Cashless Society [ MERGED ]

Author Topic: Cashless Society [ MERGED ]  (Read 42587 times)

Offline andy1033

Cashless Society [ MERGED ]
« on: March 24, 2008, 02:52:33 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7309503.stm

bbc report on a cashless society, trying to get you to go cashless.

enjoy

Offline DCUBED

• Sieg Heil!
Re: Cashless Society [ MERGED ]
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:28:03 AM »
http://www.hasbro.com/games/kid-games/monopoly/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=19783

MONOPOLY Brand Electronic Banking Edition

Wheel and deal your way to a fortune even faster using debit cards instead of cash! All it takes is a card swipe for money to change hands. Now you can collect rent, buy properties and pay fines - with the touch of a button! It’s a new way to play the family classic that’s been brought up-to-date with modernized tokens (including a Segway personal transporter, an Altoids tin, space shuttle, flat-screen TV, baseball cap and a dog in handbag!), higher property values and locations based on your favorite landmarks Gameboard comes with title deed cards, chance and community chest cards, 6 debit cards, 2 dice, 6 tokens, 32 houses, 12 hotels and instructions
“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”  - Arthur Conan Doyle

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." J. Edgar Hoover

Offline darsie

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
Bought the popular board game Risk yesterday where armies slog it out - depending on the roll of the dice - to achieve world domination.

Only this time the map of the world appears to have changed and dramatically shrunk -

- with most countries disappearing - with the exceptions of Venezuela - Afghanistan - Iran - Iraq - Israel and the United States.

Sure makes for a short game!  :D

Offline Kilika

• Thank you Jesus!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:37:00 AM »
And if you play Risk or Axis and Allies enough, you'll see some interesting choke points on the world map.
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
1 Timothy 6:10 (KJB)

Offline Capt. Obvious

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:39:20 AM »
You know, that's not a bad idea for educating people. Maybe someone could make a Monopoly game where you have to scan your "microchip" in your hand, and the Chance cards are about being SWAT teamed and food rationing, etc. And maybe the value of the currency can be inflated, then deflated, then converted to a new currency...

hmmm.....

Offline darsie

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »
You know, that's not a bad idea for educating people. Maybe someone could make a Monopoly game where you have to scan your "microchip" in your hand, and the Chance cards are about being SWAT teamed and food rationing, etc. And maybe the value of the currency can be inflated, then deflated, then converted to a new currency...

hmmm.....

And go to jail.......go straight to the FEMA camp

Chance........taser kills you off.........neighbours inform on you........food rations allow you and your family to survive..........chem trails are not in your state.......you manage to keep your job.............you bought gold in 2008.....
your wife turns out to be an FBI informer.......go straight to jail again!

Offline UK Lyn

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 04:00:56 AM »
Nearly choked on my breakfast watching BBC News.

Watched a report on how money is going to be phased out.

Images of contact-free (no PIN number) cards being used for ALL small purchases under 10GBP -and how this technology will be intergarted into the mobile phone which will 'soon become the new digital wallet'.

Scarier still was a talking head from some pro-digital money group, gleefully explaining how when you want to buy a car, your mobile phone will be used by you to buy it -after scanning your voice and fingerprints first...

I think this story may repeat I will try and grab a copy to YouTube

Offline frenchlifeboat

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 04:15:29 AM »
I saw it too, earlier, it'll probably run all day on news 24 to get it into everyones heads.

i posted the link to the bbc page about it, but here it is again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/business/2009/penny_drops/default.stm

Alex mentioned being on a cashless plane last week I think.

it's all happening !! 

Offline UK Lyn

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 05:39:25 AM »

Offline Nailer

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 05:49:03 AM »
they just want it so the government can track every purchase you make  as with cash they can not. no buying guns from friends  or how would people buy drugs or items at yard sales.
I am a realist that is slightly conservative yet I have some republican demeanor that can turn democrat when I feel the urge to flip independant.

The truth shall set you free, if not a 45ACP round will do the trick.. HEHE

Offline mr anderson

• WeAreChange Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:18 AM »
Towards the Cashless Society? - 25 June 1996
http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=86617.0
WeAreChange Brisbane
I hold personal views, beliefs and opinions that do not necessarily reflect the beliefs and opinions of WeAreChange Brisbane as a whole.

