," as McCain tastelessly joked, that would change, just as it did in Iraq.

FOR THOUSANDS of Americans, Memorial Day will be a personal, intimate day of grief for loved ones who died in Iraq for a cause that was not deserving of them.

There is no more appropriate time for the rest of us to consider why so many didn't know then what they know now about Iraq. There is no more appropriate time to vow that, from now on, the United States will heed the words of President John F. Kennedy to "never negotiate out of fear but never fear to negotiate."

That is the best way to honor our war dead. *

Find this article at:
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opinion/20080523_LET_S_REMEMBER_TO_NOT_START_ANOTHER_WAR.html?adString=pdn.opinion/opinion;!category=opinion;&randomOrd=052608042159 

Offline bigron

• RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT 2012
Why Memorial Day is a double-whammy for me ! By Cindy Sheehan
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 07:44:06 AM »
Why Memorial Day is a double-whammy for me  !

28/05/2008 09:02:00 AM GMT
http://aljazeera.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=123752

On this Memorial Day, remember, to look at the pictures of Iraqi children being lifted out of rubble.

By Cindy Sheehan

Memorial Day is a double-whammy for me.

You see, my son Casey was born on Memorial Day 29 years ago.

When he was growing up, we would gather dozens of our friends and relatives to celebrate his birthday.

Now a few of us gather at his grave in Vacaville, California, to mourn his death and cry for his life that was stolen from him by George W. Bush.

Casey is not buried in a military cemetery, but there are many veterans of other wars buried in his cemetery.

The flags flutter on Memorial Day as living vets from many past wars salute the flags and their fallen comrades.

Seeing all the flags and the battered vets paying homage makes my stomach turn and my heart break for all the broken families that have had to pay needlessly high prices for this war, and other imperial wars, like Vietnam.

In Vacaville, there are many mothers whose sons were killed in Vietnam. I remember seeing them the first Memorial Day after Casey was killed. I sat with them at a ceremony and saw my future in their faces lined from years of grief and longing for the voice or the touch of a son that will never come.

On this Memorial Day, I would like you to take a few moments from your day off and stare into the faces of grief.

Go to a nearby military cemetery and look at the American flags stuck on each grave and think of the person buried there who was killed for the greed of empire or for the blunders, greed and hubris of a nation.

And remember, for every person buried there, at least ten more loved that person and were shattered by the loss. Instead of saluting, softly say: "I'm sorry."

On this Memorial Day, remember, too, to look at the pictures of Iraqi children being lifted out of rubble after their homes have been bombed by U.S. jets.

Please say, "I'm sorry," for them, also.

And let us not be fooled.

With a presidential election season upon us, we need to recognize the militarism of each candidate and realize that their positions on war and empire are not so different from each other.

We need to rededicate our lives to opposing empire, war and unbridled presidential power so that Memorial Day is not grief-soaked for thousands more families to come.

I know I will never experience Memorial Day as a holiday again.

For me, this is not a day to kick off the beginning of the summer season, or to have a leisurely cookout or to watch the Indy 500. And it's no longer a day to have a birthday party for Casey.

For me and for thousands of families devastated by Bush's wars, this is a day to solemnly reflect upon our personal loss - and on how our nation has lost its way.

Instead of resorting to violence and war, we need to honor life and to solve global problems peacefully.

We need to make Memorial Day a relic of the past.

Then I will celebrate.

-- Cindy Sheehan is running for congress as an independent. She can be reached through her website.

-- Middle East Online

Offline agentbluescreen

Good Watch: http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/05222009/watch3.html

Just a thought on Memorial Day to start a thread where members here can share the horrors, feelings, hopes, joys and dreams they have concerning their own experiences or towards those who have given or risked so much or indeed paid the ultimate price for us to remain here to fight another enemy, another day for their (and our own)  kin and descendants freedom from tyranny.

For myself, it is the reason of every warrior who goes into battle, that his fight be to end war; and that is how we should all best strive to repay the charity of all their noble sacrifices.

