Alex Jones is a Gateway to Alt-right Nazism - Luke O’Brien - Atlantic

Author Topic: Alex Jones is a Gateway to Alt-right Nazism - Luke O’Brien - Atlantic  (Read 156 times)

Offline TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
I thought this was interesting ... Luke Obrian sez : Alex Jones conspiracy theorist gate way to the Nazism and Naz's can't get girls ...  was on NPR today ....  he makes allegations but I didn't know if these people had ever been sued or arrested before ...

https://www.theatlantic.com/author/luke-o-brien/
Luke O’Brien is a senior reporter at HuffPost, where he covers political extremism and propaganda.

http://www.lukeobrien.com/info/about/
Luke O'Brien is a magazine journalist who specializes in narrative and investigative features. His work has appeared in The Atlantic, Fortune, Details, Rolling Stone, Fast Company, The New York Times, Boston Magazine, The Washington Post Magazine and Slate, among other publications. His stories have been anthologized in the Best Technology Writing and noted in the Best American Sports Writing.

Luke got his start in journalism at a daily paper in Clovis, New Mexico, and has worked as a writer for National Geographic Television, SF Weekly, Village Voice Media, Wired News and Deadspin. He is currently a contributing writer at Huffington Post Highline and was previously the senior correspondent at POLITICO Magazine. Luke is a graduate of Harvard and Columbia.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/14/564006409/how-andrew-anglin-transformed-from-small-town-boy-to-neo-nazi-standout

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/12/the-making-of-an-american-nazi/544119/
The Making of an American Nazi

How did Andrew Anglin go from being an antiracist vegan to the alt-right’s most vicious troll and propagandist—and how might he be stopped?

The calls marked the start of a months-long campaign of harassment orchestrated by Andrew Anglin, the publisher of the world’s biggest neo-Nazi website, The Daily Stormer. He claimed that Gersh was trying to “extort” a property sale from Sherry Spencer, whose son, Richard Spencer, was another prominent white nationalist and the face of the so-called alt-right movement.
That Anglin, a 33-year-old college dropout, could unleash such mayhem—Whitefish’s police chief, Bill Dial, likened it to “domestic terrorism”—was a sign of just how emboldened the alt-right had become.
“My lawyer is telling me we can easily march through the center of the town carrying high-powered rifles.” [ He got a lawyer who is funding this crap ? ]

Greg got involved emotionally, and sometimes sexually, with his female clients. Court documents related to his divorce support this claim: A former client is identified as his girlfriend. Greg would later make her a partner in his counseling practice. (Neither of Anglin’s parents responded to requests for comment.)

Shortly after the divorce proceedings began, Anglin found a new emotional outlet: listening to a right-wing radio host who claimed that 9/11 was an inside job. This was Alex Jones, who would go on to become America’s premier conspiracy theorist. For Anglin, he was an entry point into the “internet truth movement,” an online realm filled with all manner of paranoid delusions. Soon Anglin was pulling classmates aside to warn them about lizard people. After graduation, few of his friends saw or spoke to him again.
Here, one might conclude, are fellow detectives working to excavate realities hidden from the “normie” mainstream—that jet contrails contain chemicals sprayed into the atmosphere by the government, for example, or that the moon landing was faked.
Anglin was by then spending a lot of time on 4chan, a website that lets users post images and comments anonymously, and that has drawn droves of socially isolated young people thumbing their noses at political correctness.
In November 2006, Anglin launched his own conspiracy-theory website, virtually all traces of which were removed from the internet during the time I was reporting this story. He called the site Outlaw Journalism, a tribute to Hunter S. Thompson, whom he idolized, though Anglin’s writing more closely resembled the rantings of Alex Jones—outrageous posts laced with misogyny and anti-immigrant sentiment. “Welcome to the future,” he wrote. “We’re living in a science fiction nightmare.”
This delusional thinking eventually overwhelmed Anglin. “I just about lost my f**king mind on that conspiracy shit,” he admitted on a podcast years later. He withdrew to a relative’s farm, most likely his maternal grandmother’s 84-acre property south of Columbus, which had woods, a stream, and fields. “I had some issues, and moved to the country,” he wrote on Outlaw Journalism in May 2007, noting that his thoughts were “about 200 percent clearer.” He took in the stars at night and enjoyed the “ecstatic luxury of taking a long walk on non-paved surfaces.”

The internet truthers had embraced a new medium, but their mode of thinking was hardly novel. In his famous 1964 essay “The Paranoid Style in American Politics,” the historian Richard Hofstadter wrote about the conspiratorial fantasies of Barry Goldwater supporters in terms that sound strikingly contemporary: “The modern right … feels dispossessed: America has been largely taken away from them and their kind, though they are determined to try to repossess it and to prevent the final destructive act of subversion.”
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Offline EvadingGrid

• Truthers are not Trumpers
    • Trump Bot Free Zone
Re: Alex Jones is a Gateway to Alt-right Nazism - Luke O’Brien - Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
This should be amusing.