Our Bitcoin address: 1Fzb4bp48oMr7CFzT3SbkTzKpMSvWW1X1t

Offline priest143rd

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »
I was in Las Vegas this past December for my friend's funeral, and I was playing the slots at McCarren International Airport just trying to kill time as I waited for my plane to pull into the gate.  I won 300-some-odd dollars, so I cashed out and went to the Delta Airlines desk to upgrade my ticket to First Class.  I wanted to pay cash, but I was told by the representative that they only took credit.  I looked at the hundred dollar bill I was holding and said, "It says legal tender for all debts public and private.  Doesn't that mean that you have to take it?  Who doesn't take cash?"  He just apologized and said that they only take credit.  So, despite having more than enough cash on hand to pay for my upgrade, I had to pay with my debit card.  People thought this would never happen 20 years ago.  They called us cooks for suggesting it, but now that it's here, nobody seems to be blinking an eyelash.

Offline priest143rd

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 10:39:43 AM »
I meant to say that we were considered "kooks" for talking about this 20 years ago - not "cooks."  I have no problem with cooks. ;D

Offline chris jones

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 11:43:51 AM »

Its not a cashless society, though I understand how you feel.

When you use your credit card it automaticaly enters the data base and is open teritory for the ol Feds.. In other words Big Bro has your number.

Offline stangrof

• http://www.ipernity.com/home/stangrof
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 09:34:30 AM »
old but consistent with the agenda

Cashless society by 2012, says Visa chief

By Tim Webb

Sunday, 11 March 2007

The Independent Close
          o DiggDigg
          o del.icio.usdel.icio.us
          o FacebookFacebook
          o RedditReddit
          o GoogleGoogle
          o Stumble UponStumble Upon
          o FarkFark
          o NewsvineNewsvine
          o YahooBuzzYahooBuzz
          o BeboBebo
          o MixxMixx
          o Independent MindsIndependent Minds
    * Print
    * Email
    * Text Size
          o Normal
          o Large
          o Extra Large

Paying for goods with notes and coins could be consigned to history within five years, according to the chief executive of Visa Europe.
Related articles

* Peter Ayliffe: Watchdogs fire plastic bullets, but Visa will stick to its guns

Peter Ayliffe said that, by 2012, using credit and debit cards should be cheaper and more convenient than cash.

Some retailers could soon start surcharging customers if they choose to buy products with cash, because of the greater cost of processing these payments, he warned.

Visa Europe briefed the British Retail Consortium last month on new "contactless" cards that can be waved in front of a scanner to make small payments.

However, the consortium dismissed this vision and claimed that card processing fees, which regulators are investigating, are still too high.

One member of the consurtium said that the estimated "interchange" fee charged to retailers amounts to some 4p for each transaction.

Nick Mourant, treasurer at Tesco, said: "There is a duopoly between Mastercard and Visa in the UK. Their setting of fees is anti-competitive."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cashless-society-by-2012-says-visa-chief-439676.html
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.
Oscar Wild
twitter :https://twitter.com/stangrof

Offline New Whirled Order

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 10:40:14 AM »
I've been doing everything I can to resist paying for goods and services with "magnetic strips" for quite some time, but most people love the convenience factor of debit / credit cards.

I pay for everything in cash with very few exceptions.  This includes having to stand in line TWICE to pay for filling up the car with gasoline.  First you have to give them money up front to insure that you won't drive off without paying, then you have to stand in line again to get your change.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm afraid magnetic strips will eventually win this war.   

Offline TheHouseMan

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 11:09:28 AM »
Right in time for 2012, eh?  :D

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 11:41:32 AM »
What happens when virtually everything is cashless, and then the system GOES DOWN?

???
War Is Peace - Freedom Is Slavery - Ignorance Is Strength

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dok

• end times and current events
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:42:57 AM »
What happens when virtually everything is cashless, and then the system GOES DOWN?

???

