Adaptogens, Smoking, and Vaping – An Experiment On Myself

Author Topic: Adaptogens, Smoking, and Vaping – An Experiment On Myself  (Read 288 times)

Offline One Revelator

Adaptogens, Smoking, and Vaping – An Experiment On Myself
« on: December 27, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »
So, I switched from 1.5-2ppd cigarettes to pure USP nicotine about 3 years ago. Since then, there's still been the occasional cigarette. However, I actually prefer the variety of flavors that cigarettes just don't do.

Initially, I noticed the loss of mental acuity coming off the tobacco. But I stuck it out figuring that it might come back. Lately, I've experienced physiological symptoms associated with hypothyroidism: brain fog, joint pain, chronic digestive issues, and chronic lack of energy. A general inflammatory response to things that don't necessarily require inflammation. Explains cravings for caffeine and sugar. NSAIDS were never meant for long-term use.

I could just chalk it up to getting older. But is that necessarily true?

It's this lack of energy that has been prevalent throughout much of my lifetime. One online discussion about these symptoms suggested that ingredients in the tobacco may have been compensating for a hormonal imbalance, or the imbalance may have been the body adapting to a life long smoking habit. Who knows?

Either way there's something missing that was there 3 years ago. And the weakened physiology has become a hindrance. I've considered whole tobacco alkaloids as a possible solution. However, they are more expensive than USP Nic and can lead toward addiction rather than away from it. The manufacturer's intent for this product is to give people something extra to successfully make the switch from smoke to steam. I'm already to the point of needing to cut down the nicotine again. It's becoming harsh. So, I'm headed in the right direction. Occasional Swedish-style SNUS is another option I'm experimenting with to “fill in the gaps”.  But since it involves raw tobacco, I'm a bit dubious. Especially if it comes from RJ Reynolds.

Enter adaptogenic herbs. Or more specifically, rhodiola. Russia has studied this herb and issued it to cosmonauts. It is non toxic and AFAIK non-addictive.

After only 2 doses, I can feel a difference. Things seem a little bit clearer and the digestive cycle has changed, hopefully for the better. I say “hopefully” because I've gotten used to the chronic problems as being “normal”.

I intend to update this thread as longer-term changes develop. But, hey, it's worth a shot. And it's a hella lot cheaper than paying a doctor to say hello, draw blood, and possibly put me on some sort of pharma for life.
The number one cause of all human poverty, misery, and death is not global warming. It’s GLOBAL LYING.

Offline joerider

Re: Adaptogens, Smoking, and Vaping – An Experiment On Myself
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 02:51:25 PM »
I want to switch too, so i find this thread very interesting. Keep it up!

Offline One Revelator

Re: Adaptogens, Smoking, and Vaping – An Experiment On Myself
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »
Update: The rhodiola definitely helps with physiological stress. However, I feel that it is possible to overdo it with this particular supplement. Some days I skip it entirely and some days I have doubled up on the dosage. Since starting, the chronic gastrointestinal problems have improved.

The thing that is possibly unrelated ATM is a low-level, persistent flu or cold that affects the upper respiratory system. This has resulted in extreme sensitivity at times throughout the day to the nicotine in e-liquids. Usually early morning or late evening.  Combined with a wintry 25% humidity in the house, and I go into coughing fits. I have countered with exceptionally low nicotine level mixes for those times. (4mg/ml – MTL) Might even try some zero-nic mixes as well.

Snus supplementation does not produce this reaction. And I have started to snus during extended daytime outside work sessions that involve physical labor in cold temperatures.

@joerider – The switch is entirely possible. I didn't know it would work at first and dual used for about the first month. But a whole lot of people have had success not just getting off the cigarettes, but staying off. That, to me, is the most important part. A lot of people quit, then relapse after 6 months, a year, or several years. It's also a whole lot cheaper these days for people on a fixed income. I guess MAGA hasn't hit my area yet.

Psychologically, I've never said to myself that I was quitting. But today, I simply prefer vape over smoke and would rather not go back. I truly believe COPD was at my doorstep years ago and I've read that the second time around after a relapse is not as easy to do.
The number one cause of all human poverty, misery, and death is not global warming. It’s GLOBAL LYING.