“Hey, I’m a nationalist and a globalist”
-- Donald Trump

Article : "A Limited Hangout Operation ?"

Offline TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:47 AM »
yeah I keep thinking these people have been created like in 1984 as the puppet enemy for the left ....
as a primary way to discredit political adversaries . ( conservatives , "truthers" etc ... )

I cant find any more info on the Anglin lawsuit(s) as of yet still looking ... ( But I would have thought there'd be more .... )

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/technology/theyre-trying-to-sue-a-white-supremacist-first-he-must-be-found.html
To Sue Founder of Daily Stormer, a Neo-Nazi Site, First He Must Be Found

By NELLIE BOWLES
AUG. 20, 2017

For the past five months, a group of litigants has been trying to hold Andrew Anglin, the founder of the neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer, to account for some of his actions. It has not been easy.

A team of four people hired by the nonprofit Southern Poverty Law Center to serve Mr. Anglin with notice of a lawsuit accusing him of leading a “troll army” have failed. They scoured parts of Ohio, where Mr. Anglin is from, and talked to his brother; they went to his father’s counseling office; they drove around his sister’s church. When they saw someone was home at an apartment affiliated with him, they staked it out.

“He knows people are trying to serve him,” said Teresa Ploesser, who works for Encore Process Service, which the Southern Poverty Law Center hired to find Mr. Anglin. “He knows what he’s doing. To avoid service, you’ve got to be a step ahead.”
Since April, the Southern Poverty Law Center, a legal advocacy and civil rights group, has tried to track down Mr. Anglin for a lawsuit claiming that he used his website to inflict emotional distress on Tanya Gersh, a Jewish real estate agent in Montana. The fruitless search for him exemplifies the challenges that online harassment cases sometimes encounter.

The lawsuit is one of several against Mr. Anglin. On Tuesday, two women who say they were injured in the Charlottesville neo-Nazi protest sued him and other organizers. A day later, the SiriusXM radio host Dean Obeidallah sued Mr. Anglin for calling him the “mastermind” behind a deadly bombing.

Mr. Anglin is considered a “prestige figure” in the white nationalist movement and is most likely hiding among his community, said Keegan Hankes, an analyst at the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Mr. Anglin’s lawyer, Marc Randazza, said that the editor should be easy to find and that no one had looked hard enough. Mr. Anglin has written on The Daily Stormer that he is in Nigeria.
Mr. Anglin is facing troubles other than the lawsuits. GoDaddy and Google kicked The Daily Stormer off their platforms last week for violating their terms of service. The site re-emerged on Tor, a browser for anonymous web surfing, and within a day found a new home on a Russian server before again being booted. The website appeared to be offline late Friday, days after it was expelled from CloudFlare, a service that provides protection from online attacks.
If Mr. Anglin cannot be served notice in person, the last step is to put a public notice for six consecutive weeks in a local newspaper. Ms. Gersh’s lawyer at the Southern Poverty Law Center, David Dinielli, expects to do so this month.
Mr. Randazza said that what Mr. Anglin wrote was protected speech, and he connected the lawsuit with the broader political climate. “There’s this belief among the modern left that free speech is for me but not for thee,” he said.
Behold, happy is the man whom God correcteth: therefore despise not thou the chastening of the Almighty: For he maketh sore, and bindeth up: he woundeth, and his hands make whole ; He shall deliver thee in six troubles: yea, in seven there shall no evil touch thee. - Job 5

Offline TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:17:35 AM »
something recent :

https://www.timesofisrael.com/lawyers-seek-to-question-neo-nazi-website-publishers-family/
Lawyers seek to question neo-Nazi website publisher’s family
The Daily Stormer's Andrew Anglin, facing a libel lawsuit, is concealing his whereabouts, attorneys say
By AP   24 October 2017, 8:24 am

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana — Lawyers suing a neo-Nazi website’s publisher asked a federal judge Monday for court-ordered permission to question the man’s relatives about his whereabouts.

Private investigators
believe The Daily Stormer’s publisher, Andrew Anglin, is living in the Worthington, Ohio, area but couldn’t find him there last month, according to attorneys for a Muslim-American radio host who sued Anglin in August.

The lawyers want to question Anglin’s father and brother under oath and ask if they know where he is living, so he can be served with a copy of the federal lawsuit filed in Columbus, Ohio.
Obeidallah’s lawyers said their private investigators didn’t find Anglin at five addresses they visited in the Worthington area, where most of his family lives. Anglin “appears to be concealing his location,” possibly with help from his family, the plaintiffs’ attorneys wrote.
Obeidallah sued Anglin two days after domain name registration companies Google and GoDaddy yanked the site’s web address, effectively making it unreachable
In April, a Montana woman sued Anglin for orchestrating an anti-Semitic trolling campaign against her family.
Gersh is represented by attorneys from the Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center. In July, the center’s lawyers claimed Anglin was “actively concealing his whereabouts.”