ORDO AB CHAO
HOW TO BE SAVED
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html

Ye Must Be Born Again!
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Basics/ye_must_be_born_again.htm

True Salvation & the TRUE Gospel/Good News!
http://www.contendingfortruth.com/?p=1060

how to avoid censorship ;)

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »
old but consistent with the agenda

Cashless society by 2012, says Visa chief

By Tim Webb

Sunday, 11 March 2007

Paying for goods with notes and coins could be consigned to history within five years, according to the chief executive of Visa Europe.
Related articles

* Peter Ayliffe: Watchdogs fire plastic bullets, but Visa will stick to its guns

Peter Ayliffe said that, by 2012, using credit and debit cards should be cheaper and more convenient than cash.

Some retailers could soon start surcharging customers if they choose to buy products with cash, because of the greater cost of processing these payments, he warned.

Visa Europe briefed the British Retail Consortium last month on new "contactless" cards that can be waved in front of a scanner to make small payments.

However, the consortium dismissed this vision and claimed that card processing fees, which regulators are investigating, are still too high.

One member of the consurtium said that the estimated "interchange" fee charged to retailers amounts to some 4p for each transaction.

Nick Mourant, treasurer at Tesco, said: "There is a duopoly between Mastercard and Visa in the UK. Their setting of fees is anti-competitive."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/cashless-society-by-2012-says-visa-chief-439676.html

I would not worry too much about this asshole that helped run Lloyds TSB into the ground: http://www.finextra.com/fullstory.asp?id=14983

Requiring them to need government bailouts (At least £37 Billion/$60 Billion between them, RBS and HBOS) to support their insane banking practices.

Oh yeah, and like AIG, they still paid bonuses with bailout money...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BBC NEWS | Business | Bank shares fall despite bail-out
Oct 13, 2008 ... Shares in Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds TSB and HBOS fall sharply despite the UK's government's £37bn bail-out package.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7668020.stm

'Arrogant' Lloyds to pay bonuses despite bail-out | News
'Arrogant' Lloyds to pay bonuses despite bail-out. Jonathan Prynn, Consumer Affairs Editor 21.10.08. LLOYDS TSB has been accused of arrogance after telling ...
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23575809-details/'Arrogant'+Lloyds+to+pay+bonuses+despite+bail-out/article.do
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 01:45:24 PM »

For those that don't know Chase IS Mastercard. With the Bank mergers like when American Savings went to Chase. Chase then began to have board members on VISA. Also, when VISA went public the banks (like Chase) retained the majority stock.

http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2002/11/04/daily29.html
11/6/2002
First Data counter-sues VISA

Denver-based payment services provider First Data Corp (NYSE: FDC) filed a countersuit against Visa alleging anti-competitive and monopolistic practices that limit competition in the payments industry.

Visa filed suit against First Data in April, attempting to block the expansion of processing credit card transactions through First Data Net

In August, Visa added a ban on all private arrangements an arrangement to provide efficient direct connections to authorize or to clear and settle transactions outside of VisaNet.

For many years, Visa's rules allowed for private arrangements. But when First Data began testing the first such meaningful arrangement, Visa abruptly changed the rule to prohibit all such innovations, said Eula L. Adams, senior executive vice president of First Data, in a statement. Visa has a track record of changing the rules when a rule no longer is in their best interest.

First Data says Visa's lawsuit is an effort to stifle a competitive challenge and not to protect the payment system as Visa alleges.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Offline Dig

• All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man.
    • Git Ureself Edumacated
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 01:49:23 PM »
For those also unaware, Chase, JP Morgan Chase is controlled by David Rockefeller.
All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. The general spread of the light of science has already laid open to every view the palpable truth, that the mass of mankind has not been born with saddles on their backs, nor a favored few booted and spurred, ready to ride them legitimately

Offline eddy64

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 01:57:29 PM »
yes great way of gouging money out of you, having to pay a fee every time you buy something. what happens if you want to lend some money to a friend or relative?

they know where they can stick thier card :P

Offline TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 02:30:09 PM »
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-18812573_ITM
Visa Moves To Prevent Bypassing VisaNet For On-Us Transactions.
Publication: ATM & Debit News
Publication Date: 17-FEB-05

Visa U.S.A. is tightening its merchant processing rules in what some industry observers say is a preemptive strike against bypassing the use of the association's VisaNet processing arm.

