Farhad Azima

Author Topic: Farhad Azima  (Read 700 times)

Offline Neuromancer

Farhad Azima
« on: April 29, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »
How much do we know about him?
Poster Neuromancer's comments bring a critical but often overlooked historical perspective to key present-day social issues. His underlying goals focus on inspiring curiosity and creativity, sharpening critical analysis of everything from historical texts to today’s news.

Offline Neuromancer

Re: Farhad Azima
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:48:00 AM »
The Wall Street Journal recently fired Jay Solomon, its chief foreign affairs correspondent, for failure to disclose business deals with one of his sources — including selling weapons to a foreign power.

Solomon says he was in over his head and apologized, while denying that any money had changed hands or that he had consummated any arms deals with his source and two partners who were retired CIA covert operations officers.

The revelations about Solomon would be remarkable enough even if he were not also the author of a book lambasting such activities, or that his source, Farhad Azima, had not been implicated in the Iran-Contra scandal 30 years ago. Azima allegedly offered Solomon a 10% stake in a private security firm, Denx, that sought to ship weapons to the United Arab Emirates, among other deals.

The other partners also discussed a plot to overthrow the government of Kuwait, but it’s not yet known whether they told Solomon, who did not report it in the Journal, which is now reviewing hundreds of other stories Solomon wrote over his 23-year career.

“I clearly made mistakes in my reporting and entered into a world I didn’t understand,” Solomon said in a statement.  “I never entered into any business with Farhad Azima, nor did I ever intend to. But I understand why the emails and the conversations I had with Mr. Azima may look like I was involved in some seriously troubling activities.”

This excerpt from Inside Job, by Stephen Pizzo and colleagues, describes how Azima, an Iranian-born wheeler-dealer, used loans from financial institutions involved with organized crime and connections to some shady characters working with US intelligence agencies to build an air-cargo business that survived both the Iran-Contra scandal and the trillion-dollar bankruptcy of US savings and loans institutions that followed Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush’s “deregulation” of the financial industry.

Whether dupe, cut-out, patsy, useful idiot, victim of a set-up, or willing accomplice to a con in which he played the mark, Solomon certainly knew who Azima was — and is. So should have his employers.

WhoWhatWhy Introduction by Doug Vaughan.

https://whowhatwhy.org/2017/06/23/fired-wsj-reporter-connected-iran-contra-arms-dealer/
Poster Neuromancer's comments bring a critical but often overlooked historical perspective to key present-day social issues. His underlying goals focus on inspiring curiosity and creativity, sharpening critical analysis of everything from historical texts to today’s news.

Offline Neuromancer

Re: Farhad Azima
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:03:13 AM »
Documents in relation to Denx LLC, show Farhad Azima partnering up with Gary Berntsen and Scott Model. Both identified in the press as CIA agents.
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3871143/Jay-Solomon-Documents.pdf

Berntsen has his own wikipedia page. -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Berntsen  -  where he is described as having led "the response team to the 1998 U.S. Embassy attacks in Dar es Salaam. Berntsen went to Afghanistan in March 2000 as a part of a CIA team that planned on capturing a senior Al Qaeda leader."

This was at a time when Viktor Bout was flying in and out of the country.

Scott Modell is currently "a senior adviser to U.S. Special Operations Command on counter-threat finance issues related to Middle Eastern terrorist groups and state sponsors of terrorism. He also participated in post 9-11 operations in Afghanistan, as a member of paramilitary counterterrorism teams composed of CIA officers and local Afghan forces." https://www.csis.org/people/scott-modell