State Knife Laws

Author Topic: State Knife Laws  (Read 527 times)

Offline Rex

State Knife Laws
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »
My state (Texas) will make virtually all knives legal to carry on Sept 1.  In 2013 the legislature legalized switchblades, in 2015 they enacted statewide preemption (where state law overrules local ordinances), and now full open carry will be legal.  In some llocal jurisdictions it will be illegal to carry longer knives, but that will be the next, and last, prohibition to be lifted.  Probably in the next meeting of our legislature.

I prefer fixed-blade knives because there's no folding mechanism to get fouled when I'm working with them in dirty environments.  But I don't carry a fixed blade because I forget to take the scabbard off my belt when I leave my property.  That will no longer be an issue after Sept 1.

Below is a link to a map showing knife laws in the states.  Some of the data is out of date, but it gives you an idea of what's legal in your area.  The right to bear arms includes knives.  I'll feel better having a fixed-blade knife at my side from now on when I'm in public.

https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/

Offline notravelingfellows

Re: State Knife Laws
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:44:37 PM »
Thank God. That makes me feel even safer here in Texas. Oh, the fear in your aggressor's eyes when they see the Bowie knife you pull out.
Berthed and stamped No. *************