Visa is banning Visa issuers and merchant acquirers from bypassing VisaNet for so-called on-us transactions at point-of-sale locations.

The ban prevents merchant processors from processing Visa-branded credit and signature-based debit transactions outside of VisaNet for transactions in which a Visa issuer's card is used where the issuer also is the merchant processor

http://www.corporate.visa.com/md/fs/corporate/visanet.jsp
VisaNet

At its core, Visa is a network that connects financial institutions, merchants and cardholders worldwide. VisaNet's centralized and integrated network architecture allows Visa to provide real-time, value-added payment and information services to our customers. In addition, the centralized processing platform provides Visa with the flexibility to develop, modify and enhance Visa product platforms and processing services quickly and efficiently.

The History of VisaNet
In 1973, National BankAmericard Inc. (NBI) developed the world's first electronic authorization system, followed by the launch of the first electronic clearing and settlement system a year later. Visa became the first payment card company to offer multi-currency clearing and settlement in 1986. In 1993, Visa introduced a state-of-the-art neural network, potentially reducing the incidence of card fraud by providing Visa financial institutions with smarter and timelier data about cardholder behavior. In 2005, Visa opened a new transactions processing center that expanded the capacity and capabilities of VisaNet. The opening of the new data center – dubbed Operations Center Central – paved the way for the next generation of Visa transaction processing and value-added services.

Network Attributes

Scale – VisaNet connects banks and merchants worldwide. Based on tests that we conducted with IBM in July 2005, we estimate that VisaNet can process more than 12,000 transaction messages per second. We believe that the scale of our processing network provides us with a significant cost advantage over our competitors.
Reliability – Visa operates four global processing centers that are synchronized and can shift transaction volume from one data center to another in the event of a natural disaster or technical difficulty. At the same time, our next generation data center houses multiple authorization engines, essentially "data centers within a data center." Combined, these advances ensure the VisaNet system is always available and has enough processing power to meet the growing demand for electronic payments.
Security – Because of VisaNet's centralized architecture, Visa is able to "see" every transaction as it flows through our network. This enables us to risk-score transactions in real time with Advanced Authorization, potentially stopping fraud at the most important point – before it happens.
Value-added Services – We also offer a broad range of value-added services such as enhanced risk management, dispute processing, loyalty programs and other information-based services, which are enabled by our centralized global processing platform. The Visa Incentive Network (VIN), for example, uses VisaNet's centralized processing capabilities to help deliver tailored rewards based on cardholders' needs and interests.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

canandy

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »
i dont need to wait til 2012 ,iam cashless already ;D

Offline TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 02:48:39 PM »
Perfect for tapping in by the NSA/CIA etc...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/110908-visa.html
Visa leans on virtualization to transform data centers
Visa looking to replicate data center success across globe

By Jim Duffy , Network World , 11/09/2008

Visa is looking for a few good people to run its next-generation data centers.

In July, the electronic payments company posted a job listing on the Data Center Job Board for a senior facilities engineer in Virginia to ensure the smooth operation and launch of new state-of-the-art data centers.

Visa is looking to mimic the 2006 launch of its Operations Center Central (OCC) processing facility in Denver in other data centers around the globe. Visa is pushing the envelope of virtualization in that facility and two others in different locations.

"OCC is an ongoing project," says Andy Lewis, Visa's head of global engineering at the Denver OCC. "Just as we complete one aspect of it there's going to be something else that comes along that is a further enabler to reduce costs and increase reliability and availability, while managing risk at the same time. Is there ever an end state?"

Its business would say no. Visa's 1.6 billion global card-holders account for more than $3 trillion in annual transaction volume, which is growing at a 20% per-year clip. VisaNet, the company's global network, serves as the backbone for roughly one-seventh of American consumer expenditure.

Each OCC data center will handle more than $1 trillion in annual transaction volume and according to Visa was designed to meet the growing volume of electronic credit, debit and prepaid transactions for the foreseeable future. Network, server and storage virtualization are key to enabling that.