Peace

Offline agentbluescreen

http://www.remember.gov/
White House Commission on Remembrance Website

Interesting indeed that America lacks the bravery (or the moderator) to even dare to take the risk of allowing Americans to post notes of remembrance on this little propaganda page!

What a crying shame....

Offline agentbluescreen

Happy Memorial Day!

Guess we should just all forget 'em! Everybody else seems to!

???

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
Like the question even needs asking...

Is Obama Wrong to Skip Arlington on Memorial Day?
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/washington-whispers/2010/05/27/is-obama-wrong-to-skip-arlington-on-memorial-day.html
May 27, 2010 12:44 PM ET

By Paul Bedard, Washington Whispers

Anger over President Obama's decision to skip tradition and not pay his Memorial Day respects at Arlington National Cemetery or the Tomb of the Unknown is not going away now that the White House has announced he will visit the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery for veterans an hour from Chicago. [See photos of the Obamas behind the scenes.]

Conservative bloggers like Rory Cooper of the Heritage Foundation writes that the event was added because it's close to where the Obama family will be vacationing, back home in Chicago. "It is true that the heroes laid to rest in this cemetery are equally deserving of presidential attention. However, is President Obama attending services here because of the honor of this particular location, or the geographical proximity to his other plans? The memorial at Arlington serves as a national celebration, which is why past presidents have made special efforts to attend, when possible."

Obama Memorial Day 2010: Chooses Illinois Over Arlington
http://www.nowpublic.com/world/obama-memorial-day-2010-chooses-illinois-over-arlington-2621431.html
by NowPublic Staff | May 26, 2010 at 02:56 pm

Vice President Biden To Lay Wreath At Arlington National Cemetery

President Obama is taking heat from the right wing media for honoring veterans, past and present, in Illinois instead of at the tomb of Unknown Soldier in the Arlington National Cemetery outside Washington.

Contrast that decision to Obama's attendance at the Ft. Hood False Flag Memorial.
He serves his puppetmasters well.

Obama Mourns Victims At Fort Hood Service

I lost my grandfather in WWII... my father a little boy at the time, had to deal with his daddy never coming home. Growing up, I used to think about how that must have felt for my father - and how he never had a chance to visit his own father's grave.  In those days, the widows of men who were killed in battle could never be sure that the body they shipped home would be the right body... there were many mistakes made.  So my grandmother made the difficult decision to bury him in Luxembourg. 

As an adult, I had the chance to visit his grave at the American Cemetery in Luxembourg. There, just outside the city proper, in a beautifully landscaped cemetery were rows and rows of white crosses. I went into the small caretakers building to find out where his grave site was located among the hundreds of markers. The person working there went to a box of index cards, and pulled out a yellowed index card, on which was listed his name, his unit information, date of birth, date of death and under this information was a section labeled "Visitors".  It was empty. Nobody in my family had the means to travel to Luxembourg in the years following his death. I felt this painful sense of his being so far from home, all alone, when I saw that little card.   

Anyway, the point of this is that the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier has a special place in my heart - because it represents all of the men and women who died in our wars and are buried - either at home or overseas - who may or may not have the correct names associated with their remains. They are all unknown soldiers.

That Obama is contemptuously skipping this ritual of honor is particularly appalling to me.

Rest easy Grandpa - you are very much in our hearts.
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline changednametoo

However, is President Obama attending services here because of the honor of this particular location, or the geographical proximity to his other plans?

Honestly, does it really matter?

Offline rawiron1

All the idiot bikers are rolling into town today.  Already causing problems making good bikers look bad.

Jason
Jason the Fed

Offline joeblack

i was listening to a Lowe's radio commercial and this kinda jump out at me. it is their Memorial Day big sale and the announcer explains that Memorial Day is the day we "have fun and get things done". forget about the respect we should pay to the service men that served, fought, wounded, died, lost parts. nope, we are to have fun and get things done and come to Lowe's to buy our lumber.
"there's nothing new under the sun, it's only history repeating itself" spaceman

Offline changednametoo

I just wanted to clairify that I have a lot of respect for Vetrans (except perhaps for those that use their 10 point preference to get government jobs that they are not really equipt to handle and then do the power trip thing on top of it), further I think Memorial Day should be every day, not a national bring out the BBQ holiday. I just personally don't give a hoot whether the president chooses to follow tradition; he either has respect for Vetrans or he doesn't, that's his problem.

