London police simulate Thames boat hijacking in counter-terror exercise

Author Topic: London police simulate Thames boat hijacking in counter-terror exercise  (Read 215 times)

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
London police simulate Thames boat hijacking in counter-terror exercise
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-security-idUSKBN16Q0KJ?il=0
Sun Mar 19, 2017 | 9:59am EDT

London police simulated a hijacking of a tourist boat on the River Thames on Sunday as part of training for a possible terror attack.

The Metropolitan Police said more than 200 police officers and staff took part in the exercise on Sunday and also involved other organizations including the fire brigade, ambulance service and coastguard.

"The scenario involved a group of terrorists hijacking a passenger pleasure boat on the Thames and taking a number of hostages, to travel up the Thames to central London to carry out a terrorist attack," the Met Police said in a statement.

"It was designed to test the response and command and control protocols of emergency services, working with maritime partners, in dealing with this kind of situation in a marine environment."

The Met said the scenario was not based on any specific intelligence but last year an independent review of London's preparedness to respond to a terrorist attack, ordered by the mayor, recommended strengthening security measures on the river.

Britain's terrorism threat level is at "severe", which means an attack is deemed "highly likely".

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan; editing by Jason Neely)
And  the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

Offline freedom_commonsense

It's rated "Severe" because they create the terrorism themselves.  ;D

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
Yes - and I recall there was a training exercise right before the 7/7 London terror attacks; a training exercise that was identical to the subsequent "Terrorist Attack" that occurred. So it's good to watch for these terrorist training 'exercises' -- dry runs...

Counter-terrorist training exercise days before 7/7 was 'entirely a coincidence'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355639/Counter-terrorist-training-exercise-days-7-7-entirely-coincidence.html
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
UPDATED: 12:07 EDT, 10 February 2011
Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren,  ye have done it unto me.

Offline Satyagraha

• Global Moderator
What UK laws might be changed (read: enhanced) if a terrorist attack were to be perpetrated on a boat? Is there a different set of laws that relate to vessels on water? Might be interesting to find out.. in advance.

Offline Changeling

Yes - and I recall there was a training exercise right before the 7/7 London terror attacks; a training exercise that was identical to the subsequent "Terrorist Attack" that occurred. So it's good to watch for these terrorist training 'exercises' -- dry runs...

Counter-terrorist training exercise days before 7/7 was 'entirely a coincidence'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355639/Counter-terrorist-training-exercise-days-7-7-entirely-coincidence.html
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
UPDATED: 12:07 EDT, 10 February 2011

There was a drill on the very day of the 7/7 attacks which covered the exact underground stations which were then hit by bombings. Alex Jones covered it very well in the excellent "Terrorstorm" film - I only wish that Infowars was still in the business of exposing false flags.

Terrorstorm— Clip: The 7/7 Attacks in London
https://youtu.be/pgTrMbA7cTY?t=15m14s

Offline freedom_commonsense

What UK laws might be changed (read: enhanced) if a terrorist attack were to be perpetrated on a boat? Is there a different set of laws that relate to vessels on water? Might be interesting to find out.. in advance.

If it's in the UK's waters (up to 12 miles offshore) the laws are the same.