The OCCs run a single synchronized image of transaction processing around the globe. And each OCC runs multiple instances -- or virtual images -- of that single image within the data center. This gives Visa "redundancy within redundancy" for credit or debit authorization, and the ability to failover to another data center as well as internally within a data center: Visa engineers at an OCC can manage another data center thousands of miles away connected over the company's VisaNet global payments network.

Virtualization has also helped Visa manage costs. By allocating or replicating processing cycles logically, Visa's IT budget went up only 3% or 4%, and unit costs were cut by about 50% between 2000 and 2007, as transactions grew at that 20% annual clip, CIO Michael Dreyer said at Cisco conference last summer.

Offline SheikhGuevara

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »
i dont need to wait til 2012 ,iam cashless already ;D

Hahahaha ditto  :D

Offline Ghost in the Machine

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »
lol 1/2 of the US is a cashless society sigh... includes myself...  :(

Offline pipeliner

• This?!? This is my BOOMSTICK!!!
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2009, 06:19:49 PM »
When they get rid of cash, the only way we will be able to buy is with small ammounts of lead travelling at 2100fps.
At one time I  had nothing but the clothes on my back and a will to survive. The day may come when that is all I need. A man should die with his boots on and the sun on his shoulders.

Offline blackturtle.us

• blackturtle.us
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2009, 07:38:19 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised that we eventually live in a "cashless" society, but I'd be very surprised if it happened before 2020!!!

nofakenews

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »
To fight deflation, abolish cash. Could Japan make reality of ‘science fiction’

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article6531299.ece

Maybe coming to japan soon as well.

Offline TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »
The main push for cashless is purchaces under $20 via RFID.... What I was getting at with the new VISANET is that they can now handle almost unlimited volume.... and what Visa is saying to the Federal Reserve and Treasury is that YES we are ready, we can handle that volume.

When you hear CASHLESS think RFID

http://www.spychips.com/blog/payment_and_pos/cashless_society/
November 21, 2006
Jack in the Box Adopts RFID Payments Despite Warnings

Despite warnings about the insecurity of contactless RFID credit cards, Jack in the Box is pushing forward with an unprecedented plan to install RFID card readers in its fast food restaurants. By the end of December, all Jack locations should have the infrastructure in place, according to a report at RFID Product News.

The New York Times recently ran a story revealing that virtually every RFID credit card tested by security researchers, including Visa, Mastercard, and American Express, was vulnerable to unauthorized charges and put consumers at risk for identity theft. Information like the credit card number, card holder's name, and expiration date could be gleaned right through purses, backpacks or wallets without consumer knowledge or consent using a relatively inexpensive device made with over-the-counter hardware. CASPIAN demanded a recall of the spychipped credit cards, but credit card companies have not even notified consumers about the risks.

Of course, identity thieves aren't the only concern. Those who have read our book "Spychips" know that "authorized users" of RFID technology have been planning to siphon information from RFID-laced credit, debit, and "loyalty" cards to deliver up targeted advertising and perform in-depth marketing research. One day, Jack could hide RFID readers in its restaurant doorways, order counters, tables and other locations to grab information you would never offer up voluntarily.

Next time you want to eat fast food, consider passing by Jack in the Box for a more consumer-conscious restaurant--and be sure to tell Jack that you oppose the use of RFID reader devices in public places.

http://myvesta.org.uk/articles/blogs/11/Visa-and-Barclaycard-Team-Up-to-Make-The-UK-a-Cashless-Society.html
Visa and Barclaycard Team Up to Make The UK a Cashless Society
03/12/2007

The current hope is that Visa and Barclaycard can persuade people to use their wave-and-pass cards to eliminate the desire for people to carry cash. Currently 50% of Britons still prefer to carry cash for smaller payments.