Last year on Vetrans Day there was a octagenarian in his wheelchair sitting at a major intersection in town, smiling and waving his American flag. I told him that he made me proud to be American. That one man's patriotism is more valueable and poignant that a lifetime of presidents visiting Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

Offline CheneysWorstNightmare

• F*CK THE NEW WORLD ORDER!
    • Youtube Profile

Offline tritonman

Re: LET'S PAR-TAY!! IT'S MEMORIAL DAY! "The Safety Dance"!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
Oh my freeking , no way.    ???  So this is what it has come to now? Really?  If this video does not wake up a few of the sheep nothing will.

Offline tritonman

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
If you think that is sick just wait until you read this about it.  
http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/showthread.php?t=139642
warning it has been reported that this sight is hosted by the RAND corp.

Offline tritonman

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »
I might also mention that even mentioning the words Alex Jones will get your posts there removed from the main boards lol. ::)

Offline CheneysWorstNightmare

• F*CK THE NEW WORLD ORDER!
    • Youtube Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 08:54:12 PM »
WOW!

They call Adam Kokesh a "leftist"!

f**kING TRAITORS!

Offline Valerius

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
I love the Safety Dance.
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
They were arrested for dancing?

???
War Is Peace - Freedom Is Slavery - Ignorance Is Strength

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline Valerius

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 09:43:24 PM »
They were arrested for dancing?

???

Yes, by order of President Footloose.
"No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."  -Frederick Douglass

Offline Freeski

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
I might also mention that even mentioning the words Alex Jones will get your posts there removed from the main boards lol. ::)

Seriously? That means they disagree with every single thing Alex Jones says.
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline tritonman

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 11:40:44 PM »
Seriously? That means they disagree with every single thing Alex Jones says.
I know that the sheen interview is sometimes offered as the straw that broke the camels back but they in fact have always hated alex there or at least the mods do. Some folks from our forum do belong to the forum there and manage to balance things out usually unless it starts looking to bad for a mod when they begin booting anyone who disagrees lol.

Offline bento

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
What they were not even pogoing? ;D
We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile, and nothing can grow there. Too much and the best of us is washed away.

Offline Freebird100

Democracy Now! returns to Chicago, site of the largest NATO summit in the organization’s six-decade history, where nearly 50 veterans discarded their war medals by hurling them down the street in the direction of the NATO summit. We hear the soldiers’ voices as they return their medals one by one from the stage. "I’m here to return my Global War on Terror Service Medal in solidarity with the people of Iraq and the people of Afghanistan," said Jason Hurd, a former combat medic who spent 10 years in the U.S. Army. "I am deeply sorry for the destruction that we have caused in those countries and around the globe." Scott Kimball, an Iraq war veteran, adds: “For all the servicemembers and veterans who are against these wars, you are not alone!

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/5/28/memorial_day_special_us_veterans_of
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline egypt

• Love: A Wish to bestow the fullness of Joyous Life
These Veterans  are True Heroes !!

Offline larsonstdoc

Cool.  A medal means nothing.  I bet a lot of these guys would like to have their arms and legs back.
I'M A DEPLORABLE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT SUPPORTS PRESIDENT TRUMP.  MAY GOD BLESS HIM AND KEEP HIM SAFE.

Offline URpwneddude

• "You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
MEMORIAL DAY RADIOTHON FOR THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 01:02:57 PM »
(Sheriff Joe Arpaio comes on at 1:30pm Eastern)

MEMORIAL DAY RADIOTHON FOR THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT

It is my pleasure to announce that myself, Natty Bumppo, and Cope Reynolds will be hosting a 24 hour Radiothon with 100% of all donations going to the Wounded Warrior Project.

The program begins on Sunday night, 5/27 at 6 p.m. ET and ends on Monday night 5/28 6 p.m. ET.

To donate, please, click on the link at the top of the page.