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana — Lawyers suing a neo-Nazi website’s publisher asked a federal judge Monday for court-ordered permission to question the man’s relatives about his whereabouts.

Private investigators believe The Daily Stormer’s publisher, Andrew Anglin, is living in the Worthington, Ohio, area but couldn’t find him there last month, according to attorneys for a Muslim-American radio host who sued Anglin in August.

Get The Times of Israel's Daily Edition by email and never miss our top stories
Free Sign Up

The lawyers want to question Anglin’s father and brother under oath and ask if they know where he is living, so he can be served with a copy of the federal lawsuit filed in Columbus, Ohio.

SiriusXM Radio show host Dean Obeidallah’s suit says Anglin falsely labeled him as the “mastermind” behind a deadly bombing at a concert in England. Obeidallah, a comedian and Daily Beast columnist, said he received death threats after the article’s June 1 publication.
Andrew Anglin, who runs the neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer, wearing a pro-Donald Trump hat after endorsing the Republican front-runner. (Wikipedia/BFG101/CC BY SA-4.0)

Obeidallah’s suit says the site embedded fabricated messages in the post to make them seem like they had been sent from Obeidallah’s Twitter account, tricking readers into believing he took responsibility for the May 22 terrorist attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

Obeidallah’s lawyers said their private investigators didn’t find Anglin at five addresses they visited in the Worthington area, where most of his family lives. Anglin “appears to be concealing his location,” possibly with help from his family, the plaintiffs’ attorneys wrote.

Anglin has posted on social media about Obeidallah’s suit, the radio host’s attorneys said.

“He is openly mocking the Court, often referring to this action as an ‘lolsuit’ (i.e., a ‘laugh out loud’ suit),” they wrote.

Anglin didn’t immediately respond Monday to an email seeking comment.

Anglin’s site takes its name from Der Stürmer, a newspaper that published Nazi propaganda. The site includes sections called “Jewish Problem” and “Race War.”

Obeidallah sued Anglin two days after domain name registration companies Google and GoDaddy yanked the site’s web address, effectively making it unreachable. The companies acted after Anglin published a post mocking the woman killed in a deadly car attack at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August. The site has struggled to stay online over the past two months.
Tanya Gersh (via Facebook)

In April, a Montana woman sued Anglin for orchestrating an anti-Semitic trolling campaign against her family. Tanya Gersh’s suit claims anonymous internet trolls bombarded Gersh’s family with hateful and threatening messages after Anglin published their personal information in a post accusing her and other Jewish residents of Whitefish, Montana, of engaging in an “extortion racket” against the mother of white nationalist Richard Spencer.

Gersh is represented by attorneys from the Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center. In July, the center’s lawyers claimed Anglin was “actively concealing his whereabouts.”

Obeidallah is represented by Muslim Advocates, a national legal and educational organization based in Oakland, California. His suit claims Anglin libeled him, invaded his privacy and intentionally inflicted “emotional distress.”

Offline iamc2

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:41:30 PM »
 Nazis? YUP this fool is a Nazi...Luke the Nazi!

This BS makes me laugh at the fools in their lying Folly!
"When the Truth was murdered:
Common Sense ran away..."

Offline TahoeBlue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 02:51:58 PM »
Nazis? YUP this fool is a Nazi...Luke the Nazi!

This BS makes me laugh at the fools in their lying Folly!

you've got to listen to the npr interview where he sez Alex is a "gateway" like a drug to heavier alt-right Nazi "white (privilege) " Nationalism KKK etc on and on ... 

Offline iamc2

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »
you've got to listen to the npr interview where he sez Alex is a "gateway" like a drug to heavier alt-right Nazi "white (privilege) " Nationalism KKK etc on and on ... 
Mate: you are a smart man: as I have read your posts for years  8) !

WE both understand that fames leads to pride.

...and Alex has falling into pride: and that is my opinion.

...The Mrs. and I, went to the protest; at 'Ground Zero' in Sept. of 2007: and I gave Mr. Jones a copy of my book 'Whose Time is it Anyways?'

...Moral of this story is: "Alex is not the same man we meet in NYC, in 2007.

...the Mrs. is a Nurse and her heart is broken; because of Mr. Jones has changed: and most can hear this.

...I have listened to Mr. Jones; from the time he was on the radio: and this man has done a lot to bring folks into the thuth of the Rat maggot Bastards who run this world.

...I think that Mr. Jones should become the man he was in 2007!
"When the Truth was murdered:
Common Sense ran away..."