Merchants know that people will spend more when using these cards and I'm sure Visa would prefer to make a percentage off every transaction than see people do something stupid, like carry cash.

http://www.visapaywave.co.uk/flash/html/main.html 2007 Visa Europe

http://mobresistance.org/html/visa_cashless_ads_.html
Can a microscopic tag be implanted in a person’s body to track his every movement? We are talking about that up here [Capitol Hill] and… you will rule on that!” - 2008 Vice President Joe Biden

http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Visa_(V)

Visa (NYSE: V) operates the world's largest retail Credit Card Network, in terms of transaction volume and the number of branded credit and debit cards in circulation.
Visa revenue grew by 157% growth from 2004 to 2008[1]. However, Visa was forced to pay American Express Company (AXP) $2.25 billion in a settlement over anti-trust infringement in late 2007.[2] In October 2008, Visa agreed to settle a similar $6.0 billion suit with Discover Financial Services (DFS).[3] Moreover, American Express also gained the right to provide transaction services to banks that were previously locked into exclusive agreements with Visa and Mastercard.
 In 2007, credit and debit card payments made up 56% of all purchases.[20]
 Many small transactions around $5 are also done with credit cards. Many stores don't even require a signature for purchases under $20 or $30. Customers find it convenient and processors love it because they get a fee. Only merchants dislike it because they have to pay a fee on each transaction.
Visa competes against companies in the general purpose payment card industry. As the largest processor of retail payments the world, Visa Inc. dwarfs its rivals. It accounts for 60% of the debit-card transactions in the U.S. market - a four-to-one advantage over rival MasterCard. As the chart demonstrates, it is also bigger by total transactions and total volume.

Offline jjbk

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 02:11:09 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8197330.stm

pay by mobile phone, no cash necessary in kenya

Offline Monkeypox

• He Loved Big Brother
    • Monkeypox
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »
Nothing new, they've been doing this for years in some countries.
War Is Peace - Freedom Is Slavery - Ignorance Is Strength

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."

—Thomas Jefferson

Offline Optimus

• Globalist Destroyer
  • Global Moderator
    • GlobalGulag.com
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 02:41:41 PM »
They have been testing and conditioning us to go cashless for a long time. How many people use plastic now? There are credit and debit cards, autopaying bills directly from bank accounts, online payment systems like PayPal, StormPay, etc. All are methods of buying and paying bills without using cash. There is also self-checkout cashiers in stores like walmart where you scan your own items and swipe a credit card.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people,
it's an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” – Patrick Henry

>>> Global Gulag Media & Forum <<<

carlee

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 02:53:12 PM »

New group eyes local money, among other ideas, to boost Ojai’s economy

By Cole Bettles, intern
Ojai likes to think of itself as standing apart from the rest of the world. Soon, that list of distinctions could include our own money.

The Ojai Economy Group, recently formed to consider this idea, among others, to stimulate the local economy, admits that creating an additional monetary system is not simple.

But here is the basic idea: in theory, a local bank would sell 100 Ojai bucks for, let’s say, $105. Then the Ojai dollars could be spent at local, participating merchants and upon a purchase, customers will receive a discount set by the retailer.

Next, the retailer could exchange the Ojai bucks back to U.S. dollars. The surplus of the federal currency, at the local bank, would be pumped back into the community, specifically to charitable organizations.

The Ojai Economy Group is projecting that this buck will stimulate economic growth within the community. The stimulus package, like a pebble dropped in the middle of a lake, has little to no effect on small companies and communities that lie far from the epicenter.

Since Ojai is made up of small businesses, members of the community, such as the Ojai Economy Group, are philosophizing and concocting ways to battle the recession from the bottom up; call it the “Trickle Up Theory.” The notion of a new currency is getting mixed reviews.

“Sounds like communism to me,” said an Ojai merchant, who described the idea with abhorrence and consequently requested to remain anonymous.

“This is a terrific idea. Ojai needs to understand the importance of spending money in their own community,” said another anonymous store owner, who happened to be located directly next door to the anti-communist merchant.

After interviewing more than 30 Ojai stores, it was apparent that there is a dynamic array of views regarding adapting this innovative yet ancient system. Passing from store to store was like switching back and forth from MSNBC and Fox News. The store owners, like the members of the community, want more information before they commit to participating.

The Ojai Economy Group is hosting an event from Sept. 25 to 27, and they will discuss the Ojai buck. For more information, visit their web site, ojaieconomy.com.