To listen go to:

www.justmeasuresradio.com

and if you want, join the chat for the 24 hours as an anon or just sign up.

During the 24 hour program the following guests will appear:

Sheriff Joe Arpaio
Stewart Rhodes - The Oathkeepers
Lindsey Williams
He Who Can Not be Mentioned
Rick Wiles
Greg Evensen
State Senator Jim Tomes R-IN
Bob and Bob with Veterans from New Mexico

And quite possibly some "surprise" guests not previously announced to add to the program.

For those who listen and contribute, we thank you in advance. 100% of every donation received will be forwarded directly to the Wounded Warrior Project, the station, hosts, nor guests receive a dime.

God Bless America and its Veterans and let's make this Memorial Day one to remember.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Offline chris jones

God bless them & hats off.
 Conscience and honor WIN. I luv it!!

Offline chris jones

Re: MEMORIAL DAY RADIOTHON FOR THE WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »
 I have to hand it to Joe Arpaio and his mates, bless their hearts.

Some folks see vets in a different light, a true one. The greater majority of these men and woman joined up due to their nievity, their ignorence as to the big picture. In short they simply didn't know they were  but cannon fodder for the elites machine.
 The tail doesn't wag the dog, the big brass does, under orders of our elected officials & their criminal elitists.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
bump 2014

http://www.nps.gov/frsp/planyourvisit/memorial-day-2014.htm

May 24-26, 2014

May 24-26: Reverberations--Fredericksburg and Our Sister Communities

Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park, in conjunction with the Richmond and Petersburg National Battlefield Parks, will commemorate the 1864 Overland Campaign and Memorial Day with a community outreach program. Each park will adopt "sister communities," North and South, and send historians to those communities to link their history to that of our 1864 battlefields.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
Re: Memorial Day is a Sad Milestone . . . and a Crossroads
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2014, 07:58:59 PM »
http://awwyeahamericanhistorydude.blogspot.com/

The Confederate surrendered in 1865, with the death of around 62,000 of 4.2 million soldiers and millions of injured, it proved to be one of the bloodiest battles ever fought in American territory, leaving the population of the Southern states absolutely devastated. It was one of the earliest Industrial wars, hence the reason being of the mass production of railroads, steamships, and weapons, all which foreshadow the first World War. 
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »

James Stewart discusses a mission
Image courtesy of the 2nd Air Division Memorial Library collection

In 1944, he twice received the Distinguished Flying Cross for actions in combat and was awarded the Croix de Guerre. He also received the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters. In July 1944, after flying 20 combat missions, Stewart was made Chief of Staff of the 2nd Combat Bombardment Wing of the Eighth Air Force, and though he was no longer required or expected to fly missions, he continued to do so. Before the war ended, he was promoted to colonel, one of the few Americans to rise from private to colonel in four years.

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »
forlorn over the loss of Lombard (died in a plane crash)- Gable had a death wish ....

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/clark-gable-served-in-uniform-flew-combat-missions-in-world-war-ii/

Actor Clark Gable Served in Uniform, Flew Combat Missions in World War II
By Robert F. Dorr   - August 11, 2010

Clark Gable was a Hollywood star and among the most famous figures in the world when two events altered his life. First, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, hurtling the United States into World War II. Then, the following month, Gable’s beloved wife Carole Lombard was killed in the crash of a DC-3 airliner returning from a war bonds tour.

http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/54236.html

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »
http://www.nww2m.com/2012/04/turning-point-the-doolittle-raid-battle-of-the-coral-sea-and-battle-of-midway/

On April 2, 1942, the USS Hornet steamed out of San Francisco with sixteen B-25s secured to the flight deck. Also on board was the already legendary Lt. Col. James Doolittle and his crew. He and his all-volunteer force were on a secret, one-way mission to exact a small taste of vengeance for the attack on Pearl Harbor just  four months earlier.

THE LANGLEY IN THE MIDST OF THE GREAT TYPHOON OF DECEMBER, 1944.

http://www.usshullassociation.org/DD350/Hull350-2.htm

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »

Father Emil Kapaun shows his pipe, which was shot out of his mouth by a sniper during the Korean War.