Creating a new currency is an extremely intricate process. “I would normally say creating a new currency provides a temporary solution to a long-term problem, but that’s because I have mostly studied creating currencies in small countries,” said Pierre Weill, an economics professor at UCLA.

The idea raised a number of questions that the professor had to research and confer with colleagues before providing a solid analysis. After evaluating the idea, he said, “I think this is great. If I own a restaurant, I have two kinds of customers: locals and visitors. The locals are obviously educated about the area and the visitors are not. By providing a discount to your local costumers, you can provide a competitive service, while maintaining the higher price for your visitors.”

In Great Barrington, Mass., citizens created BerkShares, a supplementary currency. “There are currently 2.4 million BerkShares in circulation and at any given point, there are $150,000 that remain in circulation,” said Susan Witt, co-founder of BerkShares. More than 400 businesses formally accept the currency and about 200 merchants informally accept it.

“The currency has created great discussion, but it really isn’t a political issue. You will find Democrats and Republicans supporting the BerkShare,” said Witt. But in Ojai, there was a positive correlation between a person’s political identity and their attitude toward the Ojai buck. “In December, during the financial meltdown, we found a lot of small businesses willing to adapt the BerkShare. During times of economic difficulties, small business get creative,” said Witt. She juxtaposed the dollar to fast food and continued to say, “We call the BerkShares a slow money. Instead of doing everything on the computer, you go down to meet the people at the bank, meet the local citizens selling the item, you have personal conversations.”

There are no legal ramifications to adopting an additional currency. In the United States, during the early 1800s, each bank issued its own currency.  To this day, it is a fundamental right to issue an additional currency. Weill said, “Local currencies proved to be an effective way to battle the Great Depression.” Even though we are only experiencing effects from a recession, history shows that creating an Ojai buck could allow Ojai’s economic activity to thrive.

http://ovnblog.com/?p=1607

Offline TheHouseMan

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 03:59:27 PM »
I've been to Kenya. They very much use money.

However, the tyranny does seem to be being tested on Kenya, as everyone is required to have ID cards in Kenya. A guy I met said that they were doing this.

nofakenews

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 06:52:02 PM »
Wal-Mart (WMT: 51.6, -0.14, -0.27%), the largest private employer in the U.S., has decided to go paperless when paying employees and is switching to direct deposit and debit cards. For employees who refuse direct deposit, their pay will be offered in the form of a debit card.

The program is rolling out nationally in September, and is expected to be finalized by the end of 2009. Wal-Mart says the move will save 257,572 pounds of paper per year as well as an unspecified amount of money. Currently, Wal-Mart has 1.4 million employees, and half of them receive paper checks.

Wal-Mart isn’t the only organization to go totally paperless; the Social Security Administration also offers employees payment through plastic.

Transactions on Wal-Mart’s debit cards will be handled through First Data Corp, which will offer one free ATM transaction per pay period to users looking to take money out, and will charge subsequent withdrawals at $2 each. Workers can also withdraw their money from registers at Wal-Mart for free.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/retail/wal-mart-goes-paperless-payments/

Were moving more to a cashless society and wally world will be making their employee's accept it.

nofakenews

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 06:58:50 PM »
Yup as even child support is forcing this move and welfare too.

The EPPICard was bought in by the USA government to eradicate the use of paper checks in the child benefit environment. In the past, when you were claiming support for your child the government would claim money from the farhther which would in turn get passed on to the mother in the form of a paper check recieved through the post. With the invention of the eppicard things have modernised. It's simple to use ad instead of recieving a physical check the government will top up your eppicard for the correct amount. You then take your EPPICard to an ATM to with draw the cash or simply use it like any normal credit card to buy goods with.

This method has become a more convienient way of moving money around the system. Users can log onto www.eppicard.com to find out their current balance. When you first enter the website you are presented with a number of different states. Select the state you live in, for example Florida then login using the panel on the left. It will then give you your person information and balance available on your eppicard. You can also report lost or stolen cards on the site, use the online ATM locator and browse the FAQ's

http://eppicards.blogspot.com/

luckee1

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 07:21:10 PM »
EBT cards for Food Stamps already done.

Convergys has already gone paperless.  If you don't like it, find employment elsewhere.