By Jennifer H. Svan 
Stars and Stripes

Published: April 9, 2013

KAISERSLAUTERN, Germany — The first time he saw Father (Capt.) Emil Kapaun, Herbert Miller lay in a frozen, blood-stained ditch in North Korea.

It was November 1950 and Miller, an Army sergeant who had parachuted into Normandy, France, on D-Day, had a gun pointed at his head by a Chinese soldier.

Hit by a hand grenade, his ankle broken, Miller figured he was a goner.

But then, seemingly out of nowhere, a soldier bearing a small cross on his helmet appeared.

“Chaplain Kapaun came from across the road,” Miller recalled in a recent phone interview, weeks shy of his 87th birthday. “He pushed that man aside. He picked me up and carried me. We were both captured at that time.

“I kept telling him, ‘You can’t carry me like that. You put me down,’ ” Miller said, worried he was too much of a physical burden for the slender Kapaun. “He said, ‘If I put you down, they’ll shoot you.’ ”

That Kapaun (pronounced kah-PAWN) will finally receive the Medal of Honor more than 60 years after he died in a North Korean prison camp is “a relief,” Miller said from his winter home in Florida. “Without him, a lot of fellows would have never made it.”

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 08:32:49 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hedy-lamarr-movie-star-inventor-of-wifi/
Hedy Lamarr: Movie star, inventor of WiFi
It was Hedy's idea for a secret communications system - specifically one that could guide a torpedo using a technology called "frequency hopping" - so that signal couldn't be intercepted.
It was 1940, and German U-boats were wreaking havoc in the Atlantic torpedoing ships, very often with women and children aboard trying to flee the Nazis - something Hedy knew a little about.

Born Hedwig Kiesler to Jewish parents in Austria, Hedy had married a wealthy arms manufacturer named Fritz Mendl.

She spent many an evening absorbing his musings about top-secret weapons systems.

But with both the war and the Nazis approaching, Hedy decided to flee her homeland - and her marriage - and booked passage to Hollywood aboard the Normandie, a ship she knew was carrying a very famous passenger, movie mogul Louis B. Meyer.

She was already a name in the industry. Hedy had become infamous for her racy performance in the foreign film "Ecstasy."

Not only was she nude, but a close-up of Hedy's face "in the precise moment of rapture" (as one critic tastefully put it) was considered nothing short of pornography.

But Louis B. Meyer liked what he saw.

Offline Dude447

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
I could not in 100 years explain how I feel about what each and everyone of these people went through . But I try to remember in my own way .

Online TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2014, 08:41:13 PM »
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/mexican-war/battle-cerro-gordo.htm

CERRO GORDO, BATTLE OF. Cerro Gordo is a difficult mountain pass, at the foot of the eastern slope of the Cordilleras, on the great national road from Vera Cruz to the city of Mexico. Santa Anna, by extraordinary efforts after the  battle of BUENA VISTA, had gathered a force of about 12,000 men from among the sierras of Orizaba, concentrated them upon the heights of Cerro Gordo, and strongly fortified the position. When the capture of VERA CRUZ was completed, General Scott prepared to march upon the Mexican capital, along the national road
Santa Anna, with Almonte and other generals, and 8,000 troops, escaped; the remainder were made prisoners. Santa Anna attempted to fly with his carriage, which contained a large amount of specie; but it was over-turned, when, mounting a mule taken from the carriage harness, he fled to the mountains, leaving behind him his wooden leg—a substitute for the real one which was amputated after a wound received in the defense of Vera Cruz in 1837.

In the vehicle were found his papers, clothing, and a pair of woman's satin slippers. The victory of the Americans was complete and decisive. The trophies were 3,000 prisoners (who were paroled), forty-three pieces of bronze artillery (cast in Seville, Spain) , 5,000 stand of arms (which were destroyed), and a large quantity of munitions of war. The fugitives were pursued towards Jalapa with vigor.

In that battle the Americans lost 431 men. The loss of the Mexicans was about 1,200 killed and wounded.